OT: Midsize SUV

snowman79

Sep 18, 2012
About to get serious on getting rid of minivan and looking at midsize SUVs with decent gas mileage and a roomy 3rd row seat. Any sixpackers have a recommendation? Really liking the Palisade right now .

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
About to get serious on getting rid of minivan and looking at midsize SUVs with decent gas mileage and a roomy 3rd row seat. Any sixpackers have a recommendation? Really liking the Palisade right now .
We have a Palisade. I let my wife research for whatever SUV she wanted (as long as it was easy for me to drive since I’m 6’6) and she landed on the Palisade. It has a lot of nice features for the price range it’s in. The Kia Telluride is its sister car and really nice as well.

ETA: The third row is actually functional. I can sit in the third row

Last edited:

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
We really like our Pilot but there have been a number of recalls and quirks to deal with. Seems to be doing good for now .

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
My wife drives an Acura MDX. I like it a lot. She seems to like it a lot. During the buying process, we looked at and seriously considered the Toyota Highlander, VW Atlas and GMC Acadia. I would have been happy with any of those. I do think the MDX is the most comfortable.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
There is only one answer. Toyota (Grand) Highlander Hybrid.
There Can Be Only One Highlander GIF

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
We went down this rabbit hole last year. Wife has driven Mercedes SUVs for years. Customer service and build quality had consistently gone downhill so we decided to look at everything and I mean everything. We test drove and researched from a Ford Escape to a BMW M7 and most everything in between. She kept going back to the Subaru Forrester. She knew exactly what she wanted as far as color, interior, and options. When she was finally ready to buy nothing was available due to Covid. It took almost six months to find exactly what she wanted. Subaru make two engines, two transmissions, one drive train, they are basically a simple vehicle. I was shocked when i opened the hood, everything is right there and accessible. Customer service is what Mercedes was 10-15 years ago. You can buy as much warranty as you want directly from Subaru, not a third party. My windshield is warrantied against rock pecks for five years. The Accent is the model with third row seats and it’s actually made in the US. I’ve been impressed with the vehicle.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
We've had BMW X5s for the last 15 years. Current one is the last of the diesels - I get 28 MPG on the highway and that thing pulls like a freight train here in the Smoky mountains where I live. I'm at 250K and there aren't any diesels anymore so I've been looking at everything over the last 2 years. I'm back to the X5. IF you plan on having people in the back seat regularly, do yourself a favor and at least sit in one. The other vehicle that was an attractive option is the Grand Cherokee but I got scared off looking at reliability statistics.

I'm probably going with the new plug-in hybrid model. Has the turbo straight 6 so travel will be fine, and it has an electric range of about 30 miles which will save a ton of wear on the engine and should save me some gas money for the daily commute. Maintenance costs for me haven't really ben that different than other new vehicles. Whatever you get, really good idea to have a dealer you can stand located within a reasonable distance from you.

Reactions: patdog

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
We have the Highlander Hybrid. Third row is small and tight, but that mileage though.

It actually hit 40.4 on the average last week. Went on trip to Hot Springs and I’d let her coast going down those hills. Had a head wind coming back and this is result.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
Reactions: JayDawg21

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
My wife drives an Acura MDX. I like it a lot. She seems to like it a lot. During the buying process, we looked at and seriously considered the Toyota Highlander, VW Atlas and GMC Acadia. I would have been happy with any of those. I do think the MDX is the most comfortable.
We have an RDX and I love driving that car.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

CEO2044

May 11, 2009
Really hard to beat a Toyota. So like others have said- Grand Highlander.

We just have the regular Highlander and have liked it a lot, but third row is meant for very small people.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Really hard to beat a Toyota. So like others have said- Grand Highlander.

We just have the regular Highlander and have liked it a lot, but third row is meant for very small people.
How many people are putting adults in the 3rd row on a regular basis? Or really even ever?

Reactions: TaleofTwoDogs

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Too rich for my blood, the Nissan Rogue... fits just fine and saved my wife when she got T-boned by another car doing 65.

Independent George

Sep 21, 2014
We traded in our minivan last May and got a new 2023 Telluride SX. We just rolled over 20K miles and we love it. Haven’t had a single problem with it. The technology and options it has are outstanding compared to others in that segment. The ride quality and interior space has been great and we have a family of five. Plus you can’t beat the 5/60 & 10/100 warranty although we haven’t had to use it yet. I was able to negotiate it down to a couple thousand below MSRP and that was 10 months ago when supply was more limited than it is now.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I'd check out the palisade, telluride, highlander, pilot, and mazda has one now too, cx90.

My wife drives a 2020 palisade, had it just over 4 years and 50k miles. It's been great.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Toyota Grand Highlander hybrid for the win. Get a hybrid and search for the cheapest extended warranty. Got 8 years bumper to bumper for $1500. 10 years on battery. Telluride (or the Hyundai version) if you don't care about a hybrid

Last edited:

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
BMW iX.

If that's out of your price range, wait until the BMW iX3 gets released in the states.

Both have no oil changes, transmission fluid changes, essentially no maintenance. With the money you'll save on gas and oil changes, it'll help mitigate the monthly payment.

Don't look solely at the payment. Look at the total cost of ownership.

dawgflo

Nov 17, 2021
I have an Acadia that I inherited from my wife when we got a van. It's fine. Nothing I absolutely love about it, but nothing I absolutely hate about it. We only kept it because we have 4 kids and if we need something done to the van, it would be easy to move all our stuff over to the Acadia and still fit everyone. I wouldn't recommend traveling with kids in the third row, though. It's a little tight for long rides.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I think the Lexus GX might be the only real midsize SUV with a 3rd row. The vast majority of the midsize SUV market are actually unibody crossovers. If you're just looking for a grocery getter, that's fine. But if you plan on using any of the "sport" function, you want a body on frame SUV, which are mostly full size if you want 3 rows.

Friend hit a pothole in a Telluride and it shoved the passenger side wheel all the way up into the engine and passenger compartments. It took 5 months to get repaired and should have been totalled.

As these "midsize" SUVs get bigger and heavier to accommodate for 3 rows, you really are better off going full size IMO... Or just getting a minvan.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I have never shopped them. But I have inherited my mother's Ford Explorer, and once I cleaned out 4 million napkins and years of random bits of candy, it's grown on me. So much that I will probably be selling my truck soon.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
If you aren’t the expensive brand type person, Hyundai has upped their game on the updated Santa Fe that’s being released this year. It’s really sharp and looks like it’s made by Land Rover. Google it.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
We went down this rabbit hole last year. Wife has driven Mercedes SUVs for years. Customer service and build quality had consistently gone downhill so we decided to look at everything and I mean everything. We test drove and researched from a Ford Escape to a BMW M7 and most everything in between. She kept going back to the Subaru Forrester. She knew exactly what she wanted as far as color, interior, and options. When she was finally ready to buy nothing was available due to Covid. It took almost six months to find exactly what she wanted. Subaru make two engines, two transmissions, one drive train, they are basically a simple vehicle. I was shocked when i opened the hood, everything is right there and accessible. Customer service is what Mercedes was 10-15 years ago. You can buy as much warranty as you want directly from Subaru, not a third party. My windshield is warrantied against rock pecks for five years. The Accent is the model with third row seats and it’s actually made in the US. I’ve been impressed with the vehicle.
I find Subaru's extremely quirky, but also seem to be well-built. The inline 4 with the turbo combined with the CVT transmission has enough power that it's not gonna get you in a bind on the interstate, but it's not gonna pin you back in the seat either. And as you say, the warranty being directly with them makes your life easier. I probably wouldn't buy one if I wasn't fairly close to the dealer, which tend to only be in larger population areas. i think there's only 1 in Mississippi, in Jackson?

It's been my experience once somebody becomes a "Subaru person", they rarely go back (insert joke here). I wouldn't purchase one for myself, but I don't mind having it in the driveway.

Jacknut

Sep 29, 2022
"The inline 4..." All Subaru engines are horizontally opposed "boxer" engines.

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
I bought my wife a Toyota Grand Highlander back in November. She loves it and it has a lot of room. I can fit in middle seat easily!!

Reactions: aTotal360

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
"The inline 4..." All Subaru engines are horizontally opposed "boxer" engines.
Thank you. Fellas, if you require info such as whether Subaru engines are inline 4cylinder or a horizontally opposed "boxer" 4 cylinder engine, Jacknut is your guy, not me.

Reactions: Jacknut

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I find Subaru's extremely quirky, but also seem to be well-built. The inline 4 with the turbo combined with the CVT transmission has enough power that it's not gonna get you in a bind on the interstate, but it's not gonna pin you back in the seat either. And as you say, the warranty being directly with them makes your life easier. I probably wouldn't buy one if I wasn't fairly close to the dealer, which tend to only be in larger population areas. i think there's only 1 in Mississippi, in Jackson?

It's been my experience once somebody becomes a "Subaru person", they rarely go back (insert joke here). I wouldn't purchase one for myself, but I don't mind having it in the driveway.
We went back. I don’t know if it was just ours but we had a lot of problems with our Outback. Some small things like glitchy Radio controls, windows and seats randomly cracking. Some big ones like multiple wheel bearing replacements, cracked manifold, and a head gasket leak. That’s why we went back to Acura/Honda.

Reactions: dorndawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login