OT: Jackson Waste Disposal

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I'm truly sorry to bring this up again, but I want to see if anyone here has actual facts about what this constant dispute is over. Jackson is not getting their trash picked up, once again...

I certainly think I know what's going on. My assumption is the mayor is getting some form of payola from Richard's and that's why he keeps pushing for their approval. But, I have no facts on that. It just seems odd that you'd want this company over a proven operator like Waste Management. They apparently can't even get the job done in their home base...

Any comments with some solid details would be great. And try your best not to get it locked in an hour, ummmkkkaaayyy...

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
There's accusations on both sides about kickbacks. Some in the mayor's camp say those wanting Waste Management are receiving kickbacks. I don't know if any or all of it is true. What I do know is the residents of Jackson are unfortunately in the middle of a pissing contest and no one is coming out clean.

I don't trust what comes out of either side on this.

Reactions: She Mate Me

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I have not been to Jackson in nearly 20 years, but from reading this board I am surprised to know the residents haven't been throwing all their garbage in the streets or burning it.... But they damn sure will be soon if they have to wait 50 days for another RFP before someone picks up their garbage. Yikes

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I have not been to Jackson in nearly 20 years, but from reading this board I am surprised to know the residents haven't been throwing all their garbage in the streets or burning it.... But they damn sure will be soon if they have to wait 50 days for another RFP before someone picks up their garbage. Yikes
Dump it at city hall.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
" I am surprised to know the residents haven't been throwing all their garbage in the streets or burning it...."
In certain areas of town it looks like they've been doing that for a while.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
I'm truly sorry to bring this up again, but I want to see if anyone here has actual facts about what this constant dispute is over. Jackson is not getting their trash picked up, once again...

I certainly think I know what's going on. My assumption is the mayor is getting some form of payola from Richard's and that's why he keeps pushing for their approval. But, I have no facts on that. It just seems odd that you'd want this company over a proven operator like Waste Management. They apparently can't even get the job done in their home base...

Any comments with some solid details would be great. And try your best not to get it locked in an hour, ummmkkkaaayyy...
The vendor given the emergency contract, Richard’s Disposal, is a sketchy as hell contractor out of New Orleans. This vendor lost its only contract, with the City of New Orleans, last year for poor performance. This was Drake’s preferred vendor and he pushed the s h i t out of them. The majority of the council knows why and refuses to play. If you really want to know what’s going on, go watch the video of the emergency council meeting. Ask yourself, why was there so much questioning and discussion around “how much of the Richard’s Disposal contract covers IT services?” Then ask “why would the Rochard’s representative refuse to disclose who their subcontractors are?”Then delve into who Richards used for IT services during the emergency contract. Then delve into that IT service contractor’s connections to a certain Mayor. It’s nothing more than straight up bulls h i t corruption.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
The vendor given the emergency contract, Richard’s Disposal, is a sketchy as hell contractor out of New Orleans. This vendor lost its only contract, with the City of New Orleans, last year for poor performance. This was Drake’s preferred vendor and he pushed the s h i t out of them. The majority of the council knows why and refuses to play. If you really want to know what’s going on, go watch the video of the emergency council meeting. Ask yourself, why was there so much questioning and discussion around “how much of the Richard’s Disposal contract covers IT services?” Then ask “why would the Rochard’s representative refuse to disclose who their subcontractors are?”Then delve into who Richards used for IT services during the emergency contract. Then delve into that IT service contractor’s connections to a certain Mayor. It’s nothing more than straight up bulls h i t corruption.

This is the content I'm here for!!

I had a feeling that little snippet in the article about IT was the method of payment.

Wouldn't it be nice to have an honest, independent media that broke down obvious corruption from both major party politicians and rooted it out, rather than covering it up?

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
Who’s Drake? Surely not THE Drake (based on that FB link)? Sorry, tried the google…

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Imagine the type of personality that is happy to choose his own criminal interests over the simple providing of basic services to the people he was elected to work for.

If they keep reelecting him it's hard to feel any sorrow for those who vote for him (and aren't getting some illicit benefit for it).

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

WGWFA

Oct 12, 2021
Imagine the type of personality that is happy to choose his own criminal interests over the simple providing of basic services to the people he was elected to work for.

If they keep reelecting him it's hard to feel any sorrow for those who vote for him (and aren't getting some illicit benefit for it).
May I introduce you to Kenny Stokes?

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014

This, elections have consequences. No garbage service and a dilapidated water/sewer infrastructure system with no end in sight.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
There's accusations on both sides about kickbacks. Some in the mayor's camp say those wanting Waste Management are receiving kickbacks. I don't know if any or all of it is true. What I do know is the residents of Jackson are unfortunately in the middle of a pissing contest and no one is coming out clean.

I don't trust what comes out of either side on this.
I trust Vernon Hartley and Ashby Foote a lot more than the others. Let’s not act like they are all corrupt. That’s minimizing how bad Lumumba really is. He’s awful.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008

If I remember correctly, only around 16,000 people voted in the last Jackson mayoral election. That's 10% of the population of Jackson.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
TLDR — Perfect is the enemy of good.

The council is basically in a snit that the bidding process wasn’t perfect.

They’ve long been struggling with Chokwe Antar (which is too bad since his father surprisingly showed signs of pragmatism) over a lot of things regarding Jackson governance.

However, it can be argued that the bidding process was good especially since Jackson’s residents and businesses had garbage collection and now they don’t.

It’s election year for cities and towns and now I wonder how many council candidates will use garbage collection as their campaign theme?

Probably upwards of 80 percent if it’s not solved quickly.

I know quite a few Jacksonians who are more upset at the council than the mayor because they think the council is having difficulty in considering the forest when they’re paying attention to each individual tree.

Reactions: dorndawg

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
"It’s election year for cities and towns and now I wonder how many council candidates will use garbage collection as their campaign theme?"

ME, it's an election year for county-wide and district offices, not municipalities. We've got two more years of this non-sense in jacktown before municipal elections.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
"It’s election year for cities and towns and now I wonder how many council candidates will use garbage collection as their campaign theme?"

ME, it's an election year for county-wide and district offices, not municipalities. We've got two more years of this non-sense in jacktown before municipal elections.
Thanks.

Can you tell I have election fatigue?

Reactions: dorndawg

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
If I remember correctly, only around 16,000 people voted in the last Jackson mayoral election. That's 10% of the population of Jackson.

Had to look. It was 19,000 and he got 69% vs 4 Independent candidates, including BigMama Lodree.

patdog

May 28, 2007
My coworkers have a plan. I've been informed they're dumping their garbage on my front yard on Tuesday and Friday mornings. **

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
If Stokes is corrupt I would think it's for pennies compared to the higher ups. He gives a damn about his voters but his standards just aren't very high.
I’d have to agree with this. If he is corrupt, others are doing it way better. I first moved to Jackson area in 2012 and I couldn’t believe Kenny stokes. He was a maniac that would just say anything. I guess he may still be but he has certainly seemed to calm down a bit. I agree he does seem to actual care about the people he represents. I’ve heard this from people I work with that live in or have relatives that live in his district.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
If Stokes is corrupt I would think it's for pennies compared to the higher ups. He gives a damn about his voters but his standards just aren't very high.
I've lived in Jxn since 1995. I can't remember the year, but one of the local HS bands was invited to play in the festivities for a bowl game. They didn't have transportaiton, so Kenny, without any approval/authorization, charted buses on behalf of the city. Since he didn't get any type of approval, the city council refused to pay the bill ($10k, i think). I don't think ole Kenny ever paid the bus company.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Stokes is a GD moron. Might be an honest one and might be a crook, but he is a GD moron.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login