OT: How do you consume music?

nedog

May 29, 2016
When I was a kid, I bought CDs. It was ridiculously inefficient. I heard one song I liked on the radio and bought an entire album for $12 (or whatever it was), which was more than $12 today.

Then, I started illegally downloading music when that became available and before I realized how unethical it was.

Then, I started legally downloading music from iTunes and listening on my iPod.

Then, I started streaming music on apps like Spotify, sometimes paying for the ads to be removed.

Now, I barely listen to music on streaming apps. If I want to hear a song or playlist, I'll search for it on YouTube or something. I also don't find new music very often. Is that just part of getting older? Do we eventually stop looking for new music?

I'm curious how other people consume music these days.
Started out with AM radio, WLS, WHBQ, Rick Dees in da morning. Then FM radio, 8 track tapes and then albums which we recorded to 8 tracks, then cassettes. Listoning to FM if home it be Mempho radio and when traveling south WZZQ out of Jackson. Now I download off torrents (that's illegal huh) I still record to CDs and use Spotify.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
I wish people would quit using the word consume for shlt other than food, fuel, etc. Shlt that actually disappears and gets turned into other shlt. It's like you think we're all robots.

I listen to music. I watch shows on TV. I consume food.
I thought the same thing but should we rename the Consumer Price Index?

• Haha

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Fair point but odd pet peeve
I get it but I don’t like thinking of people as consuming robots. Steven Godfrey says that stupid shlt about “consuming college football” on the Split Zone podcast (which I listen to, yeah yeah), and I hate it. It’s reducing people to being all the same, which I realize we are on a certain level.

But I pride myself in being a free thinking individual, so it’s a trigger point for me.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

nedog

May 29, 2016
Thinking bout getting a turntable. I miss the fresh crisp sound of vinyl.
I have a turntable but most my vinyls are so scratched. Like your favorite song of an album would be the 4th song and after a little drink you'd just slide it on down to it....I was so dumb back then but had fun.

Reactions: Anon1704414204

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Radio in the car, XM sometimes if I’m in a rental vehicle.
At home it’s Alexa, play ….. or if outside on the deck grilling/drinking or have a party, (women at the kitchen bar) turn on the
UE Boom and open Spotify and go to one of about 20 playlists I’ve created.

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
Spotify family plan. For $15 a month 6 users have access to every song ever. Who cares that I don't have a physical copy. Would take up too much space anyway

Aug 23, 2012
XM and Apple Music. I abhor most streaming services like Spotify and Pandora. Too cheap to pay the subscription and I will not listen to a service with ads.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
I wish people would quit using the word consume for shlt other than food, fuel, etc. Shlt that actually disappears and gets turned into other shlt.
I have some disturbing news for you regarding the Law of Conservation of Matter.

Prediction? Pain.

Jun 2, 2013
Most of my listening occurs on my car stereo and in my kitchen via a Klipsch smart speaker, so streaming makes more sense than most other mediums. We use Deezer. Not sure the lossless quality sounds better than 320 kbps in my car, but I think it does on my amp and floor speakers at home. (Or at least that's the lie I've chosen to believe . . . .)

I've still got my collection of 500 or so CDs from back in the day, and I listen to those some, too, if I'm in the room with our stereo. Same goes with vinyl, though my collection of LPs is smaller. Mostly jazz at this point, other than my massive Pink Floyd collection. And even then, with my Wiim devices, streaming on my stereo is hard to beat.

I resisted paying for a streaming service for a long time. For years I used a USB drive in my car that had about 2500 songs ripped from CDs. And then at home, I'd just listen to CDs and records. But I started having a hard time justifying buying new albums all the time when a streaming subscription would cover the costs of the albums for me and my wife, cater to my recent habit of listening in places away from my stereo like my kitchen, and give my kids a way to explore things as they get older.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
XM and pandora. But I have no idea how to find new music.

I feel sorry for my kids, they don’t have new stuff to listen to like we did and really don’t have any interest in music. They just listen to whatever I have on
The last new music is probably hip hop and that was created in the 1970s. Music had a technology revolution from 1965 - 1975. This is when all sorts of actual new tech was invented and recording music changed dramatically over that time frame. Ever since the Beatles, Pink Floyd, and Led Zeppelin there has been no new rock. Hip hop hasn't really changed since the early pioneers in that genre. Pop and Country, which are basically one in the same now, hasn't really developed since the 50s. I thought computers would allow for another revolution, but it seems that was just used to streamline the current genres. Maybe there were some who tried to do new stuff like EDM but it never really caught on.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I resisted streaming for the longest time.

But then I had to buy a new car.

New cars don’t have CD players but do have SiriusXM.

I’ve quit buying CDs because I rarely play them at home.

I never got into vinyl. The record industry went away from them shortly after I bought albums.

Albums have made a comeback but the better listening ambience argument doesn’t work for a guy who’s partially deaf— digital is the way to go.

Also it seems like the big argument for vinyl is collectibility— which I don’t buy.

And of course they’ve long since gotten away from cassettes.

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
This year was the 1st year since the release of the first CD that records out-sold CDs.

and another interesting side note. A sealed VHS copy of Back to the Future just auctioned off for over 300K

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
I've had YouTube Music since I was a beta tester of Google Play Music for $6 a month. Still have it for that price, and love that it gets me YouTube Premium.

However, I have about 40GB or so of music on my phone that I stream via PowerAmp or AIM in my car. There are lots of "ways" to download any music I want permanently from YouTube, but I've gotten most of what I want over the years since I bought my first Creative Nomad MP3 player in the late 90s. I think it held an album's worth of MP3s.

WGWFA

Oct 12, 2021
I use Pandora. Wish I had time for podcasts- my commute for work is 10 mins and once I get out of my neighborhood everything is right there; takes the fun out of it.

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
I read the pack then write my own songs about the stupid schit that gets posted here. I’m working on one right now about an old crotchety m17er who doesn’t want anybody to think he’s a 17ing robot.

• Haha

aspendawg

Sep 10, 2009
Mainly spotify - I work from my home office so I listen to music pretty much all day.

But I also have a completely recapped 1972 Marantz 2230 receiver and a 1982 TEAC V9 Cassette player with an orbit record player. Have been collecting vinyl for a while and the tape deck is mainly for the 100's of live Dead and Widespread Panic shows I have on cassette.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
I'm exclusively spotify for music and podcast. Ive even started using spotify for Audiobooks if my library app has a book checked out

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
In the late 80's or early 90's I started buying CDs. Then went away from those and started streaming because I apparently didn't give a crap about the quality of the music. Napster, etc.

Then when I got out of college and started earning what I consider "real money" I bought my speaker set (Bowers & Wilkins 802 diamond speakers for the L and R and HTM2 for the center) and started looking into sound quality. What most people don't realize is that despite all of it's downsides, the best sound quality you can get is from an old school vinyl record. So I decided I would get started collecting vinyl. I bought a starter turntable, which is sufficient for most people. It was a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. I continued adding to my collection and now have some pretty rare records and have a collection of around 200 or so.

I just upgraded my turntable to a Mark Levinson no 5105.

In the car, I listen to XM. On the go I listen to YouTube on my phone. When I'm at home, I go to my room and listen to a vinyl record.

Reactions: aspendawg

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
If I have a choice, Spotify. By myself and happy. Most of my music consumption is forced by my 8 year old. Who has two thumbs and knows all the lyrics to the Zombies 1, 2, and 3 soundtracks?
Gawd I hate Zombies... It's worse than Descendants by about 10 miles, and Descendants makes me want to gouge my eyes and ears out.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Damn, 19 years and TIL you and 87 are related??

View attachment 622492
Shooting Star GIF

• Haha

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
Strangely enough, when I started working from home during the pandemic, I enjoyed the silence so much I stopped listening to music at my desk.

Now I mostly find new music on XM in the car (The Spectrum is the sweet spot for middle age white guys looking for new music)

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I miss the whole process of buying an LP album. You would hear music on the radio, get recs from your friends, read Rolling Stone, or (lucky me) hear about a band from your college age sibling.

Then, off to the record store to browse bands - alphabetically - and lay out some cash for an LP.

Study the cover art, peel off the cellophane, slide the record sleeve out (hopefully with lyrics)and carefully place your new vinyl on the turntable without touching the grooves. Then you would sit there and listen to the whole dang album. Both sides. The way God intended. Maybe even using giant size headphones.

I know you can still buy vinyl LPs, but it's not the same. The music industry is all about downloads and live shows now.

I've gone through every music medium imaginable, although most of my records, tapes, and CDs were lost in a tragic incident.

These days, I have XM in the car, because they keep giving me cheap deals to stay on as a customer. I also really like Spotify, which I got free for a few years.

I haven't purchased an entire album for at least 6 years.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login