OT: Moving Question

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
If the Zombie family were to relocate somewhere between Jackson and Atlanta, what's the move? Open to central TN, anything in AL, or FL panhandle. Work remotely, but need reasonable access to an airport. Want reasonable house prices, decent schools, safety + the aforementioned reasonable airport access (i.e., small airport w/i 45 minutes or big airport w/i 1.5h). wouldn't mind getting to watch some mississippi state games in person again, either

edit: but I’m coming from more expensive places, so most house prices other than expensive areas or Nashville are probably going to seem “reasonable”. Still would like to get more for my money, though

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
If the Zombie family were to relocate somewhere between Jackson and Atlanta, what's the move? Open to central TN, anything in AL, or FL panhandle. Work remotely, but need reasonable access to an airport. Want reasonable house prices, decent schools, safety + the aforementioned reasonable airport access (i.e., small airport w/i 45 minutes or big airport w/i 1.5h). wouldn't mind getting to watch some mississippi state games in person again, either
That new 40 year mortgage was to hard resist, huh?

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The Huntsville area is nice and you’re in between Birmingham, Nashville, and Atlanta. Not too terribly far from Starkville.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Fl. I love it here. Schools are great my car is never locked in my driveway or at stores. Probably a mistake. There isn’t a lot exceptionally close for entertainment but Pensacola is 15 minutes. Destin is 45 when it’s not summer. We go to OWA in Foley which is an amusement park and indoor Waterpark. We are 15 minutes from the beach and you have a choice. If you want a party beach go to Pensacola Beach. If you want a peaceful one go to Navarre. I’ll admit traffic to Navarre can be a pain between May and September. We have PNS and VPS for flights.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Bama coast, ms coast, Huntsville, bham or north of metro ATL.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
So I guess this means you're not going to make it down for my annual potato boil this fall... More for me. Or is the potato boil why you need to be close to the airport?

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
I like Birmingham. Has everything you need and does not feel like a big city. Their downtown redevelopment is great, and good schools in MTN Brook, Homewood, Vestavia, etc. Good airport, but ATL isnt far away either. 2(ish) hours from Starkville as well.

PRAVan1996

Mar 7, 2023
This is not in the area you mentioned but you should look at Conway, Arkansas. My wife is from that neck of the woods and I've been impressed every time we go.

Town is about 60,000 people so there are plenty of amenities. Some good local restaurants as well as most of the chains. There are plenty of big box stores (Target, Dick's, Sam's Club, Best Buy, Home Depot, Lowes, etc...), plus a nice downtown area that has small town vibes. Schools are really good (at least according to my wife's sister) and I think it's one of the safer metro areas in Arkansas. And whatever you might need/want that's not in Conway is in Little Rock, which is only 30 minutes away... including the airport.

Reactions: ZombieKissinger

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If you're coming from an expensive area, I would recommend biting the bullet and going to Nashville. Do it right. It's within that 4-hour range. Huntsville and Chattanooga are OK but are settling compared to the real thing. And be careful where you buy in those areas, because it's tricky as far as schools. PM me for more info. But those 2 are going to feel more like where you are coming from. But again.....if you're gonna go, go hard, get into Nashville. It's simply the place to be. Shining light of the South, although the culture is markedly different than the ones I'm about to mention.

I wouldn't go to Birmingham or Atlanta or New Orleans unless your job required you to be there, family ties, etc. Or you just like something about those areas, like the old south vibe or something. I also wouldn't go to Arkansas, unless it's NW AR and then you're well out of Starkville range. Little Rock is in that same culture as Nashville but just has too much hillbilly. And I'll revise on Atlanta, it can be alright, but geez, why put up with the craziness of it all. If you do that, go north.

If you want the Coast, any of the areas from MS to FL are decent to live, just depends on what you like.

I've lived in many of these areas. I used to hate the nimrods who always would recommend something outside of MS but I've just conceded that's the way it is. MS ain't for everybody I guess. At least there are decent places within a 4 hour drive of Starkville, I suppose.

Do NOT go to friggin' Gadsden (@patdog) or Auburn (@Maroon Eagle). That's silliness. If you want an Auburn-like town, go to Starkville. Good Lord, people.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007

edit: but I’m coming from more expensive places, so most house prices other than expensive areas or Nashville are probably going to seem “reasonable”. Still would like to get more for my money, though

Brandon.

It's between Jackson and Atlanta, has very good schools, and is about as safe as you can get. Negative is that you do have to go through Pearl though to get to the airport.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Brandon.

It's between Jackson and Atlanta, has very good schools, and is about as safe as you can get. Negative is that you do have to go through Pearl though to get to the airport.
And/or Madison. But I agree. The only reason I didn't mention is because the MS-hater brigade will soon be here to tell you how Madison/Brandon are good for MS, but are still horrible compared to their oases.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
And/or Madison. But I agree. The only reason I didn't mention is because the MS-hater brigade will soon be here to tell you how Madison/Brandon are good for MS, but are still horrible compared to their oases.

Well, I said that in jest because it's clearly not what Zombie intended, but you're right. The Jackson 'burbs are fine places to live. They do have good schools for the most part and are very safe. And hey, Brandon has an amphitheater that gets national acts now.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Well, I said that in jest because it's clearly not what Zombie intended, but you're right. The Jackson 'burbs are fine places to live. They do have good schools for the most part and are very safe. And hey, Brandon has an amphitheater that gets national acts now.
Hard to pick up rumor around here anymore. I mean patdog said Gadsden, which about like freaking Tupelo. Though that's really a disservice to Tupelo. Tupelo has a commercial service airport, at least.

Reactions: Faustdog

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
I don't know about the schools, but the Lake Martin area near Auburn seems nice. It's within a reasonable distance of the Atlanta airport, and you have easy access to Auburn for MSU games.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't know about the schools, but the Lake Martin area near Auburn seems nice. It's within a reasonable distance of the Atlanta airport, and you have easy access to Auburn for MSU games.
Is this something people actually want?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
To watch State play ballgames in person? Idk maybe I'm way off base but I feel like that's pretty popular on this here message board.
Re-read it dumbass. Of all the places listed, I don't think access to Auburn would be high on the list.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I re-read it and it said "access to Auburn for MSU games"
Yeah, so for a football game and baseball series every 2 years (at best going forward with the new schedule, maybe every 4 years), and a basketball game whenever, maybe once a year at best. Man yeah, that checks the boxes.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
If you already lived outside MS, had a telework job, and were looking for a new area why the hell would you pick MS unless you had family.

Our state leadership is narrow minded and full of ****. Tate and those clowns in the state house care NOTHING about bettering MS. They care about themselves and lining the pockets of their buddies.

i am a lifelong Mississippian and about to retire from the state and cant wait to get the hell out. Ive sacrificed and been underpaid for most of my career. We FINALLY have some revenue in this state to do something and you know what the legislature did with it this session? NOTHING. They adjourned while sitting on nearly 1.3 billion in excess revenue. They didnt invest it in this state, its workers, its teachers, its infrastructure. They let hospitals continue to fail and watch insurance and medical costs continue to skyrocket. Tate Reeves vetoes funds for parks, recreation, planetariums, golf courses in cities and towns that he doesnt like because he feels they dont deserve it. How 17d up is that.

Tate Reeves and those in the legislature dont give a rip about the average Mississippian so why should anyone give a crap about this state? You would be a damn FOOL as an outsider to move to MS if you had any other options.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

patdog

May 28, 2007

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Ocean Springs, MS
Fairhope, AL
Murfreesboro, TN (if you love Nashville but don't want to be in a big city)
Alpharetta, GA or vicinity

These are on my list of considerations for my future move. I might add Huntsville or surrounding area. I'm sure there are others, but I'm familiar enough with these to know the quality of life is pretty good.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017

All tater joking aside, you have a lot of good options in that geographic area. Having gone through the where are we going to put our roots down exercise myself not too long ago, there was one overarching thing to think about that we worked through a little slower than I wish we had.

Where do you want the kids to be from?

A suburb?

In the suburbs of DFW my kids had great schools and tons of sports options. And they like sports, but don't love them. They loved going down to the little nasty ditch the city called a creek and splashing around. We also noticed our friends with more than one kid, hardly ever spent time together as a family. One parent took the daughter to volleyball and the other took the son to baseball. 3 nights a week. The sports changed with the calendar, but the divide and conquer approach remained. Youth sports was all consuming for most of them.

We had access to all kinds of other activities within an hour... Pro sports, amusement parks, every restaurant imaginable, all the shopping etc. Airport was close. DFW sucks more than most cities for access to outdoors though. It was basically a 5+ day vacation to go anywhere other than a crappy 2 acre state park on a muddy reservoir for an outdoor experience. I would think suburbs around Nashville, Atlanta, Birmingham, and Huntsville are much closer to good outdoor recreation.

A city?
Before the suburbs we lived in Dallas proper and it was also very scheduled in a different way. It was too damn dangerous to let kids go anywhere on their own so my poor wife was constantly scheduling play dates at parks, museums, dog parks.. I hardly ever went because I was the only man there in a park full of moms and little kids. We also found ourselves just staying home... way too much. We lived a half mile from the biggest park in the city with a 1000 acre lake in the middle of it... But it became unusable. During the weekends it was packed with wannabe Lance Armstrongs on their road bikes and a million runners. During the week it was a good place for women to get raped and one poor guy got killed by a lunatic ex Aggie football player with a machete on the trail right by my house. While we loved the city before kids, you have kids and you notice those gunshots at night aren't that far away, the floater in the lake was some poor dude out for an eventing jog, and then you get to make that choice between terrible public schools or forking out private school tuition. For 99% of us the burbs are by far the lesser of 2 evils.

A small town?
Finally we have landed in a small town. We get to do lots of outdoor things as a family and with other families, but the kids also get to go places on their own by riding the bus home with friends or just hopping on the bike and cruising across town. They get to play all the sports, but they don't have to be consumed with private pitching lessons for an 8 year old all summer. Schools are great and seem to be lacking the helicopter parents that were over-involved in the burbs.

It's the right fit for us, but it's not for everybody. If I had a kid that was into baseball as much as I was a kid, we would maybe prefer the suburbs. If I had 2 girls instead of 2 boys they might prefer the suburbs or maybe even the city.

Ultimately the kids will grow up and head off to college or whatever. When they hit the dorms that freshman year everyone is going to ask where are you from? The answer to that question is going to be a few syllables that represent nearly all of their childhood experiences. When I think about my friends around the country, the vast majority have never moved since taking that first job out of college and many just went back to their hometowns. They just live where they live and the opportunity to mold that childhood experience for their kids is limited in a lot of ways. I was personally always jealous of that, because I grew up as an itinerant. But the nice thing about your situation is you get to pick the experience you want for the kids and put roots down. Not a lot of people get to do that, so make the most of it.

So whether you decided the Florida panhandle or greater Nashville is where you want to be, you still need to figure out if that means in the city, a suburb 30 minutes away, or a small town 1.5 hours away. There is no wrong answer, but just don't be a dubmass like me and move 3 times before you figure it out. Work through the type of place first and it will probably help you pick which metro area/airport you want to be near.

Pro Tip... If you decide its a suburb in Nashville... Scout the shít out of those subdivisions and school districts before you pull the trigger. It's as hot as any place in the country right now for CA refugees and you don't want to deal with that mess. They're like locusts, they swarm entire communities and neighborhoods and leave others untouched. My warning is not about politics either... Left, right, or agnostic, they are all àssholes to the ninth degree.

Last edited:

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
If you're within a couple hours of Hartsfield, it's a lot easier, faster, and cheaper to fly pretty much anywhere in the world than anywhere else in the Southeast.
With commercial service offerings, especially in Mississippi, its certainly easier and faster. I know several folks who drive to ATL from the Golden Triangle for any trip of distance.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
I highly recommend Huntsville. I really enjoyed the three years I was there and wish I was still there, honestly.
I’d stay out of Huntsville proper or Madison….too congested. Go south to Owens crossroads/Hampton cove area. Definitely miss living there

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
i am a lifelong Mississippian and about to retire from the state and cant wait to get the hell out. Ive sacrificed and been underpaid for most of my career.
Then you would be willing to advocate for PERS reform so the state can spend more on its active employees instead of putting more general fund dollars in an antiquated system.
NOTHING. They adjourned while sitting on nearly 1.3 billion in excess revenue. They didnt invest it in this state, its workers, its teachers, its infrastructure.
See note about PERS and the bill that is coming from it next year. They wanted to raise the employer (the state, cities/counties, and schools) contribution to 22% this year, from the already staggering 17%

They did put another $100m in k-12 and $2b into roads.
Tate Reeves vetoes funds for parks, recreation, planetariums, golf courses in cities and towns that he doesnt like because he feels they dont deserve it. How 17d up is that.
The majority of those projects are in the City of Jackson, which CANNOT successfully maintain roads, provide clean water to its residents (or collect money to fund said system), provide adequate safety & security for its residents and visitors, or collect the garbage from residents. Now that's 17ed up. So I, a resident of another city in Mississippi that does those 4 things on its own but has challenges (especially in water/sewer), am expected to fund the city's planetarium when they cannot even pickup the trash or hire enough police?

ETA: I am for Jackson succeeding because it is our Capital City and the one "urban" area our state has that is essential to recruit and retain growth. But until the city can get a better handle on those 4 things and show a plan to do so, there should not be a nickle put into any other areas than those mentioned above.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Ocean Springs, MS
Fairhope, AL
Murfreesboro, TN (if you love Nashville but don't want to be in a big city)
Alpharetta, GA or vicinity

These are on my list of considerations for my future move. I might add Huntsville or surrounding area. I'm sure there are others, but I'm familiar enough with these to know the quality of life is pretty good.
OS is just too dang expensive now, at least in the areas where it makes sense to pay more to be closer rather than just buy something north of I-10. Same for BSL.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Gulf Breeze, Fl. I love it here. Schools are great my car is never locked in my driveway or at stores. Probably a mistake. There isn’t a lot exceptionally close for entertainment but Pensacola is 15 minutes. Destin is 45 when it’s not summer. We go to OWA in Foley which is an amusement park and indoor Waterpark. We are 15 minutes from the beach and you have a choice. If you want a party beach go to Pensacola Beach. If you want a peaceful one go to Navarre. I’ll admit traffic to Navarre can be a pain between May and September. We have PNS and VPS for flights.
NW Florida is truly a good place to live. Great restaurants and amazing beaches. I lived in fort Walton beach for a few years. Loved it. If I moved back, I’d probably go more toward gulf breeze or Pensacola but I wouldn’t mind living in FWB again.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
We travel to Florida a lot because my wife is from Melbourne. There's a little town just south of Columbus, GA called Eufaula, AL that is gorgeous with lots of old antabellum homes, trees over the roads in town, and its on the banks of the Walter F. George Reservoir. It just looks like a great place to retire. You might want to check it out.

Reactions: aTotal360

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
If you're within a couple hours of Hartsfield, it's a lot easier, faster, and cheaper to fly pretty much anywhere in the world than anywhere else in the Southeast.
I want to argue this point with you because I have an avoid at all costs policy for ATL, ORD, DFW, LAX, and now DEN. Those big airports are just a nightmare for parking, baggage, finding a place to relax during delays... really life in general. If Southwest hadn't crapped the bed since Covid you could argue Nashville might be a better airport for most people. It has 100+ nonstops now and doesn't have near the body count that ATL deals with. But man, half of those destinations are Southwest and they are sucking the big one right now.

So I would probably choose flying Delta almost everywhere, even if you do have to deal with the masses at ATL. But if Southwest can get back to their pre-Covid reliability, give me BNA. Flew United out of Nashville in the fall and its the perfect size airport to me. Denver is probably worse than DFW and ATL now when it comes to crowds... Woof.

Reactions: FrontRangeDawg

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
All tater joking aside, you have a lot of good options in that geographic area. Having gone through the where are we going to put our roots down exercise myself not too long ago, there was one overarching thing to think about that we worked through a little slower than I wish we had.

Where do you want the kids to be from?

A suburb?

In the suburbs of DFW my kids had great schools and tons of sports options. And they like sports, but don't love them. They loved going down to the little nasty ditch the city called a creek and splashing around. We also noticed our friends with more than one kid, hardly ever spent time together as a family. One parent took the daughter to volleyball and the other took the son to baseball. 3 nights a week. The sports changed with the calendar, but the divide and conquer approach remained. Youth sports was all consuming for most of them.

We had access to all kinds of other activities within an hour... Pro sports, amusement parks, every restaurant imaginable, all the shopping etc. Airport was close. DFW sucks more than most cities for access to outdoors though. It was basically a 5+ day vacation to go anywhere other than a crappy 2 acre state park on a muddy reservoir for an outdoor experience. I would think suburbs around Nashville, Atlanta, Birmingham, and Huntsville are much closer to good outdoor recreation.

A city?
Before the suburbs we lived in Dallas proper and it was also very scheduled in a different way. It was too damn dangerous to let kids go anywhere on their own so my poor wife was constantly scheduling play dates at parks, museums, dog parks.. I hardly ever went because I was the only man there in a park full of moms and little kids. We also found ourselves just staying home... way too much. We lived a half mile from the biggest park in the city with a 1000 acre lake in the middle of it... But it became unusable. During the weekends it was packed with wannabe Lance Armstrongs on their road bikes and a million runners. During the week it was a good place for women to get raped and one poor guy got killed by a lunatic ex Aggie football player with a machete on the trail right by my house. While we loved the city before kids, you have kids and you notice those gunshots at night aren't that far away, the floater in the lake was some poor dude out for an eventing jog, and then you get to make that choice between terrible public schools or forking out private school tuition. For 99% of us the burbs are by far the lesser of 2 evils.

A small town?
Finally we have landed in a small town. We get to do lots of outdoor things as a family and with other families, but the kids also get to go places on their own by riding the bus home with friends or just hopping on the bike and cruising across town. They get to play all the sports, but they don't have to be consumed with private pitching lessons for an 8 year old all summer. Schools are great and seem to be lacking the helicopter parents that were over-involved in the burbs.

It's the right fit for us, but it's not for everybody. If I had a kid that was into baseball as much as I was a kid, we would maybe prefer the suburbs. If I had 2 girls instead of 2 boys they might prefer the suburbs or maybe even the city.

Ultimately the kids will grow up and head off to college or whatever. When they hit the dorms that freshman year everyone is going to ask where are you from? The answer to that question is going to be a few syllables that represent nearly all of their childhood experiences. When I think about my friends around the country, the vast majority have never moved since taking that first job out of college and many just went back to their hometowns. They just live where they live and the opportunity to mold that childhood experience for their kids is limited in a lot of ways. I was personally always jealous of that, because I grew up as an itinerant. But the nice thing about your situation is you get to pick the experience you want for the kids and put roots down. Not a lot of people get to do that, so make the most of it.

So whether you decided the Florida panhandle or greater Nashville is where you want to be, you still need to figure out if that means in the city, a suburb 30 minutes away, or a small town 1.5 hours away. There is no wrong answer, but just don't be a dubmass like me and move 3 times before you figure it out. Work through the type of place first and it will probably help you pick which metro area/airport you want to be near.

Pro Tip... If you decide its a suburb in Nashville... Scout the shít out of those subdivisions and school districts before you pull the trigger. It's as hot as any place in the country right now for CA refugees and you don't want to deal with that mess. They're like locusts, they swarm entire communities and neighborhoods and leave others untouched. My warning is not about politics either... Left, right, or agnostic, they are all àssholes to the ninth degree.
These are great questions/considerations. I've lived in almost every size city/town in the south, from small, small towns of a couple thousand people in Mississippi to larger towns like Starkville and Tupelo to cities like New Orleans and Lexington. You have to figure out what's important to you and your family right now while also trying to figure out what might be important in 5-10-15 years. Because it's probably going to change.

Obviously everyone's answer will vary but for me and my wife, we figured out that our sweet spot are those small cities that have anywhere from 50,000 to 100,000 or so people. They're big enough that they have things to do (shopping, eating, stuff for kids, etc...) but not so big as to be overwhelming. We've also found that smaller places can be insular and unwelcoming to newcomers while in larger places you can get lost in the crowd. We've found that those small/midsize cities are better for building community if you aren't lucky enough to be close to family.

But your mileage may vary.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login