OT: I’m trying to get an idea of how stupid Florida people are, or are we all?

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Well, we used to fly into SW Florida Regional Airport (Ft. Myers/Cape Coral) every summer for our vacation. They had signs warning about panthers on the roads around the airport. Panthers are native to that
area.
Okay, I’ll give you a second chance. This was taken in the panhandle.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
This entire thread reads like a group text I have. Occasionally, when everyone else has gone to sleep, 2 guys are still up drinking and having a one on one conversation about nonsense... and I love it.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
It's not isolated to FL. Every 6-8 months a pic like that will show up in my facebook feed. "Check out this trail cam picture of a panther crossing an oak flat in Eupora. Less than a mile from the elementary school playground. Hide your kids."

If it's bigger than Garfield, 99% of the public will call it a mountain lion/panther/cougar/siberian tiger.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
What's wrong with that, so she has a thing for Big Bob Cats... I get the same type of deal on my phone as I am a fan of Big Buffalo Wings.

With all the witty comments you make, I would think you were pretty smart except for the whole fleeing a place with terrible weather to voluntarily live in a place that has snow in May. If we could get you access to like, a farmer's almanac or something so you could figure out the weather somewhere before you moved there, there's not telling how far you could go.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It's not isolated to FL. Every 6-8 months a pic like that will show up in my facebook feed. "Check out this trail cam picture of a panther crossing an oak flat in Eupora. Less than a mile from the elementary school playground. Hide your kids."

If it's bigger than Garfield, 99% of the public will call it a mountain lion/panther/cougar/siberian tiger.

In Florida man's defense, that does look to be a big *** bobcat to me, to the extent there is enough in the picture to give a sense of scale. And there is at least something called the Florida Panther, even if it's not in the panhandle. Other than just looking like a bobcat, the tail is too short and it looks like the snout is too stubby to be a cougar.

Last edited:

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
With all the witty comments you make, I would think you were pretty smart except for the whole fleeing a place with terrible weather to voluntarily live in a place that has snow in May. If we could get you access to like, a farmer's almanac or something so you could figure out the weather somewhere before you moved there, there's not telling how far you could go.

In my defense, before moving here from Texas, I watched the weather (Spanish speaking weather for obvious reasons) incessantly. And based on what I saw on the maps, I convinced myself this part of the country was just going to rain beautiful, thin, large breasted women. Figured it was worth the risk.

View attachment 24885

View attachment 24886

View attachment 24887

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
It's 100000% a bobcat. Cougars are built different. Friend of mine at Mossy Oak videoed this one while on a turkey hunt in FL. They legit in the South but are rare as hen's teeth.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It's 100000% a bobcat. Cougars are built different. Friend of mine at Mossy Oak videoed this one while on a turkey hunt in FL. They legit in the South but are rare as hen's teeth.

I would assume if/when a cougar makes it into the panhandle it will be more likely to be a mountain lion that roamed from Louisiana across Mississippi and Bama into the panhandle than a Florida Panther. No real reason for that guess except I would assume it would be easier for a cougar to make it's way through Mississippi and Alabama while staying in relatively undeveloped areas than to make its way up Florida.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
My understanding is that a cougar/puma are the virtually same thing as a mountain lion. Name just changes based on where it's located.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
A bobcat is a subspecies of a lynx. So any lynx found in the the southern US is technically a bobcat.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
My understanding is that a cougar/puma are the virtually same thing as a mountain lion. Name just changes based on where it's located.

They are virtually the same but florida panthers have I guess been isolated enough to be their own species (or maybe just subspecies). I don't think a normal person could tell them apart just by looking at them side by side.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
This entire thread reads like a group text I have. Occasionally, when everyone else has gone to sleep, 2 guys are still up drinking and having a one on one conversation about nonsense... and I love it.
BTW Cochise. It’s a shame your comment in the OOB thread was not seen by anyone because it was in an OOB thread. I busted out laughing. It did not get the love it deserved.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

I went down a cougar rabbit hole a while back (bet cougars do that too).

Cougar is the most common and proper name, but the animal has I think more names than any other animal in the world. Mainly as a result of it's incredible range from Canada all the way to the deep south of South America.

The Florida panther is an isolated population of North American Cougars that was once considered a subspecies, but I think genetic testing has dispelled the notion of any unique traits. They haven't been isolated long enough.

Common names in North America are Cougar, Panther (a complete misnomer, different family of felines altogether), Mountain Lion, Puma, and Catamount (Cat of the Mountains). All the same animal.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login