OT: Job Report.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I would be curious to know what his salary range is. I get the sense that people are not going into these types of jobs because the pay has not kept up with today's cost of living. Could be wrong, but that's my guess.

I would also be interested to know what the salary range for new hires is.
If they can't fill positions, maybe they aren't offering enough pay and/or maybe they aren't clearly highlighting their total compensation package.
Well here you go.
Looks like just shy of 43 an hour.

And here are the benefits.

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020
Last week I had a woman quit a job in a state that is between MS and KY. Had been with us a couple of years and overall did a good job hitting the clock from 7-4 making $24/hr.

On her termination paper (voluntary document for those leaving the company) she wrote: Applied for government housing but I make too much money here.
Would you say Her wages have not kept up with housing inflation or she preferred government housing. Obviously she very astute about government subsidies.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I have a son that is a 2022 graduate in business administration from Mississippi State. He has had a difficult time finding a job using his degree. He is currently working a job that he could’ve gotten out of high school without a degree while he continues to look for something better.
I was in same situation in 1990. It took a couple years of work experience to find something better.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
My wife works at Oxford in Healthcare . She has a couple of openings for $40-$50K year job with full benefits that only requires a high school diploma. Training is on job training and eventually could turn into a higher paying position. Day shift no Holidays…. They have had two applicants, neither showed up for interview.
$40k-$50k is a good second household income but it would be a stretch to support a family on it.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Not what I am seeing. We successfully convinced most of a generation or two that electrician and plumber is somehow a low status job and less respectable than pretty much any office job other than receptionist. So a lot of potential electricians and plumbers did other things, and we have a shortage. Pay has gone up, but as far as I can tell it's enticing older people to work longer, not really getting young people into training. But maybe they are getting trained now and we will see a bigger supply in the next year or two.
I have a couple of close friends who have recent high school grad kids. One is an electrician now and the other is a plumber. When I asked them what they were doing now, not knowing if it was college or what, I was intentional in praising their decision to go into trades. I hope we see more of it and less useless college debt...

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
It would not be crazy to see somebody losing benefits with an implicit marginal tax rate into the 90's. I haven't seen the data for a long time, so it may not be this way now, but it used to be that a fairly standard situation (like an earner in a family of four with two earners) could see an implicit marginal tax rate of over 90% as they increased their salary by $20k. So going from something like $45k to $65k, which would presumably require some hard work and potentially over several years to increase your pay that much, basically barely moves the needle. Of course people get frustrated and decide that they're better off working less hard or probably more likely with a less stressful position and/or less hours and have basically the same amount after taxes and transfers.

ETA: Not the data I remember, but shows pretty high implicit marginal tax rates:

Good stuff. In the case that I was thinking of when I posted, the person used social services case workers to help find fully subsidized housing when they had a very low paying parking garage gig. As they continued to improve their job/pay, their subsidies began to shrink and they got discouraged because there was a year or two in there that going backwards would have improved their overall cash flow, but they hung in there, now have a decent place, a truck, etc. It's understanding about how to push through the time period where it is painful and know that there is another side, usually.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
The same for Jackson.
The same for Mississippi. Over half the state is government subsidized and is still a day late and a dollar short******

Another reason Mississippi should be a blue state and vote Democrat: Big taxes and big government******

(Now, sir, you may lock this damn thing up)

Field of Dreams 30 day movie challenge GIF

Reactions: ChE1997
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login