OT: Is fishing with Livescope like cheating?

Is fishing with Livescope cheating?

• Yes it’s like cheating.

Votes: 28 51.9%
  • No it’s just another tool to fish with.

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Don’t care either way.

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • I hate fishing…add me to the list.**

Votes: 2 3.7%

• Total voters

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The Department of Wildlife Fisheries and Parks just came out with new limits on crappie because people are catching so many fish with Livescope.

REMINDER - New creel limits for crappie at Lake Washington and the four Flood Control Reservoirs (Grenada, Enid, Sardis, and Arkabutla) go into effect tomorrow, July 24th.

New regulations:
-> At Lake Washington, the daily creel limit for crappie is 20 fish per angler & the minimum length limit remains at 11 inches.

->At the four Flood Control Reservoirs, the daily creel limit for crappie is 10 fish per angler & daily boat limit is 25 fish for boats with three or more anglers. The minimum length limit remains at 12 inches.

For more information - https://www.mdwfp.com/news/mdwfp-an...D-HcoVKSivGmqr4YFQ_aem_rqx7q46Hu7PO7floMG-bEQ

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
10 per at a foot long doesn't sound endangered so I voted no. Plenty of fish left in the lake and erybody gets 2nds.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I’m fine with it for recreational use, but it should be disallowed in tournament fishing.

Reactions: DerHntr

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
It shouldn’t be allowed on smaller bodies of water. I’m ok with it on places like the reservoir or Grenada lake.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I fish with a friend who has one. To me it makes fishing boring. You drop your jig right on the fish then pull them off in the boat. It is expedient though.

Reactions: DerHntr and Dawgg

3000lbchicken

May 1, 2006
We used to fill our freezer up every spring during the spawn to have fish for the year. We don't do that any more with livescope. I throw way more back than I keep. Keep a few if we want to have a fish fry. But thats just me. There are some that will rape the big lakes when they are at winter pool.
FYI, livescope won't make them bite. You'll learn more about them with it too. They are getting smarter and any boat sound will spook them to the bottom after being chased around.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
We used to fill our freezer up every spring during the spawn to have fish for the year. We don't do that any more with livescope. I throw way more back than I keep. Keep a few if we want to have a fish fry. But thats just me. There are some that will rape the big lakes when they are at winter pool.
FYI, livescope won't make them bite. You'll learn more about them with it too. They are getting smarter and any boat sound will spook them to the bottom after being chased around.
I think that’s more my concern. It’s going to make the fish spook or change their habits to where you’re almost forced to fish with them.

Reactions: DerHntr

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Unless you're dependent on fishing solely to feed yourself and your family, then what's the point? You have more technology than a fish? I feel like there's got to be some, ya know, sport to it.

Reactions: T-TownDawgg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I suck at fishing and only try to catch whatever I can see...so its always fish near a bank. Thats a free version of livescope.
No worry on me hitting my limit since everything is thrown back due to size!

Fishing with livescope isnt cheating- its like using a rangefinder in golf, a quality scope when hunting, etc. Its just technology that can make a hobby easier/more fun/more successful.
Also, someone with $10k in reels and other tackle isnt cheating when they are compared to a guy with a string, hook, and worm. Its all just how someone wants to experience their hobby.

Reactions: stateu1

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Fishing with livescope isnt cheating- it’s like using a rangefinder in golf, a quality scope when hunting, etc. It’s just technology that can make a hobby easier/more fun/more successful.
Also, someone with $10k in reels and other tackle isnt cheating when they are compared to a guy with a string, hook, and worm. Its all just how someone wants to experience their hobby.
If that scope allows you to see in the dark, it’s not legal to use in the dark for hunting deer.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
fishing dynamite GIF

this was the most advanced technology available back in my fishing days. Some M-80’s with waterproof fuses, a little ammonia nitrate, a little diesel fuel, and some of grandma’s empty pill bottles.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
I suck at fishing and only try to catch whatever I can see...so its always fish near a bank. Thats a free version of livescope.
No worry on me hitting my limit since everything is thrown back due to size!

Fishing with livescope isnt cheating- its like using a rangefinder in golf, a quality scope when hunting, etc. Its just technology that can make a hobby easier/more fun/more successful.
It is not like using a range finder or a gun scope. It would be like having thermal imaging technology that worked well in daylight and you could drive around in your truck or ATV seeing through the woods to find the deer. A range finder and a gun scope do not put you right on the animal.

I’m not saying they should be illegal. I’m saying you are not comparing apples to apples.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It is not like using a range finder or a gun scope. It would be like having thermal imaging technology that worked well in daylight and you could drive around in your truck or ATV seeing through the woods to find the deer. A range finder and a gun scope do not put you right on the animal.

I’m not saying they should be illegal. I’m saying you are not comparing apples to apples.
I agree they aren't apple to apple comparisons.
I was just listing some examples of technology that make a hobby easier/more successful, but I don't consider to be 'cheating'.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
The Department of Wildlife Fisheries and Parks just came out with new limits on crappie because people are catching so many fish with Livescope.

REMINDER - New creel limits for crappie at Lake Washington and the four Flood Control Reservoirs (Grenada, Enid, Sardis, and Arkabutla) go into effect tomorrow, July 24th.

New regulations:
-> At Lake Washington, the daily creel limit for crappie is 20 fish per angler & the minimum length limit remains at 11 inches.

->At the four Flood Control Reservoirs, the daily creel limit for crappie is 10 fish per angler & daily boat limit is 25 fish for boats with three or more anglers. The minimum length limit remains at 12 inches.

For more information - https://www.mdwfp.com/news/mdwfp-an...D-HcoVKSivGmqr4YFQ_aem_rqx7q46Hu7PO7floMG-bEQ
How is the flood control reservoirs creel limit different than before? I been fishing those for years and that was what I always thought the limit was. I know they added the 25 per boat max probably 8 or so years ago. You also can only use up to 4 rods per person.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
How is the flood control reservoirs creel limit different than before? I been fishing those for years and that was what I always thought the limit was. I know they added the 25 per boat max probably 8 or so years ago. You also can only use up to 4 rods per person.
Went from 15 to 10 fish. Length stayed at 12 inch.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login