OT: Highly Concerning - MS Labor Participation Rate 53.8%

Status
Not open for further replies.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Basically half the able bodied people eligible to work in Mississippi aren't working. This is a really bad sign. In the 90s, the LPR was close to 68%. The national average is 62.5 percent, so we are nearly 10 points behind. The top three reasons for Mississippians not being in the labor force:

1. Increased dependent care needs
2. Fear of getting COVID
3. Higher Unemployment Benefits*

I can have some sympathy for childcare needs. Don't get me started on fear of COVID in 2024, but the third one is interesting. Mississippi has the LOWEST unemployment benefits in the nation at $255/week max. It's not taxed, so it's roughly equal to a minimum wage job where you get 40 hours per week. This tells me that the jobs in Mississippi are generally crappy jobs that pay very little. No wonder people are leaving our state after graduation. Where are they going to work?

I haven't seen the data, but someone told me that 70% of MSU Engineering grads leave Mississippi because there aren't jobs available for them. We are educating the workforce of Huntsville, Houston and other high tech cities.

The good news is that the unemployment rate is 2.8%, which means practically everyone that wants a job has a job.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Basically half the able bodied people eligible to work in Mississippi aren't working. This is a really bad sign. In the 90s, the LPR was close to 68%. The national average is 62.5 percent, so we are nearly 10 points behind. The top three reasons for Mississippians not being in the labor force:

2. Fear of getting COVID

I can have some sympathy for childcare needs. Don't get me started on fear of COVID in 2024, but the third one is interesting. Mississippi has the LOWEST unemployment benefits in the nation at $255/week max. It's not taxed, so it's roughly equal to a minimum wage job where you get 40 hours per week. This tells me that the jobs in Mississippi are generally crappy jobs that pay very little. No wonder people are leaving our state after graduation. Where are they going to work?

I haven't seen the data, but someone told me that 70% of MSU Engineering grads leave Mississippi because there aren't jobs available for them. We are educating the workforce of Huntsville, Houston and other high tech cities.

The good news is that the unemployment rate is 2.8%, which means practically everyone that wants a job has a job.
People are still afraid of COVID? Yikes

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Putting my opinion in a separate post so not to muddy the facts.

We have to do something. I know there is a push to eliminate income tax but I'm not sure that's enough. We have to ensure that our students have somewhere to work.

I'm not against incentivizing students who stay in Mississippi with some sort of student loan forgiveness. We are headed toward <50% labor participation very quickly. That will destroy what economy Mississippi has. It won't matter about having a Top Golf.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
#2 & #3 makes me think there is a 2-3 year lag on this data
The UE and LPR is current. The survey data is from March.

Anecdotical, but I just had a friend go through a season of unemployment. Something is amiss with the economy. Highly qualified, no red flags, and could not get interviews. Was thinking about applying to food service management when thankfully a job offer came.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Makes sense actually.

Mississippi is one of the five worst states in the nation when it comes to health outcomes.

#2 & #3 makes me think there is a 2-3 year lag on this data
That wouldn’t be surprising for #2 but at the same time don’t be surprised if it continues to be a factor given what I mentioned above.

The UE and LPR is current. The survey data is from March.

Okay. What I said about #2 might make more sense then.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008

2. Fear of getting COVID

you're a bit misguided on a couple of things. if someone was getting unemployment benefits, they would still be reflected in the unemployment number. so, that's not the reason for the labor participation high number. the labor participation rate number is people who have never filed for unemployment, or people who have exhausted their unemployment benefits, but choose not to work at a W-2 or 1099 job, for whatever reason. they may be working at a cash payout job, or not working at all.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
you're a bit misguided on a couple of things. if someone was getting unemployment benefits, they would still be reflected in the unemployment number. so, that's not the reason for the labor participation high number.
I put the asterisk and didn't qualify it. The top reasons are from a survey, so it's not an official reason listed with MDES.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Makes sense actually.

Mississippi is one of the five worst states in the nation when it comes to health outcomes.

That wouldn’t be surprising for #2 but at the same time don’t be surprised if it continues to be a factor given what I mentioned above.

Make those weight loss drugs easily accessible to Mississippi and our whole world would change here. But, it's America and the drug companies get rich at the expense of the people's wellbeing.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

We have to do something. I know there is a push to eliminate income tax but I'm not sure that's enough. We have to ensure that our students have somewhere to work.

I’m thinking it’s more and more lately that it’s less feasible to eliminate state income tax. Too many agencies need long term sustained funding (e.g., K12, prisons, PERS, highway Infrastructure, etc.)

I'm not against incentivizing students who stay in Mississippi with some sort of student loan forgiveness. We are headed toward <50% labor participation very quickly. That will destroy what economy Mississippi has. It won't matter about having a Top Golf.

Exactly.

Elected officials talk about students majoring in career-oriented fields but many of them who do just that go out of state.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Makes sense actually.

So it “makes sense” to you that there are people living in fear of COVID so much that they refuse to work? Explain

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
So it “makes sense” to you that there are people living in fear of COVID so much that they refuse to work? Explain
Do you want to work someplace that gives you a whole lot of stress and you feel like crap all the time?

Of course not.

I’m positive there are people who feel that way about working in close quarters with folks with hacking coughs because they know even if it’s not Covid they’re likely under the weather and have to work because:

1. They’re really poor
2. Mississippi’s workforce policies are employer friendly

Eventually folks reach a breaking point and decide to 17 it.

Reactions: Villagedawg

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I’m thinking it’s more and more lately that it’s less feasible to eliminate state income tax. Too many agencies need long term sustained funding (e.g., K12, prisons, PERS, highway Infrastructure, etc.)

Exactly.

Elected officials talk about students majoring in career-oriented fields but many of them who do just that go out of state.
I once worked for a large company everyone would be familiar with. They paid less in MS for the same jobs than the rest of their 20 state footprint using cost of living as the excuse. Guess what, cost of living is basically the same in most of the SE.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008

More people died than ever in our history in a 2 year time frame (most were 40-60 years old). You can say it was deaths from other things but the fact remains that more people died than ever before. That takes its toll and grief is different for people.

It's an irrational fear at this point but we all have those in various things. It is an irrational fear of death and sickness. Thankfully our collective immune systems know what Covid is now even though it mutates reguarly.

CoastTrash

Aug 22, 2012
where is Dan Mullen when we need him. He changed the culture of Mississippi state sports…maybe he can do the same for our state.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Do you want to work someplace that gives you a whole lot of stress and you feel like crap all the time?

Of course not.

I’m positive there are people who feel that way about working in close quarters with folks with hacking coughs because they know even if it’s not Covid they’re likely under the weather and have to work because:

1. They’re really poor
2. Mississippi’s workforce policies are employer friendly

Eventually folks reach a breaking point and decide to 17 it.
So able-bodied people who are poor should just stay at home and live off the government because working is too difficult. Got it. Well At least you’re open about it.

By your rationale, every healthy person should stay home because they may die in a car wreck on the way to work.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Correct. And the states around us that don’t have it, have other attractions that bring in money to make it viable.

And if we are going to cut it, cut it all the way and advertise it. Don’t just lower it, because we’re still in a position where the perception is that we have state tax.

Mississippians truly don’t get it. And many of them don’t want the state to grow. That’s fine, but they also aren’t doing the things needed to sustain.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
So able-bodied people who are poor should just stay at home and live off the government because working is too difficult. Got it. Well At least you’re open about it.

You’re right to a certain extent.

I know a few people who quit positions in the service industry because their employers treat them like crap.

And considering how many people don’t want to work, it’s difficult for employers to keep people.

So that means you must be in favor of guaranteed mandatory 20 percent gratuities at restaurants.

By your rationale, every healthy person should stay home because they may die in a car wreck on the way to work.

See above.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
You’re right to a certain extent.

I know a few people who quit positions in the service industry because their employers treat them like crap.

And considering how many people don’t want to work, it’s difficult for employers to keep people.

So that means you must be in favor of guaranteed mandatory 20 percent gratuities at restaurants.

See above.

Let me teach you a lesson that was taught to me at a very young age: life is not fair.

Some people start ahead, some people behind. But America has always been a place where if you show up and work hard you will get rewarded. The answer is to not sit at home and play the victim.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
How do we fix it? I have become more and more discouraged. My children, who have had the benefit of growing up in Madison, want nothing to do with this state. My friend set, full of parents of high school and college aged children, is seeing the same. The best and brightest don't mind going to State and Ole Miss, but they have no intentions of staying in Mississippi.

My wife is a PERS employee, she has 10 more years and we'll likely end up leaving as well if our kids follow through.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
How many of the 53% works for the Government in one form or another, Federal, State, County or City. That number could really be the scary number.
1,198,600 workers in the state, 239,900 work for fed/state/county/city government

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Some do, thus the participation rate numbers, and those are likely the bums........but many of the good ones are deciding to move out of state to find better jobs. I.e., brain drain.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Let me teach you a lesson that was taught to me at a very young age: life is not fair.

Some people start ahead, some people behind. But America has always been a place where if you show up and work hard you will get rewarded. The answer is to not sit at home and play the victim.
LOL. I’m a white academy boy who started ahead so I know the game.

Here’s the thing: Mississippi is the home of the most people in the nation who are behind.

And at the same time, the Ahead Kids want to leave Mississippi because it’s a Behind State.

Once you realize it, you’ll know that there’s got to be some change here in the state.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
LOL. I’m a white academy boy who started ahead so I know the game.

Here’s the thing: Mississippi is the home of the most people in the nation who are behind.

And at the same time, the Ahead Kids want to leave Mississippi because it’s a Behind State.

Once you realize it, you’ll know that there’s got to be some change here in the state.
No doubt there’s always room for change and improvement. But your answers seem to be to blame shift and live off the government. How does that help anyone? Do you know how expensive it is to run a business these days? You can’t act like employees need to start at $60k a year. The math doesn’t math. You’ll end up like California where they’re having to get rid of thousands of jobs.

• Haha

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012

Do you have a link to the data?

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
More people died than ever in our history in a 2 year time frame (most were 40-60 years old). You can say it was deaths from other things but the fact remains that more people died than ever before. That takes its toll and grief is different for people.

It's an irrational fear at this point but we all have those in various things. It is an irrational fear of death and sickness. Thankfully our collective immune systems know what Covid is now even though it mutates reguarly.
Respectfully, after all the facts that have came out regarding COVID, and knowing what we know now, the answer is not to be “awww it’s okay, stay home if you have the sniffles!” We should be angry the government lied to us for years.

If you are a healthy individual and are terrified of COVID in the summer of 2024, I feel terrible for you, because whoever is still feeding you fear is not your friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.