OT: HULU plus Live TV

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I am thinking of switching from FUBOTV to Hulu + Live TV. The original reason I went FUBO was they had the History Channel and my wife and I watch the Oak Island show. They lost the History channel last year and I had to add Philo for the run of the show. So I see that History is a channel on Hulu. Seem that SEC and ESPN+ is part of it also.

So any experience with it? How is the Cloud DVR on Hulu?

Jun 9, 2015
I swapped from YouTube TV to Hulu live about 6-8 months ago. I can’t complain too much. I wish there were a few more sports channels (i.e. MLB Network, NHL Network) but I do like it better than YouTube. My biggest issue with the DVR is that if you are watching a show live and have to pause it, you can’t fast forward through the commercials until that show goes off in real time. So basically, I’m watching a show as I type this that goes off at 9. I had to pause it to take a phone call and fell 10-15 minutes behind, so I’ll have to watch all the commercials until 9, and then I will be able to fast forward through them.

SkidKid

May 20, 2014
I hated Hulu. Hulu DVR IS COMPLETE trash. I switched to YouTube TV and much prefer YouTube.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
I like it. Just wish it had fox sports channels. Miss watching the Cardinals.

80 Dawg

Jan 30, 2020
What is fast forward and rewind like on Youtube TV for sports? Is there a way to fast forward only like 15 secs or so? I have a roku tv...do I just use that remote?

dahmer17

Aug 25, 2012
FF on YoutubeTv is good. It will go 15 sec at a time. If you hold it down, ff will pick up speed.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I used both and preferred youtube tv. More sports content, easier recording, and the interface was less "glitchy" than with hulu live. I haven't used either for over a year, so Hulu may have ironed out some wrinkles by now.

jkpz28

Mar 13, 2014
I got rid of Hulu live about a year ago, the cost for what they were providing wasn't worth it.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I have the regular Hulu streaming service as part of the Disney bundle and it’s never impressed me enough to want to upgrade to their live TV model.

I’ve had YouTube TV for a little over two years and I love it. Their standoff with ESPN during bowl season was weird but it only lasted a day or two. In terms of overall quality and ease of use I think they are the best thing going right now.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I’ve had it for nearly 3 years now. Still glitchy as ever - no improvements at all. We just learn to live with it.

I tried it probably a year ago and had to drop it because of how glitchy it was. They only let you change IP addresses a certain number of times each year, I guess to prevent sharing, but it couldn't remember my IP address, so I kept having to authorize them to change it, and dropped it when it locked me out for good, which happened before I even got through the free trial.

Another ****** thing about HULU is that if your internet service is out, it makes it hard to cast to a tv from an IPAD or to even use the IPAD as a hotspot. Don't think I've ever seen a company so concerned with keeping customers from using their product the way they want.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Is anything EVER going to be found on Oak Island or is it just another Geraldo Rivera's Al Capone Safe drama?

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Switched from YouTubeTV to HuluTV during the whole ESPN bowl fiasco. I'm not missing the New Mexico or New Orleans bowls (yes, I have a problem). YouTube TV is far superior as far as user experience. We've just learned to accept any downfalls that Hulu has since nothing really bothers us that much. I don't mind a commercial here or there. Now if you hate commercials, you'll hate Hulu. HuluTV works perfectly for my family as I have a 6 year old and we do the ESPN+ and Disney bundle. You get 50 hours of DVR which I've never had an issue with storage wise but I don't save much. It gets watched and deleted.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
It sure has built a success out of 2 coins and some flashes on an underwater camera. My wife follows it online and informed this weekend that Rick has been on the island since May or something like that.

They have found some structures that make no sense on that island to have totally gone away and have no historical records on them.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
The channel lineup for the $65-$75 was costing me $200 before I switched. When I had xfinity internet and cable I was at $300 a month for internet and TV. Cspire Fiber came to my neighbor hood and I pay $99 for 1 gig then the $65 to $75 a month for the same channel lineup.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
We can’t get cable at our home but have gigabit fiber (go figure). We were paying $180 for directv with no online/app option. With YTTV we take it anywhere.

I routinely watch games on the iPad wherever I am.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I have xfinity internet/TV and pay around $138/month. I add redzone in the fall.

Last edited by a moderator:

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Does Youtube get you access to ESPN+?

Nothing gets you access to ESPN+ unless you pay for it individually or do the Hulu/Dinsney/Espn+ bundle.

ESPN tv channels are available on the ESPN app if you subscribe to those channels with a cable/sat or streaming service but ESPN+ is not available unless you pay for a subscription.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
The channel lineup for the $65-$75 was costing me $200 before I switched. When I had xfinity internet and cable I was at $300 a month for internet and TV. Cspire Fiber came to my neighbor hood and I pay $99 for 1 gig then the $65 to $75 a month for the same channel lineup.

That is what I am looking at myself. Our cable service is pitiful out here isn Leander but the Internet is rock solid. I am trying to figure out whether to go to Hulu or YouTube and go back to streaming for a while. I can get 500 gigs for about 40 bucks a month without any problems in the time it takes to switch from channel to channel is actually quicker than it is on my cable box I appreciate you guys bringing this yearly conversation back up to the front

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
I prefer youtubetv. It’s probably just because I am used to it but it seemed more user friendly.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I have xfinity internet/TV and pay around $138/month. I add redzone in the fall.

I had the same package until they went up to $180/mo. Now I only have internet with Xfinity and subscribed to Youtube TV. Pay $115 total for the two and much prefer YT tv to cable.

FISHDAWG

Dec 27, 2009
I hated Hulu. Hulu DVR IS COMPLETE trash. I switched to YouTube TV and much prefer YouTube.

same opinion here ... also We have two residences and when I leave one the coverage wants to follow my phone. My secondary residence in Tennessee is where I wanted the HULU coverage to remain but when I left there it would follow me back to Georgia when I wanted it to stay in Tennessee (I have Direct TV in Georgia and didn't need HULU there) ... so my son who lives in our Tennessee place couldn't watch it. I called them three different times asking for coverage to remain in Tennessee and not to follow my phone - they agreed but it never happened .... finally just canceled them

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Damn. I don't think I've ever topped $150 for internet and cable/streaming/satellite. Always had all ESPN channels and SECN since it came out. Never had the top of the line internet but haven't ever had a problem with speed (back when I had satellite or cable, I might would have had trouble streaming more than one show; wasn't an issue then as streaming wasn't as big of a deal). I was one that always stayed on an "introductory" rate and either switched services or negoitated back down when it was up.

notoriousD_O_G

Apr 1, 2013
Help me understand the value in these options. They both cost $65-75/month. Assuming you are paying for interwebs too, why not just get regular cable?

https://www.cabletv.com/youtube-tv

Not speaking for everyone but the streaming services have better guides and are more convenient to use. No cable boxes just download the app on your TV. Also no contracts. I cancel mine after football is over and can restart whenever.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login