OT: Looks like there will be a new U.S. Rep in 3rd Congressional District

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Can you explain the way it was selected that caused the issue?

The Republican and Democratic leaders usually gets to pick who they want on the committee. Nancy rejected everyone he selected and put two anti trump Republican's on it. Democrat's have the majority and makes the rules but tradition was broken in this case.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I really don’t understand the aversion to the Jan 6th commission. Should we not have an INDEPENDENT commission study how and why that event occurred?

Note: despite Guest supporting the INDEPENDENT commission, it didn’t pass and the only study of the event is being done by the House committee, which was established without Guest’s support. #Nuance

I don’t think there is a process capable of creating an independent commission in Washington unfortunately. But also, why does the government need to study that? How it occurred would be interesting, but the government doesn’t need to study that.

The only things you may need an independent commission to look into are why they had security failures; Maybe also how some of the protesters that were killed and whether there was excessive violence by LEOs; Maybe make sure the BS fire extinguisher story wasn’t planted by government sources. Maybe make sure govt informants plants weren’t instigating. None of that was on the table to vote to investigate.

Otherwise you don’t need an independent government investigation to know there was a crowd that consisted of people exercising bad judgment, with a smal number being violent or destructive, a good number mistakenly believing that LEOs not objecting to them entering capitol property meant they were allowed to enter, and a much larger crowd that protested outside. It’s not rocket surgery.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
I don’t think there is a process capable of creating an independent commission in Washington unfortunately. But also, why does the government need to study that? How it occurred would be interesting, but the government doesn’t need to study that.

The only things you may need an independent commission to look into are why they had security failures; Maybe also how some of the protesters that were killed and whether there was excessive violence by LEOs; Maybe make sure the BS fire extinguisher story wasn’t planted by government sources. Maybe make sure govt informants plants weren’t instigating. None of that was on the table to vote to investigate.

Otherwise you don’t need an independent government investigation to know there was a crowd that consisted of people exercising bad judgment, with a smal number being violent or destructive, a good number mistakenly believing that LEOs not objecting to them entering capitol property meant they were allowed to enter, and a much larger crowd that protested outside. It’s not rocket surgery.

^insurrection supporter

patdog

May 28, 2007
Agree. But the last few years of Thad's career was Weekend at Bernie's in Washington. It was sad. And because he ran that last time, we got stuck with Cindy Hyde Smith for the next 20 years or so.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
The Republican and Democratic leaders usually gets to pick who they want on the committee. Nancy rejected everyone he selected and put two anti trump Republican's on it. Democrat's have the majority and makes the rules but tradition was broken in this case.

That's not exactly correct. Pelosi rejected 2 of McCarthy's 5 picks because they explicitly supported overturning the election judicially and declaring Trump the winner by decree (as opposed to recounting again under different standards or whatever), but allowed the other 3 and told him to pick 2 replacements. McCarthy then rescinded all of his nominations, including the 3 she allowed.

There is also no precedent or tradition for a situation like this, but Republicans could have had an independent and then a fully bipartisan commission, but chose not to have either.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
There will be a runoff, and Guest will likely win. But there is a certainty a large faction trying to vote out anyone who isn’t an MTG/Boebert/Gaetz type.

Idiocracy has come to life. If one side or the other would stop trying to out-crazy the other they could clean up.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
That's not exactly correct. Pelosi rejected 2 of McCarthy's 5 picks because they explicitly supported overturning the election judicially and declaring Trump the winner by decree (as opposed to recounting again under different standards or whatever), but allowed the other 3 and told him to pick 2 replacements. McCarthy then rescinded all of his nominations, including the 3 she allowed.

There is also no precedent or tradition for a situation like this, but Republicans could have had an independent and then a fully bipartisan commission, but chose not to have either.

Tradition was broken. Regardless if it was or not Republicans will take control next year and I am pretty sure they will follow the same model and there will be a lot of committees created.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Now I’m wondering if DS has ever given or sold his tickets to Stallion. **

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
^^^ This. Jesus Christ, in what 17n bizarro world is Michael Guest too “liberal?” Let me off of this 17n crazy train bound for hell.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Tradition was broken.

I disagree. Either way though, tradition went out the window when a sitting president refused to accept his defeat and starting trying to overturn the results to stay in power. Thank God our institutions were strong enough to prevent such a coup, even as 90%+ of his party cheered him on.

Dawgtruc

Sep 8, 2018
I really don’t understand the aversion to the Jan 6th commission. Should we not have an INDEPENDENT commission study how and why that event occurred?

Note: despite Guest supporting the INDEPENDENT commission, it didn’t pass and the only study of the event is being done by the House committee, which was established without Guest’s support. #Nuance

It's not, and will not be "independent". There's nothing on the committee but trump haters.

I'm all for giving up ALL information on that day, including the madam speaker's communications and the fact that she and the DC mayor denied requests for extra security/national guard.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
It's not, and will not be "independent". There's nothing on the committee but trump haters.

Personally, I think it's pretty silly for Republicans to explicitly refuse to fill their seats on the committee, including withdrawing 3 Trump supporters that Pelosi approved, and then complain about how there aren't any Trump supporters on there. There could have been.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Personally, I think it's pretty silly for Republicans to explicitly refuse to fill their seats on the committee, including withdrawing 3 Trump supporters that Pelosi approved, and then complain about how there aren't any Trump supporters on there. There could have been.

It's almost as though they simply are not serious people.

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
Wait a minute, you mean an elderly, confused politician who doesn't always know where he is or what he's saying, was being hidden and/or propped up by his team in order to maintain power? You don't say.**

Aug 22, 2012
There will be a runoff, and Guest will likely win. But there is a certainty a large faction trying to vote out anyone who isn’t an MTG/Boebert/Gaetz type.

Idiocracy has come to life. If one side or the other would stop trying to out-crazy the other they could clean up.

You know this comment reminds me of Ole Miss fans whenever we get on a roll in the Egg Bowl. All of a sudden there are calls for decency and the rivalry has become too toxic. I notice none of that is going on now that they've won two straight. Apparently the rivalry isn't toxic anymore.

In politics it's always the right that needs to compromise. When was the last time you heard a leftist say, you know I think there could be some reasonable limits on abortion? Gun control is "common sense." Abortion limits are an "assault on women's healthcare."

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
^^^ This. Jesus Christ, in what 17n bizarro world is Michael Guest too “liberal?” Let me off of this 17n crazy train bound for hell.

I disagree. Either way though, tradition went out the window when a sitting president refused to accept his defeat and starting trying to overturn the results to stay in power. Thank God our institutions were strong enough to prevent such a coup.

Yeah, Guest is not too Liberal. And yes, trying to disenfranchise 2 states of voters, PA and AZ was unprecedented and thank God the people leading the charge were/are idiots.

CoastTrash

Aug 22, 2012

I'm all for giving up ALL information on that day, including the madam speaker's communications and the fact that she and the DC mayor denied requests for extra security/national guard.

You're conflating the committee that actually exists (by Speaker's designation) and includes Kinzinger/Cheney (presumably the Trump haters you reference) with the proposed independent commission styled like the 9/11 commission, which Guest supported but failed in the Senate.

We wouldn't have the current House committee if the proposed independent commission was established.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
You know this comment reminds me of Ole Miss fans whenever we get on a roll in the Egg Bowl. All of a sudden there are calls for decency and the rivalry has become too toxic. I notice none of that is going on now that they've won two straight. Apparently the rivalry isn't toxic anymore.

In politics it's always the right that needs to compromise. When was the last time you heard a leftist say, you know I think there could be some reasonable limits on abortion? Gun control is "common sense." Abortion limits are an "assault on women's healthcare."

People on the left constantly make the opposite complaint, that it's liberals who always have to compromise or lose. Case in point, we can't even get an agreement on background checks. Not a shred of gun control is ever going to pass on the federal level, and the Courts will throw out anything states try.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012

Probably because there were already reasonable limits on abortion. The current gun control is not common sense, there are tons of things that need to be added or expanded because the proof is in the pudding or shall I say stack of dead little kids. I don't have a uterus, so really I shouldn't be in the discussion. Too often men walk away from their daily responsibilities on kids, leaving the mother to suffer in her life's ambitions and goals. For the vast majority of mothers, having a child changes their lives way way way more than men's. So, therefore, I am cool with them having a clear zone of choice on whether to take that on for their lives. I thought 23 weeks was damn reasonable.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I disagree. Either way though, tradition went out the window when a sitting president refused to accept his defeat and starting trying to overturn the results to stay in power. Thank God our institutions were strong enough to prevent such a coup, even as 90%+ of his party cheered him on.

May I ask where you got the 90%+ figure ?

archdog

Aug 22, 2012

Also, you never hear of the left needing to compromise, because generally whenever they need to compromise, they do. It is the right blocking everything for 12 of the last 16 years that have totally ****** the system. Let the Senate vote on bills. The founding fathers never intended on a supermajority to pass any and all legislation. If you want to filabuster, then stand your old *** up and get up there talk. Otherwise, sit down, vote no, go on record, and let the voters see what you support or don't.

Just think about this for a second, republicans haven't had to vote on a single major legislation bill that they were going to lose since the Affordable Healthcare Act in like 2010.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
May I ask where you got the 90%+ figure ?

Well other than their actions since around Jan 10th...... seems like only 4-6 of them are actually seeing it correctly. There are 50 Senators and 210 house republicans or something like that. I can only count in my head 6 of them that have called January 6th and all the President's actions leading up to January 6th what it was and still is.... Sedition.

Dawgtruc

Sep 8, 2018

You might want to watch "2000 Mules"

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
And ninth month abortions( that 49 Dems voted for) like Schumer tried to ram through in May ARE common sense ????

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

I agree with you 100%. Unfortunately, it’s like that on both sides. You can only become a star in politics now by being as polarizing as possible. You can’t be a common sense guy and try to evaluate an issue by looking at both sides, you have to toe the party line or you are “too liberal” or “too conservative”

Dawgtruc

Sep 8, 2018
Oh. My. God.

I would think you guys would be happy.

There never will be another GOP president due to mass mail-in ballots and Zuckerberg's drop boxes.

If you don't think there was massive ballot-harvesting going on, I don't know what to tell you.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007

Who said anything about decency? I’m just talking about willful, belligerent stupidity.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
And ninth month abortions( that 49 Dems voted for) like Schumer tried to ram through in May ARE common sense ????

Everybody spins a little (or a lot) in politics, but this is an outright lie. The abortion bill that Democrats backed in Congress only legalized through viability, which is somewhere in the 5-6 months range.

CoastTrash

Aug 22, 2012
I would think you guys would be happy.

There never will be another GOP president due to mass mail-in ballots and Zuckerberg's drop boxes.

If you don't think there was massive ballot-harvesting going on, I don't know what to tell you.

The conservative ideology of freedom, personal responsibility, and free market capitalism can win without restrictive voting measures.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
The conservative ideology of freedom, personal responsibility, and free market capitalism can win without restrictive voting measures.
Making voting available to all by essentially doing nothing seems to add more laziness to the voting pool. I'm not saying it's not the right thing to do, but I think we all can agree that more people voted in the last election because it was easier to do. If that 'ease' was what truly prevented them from voting before (i.e. not having to drive to a polling location) then Lord help us. Not much ambition there.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
I agree with you 100%. Unfortunately, it’s like that on both sides. You can only become a star in politics now by being as polarizing as possible. You can’t be a common sense guy and try to evaluate an issue by looking at both sides, you have to toe the party line or you are “too liberal” or “too conservative”

The problem here is that "moderate" "common sense" has become its own ideology divorced from reality. We have to pretend that elected Republicans are arguing in good faith, that they want to pass a compromise and piss off their base. We have to pretend all we need on crime is more cops, more guns, more prisons. We must have false balance. That's "common sense", reality be damned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login