OT: Markets........

revereno

Jun 17, 2014
Healthy breather.

Market has been overbought the last couple weeks by every metric. Market has also continued to underestimate* the Fed's willingness to tame inflation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3dawgnight

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
You have to deal with days like this. We will close out February up from today.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
How far will it go down before it turns. I hope it turns today is what I meant.
My bad. Unless you are 5-7 years from retirement, my theory is that a day makes no difference unless:

1) I have cash to push into a down market.

2) We face some existential threat that cannot be predicted and permanently disrupts/dismantles the market, in which case, tip of the hat to the survival seed guys!

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I interpret the market today as reacting to hotter-than-expected inflation numbers. Higher inflation numbers decrease the probability the Fed will lower interest rates in the near term. Yesterday, the market was predicting a 60/40 chance the Fed will lower rates in May. The first rate cut is now priced in for June.

Reactions: HOVER

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
My bad. Unless you are 5-7 years from retirement, my theory is that a day makes no difference unless:

1) I have cash to push into a down market.

2) We face some existential threat that cannot be predicted and permanently disrupts/dismantles the market, in which case, tip of the hat to the survival seed guys!
Exactly. Unless you have to sell equities in the near future and do no have cash or fixed income (CD, Bonds etc) to sell in down times, it is good for the consistent, long term investor.

I guess I have seen so many of these dips over the years and yet the markets end up eventually, it just doesn't bother me.

As long as I am buying (investing) instead of selling, it just looks like I am getting something on sale.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
The S&P was up 22% since the end of October without a single pullback. I would fully expect a retest of the January 22' highs around 4800 within the next few weeks. That would not only be normal, but necessary and only 5% off the high.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I'm sure it will turn around. I just wonder how long we could keep playing the spend game without any consequences. I know we have to spend on some things but good Lord. No skin off my nose because it'll be my grandchildren that pays it back, not me.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Exactly. Unless you have to sell equities in the near future and do no have cash or fixed income (CD, Bonds etc) to sell in down times, it is good for the consistent, long term investor.

I guess I have seen so many of these dips over the years and yet the markets end up eventually, it just doesn't bother me.

As long as I am buying (investing) instead of selling, it just looks like I am getting something on sale.
Try to explain that this also applies to bitcoin, and people will get angry with you, lol

To some, including this in your savings plan makes you a crazy, irresponsible person:
Screen Shot 2024-02-13 at 3.15.37 PM.png
A LOT of down days are included in those numbers.

Reactions: PBDog

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Question
I’m 6 months from retirement.
Should I still invest in company supported 401k plan?
Thanks in advance
Depends. You will have lower total income for this year, so may not owe income tax. Be sure to consider cashed out PTO as income. If you aren't going to owe income tax (NOT the same as a refund) in 2024, then it's better to put it in a Roth IRA.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
The S&P was up 22% since the end of October without a single pullback. I would fully expect a retest of the January 22' highs around 4800 within the next few weeks. That would not only be normal, but necessary and only 5% off the high.

That makes sense. I got out of a crappy managed fund around then with the intention of slowly putting back in sp500... I guess I should have dumped it all in immediately.
I also sold half my Intel at $38 a month later.
For a fee, I can post my market moves and you can do the opposite, that way we all win.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
bought that miner dip today. my powder was starting to stale. wth bought some solana too. but really dips don’t matter just buy
This is a helpful article that makes the case bitcoin, not crypto:

“Bitcoin is more likely to be a profitable investment than taking big risks in crypto. Successfully trading crypto (or any asset) is difficult to do—especially when insiders have access to information that you do not. Furthermore, data shows that as an investment’s time horizon is extended, bitcoin is a better investment option than crypto, the S&P500, gold, or U.S. treasuries.”

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021

“Bitcoin is more likely to be a profitable investment than taking big risks in crypto. Successfully trading crypto (or any asset) is difficult to do—especially when insiders have access to information that you do not. Furthermore, data shows that as an investment’s time horizon is extended, bitcoin is a better investment option than crypto, the S&P500, gold, or U.S. treasuries.”
i’m a btc believer. miners move about 5x to btc. the sol play is just fun. the btc returns have been so great why not play some for that lambo

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
I'm sure it will turn around. I just wonder how long we could keep playing the spend game without any consequences. I know we have to spend on some things but good Lord. No skin off my nose because it'll be my grandchildren that pays it back, not me.
We are the most selfish generation in the history of our country because of the debt we are loading on our children and grandchildren. It’s so very wrong and shameful.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Too many variables. For instance, my wife’s company plan only charges $25 per year in fees where my Edward Jones accounts charge 1.12%.
Charging over 1% is almost criminal in todays world. Fidelity charges me between zero percent and fractions of one.

Reactions: Boom Boom

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Too many variables. For instance, my wife’s company plan only charges $25 per year in fees where my Edward Jones accounts charge 1.12%.
Just curious if EJ is getting you better returns than a S & P index fund? Which was about 24% in 2023.

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022

How can you compare bitcoin to the S&P 500, gold, and US Treasuries on an extended time horizon? Bitcoin has been around about 10 years. Gold has been a unit of exchange for all of recorded history. Stocks and government debt have been traded for hundreds of years.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Just curious if EJ is getting you better returns than a S & P index fund? Which was about 24% in 2023.
You can't just look at a positive year like last year to answer that question. Add in 2022 and the S&P 500 had a whooping 0% return from January 22' to January 24'.

Active management and/or advisor run accounts should smooth out the lows and highs. They will usually come in close, but not always equal to the performance of risk equatable index funds. The difference being whether you value a relationship with a person who can talk you through your goals and concerns or the compound savings of .5-1% if you find an index fund comparable to your risk tolerance.

My guess would be if you have the stones to throw it all in an index fund and never look back you can't be beat. But many don't have those stones and try to time the market and sell out when it's low (fear) and buy when it's high (greed).

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
It can’t go up forever. Everything has a correction at some point.

You should try to tie your whole livelihood to the corn rice and soybean markets and see how that goes. It hasn’t been a pleasant few months.
I just checked a corn ETF. Sucks to be involved in one of a handful of businesses that's in deflationary mode.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20240214_075231_Brave.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240214_075231_Brave.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 4

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
My guess would be if you have the stones to throw it all in an index fund and never look back you can't be beat. But many don't have those stones and try to time the market and sell out when it's low (fear) and buy when it's high (greed).
That's exactly what I do. When i sense trouble, I jump to cash, them move back when my fears subside. No judgement on what anyone does. The few folks I know who use paid advisors have returns less than mine over the years.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I interpret the market today as reacting to hotter-than-expected inflation numbers. Higher inflation numbers decrease the probability the Fed will lower interest rates in the near term. Yesterday, the market was predicting a 60/40 chance the Fed will lower rates in May. The first rate cut is now priced in for June.
This is most likely the answer. Uncertainty because inflation surprised the market. 2022 CPI 6.5%, /2023 CPI 3.4% January /2024 CPI 0.3%

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
That's exactly what I do. When i sense trouble, I jump to cash, them move back when my fears subside. No judgement on what anyone does. The few folks I know who use paid advisors have returns less than mine over the years.
To answer your original question, no he didn’t earn 24% last year, but I didn’t expect to. Being retired I’m invested very conservatively I have a “Play “ brokerage account that I manage and has about 15% of my total worth invested, it made 48% last year. . I lost my *** in 21-22. My EJ account didn’t. I’m just not confident enough to gamble my entire net worth on my hunches, I’d rather pay a professional. I know just enough about investing to get me in trouble.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login