OT: Moving to Madison area

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Any tips/suggestions for moving to Madison?

I know there’s been threads about the infrastructure issue in Gluckstadt. If hypothetically I was looking to buy a home sometime next year, which direction makes the most sense to buy/build? Relocating for job.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

I know there’s been threads about the infrastructure issue in Gluckstadt. If hypothetically I was looking to buy a home sometime next year, which direction makes the most sense to buy/build? Relocating for job.
If you aren’t looking at public schools move to Ridgeland west of 55 if possible. It’s much better than Madison. Granted it’s an an area in high demand.

Reactions: retire the banner

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
What is your budget and which way to work (north or south)?
We’re selling current home in Desoto County. Plan is to rent for a year then see what the market looks like next summer(I’ve heard a mixed bag of opinions if this is wise). Best estimate would be $425-475k. Working remote first year then will have office built in Ridgeland.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
If you aren’t looking at public schools move to Ridgeland west of 55 if possible. It’s much better than Madison. Granted it’s an an area in high demand.
Like south of Annandale, north of Natchez Trace Pkwy?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
We’re selling current home in Desoto County. Plan is to rent for a year then see what the market looks like next summer(I’ve heard a mixed bag of opinions if this is wise). Best estimate would be $425-475k. Working remote first year then will have office built in Ridgeland.
Sending kids to Public School? Do you want/need much of a yard? If Public Schools aren't an issue, it opens up more options.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
Born and raised there....family still lives there now.....Are you referring to Madison County or Madison the city?

if you are concerned about Gluckstadt, then go West Madison County....Northwest Madison county is the direction of growth and doesnt have the congestion YET....you will have roughly the same housing prices in Madison as you do in Desoto county

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

If I were you, I’d stick to the city of Madison. There are some nice neighborhoods and schools in gluckstadt but I’d imagine the infrastructure issues up there are several years away from being fixed and development is not slowing down. Nothing wrong up there, just growing pains.

Problem you might run into right now is inventory of homes. I’m not sure how many new homes are on the market right now and honestly not a ton of existing homes for sale. I saw below your price point is up to $475k. That may take new homes off the market for you but I could be wrong about that. I’d suggest checking out neighborhoods along rice road in Madison. Lots of older neighborhoods (80’s and 90’s) with homes that may require some renovation, if you don’t mind that.

Last edited:

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017

Here's my philosophy... If you own a home, never get off the carousel. If it speeds up or slows down you are still on it. Think about the poor bastárds that jumped off in 2021... They would have a 40% higher mortgage payment in just a year. Even if it goes down in value, so will the house you want to buy.

That said, I wouldn't expect it to be a huge deal either way in DeSoto or Madison county MS. Places like Austin and Nashville it would be a different story.

Biggest thing is to get the place you want to live in... The house will never be a great investment compared to a few shares of Chevron or Apple... Just make sure you don't live next door to åssholes and it's a win in my book.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
If you're ultimately gonna be traveling to Ridgeland I'd look along Rice Rd, Hoy Rd, Twin Harbor, Old Canton Rd, and Lost Rabbit (if you can afford it). Might extend it to Yandell Rd/Deerfield and 12 Oaks Trace.

Reactions: patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Problem you might run into right now is inventory of homes. I’m not sure how many new homes are on the market right now and honestly not a ton of existing homes for sale. I saw below your price point is up to $475k. That may take new homes off the market for you but I could be wrong about that.

This is accurate. Probably 75% of homeowners in the whole damn country either bought a new home right before or during the COVID boom, or refinanced their existing one in the same time period. All those folks are sitting on rock bottom interest rates and not listing to try and trade up when rates are 7%. And even those in the 25% that just held their old home and rate are still faring way better than if they moved now. As a result, there are very few buyers at anything in the mid-level price range ($450k-$650k at most decent urban areas in the south), and even fewer sellers.

Its honestly not a bad time to buy, IF you can sell your existing home. Because you’ll be able to refinance sometime in the next few years, but home prices are going to skyrocket yet again when rates start dropping. There is still a huge inventory shortage that is going to take several years to correct.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
If you're ultimately gonna be traveling to Ridgeland I'd look along Rice Rd, Hoy Rd, Twin Harbor, Old Canton Rd, and Lost Rabbit (if you can afford it). Might extend it to Yandell Rd/Deerfield and 12 Oaks Trace.
I’d agree with Madison (city) east of I-55.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
We moved to Madison ten years ago and like it ....but not as much as we did ten years ago. If I had it to do over I would be in Flora. It's a bit more expensive and not as convenient to things as Madison or Ridgeland but fewer people and a little slower pace.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
This is accurate. Probably 75% of homeowners in the whole damn country either bought a new home right before or during the COVID boom, or refinanced their existing one in the same time period. All those folks are sitting on rock bottom interest rates and not listing to try and trade up when rates are 7%. And even those in the 25% that just held their old home and rate are still faring way better than if they moved now. As a result, there are very few buyers at anything in the mid-level price range ($450k-$650k at most decent urban areas in the south), and even fewer sellers.

It’s honestly not a bad time to buy, IF you can sell your existing home. Because you’ll be able to refinance sometime in the next few years, but home prices are going to skyrocket yet again when rates start dropping. There is still a huge inventory shortage that is going to take several years to correct.
I refinanced a couple years ago down to a 15 at 2.25%… even if I wanted to, I don’t believe I could justify selling my home.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

Its honestly not a bad time to buy, IF you can sell your existing home. Because you’ll be able to refinance sometime in the next few years, but home prices are going to skyrocket yet again when rates start dropping. There is still a huge inventory shortage that is going to take several years to correct.
Just saw that 70% of owners have a mortgage rate under 4%. So you were dang close.

I think the lock in effect is a little overstated, as selling one home to buy another should not change inventory. I can see realtors bitching about it, as they decreased churn hurts their commissions. And I can see it having local effects, such as making new developments cheaper.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Just saw that 70% of owners have a mortgage rate under 4%. So you were dang close.

I think the lock in effect is a little overstated, as selling one home to buy another should not change inventory. I can see realtors bitching about it, as they decreased churn hurts their commissions. And I can see it having local effects, such as making new developments cheaper.
I get what you’re saying for supply and demand, but just the total lack of inventory has got to be depressing if you’re looking, at least for nice homes. Before Covid, even the most desirable areas would still have a couple of dozen homes across a decent range of prices available. Now there’s 5, none of which are under $550k and only 3 of which are under $1M.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I get what you’re saying for supply and demand, but just the total lack of inventory has got to be depressing if you’re looking, at least for nice homes. Before Covid, even the most desirable areas would still have a couple of dozen homes across a decent range of prices available. Now there’s 5, none of which are under $550k and only 3 of which are under $1M.
Oh definitely. I have been looking to trade up, and the supply of 4+ BR homes is abysmal. Sounds like better options down here on the Coast though.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
A lot of helpful feedback, i appreciate it.

Anyone know why there’s a mass supply of houses for sale around Lake Caroline currently?

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

Anyone know why there’s a mass supply of houses for sale around Lake Caroline currently?
Still a good bit of new construction going on there… plus it’s a really big neighborhood. One thing to keep an eye on in lake Caroline is the school district. Part of that neighborhood is in canton school district and part is Madison county (Germantown).

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

Seems like they are always building around Lake Caroline.

Mid 90s, i got offered a lot on the lake at the "builders price" which i think was around $20k(?). I'm a dumbass.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
Still a good bit of new construction going on there… plus it’s a really big neighborhood. One thing to keep an eye on in lake Caroline is the school district. Part of that neighborhood is in canton school district and part is Madison county (Germantown).
Was talking with a friend who lives there a few months ago. Lake Caroline would be one of the 75 largest "cities" in Mississippi. I think there's something like 1,500 homes and over 3,000 people living there.

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
Shhh don’t tell anyone about TOT

Tall Dawg

Apr 11, 2016
I’ve lived in Gluckstadt on 1.5 acres on a 30 acre lake, about 4 miles west of I-55, for 14 yrs. Absolutely love it out here!!
Some folks on here want to B&M about traffic at times but it’s not that bad and it’s NOT all the time.
Germantown schools are very good as are Madison schools. Come join in the fun!!

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I refinanced a couple years ago down to a 15 at 2.25%… even if I wanted to, I don’t believe I could justify selling my home.

I did the same thing at the same time and got the same rate, except mine is a 20-year (with now 18 years left). And I’m now an idiot in the market….

However, there are pros and cons in any market. The big pros in the current housing market are that patient buyers have a lot more control over the process. Back in 2019 when we got our current place, rates were low and it was already a huge seller’s market in our area, although not nearly what it was once the COVID boom happened. Back then you could get a decent home at a decent price, but where we are you couldn’t do a damn thing until you sold your house. You could absolutely forget about sales contingent offers. What that led to was a lot of people (including ourselves) losing multiple bidding wars and then settling in some aspect of their most desired new home criteria because their clock ran out after selling their home.

Now its the opposite problem. Selling your home at a fair price is extremely difficult. But if you can do it, you have almost no competition for many of the best properties (which are still expensive). The most beneficial part to buyers is that sales contingent offers are actually being accepted again. And, its a zero sum game over the long haul with home prices and interest rates. That $500,000 house you’d love to buy if rates weren’t at 7% is absolutely going to be a $650k house when rates return to 4-4.5%. You aren’t really saving anything by waiting to buy if you are wanting to trade up in some capacity. Can always refi to a lower rate, but you can’t ever change what you paid for the house. So, owners who have no problem with their commute, square footage, lot size, or amenities absolutely should stay locked in. But those who aren’t also shouldn’t be afraid to throw out at least a contingent offer or two, and buckle up for a potential 60-90 day close if that’s what it takes.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Ridgeland is your DMZ buffer from Jackson. Gluckstadt is your DMZ buffer from Canton.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
If you’re working in Madison, I highly recommend moving to Jackson, so you’re getting more house and making a reverse commute

• Haha

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013
You should be able to find something in Cypress Lake with that budget.

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013
I’ve lived in Gluckstadt on 1.5 acres on a 30 acre lake, about 4 miles west of I-55, for 14 yrs. Absolutely love it out here!!
Some folks on here want to B&M about traffic at times but it’s not that bad and it’s NOT all the time.
Germantown schools are very good as are Madison schools. Come join in the fun!!
I lived in Gluckstadt for 9 years and I love the area. I would have no reservations at all about recommending it to someone looking for a house in the Jackson area. But the lack of infrastructure and the traffic is absolutely an issue. There just isn't any getting around that.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I lived in Gluckstadt for 9 years and I love the area. I would have no reservations at all about recommending it to someone looking for a house in the Jackson area. But the lack of infrastructure and the traffic is absolutely an issue. There just isn't any getting around that.
Traffic will get better. The Bozeman Rd. project is starting for real next month. And they're in the process of getting funding to widen I-55 from Madison at least up to Gluckstadt. Of course, that will probably take at least 5 years to get both projects done and it'll be worse before it gets better during construction.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Also, there are some completed homes for sale, and some in various stages of build at the Northshore subdivision in Rankin county on the east side of the reservoir. These homes have access to a community pool and the famed Northshore Elementary if you have small children. Most are between 400 and 450k.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Here's my philosophy... If you own a home, never get off the carousel. If it speeds up or slows down you are still on it. Think about the poor bastárds that jumped off in 2021... They would have a 40% higher mortgage payment in just a year. Even if it goes down in value, so will the house you want to buy.

That said, I wouldn't expect it to be a huge deal either way in DeSoto or Madison county MS. Places like Austin and Nashville it would be a different story.

Biggest thing is to get the place you want to live in... The house will never be a great investment compared to a few shares of Chevron or Apple... Just make sure you don't live next door to åssholes and it's a win in my book.
I just talked to a buddy last night who sold his home for a boatload in Rankin County in 2021. He didn't want to buy so he's been renting ever since (he's lived in two locations since then), and now he's concerned that he's eating up all the equity in rent payments. I didn't want to say this to him, but damn what a stupid decision to not buy and stay on the ferris wheel.

I have a 15-year note at 2.5% right now. I'm on the cusp of making a move to a bigger market, and my goal is to simply get in a house and keep the same mortgage payoff amount, even if it means a higher interest rate and a 30-year note. Oh well, I'm looking to pay the b1tch off anyway, interest rates don't concern me too much.

Last edited:

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
I just talked to a buddy last night who sold his home for a boatload in Rankin County in 2021. He didn't want to buy so he's been renting ever since (he's lived in two locations since then), and now he's concerned that he's eating up all the equity in profits. I didn't want to say this to him, but damn what a stupid decision to not buy and stay on the ferris wheel.

I have a 15-year note at 2.5% right now. I'm on the cusp of making a move to a bigger market, and my goal is to simply get in a house and keep the same mortgage payoff amount, even if it means a higher interest rate and a 30-year note. Oh well, I'm looking to pay the b1tch off anyway, interest rates don't concern me too much.
Don't do it. Stay put and pay it off, and if you get the upgrade bug just do some renovations to your current home. Once you free yourself of that mtg payment the sun shines a little brighter every day.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Don't do it. Stay put and pay it off, and if you get the upgrade bug just do some renovations to your current home. Once you free yourself of that mtg payment the sun shines a little brighter every day.
Not upgrading just to do it. Possibly moving to another city for a better job. And I certainly don't plan on upgrading, I plan to get an equivalent house at best. Again, goal would be to keep payoff amount roughly the same (or a little more, if I'm being realistic).

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login