OT: McDonald's first but it's coming folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Rumor say there's a lot more franchises about to make the jump. And besides that, inflation has nullified the living wage that 20 bucks used to be. The economy will always reprice itself to deal with hand outs.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
CVS is pretty much this way. Only an automated check out in the regular store part. But humans are in the pharmacy.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I keep wondering how long it will be before it's just placed on a pallet at the store snd customers find it themselves. Lot of self scheckout these days everywhere with skeleton crews just to help if there is an issue. Won't be long until robots are stocking shelves.

PCHSDawg

Nov 12, 2014
Good. ****** jobs should be automated. You either have to pay your employees enough to make rent at a minimum or find a new way.
So my niece who is a junior in high school working at McDonald's should be paid enough to pay rent? BS, a food service job used to be an entry level job to learn how to work, not a job to make a living at. Automation means teens will have no jobs where they can learn how to work.

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
You expect me to believe that they’re gonna automate an entire restaurant when they can’t even get the ice cream machine to work?
Someone has to keep the machine stocked with buns and pickles and chicken nuggets so no. And on top of that they will have to pay a guy 100k a year to maintain those machines that do automate the burger flipping etc.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
Someone has to keep the machine stocked with buns and pickles and chicken nuggets so no. And on top of that they will have to pay a guy 100k a year to maintain those machines that do automate the burger flipping etc.
Article about it says there’s still a normal kitchen of workers, they are just hidden behind the wall loading up the conveyor belt. I don’t see any restaurant being truly ‘fully automated’ in my lifetime. Automating the cashier is easy, but not much else.

Tracer Bullet

Jul 30, 2018
So my niece who is a junior in high school working at McDonald's should be paid enough to pay rent? BS, a food service job used to be an entry level job to learn how to work, not a job to make a living at. Automation means teens will have no jobs where they can learn how to work.

So McDonald's should only be open from 3pm-10pm everyday when the high school kids get out? If it is only an entry level job, you can't expect fast food places to be open when school is in session.

Yes, if your niece or anyone who is working 40 hours a week she should be paid enough for a living wage. I don't want to have to subsidize McDonald's employees with my tax dollars so they can survive. Taxpayers should not bear the burden for companies who cannot or are unwilling to pay their adult workers a wage that keeps them off of public assistance.

And yes, jobs will always be automated out as technology progresses. And in turn, new ones will be created as a result of that technology. That has been the case throughout human history.

Reactions: Crazy Cotton

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
The jobs are still there. Most of them will pay more money. What you will no longer have is a lot of the frontline interaction with consumers- saves a lot hassle for the business and creates greater employee satisfaction when they don't have to deal with a88holes.
If they need that grief they can go home and get on a message board.
It's a new day in the service industry. EMBRACE IT!

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Yes, if your niece or anyone who is working 40 hours a week she should be paid enough for a living wage. I don't want to have to subsidize McDonald's employees with my tax dollars so they can survive.
Not if you're working at an entry level job. It's called entry level because it does not require special certification, education or skill training. The average teenager can do it after the bell rings. If you raise the pay to make it a living wage the economy will reprice itself to move the pay level back below a living wage, and, you'll be stuck with a higher fast food tab. So yes, you will subsidize it out of your own pocket, and after the free market processes all of that idiocy your entry level employees will still be forced to look for a job that has a higher fundamental value to society in order to achieve the fabled living wage.

PCHSDawg

Nov 12, 2014
So you'd rather they didn't have an option to work since automation is cheaper than paying a fast food worker who still lives at home and is working to be less of financial burden on her parents? That's aweful noble of you.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
As long as it runs off an Xbox or play station controller it should be no problem.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
So McDonald's should only be open from 3pm-10pm everyday when the high school kids get out? If it is only an entry level job, you can't expect fast food places to be open when school is in session.

Yes, if your niece or anyone who is working 40 hours a week she should be paid enough for a living wage. I don't want to have to subsidize McDonald's employees with my tax dollars so they can survive. Taxpayers should not bear the burden for companies who cannot or are unwilling to pay their adult workers a wage that keeps them off of public assistance.

And yes, jobs will always be automated out as technology progresses. And in turn, new ones will be created as a result of that technology. That has been the case throughout human history.

If McDonald's has an obligation to pay them more than a market wage, why shouldn't you have that obligation? Why does McDonald's have a greater obligation than the general taxpayer?

If it makes you feel better, you can think of it as McDonald's subsidizing the taxpayer by reducing the amount of money that taxpayers have to pay for low productivity employees. Much better for McDonald's to pay the employee $10 an hour and the Taxpayer be on the hook for some SNAP and EITC than it is for McDonald's to pay for the ownership and maintenance or lease of a kiosk and the Taxpayer have to completely support the person that can only justify a $10 an hour wage.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

So why not jack the national minimum wage to $50 / HR? Wouldn't that be twice as funner? Or should wages be based on what an employer is willing / capable to pay and what an employee is willing to accept? Either way, both have the option of saying "no", no? Giving BOTH an OPTION to look elsewhere for greener grass? It amazes me that so many pretend to have access to a business owner's P&L to qualify themselves as a legit 3rd party arbitrator.

Last edited:

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
CVS is pretty much this way. Only an automated check out in the regular store part. But humans are in the pharmacy.
Based on my experience in the drive-thru at my local CVS, there ain't many back in the pharmacy. They're always short of help and service is terrible, and slow. Can't wait to move my prescriptions elsewhere next year.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
But people gonna be bitching because they can't get work because they don't have the skills to do the jobs that can't be automated or they don't want to.
We have a labor shortage. There are a lot of Boomers retiring. Our immigration system is broken so we don't get the help we need from there. Unskilled labor is being automated out because they have better options. Skilled labor positions that used to require being skilled to get hired are now doing more training to develop skills.

I'm more concerned about local full service restaurants than chains that can be automated. Scariest of all is that it may be that some folks have to learn to ***gasp*** cook food at home.

Aug 22, 2012
So instead of making $10/hr they're making $0/hr.
They can either get another job or we can just enact nationwide UBI to provide everyone with a very basic standard of living. Why would you glorify menial labor? It just makes people miserable.
Most jobs can be taught on the job. A fast food job only teaches you to hate authority. She doesn't need that job. Ideally, you'd be earning enough from your job to provide her with some spending money if that's the purpose of her getting the job. That way, she can enjoy being a kid while she is one.
But people gonna be bitching because they can't get work because they don't have the skills to do the jobs that can't be automated or they don't want to.
No one sees service industry on a resume and thinks that person should be hired. It's dead space. It's treading water in life and nothing else. The way those jobs pay compared to rent, you gotta work 80 hours a week across three jobs that all think they have scheduling priority to barely get by and you're one bad day from ruin.
If McDonald's has an obligation to pay them more than a market wage, why shouldn't you have that obligation? Why does McDonald's have a greater obligation than the general taxpayer?

If it makes you feel better, you can think of it as McDonald's subsidizing the taxpayer by reducing the amount of money that taxpayers have to pay for low productivity employees. Much better for McDonald's to pay the employee $10 an hour and the Taxpayer be on the hook for some SNAP and EITC than it is for McDonald's to pay for the ownership and maintenance or lease of a kiosk and the Taxpayer have to completely support the person that can only justify a $10 an hour wage.
You've come a long way politically since the last time I argued with you like 8 years ago. No notes.

Really y'all, why do you hate the idea of society improving to the point where people don't have to work themselves to an early grave for fear of dying poor in the streets? My dad, an amazing Bulldog who had a major effect on world history, had a week of retirement before cancer claimed him. I refuse to have a future like that.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Americans use to brag about the time America had the highest standard of living. Now they hate each other for dumb ideological reasons. Nothing wrong with raising the minimum wage over the next couple of years to something like $12 with exceptions for small businesses. As someone else mentioned, businesses that pay low wages simply get taxpayers to support their low-wage labor through govt programs. I just find it weird that some Americans don't want others to be paid a decent wage.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Really y'all, why do you hate the idea of society improving to the point where people don't have to work themselves to an early grave for fear of dying poor in the streets? My dad, an amazing Bulldog who had a major effect on world history, had a week of retirement before cancer claimed him. I refuse to have a future like that.
Telling people they cannot be legally employed unless they are productive enough to live a middle class life style is not going to improve society. People that are less productive than average are still human beings that deserve the freedom to work in a legal job and shouldn't be legally prohibited from working for a market wage just because they may struggle to generate enough for retirement.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. My dad didn't get to enjoy any retirement despite working hard for a long time and being pretty productive, but that doesn't make me think that somebody that can't produce more than $15 an hour should be condemned to relying on government handouts and charity.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Americans use to brag about the time America had the highest standard of living. Now they hate each other for dumb ideological reasons. Nothing wrong with raising the minimum wage over the next couple of years to something like $12 with exceptions for small businesses. As someone else mentioned, businesses that pay low wages simply get taxpayers to support their low-wage labor through govt programs. I just find it weird that some Americans don't want others to be paid a decent wage.
You cannot raise the minimum wage. The minimum wage is $0 regardless of what the law claims. What is legally called the minimum wage is a productivity floor. It's basically saying if you can't produce more than the minimum wage, you don't get to work legally unless your employer is making a mistake or taking pity on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login