OT: If it's not one thing, it's another: dock workers strike

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
East coast dock workers went on strike today, bringing ALL east coast shipping ports to a grinding halt.

They have rejected a 50% pay increase (west coast dock workers last year agreed to a 32% pay increase). They want a 77% raise and no use of automation. I'm not sure which of those seems like a bigger reach.

At least retailers supposedly worked in anticipation of this to stock up so consumers shouldn't feel the effects for a few weeks, except maybe on some very perishable items like bananas.

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
Make no mistake about it, the ILA doesn't give a rip about the businesses affected by their strike and they certainly dont give a rip about the repercussions their actions will cause to this country. They never have cared about such things and they never will. This strike was intentional. There has been no good faith negotiations going on since June and even that was minimal. I can tell you this, they do not have the support of rank and file container truckers who are now jobless until the ILA can at least put something reasonable forward if they ever decide to.

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
Believe in America not cheap scapegoating.
Trust our traditions & our institutions instead of tearing things down
Good luck you'll need it
Ok I'll bite. What institutions are worth having my trust?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login