OT: Mattresses

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Don't overthink it. I spent over 15 years traveling for a sales company sleeping on hotel mattresses about 3 nights a week. On weekends we would be traveling for youth soccer all over the SE so in that time period I spent more time in hotel beds than on my own mattress. Honestly, they all seem about the same to me. I can sleep on any of them and have no preferences. Whenever my wife gets the itch for a new one (which seems to be about every 10 years or so) I tell her to buy whatever. She wants to drag me all over town and lay on all of them and test them out. Then she searches the internet for the latest/greates. She finally has quit asking me because she knows I have no damn's to give and will take whatever she brings home.

Now pillows, that's a different story for a different thread. Those have to be really thin and squishy so I can wad them up just right.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2012
I’ll give you a little information. For the record we have sleep numbers in the house, in the guest room and in the motorhome. A sleep number can be whatever you want in a mattress. Originally a memory foam mattress meant a 100% Latex foam mattress which was insanely expensive but generally worth it. There is no industry standard as to how much latex content is required for a manufacturer to call it Memory Foam. 5% latex can be called memory foam so beware. As a rule you get what you pay for. I retired from the furniture industry and have an industrial neighbor who “ manufactures “ mattresses. I’ve been in the place several times and have seen the operation. They get old hotel mattress’s and trade ins and remove the old cover. They then sew new covers on the internals and these are a lot of the bargain mattress you see at these discount mattress stores you see in every town. I’m not talking a no name mattress but they put high end name brand covers on old worn out hotel mattress’s.
Dang Dawg
You and I have been in the same business. In a few months I’m retiring from the largest ,by far, furniture and bedding supplier in the world, while working out of north MS.
I agree to be careful and do your homework. There is a Tremendous markup on mattress from suppliers to dealers to public
My suggestion is go to a furniture company and lay on different brand name mattress, leave and come back next day and do the same and pick the one that suits you best
Most expensive is not always better

Reactions: thatsbaseball
Aug 31, 2012
I used to sleep on a waveless waterbed. I loved it. i got rid of it when I went to the overpriced and pooor quality sleep number bed. First one wouldn’t hold air. Sent it back. Second one missed the delivery day. youd think a manager with a $10000 sale would rent a uhaul. I got mad, cancelled the sale and went to what used to the the Hilton Garden Inn adjustable air mattress by Natural Form https://naturalform.com/. I’ve had one for years. I would not change it out.

that said, a friend of mine works in a mattress in a box factory in Tupelo. https://nestandwild.com/

I would think about this one if I were replacing mine.
Is that from sandman bedding?

LandArchDawg

Sep 14, 2003
It's been a few years since I've bought a new mattress, gonna be in the market here pretty soon. Doing a cursory glance, the game has done changed. What the hell mattress does one buy these days? Do you order online, or like from Costco, or the regular furniture store, or some place I don't even know about? Brand recommendations in a king size, perhaps with an eye towards the husky Sixpacker?

And what about box springs? Do we still use them with these new kinda mattresses? They don't seem to come with box springs - do I just keep what I have or what?
We've had a Tuft & Needle foam mattress for over 10 years and we like it. No issues with it feeling too hot or anything like that. Would recommend.

We just put our new mattress over the old box springs from the prior set we had. No issues.

Aug 31, 2012
Does this “cooling king” have some sort of active cooling or is it just designed to not retain as much body heat? I’m interested in some of these mattresses that have a built in cooling feature that pumps cold water through the mattress but the only reviews I’ve heard on them are from people being paid to give them.
No cooling pumps..just a type of foam ejected with a polymer that when compressed it gives the sensation of being cool. The cooling part doesn’t last very long kinda like the pillows

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
We bought a Stearns & Foster a few years back. I don't remember the exact price but it was north of 3K. Pretty good mattress I guess but it weighs a ton and makes it a pain in the *** to change sheets etc.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Me and Mrs. Devil are on our second sleep number. We have had nothing but good luck and great things to say about them. I am big guy and after years of playing and coaching football I have a terrible back, but the sleep number really seems to help with that. They are pricey.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
Anybody gone with a Helix, Nectar, Dreamcloud or Saatva? Been looking for a new one myself so tracking this thread.

Did try a purple at store and didn't care for it, liked the Nectar there better
We have been sleeping on a Saatva for nearly a year now and have zero complaints. I have lower back issues (degenerative disk and spinal stenosis) that make finding a good mattress very critical. My wife has back issues as well. We bought the extra firm-I’m a side sleeper and my wife sleeps on her back and we both wake up feeling great. Ordered it online and shipping, delivery and setup was included for a 15” thick King size mattress for like $2600 (it was on sale with $300 off). We have a year to decide if we want to keep or return for full refund. I would but another Saatva-my sister and her husband have slept on one for several years and love theirs, too.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
We have been sleeping on a Saatva for nearly a year now and have zero complaints. I have lower back issues (degenerative disk and spinal stenosis) that make finding a good mattress very critical. My wife has back issues as well. We bought the extra firm-I’m a side sleeper and my wife sleeps on her back and we both wake up feeling great. Ordered it online and shipping, delivery and setup was included for a 15” thick King size mattress for like $2600 (it was on sale with $300 off). We have a year to decide if we want to keep or return for full refund. I would but another Saatva-my sister and her husband have slept on one for several years and love theirs, too.
I'm like other posters in that I won't buy a mattress without laying on it and testing it out first, so ordering online without seeing, feeling, testing is a no-go. But I've liked everything I've read and seen with the Saatva's. Luckily, I just found out that they have a showroom in Dallas, so I see a short drive to the east coming up for the wife and me to experience them in person. (Our 20.5 year-old Sealy is getting a little past its prime.)

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
It's been a few years since I've bought a new mattress, gonna be in the market here pretty soon. Doing a cursory glance, the game has done changed. What the hell mattress does one buy these days? Do you order online, or like from Costco, or the regular furniture store, or some place I don't even know about? Brand recommendations in a king size, perhaps with an eye towards the husky Sixpacker?

And what about box springs? Do we still use them with these new kinda mattresses? They don't seem to come with box springs - do I just keep what I have or what?

Stearns & Foster makes the best traditional mattress on the market. I had one before, and if I were buying now I'd go that route. Just a solid mattress.

I have a Sleep Number currently. It's fine. No complaints.

Reactions: dorndawg

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Sterns
Stearns & Foster makes the best traditional mattress on the market. I had one before, and if I were buying now I'd go that route. Just a solid mattress.

I have a Sleep Number currently. It's fine. No complaints.
Sterns and Foster was that matress I bought at a discount mattress warehouse. Unused, $400. Its fantastic.

Aug 31, 2012
Me and Mrs. Devil are on our second sleep number. We have had nothing but good luck and great things to say about them. I am big guy and after years of playing and coaching football I have a terrible back, but the sleep number really seems to help with that. They are pricey.
I was always taught you slept on fire and brimstone in hell.

was21

May 29, 2007
Bump. What did you go with? Happy with it? I mentioned I previously bought one from Costco and it’s been great for close to 10 years. Showing its age. Contacted the manufacturer and they don’t make that model anymore. Bought what they said was closest to it. Don’t love it. The Tempurpedic firm mattress feels just like what mine used to, but I don’t really want to spend $3500 on a mattress. I’ve tried several memory foam beds and none are close to mine when new or the tempurpedic. Gonna head to the sleep number store today and check them out.
Last week bought a Tempurpedic medium mattress at Rooms to Go. Taking a little while for it to conform to the body but believe it will be a good one. More than I wanted to spend, close to $3,000 with everything, has an adjustable frame or whatever it's called. I spend a third of my life sleeping, so figure it's worth the price.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login