OT- I just left a meeting hosted by 5 Microsoft employees that discussed AI in the classroom(k12)

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
tldr- I am scared and we are 17ed. Maybe not, but probably so.

- Concerned for job security even though I cant imagine it being automated as it is heavily personal. But when the answer to every concern and question is 'we cant even imagine what this will be in 5 years, much less 10', well hell- I cant imagine being made redundant but who knows?!

- Scared for my kids from an employment perspective because what career paths will be safe 5, 10, and 30 years from now? Yeah, job retraining exists and whatnot, but still- it should be a concern to anyone that is a parent.

- Super excited for how it will impact students from an educational perspective. I dont mean papers being written, but the actual legitimate opportunities that AI gives schools right now and in the future to close educational gaps in an inexpensive and hopefully effective manner is really neat to think about.

- It is difficult to get on board with something that even experts are like 'who knows!' when discussing what is coming up. The swift transition from Machine Learning to Deep Learning to Generative AI is crazy to see on a timeline. Fascinating and scary all at once.

The meeting was to help the school district establish AI policies that are realistic, protective, and beneficial to staff and students.

Reactions: patdog and HRMSU

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Probably break even. You will need people to program the AI. You will need people to interpret and fix whatever garbage the AI produces.

Reactions: cytubb

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

- Concerned for job security even though I cant imagine it being automated as it is heavily personal. But when the answer to every concern and question is 'we cant even imagine what this will be in 5 years, much less 10', well hell- I cant imagine being made redundant but who knows?!

- Scared for my kids from an employment perspective because what career paths will be safe 5, 10, and 30 years from now? Yeah, job retraining exists and whatnot, but still- it should be a concern to anyone that is a parent.

- Super excited for how it will impact students from an educational perspective. I dont mean papers being written, but the actual legitimate opportunities that AI gives schools right now and in the future to close educational gaps in an inexpensive and hopefully effective manner is really neat to think about.

- It is difficult to get on board with something that even experts are like 'who knows!' when discussing what is coming up. The swift transition from Machine Learning to Deep Learning to Generative AI is crazy to see on a timeline. Fascinating and scary all at once.

The meeting was to help the school district establish AI policies that are realistic, protective, and beneficial to staff and students.
1) encourage your kids to be lifetime learners. The idea of learning a thing and that carrying your throughout your career is dead. Whatever they choose, continuing ed, even if self-started will serve them well.

2) AI is just another tool that will require guardrails to keep in check and people to make it effective, so tech is a good area consider. Understanding more that just how to poke around on pre-built apps might be the biggest lever they can put in their toolbox.

3) You've been using AI for a long time without having to login to an AI site. Predictive text, Map programs, suggested ads, etc. all algorithmic with data corpuses that range from very personalized to huge/worldwide.

4) Healthy fear is good. If one thing is certain humanity learns through experience and not education so I expect some scars. How wide and how deep are the only things in question.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016

Breathe in, Breathe out, move on.

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
Nothing to see here AI will help us all!
Arnold Schwarzenegger Terminator GIF by Filmin

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Well, let's look at the last hundred years of progress in automation, microprocessors and machine learning. I think my biggest concern is not the jobs that will be taken by AI, but will humans become complacent in terms of critical thinking skills, comparing probabilities, making inferences in a given environment, and other situations where mental dexterity might have been dulled by the fact that computers are doing these things for us? We're still a ways off from that but I think when you look at the excess number of jobs that are in the economy right now that will likely never be filled, the emoloyment aspect is the least of our worries. What we should be worried about is whether or not our mental dexterity is going to start to decline because it's no longer needed. Will it become a vestigial function of the brain?

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Hey remember when people thought 3D printing was going to change the world by allowing us to make anything we wanted to at home and from thin air?

I suspect a lot of the AI reaction is similar to that. Knee jerk reactions to the capabilities and scope that aren't ever likely to pan out. Great tech in the right scenario but hardly a replacement to humanity's manual efforts.

And to ease your worries - if AI ever did replace all of our jobs and make our survival completely dependent on robots, tech, and the oligarchs/governments that controlled them, I suspect society would just reverse course, disconnect, and revert back to localized agrarian / trade / art based small economies and cities (slowly, of course). Revolution, cycles, and whatnot.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
One phrase I've read that has held true thus far:
"It won't be AI that takes your job. It will be a person that effectively uses AI that takes your job."

AI is a technology tool just like anything else that has come along in the last 1000 years. You can either figure out how to learn it and use it to your advantage or you risk being left behind. The people who learn and understand AI are just like the first people that embraced computers or the internet or snake drain cameras or digital timing lights or any software or other piece of equipment that makes what you're doing more efficient and productive.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
Will AI be useful in keeping the dang kids off my lawn?

But really, my kids are not tech inclined and I do worry about them. I mean, they like to use tech but no interest in coding or engineering at all. They may be just fine, but I'm just a concerned parent.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

If the current tech hadn't been successfully and deceptively branded as "AI", nobody would care. It's just an algorithm that parses language to swap out clauses and rearrange sentences etc. It doesn't understand a dang thing, and thus won't displace much of anything. It will work less than self-driving does. The tech is neato, but the last mile problem is real and not surmountable anytime soon.

Reactions: HRMSU

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Modernization, mechanization, and leaps in technology happen. People will adjust and change their jobs and ways of life. It’s happened many many times throughout history.

IMG_1691.jpeg
IMG_1692.jpeg

Reactions: Dawgg

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
Well, let's look at the last hundred years of progress in automation, microprocessors and machine learning. I think my biggest concern is not the jobs that will be taken by AI, but will humans become complacent in terms of critical thinking skills, comparing probabilities, making inferences in a given environment, and other situations where mental dexterity might have been dulled by the fact that computers are doing these things for us? We're still a ways off from that but I think when you look at the excess number of jobs that are in the economy right now that will likely never be filled, the emoloyment aspect is the least of our worries. What we should be worried about is whether or not our mental dexterity is going to start to decline because it's no longer needed. Will it become a vestigial function of the brain?
Beginnings of this (my personal opinion) is being seen in the aviation community. People are no longer taught to be pilots but “managers.” Whereas something goes wrong for me, I remove all automation and fly. Generations after me are more apt to find where their management went wrong and reprogram accordingly

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Didn't Mike Judge make a movie like that***

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
Robots and AI in some cases will likely be taxed by the government in an amount that roughly equals what they pay their employees now. That money should be used to provide training for people who do lose their jobs sobthey can learn whatever new jobs are created by the new technology.

New technology has always created new jobs that had not been previously existed before. The internet didn't take people's jobs it created new ones. AI will be much the same. Some jobs will likely be lost but jobs we cannot fathom right now will come after.

Long term it will be or great grandkids using the new tech to directly interface with these tech in their brains. It will be like learning a new skill in the matrix. Someone mentioned losing mental dexterity, I don't think that will happen at all. You'll only be limited by your own imagination. Need the answer to an engineering question? Boom answered if the time it takes you to think of the question.

I could picture a time though that large numbers of people might spend the majority of their time in the metaverse and we'll I guess if all the jobs are gone then it might be good if they existed to give them something to do.

Reactions: HRMSU

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
If the current tech hadn't been successfully and deceptively branded as "AI", nobody would care. It's just an algorithm that parses language to swap out clauses and rearrange sentences etc. It doesn't understand a dang thing, and thus won't displace much of anything. It will work less than self-driving does. The tech is neato, but the last mile problem is real and not surmountable anytime soon.
Decade but technological progress is never linear.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Will AI be useful in keeping the dang kids off my lawn?

But really, my kids are not tech inclined and I do worry about them. I mean, they like to use tech but no interest in coding or engineering at all. They may be just fine, but I'm just a concerned parent.
In all honesty, they’re probably fine. For the past 30-40 years, educational institutions from elementary schools to universities to technical schools have attempted to convince all of us that to be successful in this world, you need to know how to code an application and/or disassemble and rebuild electronic devices and that world has never really materialized. New opportunities have risen, sure, but the truth is that as long as your kids can use technology (without even having to completely understand how it works), they’ll be fine. The best thing about AI as it is today is that it makes technology more accessible by making the interface more human friendly.

Reactions: hdogg

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Learning about AI is never boring somewhat scary but never boring.

Maybe some tech guys can weigh in with more context but it seems it starts with meta-learning and then can employ algorithmic self improvement based on algorithmic governance. That is the "programming" part but once turned lose it efficiently goes about getting to a solution based on those parameters. What seems scary to me is that a few articles I've read state that it can override it's governance if it "determines" the governance is in the way of it's self improvement or finding the "optimal solution."

Of course it's not thinking but it is learning basically through math. Anybody that has read Freakonomics knows it's based on Economics which is based on math.

Let's say a high level AI was assigned a task to get a certain Senator to vote a certain way. It's not going to think but it's going to access everything about the task and target and do it quickly and efficiently. Let's say it's "learned" that most humans are motivated by money. Now the task is how to contact the target to test the algorithm. It has access to the web and scrapes all data related to contacting a senator publicly and privately. It may even contact a target that is known to be associated with the target (Facebook posts, instagram, etc.). Next, it accesses the banking system through a hack and skims money out of accounts that it has recognized that there has been no activity for a long time. Money secured, contact secured, money is sent electronically or in crypto and vote better happen or everything is exposed or accounts are drained.

Now, let's assume money doesn't work then it moves to the next most probable motivator....family, business transactions, etc. Anything that exists in the digital world is vulnerable.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
That is fake and dumb. If you actually use Google AI correctly, it doesn’t give you this result.
It actually happened and there are a lot of examples online. Even Google admitted it and apologized. It was designed to favor images of non-whites, to dishonestly and inaccurately depict the past to be more inclusive which led to some idiotic images such as black Waffen SS soldiers.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Didn't Mike Judge make a movie like that***
My personal image of the dystopian future is actually a mix between Idiocracy and Terminator. A company like Cyberdine will emerge, and then their best engineers will create the most sophisticated AI robots ever created….so sophisticated that they can possess emotions and become self-aware. The T1000 prototype will be developed and be near the final stages of its learning upload and testing before official release.

But then, someone will spot the CEO of Cyberdine just 2 cars ahead of a 95 year old George Soros in the same Starbucks drive thru line. Fox News will broadcast endlessly of the Democrats latest plot to harvest votes in the form of these new humanoid beings who can’t be distinguished from actual people. CNN will then endlessly broadcast counter-propoganda that Republicans are anti-innovation and are trying to prevent a future robot Supreme Court justice from supporting immigration reform. A divided Congress will fail to pass legislation allowing the prototype to reach the “market”, with both sides simply pandering for re-election votes.

Long story short, the best and brightest of humanity will be smart and innovative enough to advance us to the precipice of orchestrating our own self-destruction. But at the same time, humanity on the whole will be far too stupid to allow said self-destruction to commence.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: J-Dawg and HRMSU

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
My personal image of the dystopian future is actually a mix between Idiocracy and Terminator. A company like Cyberdine will emerge, and then their best engineers will create the most sophisticated AI robots ever created….so sophisticated that they can possess emotions and become self-aware. The T1000 prototype will be developed and be near the final stages of its learning upload and testing before official release.

But then, someone will spot the CEO of Cyberdine just 2 cars ahead of a 95 year old George Soros in the same Starbucks drive thru line. Fox News will broadcast endlessly of the Democrats latest plot to harvest votes in the form of these new humanoid beings who can’t be distinguished from actual people. CNN will then endlessly broadcast counter-propoganda that Republicans are anti-innovation and are trying to prevent a future robot Supreme Court justice from supporting immigration reform. A divided Congress will fail to pass legislation allowing the prototype to reach the “market”, with both sides simply pandering for re-election votes.

Long story short, humanity will be smart and innovative enough to advance to the precipice of orchestrating its own self-destruction…..but at the same time on the whole will be far too stupid to allow said self-destruction to commence.
Love it!!!

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022

AI has the potential to be incredibly disruptive. So what sort of policies are going to be adopted? It's not like students enjoy learning or reading now.

Anyway, there really have been disruptive technological changes but they've also resulted in new middle class professions. The Luddites were wrong and misguided. But, de-industrialization has already laid waste to and hollowed out some parts of rural America which has led to increased meth and opioid addiction and deaths of despair. A number of smart, non-emotional, non-pessimistic people have expressed concerns about AI's potential to dramatically change our lives. We might have some interesting times ahead.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
That is fake and dumb. If you actually use Google AI correctly, it doesn’t give you this result.
Not true. do you homework. this did happen. they apologized and said it would be corrected. trust lost on day one. there was another instance where Google AI described a WW2 Nazi solider and it produced a black SS solider.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
similar to how the crackpots destroyed the internet they will do the same with AI.....see google. The more technology advances the more humans are needed.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Get into computer science or engineering, tech, etc. many jobs will be created by AI. This is not something I am concerned about.

Reactions: Dawgg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
similar to how the crackpots destroyed the internet they will do the same with AI.....see google. The more technology advances the more humans are needed.
It would be nice if they used AI to create some things to make humanity better, and not pictures of our historical figures. Unfortunately people do not think that way. They would rather start something than build something.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
It would be nice if they used AI to create some things to make humanity better, and not pictures of our historical figures. Unfortunately people do not think that way. They would rather start something than build something.
elon is the worlds only hope. as an added benefit elon shined the light bright on the libs and their lack of any foundation for any of their crackpot ideas. he was a god to them - the orange man must really rot their souls

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login