OT: Herr’s Flavored by Philly Contest

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Middleswarth chips make me sick to my stomach. Herr’s has some good flavors but, to me, Utz rules the roost. Mike’s Hot Honey chips are the bomb as are the Carolina BBQ. Zapp’s are also good as are Dirty chips (both owned by Utz). York and Lancaster counties are ground zero for snacks.

• Haha
Reactions: MaconNitt

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Middleswarth chips make me sick to my stomach. Herr’s has some good flavors but, to me, Utz rules the roost. Mike’s Hot Honey chips are the bomb as are the Carolina BBQ. Zapp’s are also good as are Dirty chips (both owned by Utz). York and Lancaster counties are ground zero for snacks.

Long discussed board topic for sure, and my favorites as a kid were Snyder's of Berlin (Western PA). Utz, Herr's, Snyder's of Hanover, etc. are excellent though and NoVA is a chip wasteland (it's all Lay's and Kettle). Bleh.

Reactions: rudedude

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
My stomach feels like crap when I eat them, probably how they are cooked.

That's a bummer.

On that note, public service announcement: don't ever EVER eat the spicy wings from Popeyes. Just go to a volcano and eat lava instead.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Then don't ****ing eat them.

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
No really met fresh year. Camped out for dorms in east
My old girl friend Maura's family has a cabin at Augusta. Daddy was the USGA Secretary and a member, and a member at Pine Valley, and a member at Cypress Point, Seminole, and on and on.

They owned a mountain w/ a golf course in NC.

I asked her about her family one time and she told me her Great-Great-Grandaddy helped start a company called Georgia Pacific - "I don't know if you've heard of it" she said.

For years every Masters weekend I'd hear from my Dad telling me how I messed that one up.

Last edited:

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
My old girl friend Maura's family has a cabin at Augusta. Daddy was the USGA Secretary and a member, and a member at Pine Valley, and a member at Cypress Point, Seminole, and on and on.

I asked her about her family one time and she told me her Great-Great-Grandaddy helped start a company called Georgia Pacific - "I don't know if you've heard of it" she said.

For years every Masters weekend I'd hear from my Dad telling me how I messed that one up.
Your dad may have been right...

Reactions: MtNittany

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021

For you young ones out there - I always thought it would get better, though Maura is/was beautiful. It didn't. Don't eff around.

You see an opportunity like this - don't let go.

BeerLion

Oct 12, 2021
I appreciate the Philly area chip producers. But they're all still playing for 2nd place in PA.

Although I agree Middleswarth are now best. I haven't had a great chips since Troyer Farms sold their chip business to Bickel’s Snack Foods back in 2008. Then Bickel's immediately ruined them.

Attachments

• troyerfarmpotatochips.jpg
    troyerfarmpotatochips.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 0

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
Such a sensitive stomach. What was he drinking that day?

Excuse me for going off topic, but when I saw this post my mind immediately went back to Pittsburgh, the Fall of 1978. I was in the dearly missed Original Hot Dog House, “the Dirty O” as it was known. I had to pick something to drink from their extensive beer menu, I saw the Mickey’s and chose that. I still remember that taste.. what it must be like to drink deer piss.

• Haha

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
On the topic of flavored salty snacks, the new Smartfood popcorn flavored with Dorito's nacho cheese is the BOMB!

so good

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Here's hoping a "Hawk Tuah" flavored chip is NOT on the horizon.
Or "Kensington Meth" flavored chip.

• Haha

LB99

Oct 27, 2021

I like Middleswarth because I grew up eating them along with Gibble’s (Nibble with Gibble’s), but I don’t eat chips very often any more and when I eat Middleswarth I realize how greasy they are. Herr’s Honey BBQ is my pick if I splurge on chips now.

Reactions: ODShowtime

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Sorry. I didn’t realize Hawk Tuah was a Philly thing.
I’m still trying to figure what the hell Hawk Tuah is, at all. Been a few days. Internet is gonna internet, I guess.

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
I’m still trying to figure what the hell Hawk Tuah is, at all. Been a few days. Internet is gonna internet, I guess.
I was thinking, "at your age, if you don't know by now, you probably will not. Poor guy."

... Then I thought, it is a sound that is made, so you would not have heard it, but you would know if you felt it.

Auxgym

Oct 13, 2021
I have always hated Herr's chips. They seemed like a choice I made only when nothing else was available. Overprocessed and lacking natural flavor. My many visits to the Philly area always left me feeling sorry for the people there who never knew any better.

My enforced diet has long had me avoiding what was once my snack of choice. Utz, Goods, Middlesworths were my favorites. Back in my youth the can of Charles Chips rarely made it beyond the delivery date.

People who need flavored chips are no better than the restaurant patrons who smother their prime rib in sauce.

My quadruple bypass surgeries (yes multiple), and all the negative complications I suffered as an outcome, was the result of my love for chips and fried foods. Was it worth it? Damn right it was worth it,
I bought a bag of the Jalapeño chips a couple months ago. First time I've had Herr's in a long time. The salt and seasoning to my taste was too much and didn't finish the bag ... and I like chips.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login