OT: I’ll probably get admonished for this…

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
… but this topic and my opinion on it are too important to just let it die away in locked or outdated threads.

I’ll put this bluntly: The Muppet Christmas Carol is hands down the best theatrical version of the famous Charles Dickens novel and I’m not sure there’s a close second. Sure, there’s some woke casting (Emily Cratchit is played by a man and engaged in an inter-species relationship), but Michael Caine deserved an Oscar for Best Actor for his portrayal of Ebeneezer Scrooge. With all due respect to Patrick Stewart, George C. Scott, and Scrooge McDuck, the way Michael Caine owned that role is a masterclass in dramatic acting and all other Scrooges come second (yes, even Bill Murray).

It’s a relevant thread because Jim Henson was born in Mississippi. In before the lock.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
It's like he brought Dr, Bryant, Bromhead, Pennyworth, and Alfie all to the role of Ebenezer.
Masterclass for sure.
Showtime Recording GIF by CBS

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I can’t find it with google but somewhere there is a video of Kermit walking in in his roommates watching a Christmas csrol that’s not the muppet version so he berates them and beats one of them up. One of him Henson’s classic skits.

SanfordRJones

Nov 17, 2006
… but this topic and my opinion on it are too important to just let it die away in locked or outdated threads.

I’ll put this bluntly: The Muppet Christmas Carol is hands down the best theatrical version of the famous Charles Dickens novel and I’m not sure there’s a close second. Sure, there’s some woke casting (Emily Cratchit is played by a man and engaged in an inter-species relationship), but Michael Caine deserved an Oscar for Best Actor for his portrayal of Ebeneezer Scrooge. With all due respect to Patrick Stewart, George C. Scott, and Scrooge McDuck, the way Michael Caine owned that role is a masterclass in dramatic acting and all other Scrooges come second (yes, even Bill Murray).

It’s a relevant thread because Jim Henson was born in Mississippi. In before the lock.
I'm so 17ing tired of The liberal media, conservative talk radio, and sheep like you completely overlooking the greatest Christmas special of all time: Emmett Otter's Jug-band Christmas.

This reply is also relevant because Jim Henson is still from Mississippi.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I'm so 17ing tired of The liberal media, conservative talk radio, and sheep like you completely overlooking the greatest Christmas special of all time: Emmett Otter's Jug-band Christmas.

This reply is also relevant because Jim Henson is still from Mississippi.
Mother 17er, my love for The Muppet Christmas Carol doesn’t mean I 17ing hate Emmett Otter’s Jug-band Christmas. That’s a good Christmas special.

It’s just not the greatest Christmas special of all time. That’s The He-Man and She-Ra Christmas Special. The Skeletor redemption arc in that special is 17ing cinema.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Mother 17er, my love for The Muppet Christmas Carol doesn’t mean I 17ing hate Emmett Otter’s Jug-band Christmas. That’s a good Christmas special.

It’s just not the greatest Christmas special of all time. That’s The He-Man and She-Ra Christmas Special. The Skeletor redemption arc in that special is 17ing cinema.
This may be the greatest post in the history of the board.

1702776557273.gif

Reactions: Dawgg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I'm in a very small minority I know but I could count on 2 hands (maybe one) the total minutes in my 62 years of living that I've watched of Miracle on 34th Street, It's a Wonderful Life, and whatever muppet thing you're referencing. I've never even heard of the Emmit otter thing. I told my wife a couple weeks ago maybe I'd try Miracle on 34th or Wonderful Life this year. I just find it almost impossible to sit in front of a TV to watch a full movie though

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I'm in a very small minority I know but I could count on 2 hands (maybe one) the total minutes in my 62 years of living that I've watched of Miracle on 34th Street, It's a Wonderful Life, and whatever muppet thing you're referencing. I've never even heard of the Emmit otter thing. I told my wife a couple weeks ago maybe I'd try Miracle on 34th or Wonderful Life this year. I just find it almost impossible to sit in front of a TV to watch a full movie though
The He-Man and She-Ra Christmas Special is only 45 minutes long. That’s right, you only need 45 minutes to change your life forever:

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
They actually told Michael Caine that the Muppets were just there for rehearsal and the actual other actors would come in for the real takes. Joke was on him.

• Haha

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012

Didn't know this was even a thing. Got the 90 minute version on now for the grandkids. They stopped paying attention 5 minutes in, but I'm 17ing invested.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
The old Star Wars Holiday Special is a classic. It’s also weird as hell.

The little animated short is the first time we see Boba Fett on screen.
They have the little animated short “The Faithful Wookiee” on Disney+. They’re still trying to act like the rest of it never happened.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
They have the little animated short “The Faithful Wookiee” on Disney+. They’re still trying to act like the rest of it never happened.
Believe it or not they sell life day merch at Disney

• Haha

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
It’s not Christmas without the Saturday Night Live Christmas Special and the skit on Shweaty Balls and my favorite Christmas song and video by Robert Earl Keens “Merry Christmas From the Family.” Also movies Home Alone one and Christmas Vacation. After that we just brace ourselves for the crazy *** relatives to show up and create significant destruction. About 20 years ago they set our house on fire. We make the Grizwalds look boring.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

"Six Pack Remembers" Nominee

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login