OT: Longtimefan Strike

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Literally every industry has had to deal with adjusting to technology improvements and automation of some kind. These guys held everyone by the balls because they didn’t like it.
Yep learn to fix the technology or use it. Manual labor jobs change all the time. Amount electronics technicians have etc etc

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
"Give Croom time"
Croom got his 5 years to gitter done. So did Rockey. That's fair in my opinion. I'm more than willing to give Lebby at least 3 years....maybe more if he can show positive improvement. We just cannot continue to fire coaches every one or two years and expect to attract a really good coach.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Yep. Automation/innovation is the backbone of capitalism. Businesses/industries that innovate experience rapid growth, hire new employees, and lift entire economic sectors/regions. Businesses/industries that try to protect antiquated methods of operation are dead without even knowing it and drag down the economic stakeholders that rely on them down with them.. See the rust belt.

There's no difference in what these morons are arguing for than the wagon makers in the 19th century trying to prevent railroads or automobiles from taking over.

And for the "I'm GonNa SeNd my kIdS To tRaDe sChOoL" folks... Think it through. I'm more in favor of sending mine to engineering school to develop the technology that replaces your kid's job in 20 years.
On the other hand AI will never wire your house, install/fix your ac, be a plumber etc but AI will diagnosis illness, write legal briefs, and design technology. When AI was first being developed I thought it might do away with blue collar jobs but now I think that white collar jobs will be more impacted by AI.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
On the other hand AI will never wire your house, install/fix your ac, be a plumber etc but AI will diagnosis illness, write legal briefs, and design technology. When AI was first being developed I thought it might do away with blue collar jobs but now I think that white collar jobs will be more impacted by AI.
As much as John Deere wants to tout it, it’s not replacing tractor drivers either.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Well, since they kicked the canned on the road a bit, I do hope that the dock workers are able to negotiate pay that is incentivizing and competitive both now and in the future, while also accepting the reality that the pay they are demanding is unrealistic.

And I hope they are able to create an agreement that details a timeline for implementing automation and details workers protection levels.
Including cross training and guarantees that a % of current workers will then be employed to maintain/repair equipment would be good.
5 years- X max changes to automation and Z max possible reduction in staff.
10 years- X max changes to automation and Z max possible reduction in staff.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Be Back Later Break Time GIF by ConEquip Parts

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
while also accepting the reality that the pay they are demanding is unrealistic.
First you can't get it if you don't ask for it. Second, I think they know it's unrealistic, but you can never go back up the mountain in negotiations, but you can always come down. In any negotiation you start really high even if you know it will not happen.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
As much as John Deere wants to tout it, it’s not replacing tractor drivers either.
Surely they're close though, right? I mean, maybe not close as in a year or two because the risk of having a large, million dollar piece of equipment only subject to remote control if something goes wrong is a hard risk to swallow and that last few percent of improvement is going to be hard to achieve, but surely they can already run a tractor for a long time autonomously at this point?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
First you can't get it if you don't ask for it. Second, I think they know it's unrealistic, but you can never go back up the mountain in negotiations, but you can always come down. In any negotiation you start really high even if you know it will not happen.
100% agree.
So much has been made about the high pay demand, but to your point, you can’t ever ask for more after you offer up that initial number.
with that said, I can see how some Goodwill could be lost by demanding more. But I am sure the union took that into account… It’s not like this is their first time negotiating a contract or dealing with PR.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Union boss knows there is an election in 30 days.
He knew that before the strike. The question is what kind of promises he received from Kamala's team as far as support in order to delay the strike. I might would have deal with it now than risk dealing with it next quarter when they have an administration that made promises to them and isn't facing any reelection for almost four years.

Plus I think at this point we should really be able to break the union and mob ties. Maybe not at every local, but at least at the 17ing national level and them 17ing things up might would be the impetus to get that done.

Reactions: tbaydog

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
100% agree.
So much has been made about the high pay demand, but to your point, you can’t ever ask for more after you offer up that initial number.
with that said, I can see how some Goodwill could be lost by demanding more. But I am sure the union took that into account… It’s not like this is their first time negotiating a contract or dealing with PR.
I think the biggest hold up will be automation. They might get protection in this contract but when the next collective bargaining comes up, they may not. Technolgy is great and more efficient, but it will cost jobs eventually.

I am glad I can retire at any time with my define benefit plan because I could be replaced by AI. Once they solve the power that it takes to run it issue and it cost less than paying a human. My job could be gone. I only need about three more years. I think I can get there first.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Possible, but without white collar jobs, you may not have a market for electricans/HVAC/plumbers because no one can afford them. Who knows.

I honestly don't think jobs will go away overall, I think society will just get faster and move closer to its impending doom. But hey I did see a video where some folks are trying to dump all our trash in the Mariana Trench, which could hold enough to last us like 2,000 years.

Guess we need to pay these longshoremen

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
100% agree.
I dont' know. I think they had too much influence from people in areas used to the mob dictating their national strategy. The outrageous pay hikes weren't that big of a deal; a little tone deaf, but depending on the raises they've gotten during the last 4 years of inflation, and considering it's over 6 years, it's very possible they needed to start at at least a 50% payraise to leave them any negotiating room; if the union leadership needs to make outrageous demands to satisfy their voters, whatever. But the fact that they let their national head go on air with his mobster tactics makes me think they weren't taking basic things into account, like how much goodwill a 77% initial ask would cost them.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Well, since they kicked the canned on the road a bit, I do hope that the dock workers are able to negotiate pay that is incentivizing and competitive both now and in the future, while also accepting the reality that the pay they are demanding is unrealistic.

And I hope they are able to create an agreement that details a timeline for implementing automation and details workers protection levels.
Including cross training and guarantees that a % of current workers will then be employed to maintain/repair equipment would be good.
5 years- X max changes to automation and Z max possible reduction in staff.
10 years- X max changes to automation and Z max possible reduction in staff.
Fact check: The average dock worker salary today is 120k and many of them make up to 200k annually.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
The jobs are more important than these workers. We either have efficiency at ports using automation or we protect people, and not just jobs, and make Americans pay more for a host of products to keep some highly paid, politically powerful people employed. Self-checkout at stores works fine for me.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The jobs are more important than these workers. We either have efficiency at ports using automation or we protect people, and not just jobs, and make Americans pay more for a host of products to keep some highly paid, politically powerful people employed. Self-checkout at stores works fine for me.
Most likely we'll have a temporary hike in prices, to cover the larger salaries and investment in automation, then it eventually comes down and all these guys either adapt or hit the road. Their jobs will get easier but also much less valuable.

Jul 11, 2024
Yeah, asking for better pay and asking to protect jobs from automation are totally understandable from an employee's perspective.
...the details though?...those are pretty dang hig
I thought libs were all about progress?

Not automating will eventually be terrible for the USA and its citizens if everyone else is automating. And they are.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I thought libs were all about progress?

Not automating will eventually be terrible for the USA and its citizens if everyone else is automating. And they are.
At this point you just need to realize glfr generally just takes the opposite stance of everything a conservative posts here, even if he may agree somewhat, basically to be argumentative. Realizing this will head off the urge to respond to him and create 500 page-long threads.

It's similar to dealing with......you.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login