OT: Howler Head Banana Bourbon

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I went to Total Wine today to grab one of the usual bourbon suspects... My usual is Woodford, or if I want to spend a little less I'll grab Bulleit. Sometimes a Four Roses... I am not a big spender when it comes to things I drink around the house.

Today, they were selling Howler Head bourbon that was infused with banana flavor. It was halfway between the price of Bulleit and Woodford. Smooth as a baby's bottom, but still makes me wonder if I've lost my man card. It's nothing I will make a habit of buying... but a nice sip, for sure. Probably a bit too smooth and could get me in to trouble. Anybody tried this one?

In my defense, the steamy Colombian goddess who was selling it was wearing yoga pants so tight, I felt like I basically rounded 3rd base. That makes me feel a little more manly.

Last edited:

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
I picked up a bottle about a year ago for the first time and loved it. It’s good on the rocks after a hot day or as a topper on a frozen drink. I felt so guilty drinking it at first.

Reactions: eckie1

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
But I drink my coffee black, my steak rare over charcoal with salt/pepper and when I drink bourbon it's neat so I'm not very adventurous but that sounds absolutely gross

Attachments

• 1685670221316.gif
    1685670221316.gif
    505 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
But I drink my coffee black, my steak rare over charcoal with salt/pepper and when I drink bourbon it's neat so I'm not very adventurous but that sounds absolutely gross
I thought it’d be gross, too. After I sampled it, I went back and checked the prices on everything and decided to give it a shot. I could have even gotten a free T-shirt, but passed on it….

I get that it’s not the neatest bourbon on the block, but it’s pretty damn good for what they were shooting for. My wife liked it immediately. 🤣

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
I went to Total Wine today to grab one of the usual bourbon suspects... My usual is Woodford, or if I want to spend a little less I'll grab Bulleit. Sometimes a Four Roses... I am not a big spender when it comes to things I drink around the house.

Today, they were selling Howler Head bourbon that was infused with banana flavor. It was halfway between the price of Bulleit and Woodford. Smooth as a baby's bottom, but still makes me wonder if I've lost my man card. It's nothing I will make a habit of buying... but a nice sip, for sure. Probably a bit too smooth and could get me in to trouble. Anybody tried this one?

In my defense, the steamy Colombian goddess who was selling it was wearing yoga pants so tight, I felt like I basically rounded 3rd base. That makes me feel a little more manly.
First drink whatever you like. A friend brought a bottle to my house and left it here. Thats s h I t s nasty but if you like Dales you do you but don’t ask me to drink it.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
If it's infused with a banana
JUST DAMN DOG, that's gay!
* It's pride month. You do you. With a banana.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.**

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
If it's infused with a banana
JUST DAMN DOG, that's gay!
* It's pride month. You do you. With a banana.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.**
“steamy Colombian goddess who was selling it was wearing yoga pants so tight, I felt like I basically rounded 3rd base. That makes me feel a little more manly.”

Gunga Gulunga, is what she told me.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Drink whatever you like and tell anyone that doesn't like it to suck your banana, but to be accurate let's not call it bourbon. That would be illegal if Howler Head did it. It's a flavored whiskey. They source a 2 year old bourbon and add banana concentrate to it. So it's actually a flavored whiskey or liqueur.

I would be more willing to try this than Fireball or Screwball. But if you want a real bourbon with banana notes, Old Forester 1910 and Jack Daniels 10 year are banana bombs.

Reactions: eckie1 and NTDawg

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Drink whatever you like and tell anyone that doesn't like it to suck your banana, but to be accurate let's not call it bourbon. That would be illegal if Howler Head did it. It's a flavored whiskey. They source a 2 year old bourbon and add banana concentrate to it. So it's actually a flavored whiskey or liqueur.

I would be more willing to try this than Fireball or Screwball. But if you want a real bourbon with banana notes, Old Forester 1910 and Jack Daniels 10 year are banana bombs.
Bought 1910 yesterday and was drinking it earlier tonight

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007

I was wondering about this, too. I know bourbon is a very specific beast, and banana flavoring doesn’t seem to be part of the deal.

You’re suggesting class action lawsuit? If so, I’ve got dibs on the Colombian goddess.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I’d try it. I love Bumbu rum and it finishes with a really strong banana flavor.
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with flavored liquor but to me banana is one of the most disgusting flavors on this planet. I know it’s just me but I can’t stand anything banana flavored. Bumbu does make a good rum that isn’t banana flavored.

BELdog

Aug 23, 2012
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with flavored liquor but to me banana is one of the most disgusting flavors on this planet. I know it’s just me but I can’t stand anything banana flavored. Bumbu does make a good rum that isn’t banana flavored.
Yeah. That black bottle Bumbu is good stuff too.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with flavored liquor
Other than that flavored whiskey is usually really young, crappy whiskey. It's like getting a steak that's so horrible it is by pre-intended design smothered in tasty ketchup. Sure, it's a nice flavor and makes an ok meal, but usually I'd just prefer a good steak that tastes good on its own. Especially at the same price point.

• Haha

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Other than that flavored whiskey is usually really young, crappy whiskey. It's like getting a steak that's so horrible it is by pre-intended design smothered in tasty ketchup. Sure, it's a nice flavor and makes an ok meal, but usually I'd just prefer a good steak that tastes good on its own. Especially at the same price point.
Just because it costs more, doesn't necessarily make it better. Beef might be the exception. I treat myself to Wagyu a couple of times per year but I'm not afraid of a cheap steak. Dinner tonight is going to be a couple of Prime Filets that were half price due to being a day past their sell by date. You can bet they'll be good. What a grocery store call out of date, I call " wet aged"!

• Haha

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
Welp, I read this and had to stop at the local supplier. The label had me thinking I just wasted $25 but I opened it, filled a rocks glass and was pleasantly surprised. It isn't going to replace Woodford Double Oaked for my sipping whiskey but it wasn't bad at all. Definitely tasted better than Screwball. Hmmm banana and peanut butter. Maybe if I mix Howler with a splash of Screwball?

• Love

Moondawgg

Sep 30, 2022
Maybe if I mix Howler with a splash of Screwball?
Robot Wtf GIF

So just an Elvis then? Lame

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
My liver is hurting I've drank so much on the beach this week. Wild Turkey, Larceny, Angels Envy, Makers, & even some Tito's. Tried to give away this wheated crap. No takers.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Just because it costs more, doesn't necessarily make it better. Beef might be the exception. I treat myself to Wagyu a couple of times per year but I'm not afraid of a cheap steak. Dinner tonight is going to be a couple of Prime Filets that were half price due to being a day past their sell by date. You can bet they'll be good. What a grocery store call out of date, I call " wet aged"!
Agreed, on whiskey at least, I haven't tried much higher priced beef to know, a decent steak is good in my book, don't know why I'd need to pay more. For whiskey, there's plenty of high priced crap and lower priced gold, though the latter keeps getting harder to find, and it seems to be getting worse as the distilleries get smarter about co-opting the better barrels. But there's really no such thing as a good 2 year aged bourbon. Its just too young. And that's almost always what's going into flavored stuff.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login