OT: Mower Help

snowman79

Sep 18, 2012
I have a Husqvarna 48” riding mower. All of a sudden it started dying and wouldn’t crank until you let it sit for a few minutes. I’ve done the following to it:

Changed gas twice
Cleaned tank
Ran Seafoam
Used Carb Cleaner
Changed Fuel Filter
Changed spark plugs
Cleaned mower deck and changed blades

I’ve noticed it runs fine when the blades aren’t engaged. Starts running rough with blades engaged and dies when you hit some tall grass. There’s stuff wound around the spindles. I’ve cleaned those best I could. Not sure what to do.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Only other thing I can think of is it’s not getting enough power. Check your amps, and clean corrosion off the terminals.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Carb needs cleaning up and adjusted/reworked. Just did mine, was doing the same thing. Will probably cost you about $300+ if you take it somewhere.
Might also check the fuel pump.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
How old is the battery?

Some of these mowers need a good battery, regardless of the alternator.

So I've read.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
had the same issue with an older JD zero turn, spent a ton of money on it, never fixed and eventually junked it.

MrKotter

Aug 22, 2012
Check the coils. One of my ZTRs started behaving similar to what you're describing and one of the coils had gone bad.

3000lbchicken

May 1, 2006
There is also a fuel solenoid in the carb that can get stuck. It can prevent enough fuel to run properly or not at all. $10 part. It prevents backfires,

xxxWalkTheDawg

Oct 21, 2005
Is it an in line fuel filter? Take it out and run a direct line. And try that. Those small fuel filters will vapor lock. Especially if it’s one of those flat pancake ones.

if it’s that, part stores sell a fuel filter with a third port that is a vent line. You can install it with the vent port up and it will fix it.

Last edited:

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
If it runs for awhile and then dies after hearing up, good chance it's a cool. If it's dying as soon as you try to use it, fuel/carb related n my experience.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
So without engaging blades, can you go scooting down the road at full throttle without issue? - i.e. plenty of power to move the tractor around, etc. That's the case, then its likely the deck. Check that the belt driving the blades hasn't slipped a pulley and is dragging, that the pulleys spin freely and there isn't a locked bearing, etc.

Much more likely - bad carb. Squirting stuff in there isn't gonna cut it. Get your carb model # and go on Amazon and find you a rebuild kit, then get on YouTube and see if you can find someone competent rebuilding the same or similar one. My bet is that takes care of it.

If it has a ton of hours - might be headgasket is leaking - would get real hot, be hard to start, no power, hard to restart, etc. Find a used mower guy and make a trade.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
There is also a fuel solenoid in the carb that can get stuck. It can prevent enough fuel to run properly or not at all. $10 part. It prevents backfires,

You might want to cut the pin off the solenoid. I did and that has helped my issues. I did readjust my valves and my 3 year old husqvarna has been running pretty well since. Also, take off the carb, take apart and fully clean it. Fuel is horrible these days. if you don't have a shutoff valve on your fuel line, put one on and run it dry (at least before you put it away for the winter). Use ethanol shield, even for non-ethanol gas. In humid climates, water gets into your gas quick.

Sep 15, 2009
I have a Husqvarna 48” riding mower. All of a sudden it started dying and wouldn’t crank until you let it sit for a few minutes. I’ve done the following to it:

Changed gas twice
Cleaned tank
Ran Seafoam
Used Carb Cleaner
Changed Fuel Filter
Changed spark plugs
Cleaned mower deck and changed blades

I’ve noticed it runs fine when the blades aren’t engaged. Starts running rough with blades engaged and dies when you hit some tall grass. There’s stuff wound around the spindles. I’ve cleaned those best I could. Not sure what to do.

Used Carb cleaner..does that mean you took carb off and apart and clean it? Also do you treat your gas with anything? Had a guy that has been in the small engine business for 40 years give me a formula of StarTron fuel treatment and octane booster and I haven't had any issues at all with any of my small engines since doing it. As for going rough when blades are engaged, could be bad spindle bearings

snowman79

Sep 18, 2012
Update: Took engine cover off and got down to the carburetor. It didn’t look like the carbs I had found videos of that were taken apart. I know my limits and didn’t take it off. Put engine cover back on. Cranked it and sprayed some carb cleaner in the intake. Pulled out on the driveway. As soon as I engaged the blades it died and wouldn’t crank. It was picked up this morning to be worked on.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
for lighter lawn care tools, I've found that throwing them down the driveway at maximum velocity solves the issue

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Update: Took engine cover off and got down to the carburetor. It didn’t look like the carbs I had found videos of that were taken apart. I know my limits and didn’t take it off. Put engine cover back on. Cranked it and sprayed some carb cleaner in the intake. Pulled out on the driveway. As soon as I engaged the blades it died and wouldn’t crank. It was picked up this morning to be worked on.

My papaw had a similar problem and set his mower on fire in about 1986. There are some definite pros and cons to this remedy.

kramer_192

Sep 15, 2012
Check spindles. Take off belts and try to spin blades. If they do not spin with zero drag it is your spindle. Usually 3 bolts replaces them.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
You're gonna need some pliers and a set of thirty-weight ball bearings. It's all ball bearings these days.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login