OT: Jackson Zoo

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Obviously, feel free to ignore this. You know where it's going.

I never cease to be amazed at the utter incompetence that is the Jackson MS government, mainly the mayor. He fought to keep this zoo, that now costs something like 16 times what it takes in, open last year.

This is just the latest example of utter incompetence...

For a bit of context. They kicked out the nonprofit that ran the zoo in 2019. The attendance in 2017 was 101,000. It is 8,300 thru July this year.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I read the article the other day. I think in total they've turned away around $25k in revenue because they didn't have a way to take electronic payments. It's 2024 and they're still operating strictly on the cash system. 🤦‍♂️

If anyone suggests moving the zoo by the Children's Museum and Natural Science Museum, you're called a racist. Meanwhile, I can't imagine the condition of some of these animals or the living conditions they are in. Jackson is gonna Jackson I guess.

Last edited:

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
I read the article the other day. I think in total they've turned away is around $25k in revenue because they didn't have a way to take electronic payments. It's 2024 and they're still operating strictly on the cash system. 🤦‍♂️

If anyone suggests moving the zoo by the Children's Museum and Natural Science Museum, you're called a racist. Meanwhile, I can't imagine the condition of some of these animals or the living conditions they are in. Jackson is gonna Jackson I guess.
What was intentionally left out of the article is that this illustrious mayor has been the mayor for 7 years. And the zoo was taken over by the city around two years ago. Exactly whose fault is it that the zoo is not equipped to accept electronic payments?

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

I never cease to be amazed at the utter incompetence that is the Jackson MS government, mainly the mayor. He fought to keep this zoo, that now costs something like 16 times what it takes in, open last year.

For a bit of context. They kicked out the nonprofit that ran the zoo in 2019. The attendance in 2017 was 101,000. It is 8,300 thru July this year.
The mayor being unwilling to consider other places for the zoo pretty much guarantees that he will soon have 100% of nothing. That area of town is very sketchy. Statistically, you probably aren't going to die from a random bullet going/coming, however, statistically if it were going to happen that's probably the most likely setting...

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
What was intentionally left out of the article is that this illustrious mayor has been the mayor for 7 years. And the zoo was taken over by the city around two years ago. Exactly whose fault is it that the zoo is not equipped to accept electronic payments?
It is so difficult to figure out how to accept electronic payments these days.***

Reactions: Anon1697564126

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
You'll have to forgive the mayor as he was too busy hiring convicted felons to run the Parks and Rec Department. Those pesky electronic payment options just fell through the cracks

The current Parks and Rec guy was hired in January and when asked his top priority for the zoo, he said more advertising. Yep, that's what it needs, more advertising to bring more people in only to learn they can't use a debit/credit card when they arrive. . Brilliant.

Last edited:

MedDawg

Apr 24, 2009
Weird. Just regular people selling crafts can take electronic payments with a small thing that plugs into their phones.

MedDawg

Apr 24, 2009
The mayor being unwilling to consider other places for the zoo pretty much guarantees that he will soon have 100% of nothing. That area of town is very sketchy. Statistically, you probably aren't going to die from a random bullet going/coming, however, statistically if it were going to happen that's probably the most likely setting...
Getting there, walking in the parking lot, and leaving there are all riskier than most would like.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
This is the reason why I feel like the ones responsible for the take would never pursue electronic payment.
Things That Make You Go Hmmm... - Imgflip

Oct 17, 2023

When my son was young, we used to go all the time. The last time we went, about 2012, we heard 6 gun shots. We looked in the news for several days and never heard or saw it mentioned.
And his wonderful****** father was the mayor before him.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

To add some context, it wasn't just keeping to fight the zoo. It was keeping it from moving it to the "wrong" area. He might would have been ok if it was just being shut down. Also, I think the non-profit supported trying to move, which means they were clearly racist and had to go. Some people from Jackson can correct me if I'm misremembering that.

Also, the attendance drop from 101,000 to 8,300 makes you wonder just how much cash they have skimmed off the top. Let's say half the decrease is actually the drop in attendance and half is pocketing money. That's $231,750 a year if everybody is paying the $5 kids rate.

If 75% of the drop is actually a drop in attendance, that's still $115k a year.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
By my calculation, the city saved $750 by turning down that $25k in business. Boom. It's just smart business fellas.
They are making money moves. If the 3% is a problem, you, like, price higher. The negative impact not taking credit cards has on the demand curve for a business like a zoo or a restaurant or other similar services kills any money saved on fees.

Reactions: Bhamdawg1725

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008

Nobody goes there anymore.... This is just sad, Spent many a day there and Lake Livingston, when I was a kid.
And, I suspect moving a zoo, (infrastructure would be cost prohibitive in Jackson).
It is what it is.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
The odds of catching a stray in that area around the zoo isn't worth the risk and nobody should carry cash there.
First thing I thought when I read that article is that you couldn’t think of a more perfect way to announce to that neighborhood anyone going to the zoo has cash. Not exactly the neighborhood I want to visit where the locals know I’m carrying cash.

Not related to the zoo, I heard a rumor that whatever the hinds county DA is being investigated for that the mayor is also involved. No idea if it’s true or not but certainly wouldn’t shock me.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Actually Babychuck is playing chess when everybody else is playing checkers. Don't want to pay for LE? Don't and the state will take it over and not only run it, but pay for it with our tax dollars. Don't want to pay to refurbish an aging water/sewer system? Don't and the state and fed will take it over and run it. The state has also funded paving projects in the COJ. Babychuck paying everyone like a fool and will win reelection in a landslide.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Actually Babychuck is playing chess when everybody else is playing checkers. Don't want to pay for LE? Don't and the state will take it over and not only run it, but pay for it with our tax dollars. Don't want to pay to refurbish an aging water/sewer system? Don't and the state and fed will take it over and run it. The state has also funded paving projects in the COJ. Babychuck paying everyone like a fool and will win reelection in a landslide.
Then they will get exactly what they deserve.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
A landslide compliments of less than 20,000 total votes in a city with a voting age population exceeding 100,000. Seriously, 20% turnout. It’s truly pathetic.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I thought the Jackson Zoo went the way of the Collins Zoo. I didn't even realize the thing was still open.
I remember going to it 35 years ago or so and thinking there is no way this thing will be open much longer. Ha

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
A landslide compliments of less than 20,000 total votes in a city with a voting age population exceeding 100,000. Seriously, 20% turnout. It’s truly pathetic.
I read an article in Bloomberg that turnouts for mayoral elections is anywhere from 15 to 20% on average.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I've said it before. If Mississippi Today wants to do something very good for the City of Jackson, put Anna Wolfe on assignment to run down all the corruption Chockwe is associated with. I think it might be shocking to even those of us who already have zero faith in him.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login