OT: I’ll probably get admonished for this…

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
We had our very own Uncle Eddie but he passed away a number of years ago.
If your family doesn’t have an “ Uncle Eddie” , it’s a good possibility that you are him!
Raise Hand GIF by Nick Jonas

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Ok, the other 45 minutes is some lame dude replaying it with exposition comments. I do not recommend
I looked it up after you said hour and a half because I thought I had been missing out and discovered the same thing.

They call it the He-Man and She-Ra Christmas Special, but it’s really Skeletor’s movie.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
It’s a Christmas Eve tradition for us. I’ve even got the moose mugs sitting on the bar as I type this.
Did you get the Cane’s dogs last year?
They had a Clark with squirrel, Eddie with mug, and Aunt Bethany.

We have them up on our mantle.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
The Muppets Laughing GIF

THESE are the best muppets here, which represent the SPS demographic.

@Maroon Eagle

one of my favorites

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
We had the grandkids this weekend & it was miserably rainy, so after He-Man & the Muppets Christmas Carol I put on Mickey's Christmas Carol.

I asked the wife, Why is Scrooge Scottish? That's when I realized Scrooge McDuck has always been a Scot...the things you learn about your childhood after 40.

Reactions: Dawgg and HailStout

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
We had the grandkids this weekend & it was miserably rainy, so after He-Man & the Muppets Christmas Carol I put on Mickey's Christmas Carol.

I asked the wife, Why is Scrooge Scottish? That's when I realized Scrooge McDuck has always been a Scot...the things you learn about your childhood after 40.

still makes me tear up. Made me ugly cry as a little kid.

Reactions: Dawgg

vandaldawg

Feb 23, 2008
… but this topic and my opinion on it are too important to just let it die away in locked or outdated threads.

I’ll put this bluntly: The Muppet Christmas Carol is hands down the best theatrical version of the famous Charles Dickens novel and I’m not sure there’s a close second. Sure, there’s some woke casting (Emily Cratchit is played by a man and engaged in an inter-species relationship), but Michael Caine deserved an Oscar for Best Actor for his portrayal of Ebeneezer Scrooge. With all due respect to Patrick Stewart, George C. Scott, and Scrooge McDuck, the way Michael Caine owned that role is a masterclass in dramatic acting and all other Scrooges come second (yes, even Bill Murray).

It’s a relevant thread because Jim Henson was born in Mississippi. In before the lock.
100%.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

Yep, a lot of people’s first exposure to Scrooge McDuck was either Mickey’s Christmas Carol or Ducktales, but he was Donald’s Scottish uncle in the Disney comic books going back to the 1940’s.

Also, I was Tiny Tim in my local community theater when I was 6 years old. I based my performance largely on the Morti/Ferdi Fieldmouse portrayal of Tiny Tim from that movie.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I'm in a very small minority I know but I could count on 2 hands (maybe one) the total minutes in my 62 years of living that I've watched of Miracle on 34th Street, It's a Wonderful Life, and whatever muppet thing you're referencing. I've never even heard of the Emmit otter thing. I told my wife a couple weeks ago maybe I'd try Miracle on 34th or Wonderful Life this year. I just find it almost impossible to sit in front of a TV to watch a full movie though
It's time to sit down and watch It's a Wonderful Life my man. Watch it with the kids. Two of my daughters sat there and watched the whole thing with me last weekend. They fought it before it started because it's in black and white, but they were hooked on the story from the beginning.

Oh and keep a tissue handy.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Yep, a lot of people’s first exposure to Scrooge McDuck was either Mickey’s Christmas Carol or Ducktales, but he was Donald’s Scottish uncle in the Disney comic books going back to the 1940’s.

Also, I was Tiny Tim in my local community theater when I was 6 years old. I based my performance largely on the Morti/Ferdi Fieldmouse portrayal of Tiny Tim from that movie.
I would have thought everyone knew he was Scottish by the accent and he plays the bagpipes in several DuckTales episodes.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
It's time to sit down and watch It's a Wonderful Life my man. Watch it with the kids. Two of my daughters sat there and watched the whole thing with me last weekend. They fought it before it started because it's in black and white, but they were hooked on the story from the beginning.

Oh and keep a tissue handy.
I watched it from start to finish last night. It was a good movie, but started a new question for me. Like "Die Hard", is it really a Christmas movie? Only like the last 20 minutes had anything to do with Christmas. I guess on to "Miracle on 34th Street" since that's another one I haven't watched in my 60+ years.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I watched it from start to finish last night. It was a good movie, but started a new question for me. Like "Die Hard", is it really a Christmas movie? Only like the last 20 minutes had anything to do with Christmas. I guess on to "Miracle on 34th Street" since that's another one I haven't watched in my 60+ years.
Die hard is absolutely a Christmas movie. Come at me

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
My daughter asked that too, but I said it's about George's whole life so it can't all take place around Christmas. The climax occurring on Christmas Eve is enough for me to say absolutely - both are Christmas movies.

Reactions: Fritz! and Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
My daughter asked that too, but I said it's about George's whole life so it can't all take place around Christmas. The climax occurring on Christmas Eve is enough for me to say absolutely - both are Christmas movies.
This brings up a good question as to what the threshold is for being a “Christmas movie”. Does Christmas or some aspect of Christmas have to be the central focus or just the backdrop? Can any part of the movie occur at Christmas or just the climax?

I see “Batman Returns” and “Gremlins” mentioned as Christmas movie candidates and I feel like if Die Hard is, those movies could be too.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
This brings up a good question as to what the threshold is for being a “Christmas movie”. Does Christmas or some aspect of Christmas have to be the central focus or just the backdrop? Can any part of the movie occur at Christmas or just the climax?

I see “Batman Returns” and “Gremlins” mentioned as Christmas movie candidates and I feel like if Die Hard is, those movies could be too.
Gremlins, yes. Batman returns feels like it is in a different universe so it doesn’t even really feel like Christmas

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Gremlins, yes. Batman returns feels like it is in a different universe so it doesn’t even really feel like Christmas
Fair point about Batman Returns, but counterpoint (spoilers for 30 year old movie ahead):

1. The first scene after the Penguin birth is a Christmas tree lighting ceremony.

2. Christmas is very prevalent in the background (trees, carolers, lights, etc.)

3. Batman and Catwoman discover each other’s secret identities with the mistletoe quote.

4. When Max Shreck runs out of bullets, Selina says she’s going to save her last 2 lives for next Christmas.

5. When Selina kills Max Schreck, she calls him “Anti-claus”.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I stand c
Fair point about Batman Returns, but counterpoint (spoilers for 30 year old movie ahead):

1. The first scene after the Penguin birth is a Christmas tree lighting ceremony.

2. Christmas is very prevalent in the background (trees, carolers, lights, etc.)

3. Batman and Catwoman discover each other’s secret identities with the mistletoe quote.

4. When Max Shreck runs out of bullets, Selina says she’s going to save her last 2 lives for next Christmas.

5. When Selina kills Max Schreck, she calls him “Anti-claus”.
I stand corrected

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
… but this topic and my opinion on it are too important to just let it die away in locked or outdated threads.

I’ll put this bluntly: The Muppet Christmas Carol is hands down the best theatrical version of the famous Charles Dickens novel and I’m not sure there’s a close second. Sure, there’s some woke casting (Emily Cratchit is played by a man and engaged in an inter-species relationship), but Michael Caine deserved an Oscar for Best Actor for his portrayal of Ebeneezer Scrooge. With all due respect to Patrick Stewart, George C. Scott, and Scrooge McDuck, the way Michael Caine owned that role is a masterclass in dramatic acting and all other Scrooges come second (yes, even Bill Murray).

It’s a relevant thread because Jim Henson was born in Mississippi. In before the lock.
Thank you for the opportunity to respond to that post in the other thread from dawgstudent.

I did not consider or suggest that my opinion was important for the board, rather that the topic was important and I'd really wanted to participate in it after having read everyone else's opinion. Finding the thread closed, I apologized in advance and started the new thread because it is a very important topic and very much a sports-related in-the-news topic.

Suggesting that my ego was so inflated was unfair and inaccurate.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Thank you for the opportunity to respond to that post in the other thread from dawgstudent.

I did not consider or suggest that my opinion was important for the board, rather that the topic was important and I'd really wanted to participate in it after having read everyone else's opinion. Finding the thread closed, I apologized in advance and started the new thread because it is a very important topic and very much a sports-related in-the-news topic.

1702954535421.gif

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

So what are your feelings on the Muppet Christmas Carol?

Also, have you seen Fat Man starring Mel Gibson?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login