OT Incredible explanation of "Implosion" in BBC Titan sub article. (Maths involved)

PSU73

Oct 12, 2021
This was on BBC news today (link below) and is an excerpt from the article. Apparently from this, you would be gone before your brain recognized something was happening.

What happens in an implosion?

When a submarine hull collapses, it moves inward at about 1,500mph (2,414km/h) - that's 2,200ft (671m) per second, says Dave Corley, a former US nuclear submarine officer.
The time required for complete collapse is about one millisecond, or one thousandth of a second.
A human brain responds instinctually to a stimulus at about 25 milliseconds, Mr Corley says. Human rational response - from sensing to acting - is believed to be at best 150 milliseconds.
The air inside a sub has a fairly high concentration of hydrocarbon vapours.
When the hull collapses, the air auto-ignites and an explosion follows the initial rapid implosion, Mr Corley says.
Human bodies incinerate and are turned to ash and dust instantly.

Titan sub implosion: What we know about catastrophic event - BBC News

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
This was on BBC news today (link below) and is an excerpt from the article. Apparently from this, you would be gone before your brain recognized something was happening.

When a submarine hull collapses, it moves inward at about 1,500mph (2,414km/h) - that's 2,200ft (671m) per second, says Dave Corley, a former US nuclear submarine officer.
The time required for complete collapse is about one millisecond, or one thousandth of a second.
A human brain responds instinctually to a stimulus at about 25 milliseconds, Mr Corley says. Human rational response - from sensing to acting - is believed to be at best 150 milliseconds.
When the hull collapses, the air auto-ignites and an explosion follows the initial rapid implosion, Mr Corley says.

It’s this. Under water.

PSU73

Oct 12, 2021
I saw this earlier today. I think with the weight of the water that deep, it would be much much worse then what is in this video. Also, is the majority of the public that dumb that the news services have to explain what an implosion is?
The BBC story was about 'what happens in an implosion' and just as you pointed out likely very different than the railroad cars, including the suggestion that there was an 'explosion' as well. The descriptive nature of this event far exceeds the common definition (noun: an instance of something collapsing violently inward)

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021

I read an article which compared it to what occurs in a diesel engine. No spark would be needed. The immense pressure of the water would have been like a diesel piston. The rapid and extreme pressure increase would have caused the gas to almost instantaneously increase to auto-ignite temperature. With the sub, there would have been a very brief orange flash which would have been extinguished by the water refilling the void.

I hear reporters asking questions about the possibility of retrieving remains. The experts are being delicate in saying it's not possible.

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
I saw this earlier today. I think with the weight of the water that deep, it would be much much worse then what is in this video. Also, is the majority of the public that dumb that the news services have to explain what an implosion is?
I believe you are correct B Uggs, I would say yes to both.
I posted an article about implosion a few yrs ago. Millisecs elapse between being alive and disappearing. The greatest fear in the mind will be knowing you are helplessly descending waiting for crush depth and doomed.

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
"A writer who said he was set to travel on the doomed Titan submersible said OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush told him that for the vessel's hull, the company used cut-price Boeing carbon fiber that was past its airplane shelf life."
WOW...

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
I spent a good deal of my career designing stuff that got put into the deep ocean for the Navy, offshore oil, marine exploration. Testing stuff to 20,000...30,000 psi. The power of that pressure is astounding. Something made of solid, thick walled stainless steel, put in a pressure vessel and taken to failure, all you hear is a "tink"... but when you pull the part out of the pressure vessel it is a mangled mess. The reason there wasn't much sound was because that destruction happened almost instantaneously.

I once witnessed a proof test on a 20,000 psi pressure vessel. The company that built it for us made an error in the design, and at about 15,000 psi, the lid flew off the vessel. Went through the roof of the building. We stood there for a few seconds looking at each other, wondering... "OK, that steel lid that weighs several hundred pounds is now coming back down. Now what do we do?" There was no good answer since we had no clue where it was going to come back through the roof. Luckily, it landed about 50 feet away and no one was hurt.

The pressures at deep ocean depths are completely unforgiving of design or manufacturing errors. You're just dead.

DaytonRickster

Oct 25, 2021

Tragic ending.

Reactions: step.eng69

PSU1969A

Nov 3, 2021

May they rest in peace. May their families & friends be comforted.

Nits1989

Oct 29, 2021
Delete post. Post number 1 said exactly the same thing. The people in the sub literally didn’t have time to process and feel what was happening before it was over.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Does OceanGate have other vessels, and are they shut down pending an investigation by the Coast Guard or other entities?

• Wow

Hugh Laurie

Oct 6, 2021

This it how it happens at normal atmospheric pressure. Takes a few milliseconds longer to recognize what just happened but the after effect is the same.

An implosion followed by total silence

PSUAVLNC

Oct 28, 2021
I work in maritime safety but nothing subsurface. While we’re all impressed with “pressure”. I’ve heard 6000 psi at that depth? Not sure. It’s the “force” that is really impressive.

Pressure x Area = Force

P X A = F

So it is 6000 psi that’s acting on every sq inch of the outside surface of the vessel.

That’s why we can’t build a square submarine. You have to distribute the force over the entire area.

Those videos don’t even come close, that was 14.7 psi acting on the surface area of the pressure vessel in those videos.

I’m not sure our minds can conceive of an implosion at that depth.

Last edited:

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021

Pennstatel0

May 1, 2022

The air inside a sub has a fairly high concentration of hydrocarbon vapours

Why is this?

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
The air inside a sub has a fairly high concentration of hydrocarbon vapours

Why is this?
If I had to guess, it would be because people in the sub are exhaling. If they breath in the oxygen supply and there is not a carbon scrubber the hydrocarbons will be more concentrated.

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
That’s why I’ve never tried to invent anything.

😞
The Venus 2000 wasn't yours?

• Sad
Reactions: BobPSU92

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
Surprised there have been no conspiracy theories saying they weren’t onboard. Or do I just scan the wrong sites?
Mike,
60th anniversary of JFK's this year....
Likely a thread will be started before the fall and you'll get more conspiracy theories than you can handle.

🧐

Reactions: BobPSU92

rap5088

Sep 1, 2022
Was the implosion the reason why they lost contact with the vessel?

Or did they lose contact then some time later the vessel imploded?

Latest posts