OT- Madison Vs Brandon / Followup

BlameTheDogs

Oct 18, 2019
Really appreciate everyone’s input on the initial thread. It meant a lot, because we don’t know many people in the areas to get opinions. Thank all of y’all.

We have decided to move to Madison. We are looking in Lake Caroline area. Not completely sold there, but that’s our top spot for now.

My question for this thread- I heard rumors of Madison not allowing bars, but only a bar within a restaurant- is that true? Also noticed there isn’t a bowling alley or arcade there.

bruiser.sixpack

Aug 13, 2009
Looks like your second choice, maybe your first choice should be in the Rankin County side of the Reservoir. You’ll be close to the bowling alley, Mudbugs 047, and just a short ride across the spillway to McB’s, Buffalo Wild Wings, and the bars on the Ridgeland side of the Reservoir.

Send me a message.

CountryHouse

Apr 22, 2022
If these things are important to you, 39047 is your landing spot. Tell your realtor you are only interested in the Northshore school zone. It has the most 39110 feel when it comes to housing stock with the benefit of things to do, like bowling and bars. We have bars and alcohol in the 39047 thanks to special zoning by the state. Northshore elementary is a top 5 school. We also have fiber internet access in lots of neighborhoods.

BlameTheDogs

Oct 18, 2019
These things are not important. I was just curiously asking the question about bars, along with notating what we noticed being in the area. We’ve made our decision of where we’re moving. My apologies for not being clear on the thread started.

grimedawg1

Aug 25, 2012
If you have chosen Madison, now you need to think about neighborhood or madison the city versus gluckstadt. Looks like you are leaning lake Caroline. Think about school. Generally, the Madison central district is better than the Germantown district. Germantown isn’t bad. But with you kids and wanting to stay for a while, you’ll want to look at trends. Search on here for a thread about this. I think there have been a couple. Also, I think some (maybe a small portion) of lake Caroline is zoned for canton schools. Just make sure the home is zoned for Germantown if you stick with lake Caroline.

SLUdog

May 28, 2007
Bars and bowling alleys....I'd prefer not to have either...so I guess I know where I'd move.

AlSwearengen

Aug 22, 2012
Madison wants to be an upper crust/nice city. They probably don’t want that **** in their city and they are smart for doing it. There is not enough population to support a really nice bar like you find in bigger cities and they have to cater to people that don’t know how to act in order to survive.

Some of the people in Bellevue tried to incorporate and model the city similar to Madison in an effort to ward off Hattiesburg, who is trying to swallow them up. I understand the negatives of incorporating, but the people that wouldn’t get on board will be the first to complain when things go to **** and there are tobacco stores and vape shops cluttering up their community.

A guy in hattiesburg tried to develop a nice bowling alley/arcade/food places several years ago. The lowlifes moved in and it was totally shutdown by the city b/c people were killing each other every weekend.

If you can afford it, move to Madison and join the fight against anything that rich snooty people might not like. They know how to keep things nice and preserve property value.

Last edited:

Realist.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
If you have chosen Madison, now you need to think about neighborhood or madison the city versus gluckstadt. Looks like you are leaning lake Caroline. Think about school. Generally, the Madison central district is better than the Germantown district. Germantown isn’t bad. But with you kids and wanting to stay for a while, you’ll want to look at trends. Search on here for a thread about this. I think there have been a couple. Also, I think some (maybe a small portion) of lake Caroline is zoned for canton schools. Just make sure the home is zoned for Germantown if you stick with lake Caroline.

Lake Caroline is zoned for Canton and Germantown - street by street is some areas. The Germantown zoned ones will have a small premium relative to the Canton-zoned ones. If that's important, check the boundaries; don't assume your realtor is always speaking the truth. Homes range from new to 20-year old (or older). The newer ones are being built very quickly, often with a take-it-or-leave-it/no negotiations approach. While the covenants are strict, the newer ones appear to use the lower portion of the covenant (e.g., using more hardee board versus all brick on the outside; carpet versus wood; or no fence thrown in, etc.). The older ones should always get a good inspection (with your inspector, not the realtor's).

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
At least as long as Mary is the mayor, I doubt you see bars or a bowling alley. There is an arcade in the movie theater in Madison (or at least there used to be). The movie theater also lobbied pretty hard to take out some movie screens and build a small bowling alley inside the theater. Mary shut that down.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

Also search Jackson Jambalaya for threads on Germantown. I have several buddies with kids at Germantown High, they believe the school has more than its fair share of Jxn and Canton kids.

Col. Forbin

Oct 2, 2012
We are at GHS and from what I have heard there was an area that should not have been in our district that was allowed this year. It will not be the case going forward. Also, after the first fight that involved a prominent football prospect there were numerous kids completely removed from the roll book. (If you get sent to alternative school you are still listed on the rolls just marked thru by the teacher.) I don’t think this has anything to do with any sort of “football recruiting” but more to do with lazy/laxed residency verification in the post Covid time.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Great choice. Two things:
1. Double, triple, quadruple check you're zoned for Germantown (even if you are going to home school/send kids to private).
2. Although traffic is not terrible, several roads servicing neighborhoods are still two lane causing backups during morning traffic.

Overall great choice. Germantown Middle/High has some issues they need to get on top, but I think they will get it straightened out.

Col. Forbin

Oct 2, 2012
I believe there is a plan for a bowling alley/kids birthday spot down distribution drive. As for bars there are none yet in Gluckstadt but I wouldn’t be surprised to see one or two watering holes pop up soon.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
We are at GHS and from what I have heard there was an area that should not have been in our district that was allowed this year. It will not be the case going forward. Also, after the first fight that involved a prominent football prospect there were numerous kids completely removed from the roll book. (If you get sent to alternative school you are still listed on the rolls just marked thru by the teacher.) I don’t think this has anything to do with any sort of “football recruiting” but more to do with lazy/laxed residency verification in the post Covid time.

Concur completely on this.

grimedawg1

Aug 25, 2012
I don’t really see how checking residency would be a problem on the school’s end because they are typically very strict on requiring appropriate documentation. Think the school was audited for violations like this fairly soon after the school opened, and the same people I think are there still checking residency today as back then. I could see folks claiming residency inappropriately, which in my mind is different. If someone brings the right utility bills or whatever is required for residency, the school can’t very well do much about it until they for some reason find out it’s not a legit residence.

All that to say is that I would check it out yourself before assuming Germantown is fine or trusting that the problems alluded to In those thread will just get fixed. I think GHS is ok, but it’s just not the same as Madison central having had experience with both.

Gluckstadt has recently incorporated, so that may help with some of the growth that’s happened. It might be more planned or coordinated now.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
A request to build a bowling alley was denied? Da17 sort of town can't have a bowling alley? They don't have to be dank, smoky, and have sticky carpet.
It is possible for bowling alleys to be clean, dry, and safe.

I would hope that anyone would pause at the idea of moving to a place where bowling alleys can't be safe.
Really hope that isn't the reason for the lack of a bowling alley in this instance.

grimedawg1

Aug 25, 2012
The reference to an area that shouldn’t have been allowed in, is that a reference to the big apartment complex just north of the school? I’ve heard that was zoned for canton but not sure.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
A request to build a bowling alley was denied? Da17 sort of town can't have a bowling alley? They don't have to be dank, smoky, and have sticky carpet.

I would hope that anyone would pause at the idea of moving to a place where bowling alleys can't be safe.
Really hope that isn't the reason for the lack of a bowling alley in this instance.

A guy in hattiesburg tried to develop a nice bowling alley/arcade/food places several years ago. The lowlifes moved in and it was totally shutdown by the city b/c people were killing each other every weekend.

Guess it's directly correlated to how many lowlifes you have around. Same with malls, etc.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Guess it's directly correlated to how many lowlifes you have around. Same with malls, etc.

Right. If a place can't have a bowling alley because even something like that will go downhill and become dangerous, then it seems logical to question if I would want to move there. Seems like most any social location would be ripe for chaos/danger if even a bowling alley isn't allowed.

On a related note, a few months ago my family went to 901 Bowl at Funquest in Collierville TN on a Sunday evening.
There were 0 lights in the parking lot, the building had no lit up sign, and the inside was both packed and less than impressive. It was fun and all, but I was surprised at how ****** it was for a Sunday evening in a not terrible town. We clearly picked wrong off Google.
If that is the sort of place that would be built in Madison, I can understand the resistance.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
If AlSwearengen is referring to Club Empire, I didn’t realize it had bowling alleys. But yeah it was bad.

Roper’s got closed up for similar reasons at about the same time too.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Glfr, What town do you live in ? I'm sure many here would like to know so we can compare our towns to the "perfect place to live".

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Ah, I've decoded the criteria ....

The nicest subdivision to keep the wife happy. Nice school district and arcades to send the kids. Bars to escape the entire family.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
It is zoned Canton, but when they opened they advertised “Near Germantown Schools” and unofficially told potential residents they were zoned to Germantown. Although the apartments are really close to GHS and GMS, they are Canton schools.

DreadNought.sixpack

Feb 15, 2013
I live in Lake Caroline and love it out here. I moved here about 2 years ago and bought a home on the lake the lake. I didn’t read your other thread so not sure what your situation is regarding work. If you have to commute every day to Jackson or an office it might be tough. Kids? Schools? I have a home office and don’t have to commute. The boating, golf and lake life are top notch. I can be in Madison in 15-20 minutes and we just get groceries when we have to make trips to town. Lots of good people in the neighborhood and my kids love to drop in. PM me if you have questions I can answer.

ETA- I’ve been in Madison 20 years and love it here. I always chuckle at people thinking people In Madison are snobs because they live here. Im sure it has the same ratio of jerks as any town but it isn’t like living in Madison makes you a member of the landed gentry. If you like good schools, low crime, good people, a clean city and great property values then you might like Madison.

Last edited:

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

I don’t really know all the details of the situation. I just know the theater wanted it and the city denied it. I have no idea if the city wanted certain hours or no alcohol and the theater wouldn’t agree. I’m sure the truth is something other than the city just straight up denied it. But maybe they did.

Madison is just fine. I live here and have no reservations about living here. I also have no problems with the city not wanting a bowling alley. Although, I do think if done right it would be just fine. But there are considerations in Madison that some towns might not have. Madison is only a few miles away from a Jackson that has been for several years experiencing bad crime. I don’t think Madison wants to give that crowd a reason to come to Madison and hang out. I’m not saying that would happen. The bowling alley by the Rez seems just fine. I take my kids there and we have fun without any worry of crime.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Glfr, What town do you live in ? I'm sure many here would like to know so we can compare our towns to the "perfect place to live".

It is unfortunate that you seem to think me saying I would hesitate to move to a town that can't even have a bowling alley due to crime concern is then me implying I reside in the perfect place to live.
I dont live in the perfect place and have not claimed so.

It sucks that a nice town wouldn't be able to have some simple entertainment due to safety concerns.

^ I am not claiming Madison is a bad place to live. Based on comments here thru the years it's a very nice place to live.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I'm asking you where you live...that's not a trick question.

It isnt a trick question, but when you phrase it the way you did, where you claim you want to know so you can compare your towns with 'the perfect place to live', it is a disingenuous question.

Good lord, its just surprising that a town would decline having a bowling alley so I commented on that. You may not like my analysis and I am comfortable with that.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
You jump in this thread to make a cynical statement about a Ms. town then won't tell us where you live yourself . Excuse my French but that seems kinda chicken **** to me.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I live in Lake Caroline and love it out here. I moved here about 2 years ago and bought a home on the lake the lake. I didn’t read your other thread so not sure what your situation is regarding work. If you have to commute every day to Jackson or an office it might be tough. Kids? Schools? I have a home office and don’t have to commute. The boating, golf and lake life are top notch. I can be in Madison in 15-20 minutes and we just get groceries when we have to make trips to town. Lots of good people in the neighborhood and my kids love to drop in. PM me if you have questions I can answer.

ETA- I’ve been in Madison 20 years and love it here. I always chuckle at people thinking people In Madison are snobs because they live here. Im sure it has the same ratio of jerks as any town but it isn’t like living in Madison makes you a member of the landed gentry. If you like good schools, low crime, good people, a clean city and great property values then you might like Madison.

Is the boating good on Lake Caroline? Only time I've been out there is was just covered up with boats and there couldn't have been 10% of the boats on lift in the water. And they were still selling off more water front lots and also were just about finished building a wet storage marina for people that don't live on the water. Certainly nice for cruising around in a pontoon boat, but there were people trying to ski and tube that were really putting a lot of faith in the other people running their boats around them because it was so crowded.

That was on a Saturday in the summer with nice weather, so maybe it's good on the afternoon after work or early in the morning or something, I was just surprised by how many boats there were.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I don’t really know all the details of the situation. I just know the theater wanted it and the city denied it. I have no idea if the city wanted certain hours or no alcohol and the theater wouldn’t agree. I’m sure the truth is something other than the city just straight up denied it. But maybe they did.

Madison is just fine. I live here and have no reservations about living here. I also have no problems with the city not wanting a bowling alley. Although, I do think if done right it would be just fine. But there are considerations in Madison that some towns might not have. Madison is only a few miles away from a Jackson that has been for several years experiencing bad crime. I don’t think Madison wants to give that crowd a reason to come to Madison and hang out. I’m not saying that would happen. The bowling alley by the Rez seems just fine. I take my kids there and we have fun without any worry of crime.

I really dislike Madison's approach to zoning and their successful attempt to basically zone out the poor (or at least prevent any new housing for lower income people). Lower income is not synonymous with low character, especially for younger families starting out, and it's tough to see a place in the poorest states in the nation basically say "no poors, please". (also, a 2500 sq ft minimum is just a ridiculous minimum and wasteful. I lived in a 2100 sq ft house for years that was more than we needed for a while and was still plenty big enough for a family of four; I think they could be more protective with less waste just by requiring alleys for new subdivisions and/or requiring garages that are big enough to park an F150 and mandate that people park in the garage). That said, I have trouble faulting them too much when you're staring at Jackson next door that has basically voted itself into a **** hole.

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
East G’stadt has a few redneck watering holes but I guess it’s technically Canton. Big Heads on the Rez formally Wendy’s Watering Hole on corner of 43 & Endris Rd. I’ve shot pool there. My running joke for years if we’re at a dinner or get together is “are we going to club 43 after this?”. Still never been. I like the lounge at 2 Rivers but that’s Canton.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login