OT: How do you consume music?

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
When I was a kid, I bought CDs. It was ridiculously inefficient. I heard one song I liked on the radio and bought an entire album for $12 (or whatever it was), which was more than $12 today.

Then, I started illegally downloading music when that became available and before I realized how unethical it was.

Then, I started legally downloading music from iTunes and listening on my iPod.

Then, I started streaming music on apps like Spotify, sometimes paying for the ads to be removed.

Now, I barely listen to music on streaming apps. If I want to hear a song or playlist, I'll search for it on YouTube or something. I also don't find new music very often. Is that just part of getting older? Do we eventually stop looking for new music?

I'm curious how other people consume music these days.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Free versions of Spotify, Pandora, YouTube and Amazon Music. Occasionally will subscribe to Sirius when I get a good offer in the mail. Sound Garden is an app that hosts radio stations from around the world. I like to sit outside and browse it when I've got the smoker or grill going and a beer in my hand, there's some really interesting stuff you can hear from most any country anywhere. Ukraine is shut down now and some Russian stations but most countries are represented

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
Apple Music almost 100%. The only time I check YouTube for music is if the artist or group releases some visuals for a song I want to see.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I wish people would quit using the word consume for shlt other than food, fuel, etc. Shlt that actually disappears and gets turned into other shlt. It's like you think we're all robots.

I listen to music. I watch shows on TV. I consume food.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I wish people would quit using the word consume for shlt other than food, fuel, etc. Shlt that actually disappears and gets turned into other shlt. It's like you think we're all robots.

Sorry Home Alone GIF by filmeditor

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
I had most music I wanted on CDs when downloadable music became a thing, so I just ripped all my CDs into my iTunes library and continued to buy individual songs or albums. Once streaming came along, in a given year, I never spent more money on ad hoc than I would've on ad-free streaming, so I continued to stick with ad hoc.
My teenage daughter has attempted to argue for paying for streaming. With her having access to my library and having helped her purchase several songs/albums, I've presented the ad hoc numbers. It's not even close cost-wise, but being a teenage female, she is still itching to start handing over money to Spotify just so she can go her own way.

Last edited:

kired

Aug 22, 2008
XM and pandora. But I have no idea how to find new music.

I feel sorry for my kids, they don’t have new stuff to listen to like we did and really don’t have any interest in music. They just listen to whatever I have on

Reactions: ll Martain ll

RivaDawg

Feb 26, 2008
I pay for Pandora (no ads) and Spotify (family plan). I listen more to music on Pandora and listen to podcast (Dan Lebatard show) on Spotify. Lebatard show puts out 2.5-3.5 hours a day of content, so I listen to that more than I listen to music. Listen to music when doing something that requires not paying attention; grilling, hanging out around the pool, etc.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
XM, a little on spotify, and just a handful of stuff I purchased on iTunes.

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
When I was a kid, I bought CDs. It was ridiculously inefficient. I heard one song I liked on the radio and bought an entire album for $12 (or whatever it was), which was more than $12 today.

Then, I started illegally downloading music when that became available and before I realized how unethical it was.

Then, I started streaming music on apps like Spotify, sometimes paying for the ads to be removed.

Now, I barely listen to music on streaming apps. If I want to hear a song or playlist, I'll search for it on YouTube or something. I also don't find new music very often. Is that just part of getting older? Do we eventually stop looking for new music?

I pretty much followed your arc, except I started with 8-tracks. Albums, then cassettes, then taping albums to cassette, CD's, Napster, Bittorrent, and now pretty much Amazon for a specific song or Sirius for a genre and let it play. Only radio I listen to is sports-talk.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
If I have a choice, Spotify. By myself and happy. Most of my music consumption is forced by my 8 year old. Who has two thumbs and knows all the lyrics to the Zombies 1, 2, and 3 soundtracks?

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022

You must be born in the late 70's/early 80's like me. Same story

Reactions: Darryl Steight

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Pandora mostly

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Fair point but odd pet peeve

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
In 2007, I started buying one album when I had extra money. I now own a pretty large library of music. I used to have an extensive library of downloaded music, but I slowly lost it. I can download and listen to any one of these songs that I want to through iTunes, and I don't have to download them on my physical drive. I've listen to SiriusXM through my Alexa and the car radio.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

I was identical to you up to your current process.
I listen to music all the time thru playlists I've created on Amazon Music, as well as various 'stations' on Amazon Music that play songs similar to whatever band I enter.

When driving alone in the car I listen to music less frequently than I used to - I prefer podcasts now.
But exercise, yard work, coaching practices, family trips- it's music for sure.

What's fascinating is how so many don't own any music or movies like they used to. It's all just dependent on paying for rental services now(or YouTube and ads).
I think there are upsides and downsides to both realities- not sure which is 'better' in my eyes though.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
I was identical to you up to your current process.
I listen to music all the time thru playlists I've created on Amazon Music, as well as various 'stations' on Amazon Music that play songs similar to whatever band I enter.

When driving alone in the car I listen to music less frequently than I used to - I prefer podcasts now.
But exercise, yard work, coaching practices, family trips- it's music for sure.

What's fascinating is how so many don't own any music or movies like they used to. It's all just dependent on paying for rental services now(or YouTube and ads).
I think there are upsides and downsides to both realities- not sure which is 'better' in my eyes though.
I’m at the point I have just chosen to embrace technology. I’m ok just “renting” it as long as I have complete access 24/7

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login