OT: Long-Time Madison Residents. Stan’s Pizza

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
Stan’s Pizza on Hwy 51. What happened to it? That was damn good pizza.

Tall Dawg

Apr 11, 2016
I’m a commercial real estate broker and I actually leased him that spot on hwy 51.
He was a nice guy and it must have been poor management as his pizza was great.

Also, when I met him at his office to get lease signed, he had certificates framed of all the “300” games he had bowled! It’s been well over a decade but if memory serves me well he bowled 3-4 perfect games!

Nugdawg

Mar 3, 2008
Stan’s was a take out only pizza place in the building that is now Dominos on hwy 51. It developed a good following and they decided to open a dine in location and moved up the street to the area in front of Kroger. I’m not sure why they went out of business but they weren’t there long.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I had a few friends work for him back in the day.

He got bad off on drugs if my memory serves me correctly.
I don’t know if the restaurant industry drives people to drugs or if it just attracts people that are into drugs but there’s no other industry I can think of where I’m not surprised when I find out the owner has a drug problem.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
I'm 50. Lived here my entire life. Never heard of Stan's Pizza.
Never noticed the giant yellow smiley face on the wall in the building on the east side of Highway 51 by save hardware?

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
I don’t know if the restaurant industry drives people to drugs or if it just attracts people that are into drugs but there’s no other industry I can think of where I’m not surprised when I find out the owner has a drug problem.
Hollywood...

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
He got bad off on drugs if my memory serves me correctly.
pizza GIF

patdog

May 28, 2007
Never noticed the giant yellow smiley face on the wall in the building on the east side of Highway 51 by save hardware?
That was Stan's? I do remember it being something local before it was Dominos. The name Stan's still doesn't ring a bell though. That was some good pizza.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
leaving a nasty Yelp review, I have been waiting for my signature pizza for 30 years

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Stan’s was a take out only pizza place in the building that is now Dominos on hwy 51. It developed a good following and they decided to open a dine in location and moved up the street to the area in front of Kroger. I’m not sure why they went out of business but they weren’t there long.
Dine in pizza is a fools errand. Take out is considerably cheaper and easier to operate than dine in... And nothing is better for takeout than pizza. Domino's, Papa John's, Little Caesars have destroyed Pizza Hut over the last 20 years.

Reactions: biodawg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
What's the best pizza in the metro? Flowood Soulshine is my go to, just for atmosphere and convince. Lost in Flowood is good too, just not much of a vibe. Tried the new ACME Pizza in Flowood, it's mid. I hear Railroad Pizza in Flora is good. Pizza Shack and Sal and Mookies are both good. What else you got? I like coal fired, New York style.

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
What's the best pizza in the metro? Flowood Soulshine is my go to, just for atmosphere and convince. Lost in Flowood is good too, just not much of a vibe. Tried the new ACME Pizza in Flowood, it's mid. I hear Railroad Pizza in Flora is good. Pizza Shack and Sal and Mookies are both good. What else you got? I like coal fired, New York style.
The Bank in Clinton and The Cleaners in Brandon. Same umbrella organization (I believe it’s Pizza Shack?). Brandon spot has a wall of beer, Clinton joint just tap selection. Both have same/similar options. Both located in old town spots of each city. Far and above my two favorite spots.

Reactions: Anon1697564126
Oct 17, 2023
The Bank in Clinton and The Cleaners in Brandon. Same umbrella organization (I believe it’s Pizza Shack?). Brandon spot has a wall of beer, Clinton joint just tap selection. Both have same/similar options. Both located in old town spots of each city. Far and above my two favorite spots.
The cleaner's is great. I live about 3 minutes from it. But damn, its expensive for pizza. 2 large loaded pizzas with everything is about $70 after tax. Maybe it's just my old tightwad butt, but i have a hard time paying that much for pizza.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
We've been to the Cleaners a couple of times, really enjoy the beer wall. Weird layout, but it's a neat place.

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
Sal and Mookie’s is our “go to”, but we prefer the NY style pizza. Pizza shack is really good too, if you’re more of a thick crust person. I haven’t been to Soulshine in years, but there is one down by the interstate in Gluckstadt, so we may have to give it a try again.

Eta: we’ve been to railroad once. Pizza was pretty good. The wedge salad was EXCELLENT.

patdog

May 28, 2007
For a personal lunch pizza, Newks is sneaky good. Lost Pizza. Sal & Mookies.

Reactions: trob115
Jul 10, 2009
When we drove up from the Coast to visit the inlaws in Jackson, My Father-in-law always wanted to pick us up some Stan's Pizza. He never knew why it closed. It was good stuff.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Sal and Mookie’s is our “go to”, but we prefer the NY style pizza. Pizza shack is really good too, if you’re more of a thick crust person. I haven’t been to Soulshine in years, but there is one down by the interstate in Gluckstadt, so we may have to give it a try again.

Eta: we’ve been to railroad once. Pizza was pretty good. The wedge salad was EXCELLENT.
I don’t get a Wedge Salad. If I wanted DIY food I’d eat at home.

Reactions: biodawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login