OT: Looks like there will be a new U.S. Rep in 3rd Congressional District

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Dawg

Sep 6, 2012
I'm a political science grad who follows politics (usually) quite closely. I live in the 3rd and gotta admit I had no idea that Michael Guest was getting a real challenge. Can someone who knows more about what's happening in this race give me the details on how Cassidy (never heard of him) is about to topple a sitting (and to my knowledge scandal-free) congressman?

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
I'm a political science grad who follows politics (usually) quite closely. I live in the 3rd and gotta admit I had no idea that Michael Guest was getting a real challenge. Can someone who knows more about what's happening in this race give me the details on how Cassidy (never heard of him) is about to topple a sitting (and to my knowledge scandal-free) congressman?

I voted for Guest in the past. Heard him on the morning political radio shows multiple times. I didn’t care for the way he continually talked and never actually answered the questions that were asked. Honestly, he never shut up. He also voted for some issues that I’m against. I changed my vote this time.

Last edited:

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
That's the bottom line. Cassidy sounded pretty good in the sound bites I heard but that doesn't always translate to actual performance. Time will tell....

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Guest has a record to run on. It isn't conservative at all. That's what is probably going to get him beaten. If you run as a conservative, you damn well better vote like one, if you're in the 3rd district. Or the voters will give someone else a shot. It looks like that's what's going to happen tonight. Cassidy is up by about a thousand votes, with 80% reporting. WLBT ran a story and has it on their website saying Guest had won. Really on the ball, there, with their reporting

natchezdawg

Oct 4, 2009
This excerpt from his Ballotpedia page....

is about all you need to know..."America First"..."Stop the Steal"...."Build that Wall"

• We must elect America First Republicans to Washington D.C. and get rid of RINOs like Michael Guest who voted for the January 6th committee to politically attack President Trump
  • We must ensure the integrity of our elections in 2022, 2024, and beyond, and fully investigate the 2020 election and ensure full accountability. Mr. Guest has backed zero initiatives on election integrity, we need someone different who will work for this
  • We must finish the wall, send troops to the southern border, and deport everyone who is in this country illegally. Mr. Guest is pro-amnesty and wants to increase the number of foreign workers in our country (the top source of illegal immigration is visa overstays).

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Club For Growth came in a week ago and dropped nearly 300 grand in ads for Cassidy. This wasn’t a race a week ago.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
This post appears to be premature. At least it does at 9:50 pm on 6/7/22. The vote count is ongoing in counties where Guest has some strength.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Cassidy called his voting record into question through radio ads. There was no response, and the silence was deafening.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
If Guest wins, I hope he gets the message that people are paying attention to how he votes.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
Not sure what the best place for results is, but clarion ledger and wtva both have Guest with a big lead, 51%-43% or so, with either 77% or 83% reporting. I assume if he’s above 50 percent he will avoid a runoff?

I’m embarrassed to admit I had no idea voting was happening today. I haven’t seen an ad for either candidate.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Not sure what the best place for results is, but clarion ledger and wtva both have Guest with a big lead, 51%-43% or so, with either 77% or 83% reporting. I assume if he’s above 50 percent he will avoid a runoff?

I’m embarrassed to admit I had no idea voting was happening today. I haven’t seen an ad for either candidate.

WAPT website has a pretty good page on it. you can refresh and see the counties reporting. Guest up by 3,000 now. Like MR DAWGS said, if he does pull it out and win, I hope he gets the message that people are watching his votes. I don't personally have anything against him, other than his votes throughout his two terms have been disappointing and in direct contradiction to what he ran on the first time.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018

I think that was in the incumbent’s playbook

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
He and Whicker both suck. Palazzo will be in a runoff as well. Incumbents "should" get voted out or get the message, this round with all the **** going on. Government is a mess.

Last edited:

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Kinda looks like people want Palazzo gone, just didn’t know who to replace him with.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
It's looking like a runoff. He's trailing again now. Smith Co votes are about all that's left and Guest won't get much there.

A shocker to me they Cassidy got so many votes in rankin. 54% to 43% Guest in rankin. 99% now reported in Guest's main vote pool of rankin. Lauderdale still only has 80% reported. With Cassidy having a 2000 vote lead there. Looking very much like a runofff. Guest will take the runoff. Hard to get good turnout for a runoff.

CoolDawg

Oct 20, 2013
The Republican establishment in MS will get behind Guest in the runoff much like they did Sad Thad a few years ago. However, the major source of discontentment with Guest seems to be his vote to establish the January 6 Congressional Committee. Since those hearings start this week, that will be a reminder right before the runoff that Guest voted to form the committee. It will be real interesting to see if the establishment in MS will be able to pull Guest across the finish line.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
The Republican establishment in MS will get behind Guest in the runoff much like they did Sad Thad a few years ago. However, the major source of discontentment with Guest seems to be his vote to establish the January 6 Congressional Committee. Since those hearings start this week, that will be a reminder right before the runoff that Guest voted to form the committee. It will be real interesting to see if the establishment in MS will be able to pull Guest across the finish line.

And by establishment, you mean Sir Haley of the Barbour clan

CoolDawg

Oct 20, 2013
And by establishment, you mean Sir Haley of the Barbour clan

All of the establishment will pounce on Cassidy and try to squash him like a bug: Tate Reeves, Roger Wicker, Cindy Hyde Smith, Haley Barbour, Delbert Hosemann, Phillip Gunn and Greg Harper. I don't live in the district, but it would be nice to see the establishment take one on the chin.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
All of the establishment will pounce on Cassidy and try to squash him like a bug: Tate Reeves, Roger Wicker, Cindy Hyde Smith, Haley Barbour, Delbert Hosemann, Phillip Gunn and Greg Harper. I don't live in the district, but it would be nice to see the establishment take one on the chin.

The only name on that list you needed to say was Haley Barbour. He is responsible for getting each one of the others you named elected. He still runs this state with an iron fist and calls all of the shots. The sooner he is out of Mississippi state politics, the better.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
A too old Thad was still a better option than Chris McDaniel. Heck a garden gnome probably was a better option.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
I certainly won't be turning out in 3 weeks to bail out Guest like I did for Thad 8 years ago. I doubt many other Democrats will either. He may be toast.

It's pretty crazy to me that Michael Guest isn't conservative enough for the District 3 electorate, because I can assure you that he has an approval rating around 0% among Dems and liberals.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
Wait why wouldn’t democrats vote to keep Guest if he’s one of the only house republicans to have voted for the Jan 6 committee? (All I know about him I’ve learned from this thread, so if that’s off base, then OK)

If this other guy is running to Guest’s right because Guest isn’t MAGA-ey enough for the MAGA club, that sounds like just the guy democrats would crossover vote for.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Wait why wouldn’t democrats vote to keep Guest if he’s one of the only house republicans to have voted for the Jan 6 committee? (All I know about him I’ve learned from this thread, so if that’s off base, then OK)

If this other guy is running to Guest’s right because Guest isn’t MAGA-ey enough for the MAGA club, that sounds like just the guy democrats would crossover vote for.

https://mississippitoday.org/2021/05/21/michael-guest-bennie-thompson-jan-6-commission/

He was one of 35 Republicans who voted for an independent Committee, but that commission got filibustered away by the Senate. The Jan. 6 committee that actually exists was created later by the House alone, and that one only got 2 Republican votes (neither of which was Guest).

I just don't see why that single vote is enough for the Republican electorate to abandon an ultra-MAGA congressman, or why it would sway any Democrats to suddenly flock behind him. I doubt Cassidy would be any worse of a Congressman (from my perspective) than Guest anyway. Either of them will say whatever they think it takes to win, and be a reliable vote for the Republican agenda.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I voted for Cassidy. Guest pissed me off when he gave his football tickets to some LSU fans. I was sitting in the more expensive season tickets so I would not have to listen to opponent's fans. I be damn there wasn't four of them sitting in his seats behind me. It just pissed me off.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Club For Growth came in a week ago and dropped nearly 300 grand in ads for Cassidy. This wasn’t a race a week ago.

I kind of wonder did the new Top Gun movie have anything to do with it. The only Cassidy commercial I saw was him standing by a fighter plane talking about his service. You never know.

CoastTrash

Aug 22, 2012
I really don’t understand the aversion to the Jan 6th commission. Should we not have an INDEPENDENT commission study how and why that event occurred?

Note: despite Guest supporting the INDEPENDENT commission, it didn’t pass and the only study of the event is being done by the House committee, which was established without Guest’s support. #Nuance

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

Is that what people are pissed at him about because he voted to form a committee to investigate people storming the US Capitol?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I really don’t understand the aversion to the Jan 6th commission. Should we not have an INDEPENDENT commission study how and why that event occurred?

Note: despite Guest supporting the INDEPENDENT commission, it didn’t pass and the only study of the event is being done by the House committee, which was established without Guest’s support. #Nuance

It's the way the committee was selected that was thorn in the big toe.

cristilmethod

Aug 24, 2012
I voted for Cassidy. Guest pissed me off when he gave his football tickets to some LSU fans. I was sitting in the more expensive season tickets so I would not have to listen to opponent's fans. I be damn there wasn't four of them sitting in his seats behind me. It just pissed me off.

I despise most politics but I can support a vote like this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login