OT - If I Get One More Mailer from Delbert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Because people are going to eat groceries regardless. They may adjust their spending some by spending less on prepared foods or buying less name brand or "luxury" foods, but they are going to impacted less by taxes than just about anything else you can think of. People will just eat out less if you add taxes to restaurant bills and obviously yachts and other luxury goods are relatively responsive to taxes, as a lot of unfortunate blue collar workers found out when the US implemented a luxury tax on boats.
Yes, but why would a 7% tax on groceries be less thread weight than a 1% increase on all goods? If you don't think people are responsive to grocery prices and adjust how they buy in response, I just don't know what to say. There's a ton of ways to spend more or less on groceries, chief.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Again, it's going to be a slow and hard process to get to prosperous after 100+ years of shooting ourselves in the foot. But we sure as hell can't tax and spend our way to prosperity. We are consistently putting together a bunch of singles in economic development. Hopefully that will eventually give us enough of a base that when we have native sons and daughters create triples and home runs, they won't leave the state to do so.

We can get by right now only because of all the federal money we get. We certainly could be smarter about how we spend money. We should probably significantly narrow the scope of our state government and spend more on core functions, but that's hard when you have federal mandates and also there is "free" federal money to do stuff.

We have only slowed down our digging in the past couple of decades. We had over 100 years of democrat rule with more or less big government, new deal style policies, with the oh so helpful adder of trying to make sure a significant portion of our population never prospered. It's unfortunately going to take more than a couple of decades to undo that damage. We'll probably be playing catch up for the next 100 years, and that's assuming that our $20B (and growing) of unfunded pension obligations don't derail us before then.
Mississippi, 100 years of big government!. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Apologies for the laughter here but a tax that affects everyone equally would not be considered reasonably progressive because they take 7 percent from lower-income folks.

It's reasonably progressive because SNAP recipients pay less and generally people with more money spend more on groceries. Progressiveness and efficiency are not quite mutually exclusive, but certainly they usually work at odds with each other. A grocery tax is very efficient while maintaining some progressivity with respect to taxes paid on groceries.

Here's where we disagree.

You're presuming that Lower-Income = SNAP.

And that's not always the case.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Yeah, but I think that would promote food deserts.

Lots of small towns in the state don't have grocery stores to serve their citizens so giving the supermarkets a break makes good economic sense for them.
No, the cities collect 20% of the 7% sales tax collected. Eliminating the grocery tax would take that portion of sales tax collections away from the cities, which statewide is several millions of dollars. Many small towns cannot afford to lose that income. That's what makes eliminating the grocery tax hard, its not just the state absorbing the cut (like income).

When the Legislature eliminated the Inventory Tax (another tax that went to local governments), they did so in the forms of a credit to state corporate income tax allowing the state to take the hit, not the locals.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
How does trying to make a humorous, yet somewhat serious, comment about getting too much political junk mail turn into this? :LOL:

Memo for erryone, you're not going to change the other guy's mind, so keep it light and fun!

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Yes, but why would a 7% tax on groceries be less thread weight than a 1% increase on all goods? If you don't think people are responsive to grocery prices and adjust how they buy in response, I just don't know what to say. There's a ton of ways to spend more or less on groceries, chief.
Holy ****, please read the posts you respond to. I explicitly referenced people changing their spending in response to taxes. But the reason there would be less deadweight loss is that the demand for groceries is going to be less elastic than the demand for most other goods and services. They aren't going to just stop buying groceries.

There are probably plenty of things that are close. Taxes on utilities may be close? People with the means will spend more on energy efficiency; people that are price sensitive will change the way they consume energy, although I'm not sure that adjustment would be bigger or have more deadweight loss than the adjustment to grocery taxes. Clothes people will buy less of as well as go cheaper. Gas is somewhat close in the short run, but I think people are more likely to change the way they drive and/or buy a more fuel efficient car over the medium term. Much more so than people are willing to grow their own food to avoid the tax? Home Insurance is probably more inelastic? And everybody pays one way or the other, whether directly or through rent. Health insurance is probably close? Except people will just go without, which they can't do with groceries. But in general, most things people spend money on will be more price sensitive than groceries.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Holy ****, please read the posts you respond to. I explicitly referenced people changing their spending in response to taxes. But the reason there would be less deadweight loss is that the demand for groceries is going to be less elastic than the demand for most other goods and services. They aren't going to just stop buying groceries.

There are probably plenty of things that are close. Taxes on utilities may be close? People with the means will spend more on energy efficiency; people that are price sensitive will change the way they consume energy, although I'm not sure that adjustment would be bigger or have more deadweight loss than the adjustment to grocery taxes. Clothes people will buy less of as well as go cheaper. Gas is somewhat close in the short run, but I think people are more likely to change the way they drive and/or buy a more fuel efficient car over the medium term. Much more so than people are willing to grow their own food to avoid the tax? Home Insurance is probably more inelastic? And everybody pays one way or the other, whether directly or through rent. Health insurance is probably close? Except people will just go without, which they can't do with groceries. But in general, most things people spend money on will be more price sensitive than groceries.
[/URL]

The people the tax affects that way the most are the people we LEAST want to be doing that to, people eligible for SNAP that don't use it.

EtA: link problems. Trying again. Try 4. 17 it, try this, first link.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The people the tax affects that way the most are the people we LEAST want to be doing that to, people eligible for SNAP that don't use it.

EtA: link problems. Trying again. Try 3.

United States Department of Agriculture (.gov)
https://www.ers.usda.gov ā€ŗ er...PDF
Food Taxes and Their Impacts on Food Spending

The TLDR for johnson86-1 is that SNAP recipients don't pay taxes on groceries anyway.

Edit to note: And that means that Non-Hispanic Whites are much more affected by grocery taxes than any other ethnic group (If 53.1% of non-Hispanic Black alone Mississippians and 19.5% of the stateā€™s non-Hispanic White alone populations were eligible for SNAP benefits, then that means that over 80 percent of non-Hispanic Whites pay grocery taxes compared to less than 47 percent of non-Hispanic Blacks-- meaning that it would be more progressive to allow all people to have a level field).

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
[/URL]

EtA: link problems. Trying again. Try 4. 17 it, try this, first link.

That is unfortunate but I don't know that you can make policy on a federal or state level intended to account for the fact that people don't take advantage of all the programs available to them and intended for them. I appreciate people not taking welfare benefits they don't feel like they need, but in my view the time for that attitude passed long ago. They are getting screwed by government, they might as well take the benefits also. Plus most people are going to take social security, so there's not much reason for drawing the line at SNAP.

But the paper in general reinforces my points. SNAP in general shields the most needy from a significant portion of any grocery tax, and spending at restaurants is more responsive to taxes than groceries.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
I'm voting for the other guy (and I don't even vote).
I used to be the same way. I got really annoyed with the constant mailers from candidates, including the ones I planned to vote for. Then, a friend of mine ran for state rep. He started getting flyers to vote for himself that he didn't send. The county, state, and private republican groups were sending stuff out to support him that he didn't design or approve. I still gave him crap about all the political junk mail from "him" because that's what friends do. Maybe it's different in other places but I wouldn't assume that just because it has a candidates name on it that it came from the candidate.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I
The TLDR for johnson86-1 is that SNAP recipients don't pay taxes on groceries anyway.

Edit to note: And that means that Non-Hispanic Whites are much more affected by grocery taxes than any other ethnic group (If 53.1% of non-Hispanic Black alone Mississippians and 19.5% of the stateā€™s non-Hispanic White alone populations were eligible for SNAP benefits, then that means that over 80 percent of non-Hispanic Whites pay grocery taxes compared to less than 47 percent of non-Hispanic Blacks-- meaning that it would be more progressive to allow all people to have a level field).

I don't think in general, and I personally definitely don't, that "progressive" means helps minorities rather than helps the poor, at least in economic contexts.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I don't think in general, and I personally definitely don't, that "progressive" means helps minorities rather than helps the poor, at least in economic contexts.
I agree with you.

And I think that many people who identify themselves as "Progressive" would also agree.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
That is unfortunate but I don't know that you can make policy on a federal or state level intended to account for the fact that people don't take advantage of all the programs available to them and intended for them. I appreciate people not taking welfare benefits they don't feel like they need, but in my view the time for that attitude passed long ago. They are getting screwed by government, they might as well take the benefits also. Plus most people are going to take social security, so there's not much reason for drawing the line at SNAP.

But the paper in general reinforces my points. SNAP in general shields the most needy from a significant portion of any grocery tax, and spending at restaurants is more responsive to taxes than groceries.
Sure we can craft policy that way! It's just a matter of wisdom and desire.

I dont think it does reinforce your point, though I'll admit this discussion is spinning me around right now as i am not as versed in translating rightie crap theory into reality on this topic as on others, and ive only glanced at the link. It says SNAP users do not make decisions based on price, which makes sense as they don't see the price anyway. It says the poor that don't use SNAP are sensitive to price, and will alter purchasing based on tax. So, these people are presumably purchasing cheaper, less healthy food due to the current tax. And guess who pays their future med bills? This is a classic dead weight loss, which we could remove by eliminating this tax. Then the not-poor are not price sensitive, so there is no dead weight loss there as they buy what they buy regardless. Eliminating this tax on them and replacing it with another may create dead weight loss, or may reduce it if the new tax is well crafted.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Again, it's going to be a slow and hard process to get to prosperous after 100+ years of shooting ourselves in the foot. But we sure as hell can't tax and spend our way to prosperity. We are consistently putting together a bunch of singles in economic development. Hopefully that will eventually give us enough of a base that when we have native sons and daughters create triples and home runs, they won't leave the state to do so.

We can get by right now only because of all the federal money we get. We certainly could be smarter about how we spend money. We should probably significantly narrow the scope of our state government and spend more on core functions, but that's hard when you have federal mandates and also there is "free" federal money to do stuff.

We have only slowed down our digging in the past couple of decades. We had over 100 years of democrat rule with more or less big government, new deal style policies, with the oh so helpful adder of trying to make sure a significant portion of our population never prospered. It's unfortunately going to take more than a couple of decades to undo that damage. We'll probably be playing catch up for the next 100 years, and that's assuming that our $20B (and growing) of unfunded pension obligations don't derail us before then.
Oh, it's the progressive democrats that got MS in the spot it's in. Yeah, that's it.***

Just keep slashing taxes and spending less on education, infrastructure, and other services. Thatll fix things!***

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It's reasonably progressive because SNAP recipients pay less and generally people with more money spend more on groceries. Progressiveness and efficiency are not quite mutually exclusive, but certainly they usually work at odds with each other. A grocery tax is very efficient while maintaining some progressivity with respect to taxes paid on groceries.
A traditional grocery tax is regressive. That's just reality.

Progressive tax- rate that adjusts based on income or other factors.
Regressive tax- rate that is the same for all regardless of income or other factors.

Also, a huge amount of people are poor/low income but not on snap.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Also, a huge amount of people are poor/low income but not on snap.
Yep.

Whenā€¦

1. The average salary (as of 2020) for Mississippians is just above $25,000.

2. SNAP covers the Mississippians at roughly the lowest third of salaries.

That meansā€¦

3. There are a bunch of folks making below $2,100 a month pre-tax and pre-deductions who wouldnā€™t mind a little help.

4. And when considering that grocery costs have risen so much in the past three yearsā€¦

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Oh, it's the progressive democrats that got MS in the spot it's in. Yeah, that's it.***

I don't know if you want to call them progressive (although they were super focused on race, like current progressives), but they weren't small government republicans.

Just keep slashing taxes and spending less on education, infrastructure, and other services. Thatll fix things!***
Just keep what we've been doing for the past 150 years, that will fix things!***

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Sure we can craft policy that way! It's just a matter of wisdom and desire.
If you have a policy/program to address a concern and people aren't signing up for it, I would say the reasonable options are to accept that some eligible people don't want/need it, (2) try to increase awareness of/enrollment in the program, or (3) redesign or scrap it and come up with something new that people will take advantage of. It doesn't seem reasonable to add redundant programs or to avoid other policy decisions because of a lack of enrollment.

I dont think it does reinforce your point, though I'll admit this discussion is spinning me around right now as i am not as versed in translating rightie crap theory into reality on this topic as on others, and ive only glanced at the link. It says SNAP users do not make decisions based on price, which makes sense as they don't see the price anyway.
Correct. That was one of my points. The ones who are the worst off don't have to pay much of the tax (only on their non-snap spending).

It says the poor that don't use SNAP are sensitive to price, and will alter purchasing based on tax.

This is one of my other points. People that are better off but not well off will adjust. So they have some control over how much they pay, but at the end of the day they have to buy groceries so they will pay the tax (and at the end of the day, somebody has to pay tax). And as you note in your last sentence, the study says well off buyers don't seem to adjust at all. This is good. It means they pay more tax and don't engage in any wasteful tax avoidance. So the poorest aren't taxed, the slightly better off are but have at least some control to limit the tax (although it will involve some deadweight loss), and the well off will pay the most and will not engage in any wasteful tax avoidance activities or will create relatively little deadweight loss. And as you noted earlier, the exception to all of the above would be people that are eligible for SNAP that don't utilize it.

So, these people are presumably purchasing cheaper, less healthy food due to the current tax.
I would say probably not. People aren't generally making tradeoffs between price and healthiness. They are making tradeoffs between price and convenience and taste. Some of the changes people make in response to price will push them to less healthy alternatives, some will push them to healthier alternatives. I don't know of anything that would indicate which direction that would go on net. People like to pretend that eating healthy is a cost issue, because then there is an easy solution, but that's just not the case. If you go to the grocery store in a poor area, you mostly don't see people loading up on food that is cheaper than dried beans, in season fruits and vegetables, brown rice, etc. In fact, it's not doable politically because of the strength of certain food and beverage companies, but I think you actually could get people to eat healthier if you made soda and high carb, low fiber/protein (e.g., chips, cookies, etc) ineligible for SNAP and relaxed the ban on hot food for beans and vegetables and rotisserie chicken.

And guess who pays their future med bills? This is a classic dead weight loss, which we could remove by eliminating this tax.
That is not a dead weight loss. Arguably it's an externality if you make certain assumptions.

Then the not-poor are not price sensitive, so there is no dead weight loss there as they buy what they buy regardless. Eliminating this tax on them and replacing it with another may create dead weight loss, or may reduce it if the new tax is well crafted.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I don't know if you want to call them progressive (although they were super focused on race, like current progressives), but they weren't small government republicans.
Uhhh, focused on race, but kinda in a very important different way, right?

They were small govt conservative Democrats, that became small govt Republicans, right?
Just keep what we've been doing for the past 150 years, that will fix things!***
You think MS was a tax and spend state until the GOP took over?

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
If you have a policy/program to address a concern and people aren't signing up for it, I would say the reasonable options are to accept that some eligible people don't want/need it, (2) try to increase awareness of/enrollment in the program, or (3) redesign or scrap it and come up with something new that people will take advantage of. It doesn't seem reasonable to add redundant programs or to avoid other policy decisions because of a lack of enrollment.
I don't think we're talking about the same thing here. Maybe I'll parse it out later.
Correct. That was one of my points. The ones who are the worst off don't have to pay much of the tax (only on their non-snap spending).

This is one of my other points. People that are better off but not well off will adjust. So they have some control over how much they pay, but at the end of the day they have to buy groceries so they will pay the tax (and at the end of the day, somebody has to pay tax). And as you note in your last sentence, the study says well off buyers don't seem to adjust at all. This is good. It means they pay more tax and don't engage in any wasteful tax avoidance. So the poorest aren't taxed, the slightly better off are but have at least some control to limit the tax (although it will involve some deadweight loss), and the well off will pay the most and will not engage in any wasteful tax avoidance activities or will create relatively little deadweight loss. And as you noted earlier, the exception to all of the above would be people that are eligible for SNAP that don't utilize it.
You seem to think "have to buy groceries" equals no dead weight loss. I think the fact that people will adjust their spending patterns means there IS dead weight loss (however much weight you ascribe to that theory).
I would say probably not. People aren't generally making tradeoffs between price and healthiness. They are making tradeoffs between price and convenience and taste. Some of the changes people make in response to price will push them to less healthy alternatives, some will push them to healthier alternatives. I don't know of anything that would indicate which direction that would go on net. People like to pretend that eating healthy is a cost issue, because then there is an easy solution, but that's just not the case. If you go to the grocery store in a poor area, you mostly don't see people loading up on food that is cheaper than dried beans, in season fruits and vegetables, brown rice, etc. In fact, it's not doable politically because of the strength of certain food and beverage companies, but I think you actually could get people to eat healthier if you made soda and high carb, low fiber/protein (e.g., chips, cookies, etc) ineligible for SNAP and relaxed the ban on hot food for beans and vegetables and rotisserie chicken.
You think cheaper food, in America, is not less healthy?

Agreed on soda.
That is not a dead weight loss. Arguably it's an externality if you make certain assumptions.
Depends on your definition. Some define it as a difference in production and consumption. Some define it as a cost to society.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

They were small govt conservative Democrats, that became small govt Republicans, right?
If I remember correctly, he has claimed the bold text above never happened. Either it is a common misunderstanding or its a false narrative, or something like that.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
That was mostly tongue in cheek, although I do think a lot of democrat's have immoral views on race, even if their resulting policies now are not nearly are abhorrent as their resulting policies then.

You think MS was a tax and spend state until the GOP took over?
For the times? Yes. There wasn't the scale of government spending in general then, but they certainly weren't small government. And you can't do things like have a government enforced segregation without big(ger) government.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
That was mostly tongue in cheek, although I do think a lot of democrat's have immoral views on race, even if their resulting policies now are not nearly are abhorrent as their resulting policies then.
Of course their policies are not now as abhorrent, all the racists ran to the GOP! Tongue in cheek.....but also fact.
For the times? Yes. There wasn't the scale of government spending in general then, but they certainly weren't small government. And you can't do things like have a government enforced segregation without big(ger) government.
Interesting theory. Does not appear to fit the facts, but interesting. By this link, MS was 48th in state taxation in 1977. (But somehow 35th in overall taxation? I guess more progressive federal taxation pulled them up in the rankings?)

But yes, a large police force is always necessary to enforce fascist rule.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
If I remember correctly, he has claimed the bold text above never happened. Either it is a common misunderstanding or its a false narrative, or something like that.
I have pointed out how stupid the claim is that racist democrats just decamped to the republican party. Racist democrats mostly just got old and died off. Certainly some politicians switched with the political winds, and a lot of younger democratic voters probably (hopefully?) decided that voting based on racial animus didn't make a lot of sense (or at least decided that other factors were more important), but it's not like it took a couple of decades for people in Mississippi to hear about the Civil Rights Act(s). Mississippi didn't have two republican senators until almost 1990. We didn't have a majority of our house representatives be republican until 1997. It's first republican governor since reconstruction was 1991. Republicans didn't have the state senate and house until 2012. Their first control of the house was a very temporary majority in 2007.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I have pointed out how stupid the claim is that racist democrats just decamped to the republican party. Racist democrats mostly just got old and died off. Certainly some politicians switched with the political winds, and a lot of younger democratic voters probably (hopefully?) decided that voting based on racial animus didn't make a lot of sense (or at least decided that other factors were more important), but it's not like it took a couple of decades for people in Mississippi to hear about the Civil Rights Act(s). Mississippi didn't have two republican senators until almost 1990. We didn't have a majority of our house representatives be republican until 1997. It's first republican governor since reconstruction was 1991. Republicans didn't have the state senate and house until 2012. Their first control of the house was a very temporary majority in 2007.
Maybe I'll try to look up stats later, but my impression from the peeps I knew that were of voting age at that time, most stayed Democrats either for a while or until they died (especially in state elections, where the Dems on offer closely matched their views unlike national/Presidential Dems), while the younger ones with the same views became Republicans.

Brand identity and all that.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Read a book, yo.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Read a book, yo.

Letā€™s aim higher than just read a book. lots of books are stupid. Lots of books are dishonest. And unfortunstely, lots of people are stupid and are going to be fooled by just about any narrative thatā€™s strung together in a coherent fashion, even if the narrative is obviously inconsistent with the facts if a moment of critical thought is given to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login