OT - Holy moly, have y'all seen this? Richland Walmart Hostage Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Go to 1min45sec and listen to the inspiration for a Family Guy character. h/t the twitter feed.

As for this incident, the fear on that Walmart employees face was tough to see. So many people suck in life.
This unfortunately isnt new- hostages have been taken for decades now. This single incident doesnt mean all of society is going downhill.
Really sad to see this ever happen.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
^OP apparently hasn't heard of Florida...

Violent crime is way down, spiked in the 90s. But let's not let facts get in the way of a narrative.
More of this bleeding heart, left wing 5hit.

I don't need manipulated metrics from Huffington Post to tell me that it's infinitely more dangerous on the streets than it was ten years ago.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
^OP apparently hasn't heard of Florida...

Violent crime is way down, spiked in the 90s. But let's not let facts get in the way of a narrative.
what's the narrative? that crime is rampant? just because its lower doesn't make it non rampant

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
go walk n. state street from fondren to Meadowbrook around 1 am, and see if you make it past Meadowbrook alive or without getting mugged. betting odds say you won't
This doesnt counter what the other poster said. He said violent crime is way down and that it spiked a quarter century ago. You posting this in response does not disprove anything.
The other poster did not claim violent crime no longer exists. The other poster did not claim you can now walk anywhere at any time without a concern.

We have 330million people in this country- that means there are going to be a lot who lie, a lot who break laws, a lot who werent raise well, a lot who dont have support and access to whatever they need, etc etc. There will always be issues, but on a per capita basis, violent crime is down significantly. Below is a chart for easy understanding..

In 2021, the most recent year with available data, there were 16.5 violent crimes for every 1,000 Americans ages 12 and older. That was statistically unchanged from the year before, below pre-pandemic levels and far below the rates recorded in the 1990s, according to the National Crime Victimization Survey.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
This doesnt counter what the other poster said. He said violent crime is way down and that it spiked a quarter century ago. You posting this in response does not disprove anything.
The other poster did not claim violent crime no longer exists. The other poster did not claim you can now walk anywhere at any time without a concern.

We have 330million people in this country- that means there are going to be a lot who lie, a lot who break laws, a lot who werent raise well, a lot who dont have support and access to whatever they need, etc etc. There will always be issues, but on a per capita basis, violent crime is down significantly. Below is a chart for easy understanding..

the easily triggered chimes in. you can make statistics say anything you want them to say. you're smart enough to know that

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

I don't need manipulated metrics from Huffington Post to tell me that it's infinitely more dangerous on the streets than it was ten years ago.
So.....how DO you know that it's more dangerous than it was 10 years ago?

Tell me, specifically. We all know you have a history of gathering facts from the book of face, :ROFLMAO:

I'm no libtard, but the generally accepted opinion (and backed up by the best 'facts' we have) point toward the streets being safer today, at least per capita, and especially for normal, everyday decent people.

Reactions: dorndawg

BossDawg78

Jan 25, 2015

From prosecutors refusing to charge someone to more liberal-leaning laws that let people off, there are plenty of articles available that show how these crime statistics can be inaccurate or misinterpreted. I'll let you do the digging. You have to be naive as hell to really think crime isn't increasing. The fact that the small agricultural town I lived in has increased the number of patrolmen on duty over time is just one small clue that society is changing, and not because we are singing too loud in church.

Last edited:

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006

Go listen to more of your right wing conspiracy perspectives from your white fright news network (fox) and feel justified.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Go listen to more of your right wing conspiracy perspectives from your white fright news network (fox) and feel justified.
I'm not a right wing conspiracy theorist. Denying that there's a law and order issue in this country relative to the past is not only dishonest, it's a blatant attack on common sense. Go piss on someone else's boots....maybe you can convince them that it's raining.

Last edited:

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
So.....how DO you know that it's more dangerous than it was 10 years ago?

Tell me, specifically. We all know you have a history of gathering facts from the book of face, :ROFLMAO:

I'm no libtard, but the generally accepted opinion (and backed up by the best 'facts' we have) point toward the streets being safer today, at least per capita, and especially for normal, everyday decent people.
I was alive ten years ago, raising and supporting a family, and I'm alive today, raising and supporting a family. I'm fully aware of things I could do freely ten years ago that I can't do today without taking precautions.

You may not be a libtard, but you're halfway there.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
I'm not a right wing conspiracy theorist. Denying that there's not a law and order issue in this country relative to the past is not only dishonest, it's a blatant attack on common sense. Go piss on someone else's boots....maybe you can convince them that it's raining.
Never denied there is a law/order issue going on, but the reality is it is not a political reason for such as you implied. It's the devolution of society. #pissoff

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Never denied there is a law/order issue going on, but the reality is it is not a political reason for such as you implied. It's the devolution of society. #pissoff
A crime problem is not political. Denying there's a crime problem is political. Your initial response is a great example.

Our reaction to how we fix the crime problem varies based on political persuasion as well.

#trytokeepup

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022

It might help the stats when California and NYC no longer consider or report 2 of these 4 categories as violent crimes.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
So those of you who may be in criminal justice careers, how abnormal is it to see a woman take someone hostage? I thought they just pulled each other’s weaves out on Black Friday?

Reactions: stateu1

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
the easily triggered chimes in. you can make statistics say anything you want them to say. you're smart enough to know that
How am I easily triggered? I posted a funny comparison I found within the twitter feed(seriously, the voice is spot on), said it sucks to see this stuff happen, and pointed out that actual data doesnt support the narrative of its more dangerous now.
I have been quite calm and reasoned, and even posted up something funny. My posts have been emotionless.

...yet I am apparently easily triggered.

I agree, statistics can be interpreted or skewed to say many things. Lemme know what statistics you have to show violent crime is comparatively high right now. There should be plenty of studies to support this, since as you mention- statistics can be interpreted to say anything.
Ill give you a head start- I believe murder is up right now.
Here is an article you could start with since it asks if the US violent crime rate is up. Spoiler, it may be tough to find clear stats to support your narrative. I guess if you compare this past year with 2014, you could make it look like violent crime is on the rise. That would be disingenuous, but you could do it. https://www.bbc.com/news/57581270

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
A crime problem is not political. Denying there's a crime problem is political. Your initial response is a great example.

Our reaction to how we fix the crime problem varies based on political persuasion as well.

#trytokeepup
Um, so who is denying the chart that was posted? Hmmmmmm

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
Am I the only one that noticed that glfr abruptly returned to posting as soon as we stopped mourning Coach Leach?

Thumbs Down

Sep 29, 2022
How am I easily triggered? I posted a funny comparison I found within the twitter feed(seriously, the voice is spot on), said it sucks to see this stuff happen, and pointed out that actual data doesnt support the narrative of its more dangerous now.
I have been quite calm and reasoned, and even posted up something funny. My posts have been emotionless.

...yet I am apparently easily triggered.

I agree, statistics can be interpreted or skewed to say many things. Lemme know what statistics you have to show violent crime is comparatively high right now. There should be plenty of studies to support this, since as you mention- statistics can be interpreted to say anything.
Ill give you a head start- I believe murder is up right now.
Here is an article you could start with since it asks if the US violent crime rate is up. Spoiler, it may be tough to find clear stats to support your narrative. I guess if you compare this past year with 2014, you could make it look like violent crime is on the rise. That would be disingenuous, but you could do it. https://www.bbc.com/news/57581270
New York Yankees Reaction GIF by MLB

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
go walk n. state street from fondren to Meadowbrook around 1 am, and see if you make it past Meadowbrook alive or without getting mugged. betting odds say you won't
I grew up in that area, chief. I wouldn't have made it back in the 90s either.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I was alive ten years ago, raising and supporting a family, and I'm alive today, raising and supporting a family. I'm fully aware of things I could do freely ten years ago that I can't do today without taking precautions.

You may not be a libtard, but you're halfway there.
Its been said before and Ive been lit up for it, but it deserves being said again-

If someone thinks their town/metro/region is not save and they have the ability to move elsewhere, do it. I get that family keeps many back(kids in school, parents nearby, etc) and job keeps many from viewing relocation as possible. For those who feel like they could move and those that could move but use a reason above as an easy excuse- actually do it. Move out of an area that you think is dangerous. I have lived all over this country- there are a lot of places where cost of living is manageable and violent crime is not a concern. If someone is able to afford a home and 2 cars in a mid-level or nicer Jackson suburb, that level of living exists in many other places of the country for similar cost(+/-).

It would really frustrate me to not be able to do something I felt comfortable doing just 10 years ago- walking a dog at night, hiking in woods, walking in the city- whatever else.
That feeling has to be both frustrating and concerning, since every parent considers their kids in this sort of scenario.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Geez you're dumb. A chart was posted, you've denied it (without reason or evidence), then said OTHERS are denying things out of politics.

Crime IS a problem. But irs not new or unique, as the 90s states PROVE. if you can't start with that admission, then you are not making a good faith effort to do anything about the problem. You're just trolling cause Fox told you to, little puppet.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Am I the only one that noticed that glfr abruptly returned to posting as soon as we stopped mourning Coach Leach?
I didnt post much last week. Since last Friday I have participated in 11 threads and posted 8 times about sports and 12 times not about sports. I attended the MSU Drake game a couple nights ago, otherwise I would have posted more in a couple of those threads. Even though we lost, I would much rather watch in person and was really happy to have had the opportunity to go.

I am not sure what your point is and why you tied my recent posting history to Coach Leach. I was unaware the mourning of Leach ended on a certain date. Must have missed that memo.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Its been said before and Ive been lit up for it, but it deserves being said again-

If someone thinks their town/metro/region is not save and they have the ability to move elsewhere, do it. I get that family keeps many back(kids in school, parents nearby, etc) and job keeps many from viewing relocation as possible. For those who feel like they could move and those that could move but use a reason above as an easy excuse- actually do it. Move out of an area that you think is dangerous. I have lived all over this country- there are a lot of places where cost of living is manageable and violent crime is not a concern. If someone is able to afford a home and 2 cars in a mid-level or nicer Jackson suburb, that level of living exists in many other places of the country for similar cost(+/-).

It would really frustrate me to not be able to do something I felt comfortable doing just 10 years ago- walking a dog at night, hiking in woods, walking in the city- whatever else.
That feeling has to be both frustrating and concerning, since every parent considers their kids in this sort of scenario.
So, glfr, did you unblock me just to respond in this thread?

Inquiring minds n 5hit.

As to your post, it's not entirely offensive. But my position is this....where I live is my home. I've lived here for the better part of four decades. It's not a reasonable response to expect me to move. The reasonable response is to fix the problem. If we empowered the police to start cracking skulls, the problem will go away. Invariably, you and people of your ilk will inject race into that statement. It has nothing to do with race and everything to do with holding criminals, regardless of their color or social standing, accountable for their actions and making the streets safe for all people, regardless of color or social standing, who want to feel free enough to go out and enjoy themselves and live their lives in peace.

Criminals don't fear breaking the law anymore, because more and more, we're watering down the definition of violent crime and letting criminals off easy, or not prosecuting them at all. There are major cities in this country that actually are pushing to eliminate cash bail. There are major cities in this country that have actually publicized that they're not going to prosecute for theft less than $900, encouraging people to grab armfuls of stuff from shelves without repercussion. And of course, if anyone disagrees with this stuff, they're labeled racist.

In some middle eastern countries, the punishment for theft is cutting off a finger. As a coincidence, they don't have crime problems. I'm not advocating barbaric measures like that, but it's going to take something drastic to fix it. And ignoring the problem, or suggesting we run away from it and cede our homes to criminals are not the answers.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I didnt post much last week. Since last Friday I have participated in 11 threads and posted 8 times about sports and 12 times not about sports. I attended the MSU Drake game a couple nights ago, otherwise I would have posted more in a couple of those threads. Even though we lost, I would much rather watch in person and was really happy to have had the opportunity to go.

I am not sure what your point is and why you tied my recent posting history to Coach Leach. I was unaware the mourning of Leach ended on a certain date. Must have missed that memo.
He's saying the majority of your posting is in controversial/political threads.

Which is true.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
do what? That was just a chart with data from crime stats. Who do you believe is manipulating that simple data? How are they doing it, specifically?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login