OT: Mattresses

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
It's been a few years since I've bought a new mattress, gonna be in the market here pretty soon. Doing a cursory glance, the game has done changed. What the hell mattress does one buy these days? Do you order online, or like from Costco, or the regular furniture store, or some place I don't even know about? Brand recommendations in a king size, perhaps with an eye towards the husky Sixpacker?

And what about box springs? Do we still use them with these new kinda mattresses? They don't seem to come with box springs - do I just keep what I have or what?

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
It's been a few years since I've bought a new mattress, gonna be in the market here pretty soon. Doing a cursory glance, the game has done changed. What the hell mattress does one buy these days? Do you order online, or like from Costco, or the regular furniture store, or some place I don't even know about? Brand recommendations in a king size, perhaps with an eye towards the husky Sixpacker?

And what about box springs? Do we still use them with these new kinda mattresses? They don't seem to come with box springs - do I just keep what I have or what?
I got the memory foam mattress from Costco about 8 years ago. Put it on top of my box springs, just for the height I wanted. Box springs not needed for the mattress. Been very happy with it.

Reactions: dorndawg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

We bought a Sven and Son mattress a couple of years ago and it’s a foam mattress with no box springs. We bought it as two double mattresses with adjustment for each so she and I can sleep how we like it. It’s been great for my reflux because I can sit up a little and have zero issues. We bought it online and they shipped it to us.

There’s so many options out there it can be a little overwhelming.

ETA: I’m a big guy and it’s very comfortable for me.

PapaDawg

Nov 19, 2014
We bought a Sleep Number bed last year and are really enjoying it. I am a 60 year old, slightly over weight guy with sinus issues. Being able to have my head tilted up slightly really helps with the sinus drainage. My number is 50 and the wife’s is 25. They are not cheap.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

I have bought several Signature Sleep mattresses off Amazon. I like them. You can get a cheap platform (search: ZINUS 9 Inch Metal Smart Box Spring) to use as a box spring or just keep using your box spring. I will add that other than disliking a very worn/sunken mattress, I don't have a discerning taste. No princess and the pea over here...

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I can't help you, but there is apparently some conspiracy out there that mattress stores are a front for a huge money laundering scheme b/c there are way too many of them for the number of mattresses sold. Not sure about the conspiracy, but that would seem to indicate they have a huge mark up and at least if you're talking about mattresses that don't have the mechanical stuff in them, some lower cost options might be just as good as the expensive ones.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Bought a Sleep Number about a year ago. My wife and I are both young, but needed something different. She has cancer and I have cervical foraminal stenosis. It's worth the month. My side is extremely firm and she basically sleeps in a crater because hers is so low and soft. Being able to sit up when I read or watch tv helps neck/back issues, and being able to elevate your feet helps as well if you have any issues like that. It's a big investment, but it's worth it.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I can't help you, but there is apparently some conspiracy out there that mattress stores are a front for a huge money laundering scheme b/c there are way too many of them for the number of mattresses sold. Not sure about the conspiracy, but that would seem to indicate they have a huge mark up and at least if you're talking about mattresses that don't have the mechanical stuff in them, some lower cost options might be just as good as the expensive ones.

Will Do Episode 2 GIF by The Office

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Purple. It’s the mattress choice of Bo Bounds.

But seriously I’ve had one about a year now. It’s different from a foam mattress and takes a bit of getting used to. I was waking up with my hips and back aching on a traditional mattress and have had zero problems with the Purple. I opted for the 3. It was firm enough that I don’t sink into the bed but it has some give. The 4 was too stiff.

Matress and adjustable frame was about $3200 directly from Purple. If you don’t want adjustable it will work fine on a box spring or a platform. Or buy the mattress from a place like Mattress Firm or Misskelly when they are doing a deal for a free adjustable base.

msualohadog

Oct 25, 2014
Only advice I would add... If you buy a foam mattress, don't buy the cheapest ones. Get it a little firmer than you originally like in the store because they do break down a little and get softer. I am on my second foam mattress and love them. Use my original box spring. Bought some of the cheapest foam mattresses for guest rooms. They're good but not as good as the Serta we bought. Our first one broke down a little so I got a slightly firmer one the second time.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
We got a Tuft and Needle and love it. It's taking a pounding if you know what I mean and has shown no signs of sagging or wear.

My advice is you are going from a traditional mattress to a foam is to do it during the colder months. Foam is hotter. No matter what sort of marketing spin the manufacturer puts on it. Swapping them out in the winter will allow you to get acclimated to it much more easily.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
My wife has fibromyalgia so I did a lot of research. A reviewer that used ifrared sensor to determine which foam bed was cooler. I get hot so I didn't want a foam mattress that held heat in. We slept in a memory foam bed at a hotel and it was great until I woke up hot and couldn't go back to sleep. This is the one she recommended for fibromyalgia and the one we bought Dreamfoam . It has been awesome.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
We bought a Costco foam about 6 years ago and it was nice for about 4 years. Last year I tried several and chose the Simmons firm padded with the remote control frame. I am very happy with it so far. I almost went with a purple but the wife and I couldn't agree on which one. Glad I didn't go that route. The delivery guys said they get more return purples than any other brand.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
We got a Tuft and Needle and love it. It's taking a pounding if you know what I mean and has shown no signs of sagging or wear.

I can second this.

360's Tuft and Needle mattress takes a pounding and is holding up great. The fact that he never wakes up during the festivities, including when we decide to involve him, is a testament to how well it sleeps too.*

Last edited:

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I’ll give you a little information. For the record we have sleep numbers in the house, in the guest room and in the motorhome. A sleep number can be whatever you want in a mattress. Originally a memory foam mattress meant a 100% Latex foam mattress which was insanely expensive but generally worth it. There is no industry standard as to how much latex content is required for a manufacturer to call it Memory Foam. 5% latex can be called memory foam so beware. As a rule you get what you pay for. I retired from the furniture industry and have an industrial neighbor who “ manufactures “ mattresses. I’ve been in the place several times and have seen the operation. They get old hotel mattress’s and trade ins and remove the old cover. They then sew new covers on the internals and these are a lot of the bargain mattress you see at these discount mattress stores you see in every town. I’m not talking a no name mattress but they put high end name brand covers on old worn out hotel mattress’s.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I’ll give you a little information. For the record we have sleep numbers in the house, in the guest room and in the motorhome. A sleep number can be whatever you want in a mattress. Originally a memory foam mattress meant a 100% Latex foam mattress which was insanely expensive but generally worth it. There is no industry standard as to how much latex content is required for a manufacturer to call it Memory Foam. 5% latex can be called memory foam so beware. As a rule you get what you pay for. I retired from the furniture industry and have an industrial neighbor who “ manufactures “ mattresses. I’ve been in the place several times and have seen the operation. They get old hotel mattress’s and trade ins and remove the old cover. They then sew new covers on the internals and these are a lot of the bargain mattress you see at these discount mattress stores you see in every town. I’m not talking a no name mattress but they put high end name brand covers on old worn out hotel mattress’s.
damn.gif

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021
I used to sleep on a waveless waterbed. I loved it. i got rid of it when I went to the overpriced and pooor quality sleep number bed. First one wouldn’t hold air. Sent it back. Second one missed the delivery day. youd think a manager with a $10000 sale would rent a uhaul. I got mad, cancelled the sale and went to what used to the the Hilton Garden Inn adjustable air mattress by Natural Form https://naturalform.com/. I’ve had one for years. I would not change it out.

that said, a friend of mine works in a mattress in a box factory in Tupelo. https://nestandwild.com/

I would think about this one if I were replacing mine.

Reactions: skipper.sixpack

LexSCDOG

Aug 5, 2014

Bought a sleep number 360 P5 King mid last yr. Needed to be able to set the level of firmness differently for my wife and I and change as needed. Love it.

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
Anybody gone with a Helix, Nectar, Dreamcloud or Saatva? Been looking for a new one myself so tracking this thread.

Did try a purple at store and didn't care for it, liked the Nectar there better

Augustus McCrae

Aug 25, 2012
No mattress advice, but don't overlook the importance of good quality sheets. I've tried the poly/poly blend materials that are supposed to keep you cool in the summer and warm in the winter but I can't stand them. I burn up at night sleeping on those things. Nowadays I go with a good quality 100% cotton with a decent thread count. Nothing outlandish, just good solid sheets.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
We’ve had a foam Zoma for 4-5 years. It’s fair. Started to sag about 2 years in and I stuffed some old towels on the sagging areas and it’s still sleeping ok. For naughty time Mrs Ttown gets in the middle for some bounce and hangs on for the 8 seconds

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
No mattress advice, but don't overlook the importance of good quality sheets. I've tried the poly/poly blend materials that are supposed to keep you cool in the summer and warm in the winter but I can't stand them. I burn up at night sleeping on those things. Nowadays I go with a good quality 100% cotton with a decent thread count. Nothing outlandish, just good solid sheets.
Bamboo is the way to go. They stay cool and they shed bodily fluids better too.

Fedexdog

Oct 11, 2022
Most important is to be aware of height of mattress/box spring. You don’t want to mess up headboard/footboard proportions.
good luck…do research and still screw up…hell, I like my Sam’s club mattress!
Don’t worry, whatever you pick, your old sheets will not fit.

Reactions: Conman90

baddawggy

Jun 12, 2018
if your budget allows get the Tempur-Pedic deluxe cooling king with the adjustable bed. It has a snore feature that raises the bed on your side if you get the twin xl base and split king mattress. yes, you will pay 12-14k for the setup but it's worth it.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
if your budget allows get the Tempur-Pedic deluxe cooling king with the adjustable bed. It has a snore feature that raises the bed on your side if you get the twin xl base and split king mattress. yes, you will pay 12-14k for the setup but it's worth it.
Does this “cooling king” have some sort of active cooling or is it just designed to not retain as much body heat? I’m interested in some of these mattresses that have a built in cooling feature that pumps cold water through the mattress but the only reviews I’ve heard on them are from people being paid to give them.

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
Casper. It was too firm at first, but 2 days, i fell in love with it. Best sleep I’ve ever had and going on 10 yrs with it. Will buy another one next month just because 10 yrs is too long

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
thanks Dawgs
Bump. What did you go with? Happy with it? I mentioned I previously bought one from Costco and it’s been great for close to 10 years. Showing its age. Contacted the manufacturer and they don’t make that model anymore. Bought what they said was closest to it. Don’t love it. The Tempurpedic firm mattress feels just like what mine used to, but I don’t really want to spend $3500 on a mattress. I’ve tried several memory foam beds and none are close to mine when new or the tempurpedic. Gonna head to the sleep number store today and check them out.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I just took a chance on an online mattress. See below link. It's a flippable memory foam mattress. One side is med-soft the other med-firm. I also bought a slatted base as you're not supposed to put it on box springs. They also offer a flippable hybrid mattress if you don't want a pure memory foam bed. I've had mine for two weeks and I like it so far.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Bump. What did you go with? Happy with it? I mentioned I previously bought one from Costco and it’s been great for close to 10 years. Showing its age. Contacted the manufacturer and they don’t make that model anymore. Bought what they said was closest to it. Don’t love it. The Tempurpedic firm mattress feels just like what mine used to, but I don’t really want to spend $3500 on a mattress. I’ve tried several memory foam beds and none are close to mine when new or the tempurpedic. Gonna head to the sleep number store today and check them out.
Went with a Beautyrest Black, it was a little over $3,000. Very happy with it so far. Some of these online companies are probably fine and definitely cheaper, but I just ain't trying to deal with sleeping on a sub-par mattress or having to send one back.

If I could only ever give one piece of advice: Don't cheap out on things that come between you and the world. Mattresses, shoes, tires. The cheap ones usually'll just give you problems and regrets.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Got a TempurPedic Pro from Miskelly 6 months ago. You can spend half as much or twice as much, but you'll be hard pressed to find a better mattress (I spent roughly $3,300 for the mattress, base, a couple of good pillows and some good moisture wicking sheets). Most comfortable I've ever seen. It has the cooling technology, and I don't know how that works but somehow it does. Was able to go the whole summer with my thermostat at 70 overnight instead of 68 and never sweated a bit.

Whatever you do, take dorn dawg's advice and don't cheap out. You're going to be spending close to 1/3 of your life the next 20 years with this mattress. Spending another thousand or so for a good one is a no brainer investment. Also, you will need to buy a new base (just get the cheapest one that made for your mattress) to not void the warranty (you almost certainly need a new base anyway).

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021

Mattresses are the biggest rip off in the world........The mark up is unreal.........The last one we bought was at Sam's and we saved a ton comparative to Mattress Firm, etc.........If you do buy one from a mattress company wait til they have a sale weekend and and barter with them (embarrasses the hell outta Mrs. Salty).............Heck, even if you save $100 it's that much......We also bought an adjustable bed............It's the way to go for sure............Just make sure you get one with a leggett & platt motor.........Amazon is the way to go here (yes, even with shipping)..........

Last edited:

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Know that the mattress market is one of the last with ridiculous mark ups. Apple makes 100% to 130% profit on iPhones but mattress companies can still can make up to 800% mark up.

A Mattress Firm store only has to sell one mattress a day to be a $1M store. Sleep Number is the most ridiculous of all mattress mark up for the cost of the bed. If they advertise on TV there's a reason. That ain't cheap.

I get mine at mattress wholesale places. Paid $400 last time for a premium $3000 mattress. Mattress gel topper from Amazon for $75. Never once sore waking up and I never turn over at night.

Last edited:

BigBully

Feb 27, 2008
Anybody gone with a Helix, Nectar, Dreamcloud or Saatva? Been looking for a new one myself so tracking this thread.

Did try a purple at store and didn't care for it, liked the Nectar there better
We bought a Saatva a couple years ago and really like it. Ours is a firm spring based mattress and it has really held up good. Great customer service -- they deliver the mattress to you, set it up, and take the old one away (if you choose).

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Our next mattress purchase scares the 17 out of me. I am more comfortable with the idea of paying for college expenses in 2 years than I am with buying our next mattress.

Its so damn confusing and such a wide range of prices.

People straight up swear their $400 online mattress is the best thing they have ever slept on. Meanwhile, I look at our absurdly expensive Tempur Breeze-Luxe whatever else mattress at 10X the cost and wonder if I pissed away 9 X's on a damn mattress.
But if I talk my wife into going the cheap route and that thing isnt comfortable or hold up...holy hell that will be something she still gives me crap for in 2050.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login