OT: Music of the country variety

Status
Not open for further replies.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Yeah I can see it now. Jimbo looks at Earl and says, “Earl, I sure do like the way you work that pick axe. Give me some sugar.”

Ridiculous songwriting topic, and I don’t think it was a smart business decision.

Unnecessary wokeness, generally doesn’t yield high earnings, especially for a customer base like his.

Last edited:

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Pop Tv Please GIF by Schitt's Creek

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Yeah I can see it now. Jimbo looks at Earl and says, “Earl, I sure do like the way you work that pick axe. Give me some sugar.”

Ridiculous songwriting topic, and I don’t think it was a smart business decision.

Unnecessary wokeness, generally doesn’t yield high earnings, especially for a customer base like his.
You don't listen to him if you think him being progressive is a new stance...

Next you'll be upset about Willie, Johnny, and Kriss...

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017

Sounds like you don't follow him closely and didn't listen to his Long Violent History album. He has always leaned left politically.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Sounds like you don't follow him closely and didn't listen to his Long Violent History album. He has always leaned left politically.
Almost all these "Yellowstone" guys do for the most part. Zach Bryan, Jason Isbell (Who had a great Twitter fight with Jake Owens recently), Childers, etc. etc.
Seems like country music has had a lot of "controversy" lately.

Last edited:

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012

It’ll be heralded as “groundbreaking” and “progressive” and he’ll get sales from people who ordinarily wouldn’t buy his stuff. Then when his traditional base doesn’t get onboard because they can’t relate to the progressive subject-matter, it’ll be determined that it’s due to “homophobia”. It’s a win-win for TC!

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
It’ll be heralded as “groundbreaking” and “progressive” and he’ll get sales from people who ordinarily wouldn’t buy his stuff. Then when his traditional base doesn’t get onboard because they can’t relate to the progressive subject-matter, it’ll be determined that it’s due to “homophobia”. It’s a win-win for TC!
I don't think his "traditional base" is what you think it is. Most of those type of people would say his music is "not real country music"

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I don’t understand the outrage over this. I’ve long listened to Tyler Childers and never once thought he was a conservative. Nor do I really care.
Yeah, I don't care. I just like good music. Maybe Bud Light sponsors these guys. Just found it interesting that one part of country music is getting smoked for the Aldean video, then there's this "taboo" country video with two dudes rolling round. Wide divide of the genre. I'm surprised those boys would try that in a small town too.

Last edited:
Reactions: WrightGuy821

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I'm getting pretty tired of hearing companies, musicians, actors, talk show hosts, newscasters, etc. etc. etc. personal views expressed on current affairs without anyone asking for them. It's getting really hard to find anything to watch or listen to anymore that doesn't slant one way or the other and get shoved down your throat. I'm running out of stations and performers to turn off

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I'm getting pretty tired of hearing companies, musicians, actors, talk show hosts, newscasters, etc. etc. etc. personal views expressed on current affairs without anyone asking for them. It's getting really hard to find anything to watch or listen to anymore that doesn't slant one way or the other and get shoved down your throat. I'm running out of stations and performers to turn off
Lawrence Welk is ready when you are.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I'm sorry this is happening to you.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I thought this was going to be about Sturgill Simpson in Righteous Gemstomes. I felt like an idiot when I watched episode 8 and didn’t recognize him in 7.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I thought this was going to be about Sturgill Simpson in Righteous Gemstomes. I felt like an idiot when I watched episode 8 and didn’t recognize him in 7.
He did a pretty decent job acting.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Yeah that new country artist Woodie Guthrie (along with the aforementioned Willie, Kriss, and Johnny) really should stop getting so political.

It's even invaded Rock. Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, U2, Rage against the machine, the dead kennedys, REM, the clash,

It's completely taken over Rap, Blues, and Jazz, all that is political.

It's almost like that's the whole point of music...

What you mean to say is you are tired of options that are not like yours, or satire you think is like your opinion I.e., Born in the USA, The Fightin' Side of Me, Okie from Muskogee)

Last edited:

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Yeah that new country artist Woodie Guthrie (along with the aforementioned Willie, Kriss, and Johnny) really should stop getting so political.

It's even invaded Rock. Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, U2, Rage against the machine, the dead kennedys, REM, the clash,

What you mean to say is you are tired of options that are not like yours, or satire you think is like your opinion I.e., Born in the USA, The Fightin' Side of Me, Okie from Muskogee)
I agree with you. It's actually been interesting to see the saturation point reached in music and other social areas. One could make the case that just as you indicated above - basically every genre started out as a 'rage against the machine' (the social anarchist theory, not the band) - eventually the genre and artists are so deeply saturated and aligned with each other and the political elites, that there has to be a rebound effect. Hip hop started as an underground street-based music for the people (talking about the plight of the neighborhood, housing, gangs, drugs, F the police, etc.) but it's grown to become the mainstream.

Saying you're pro-American, Christian, pro-police, etc. is the rebel/anti-establishment position now. Look at all the blowback Aldean has had over his song. It's the same in Hollywood, sports, etc. It took guts for Jonathan Isaac to stand up for the national anthem for example, because there's so much social pressure from the mainstream establishment/team ownership/social media to kneel. It's definitely been interesting.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Saying you're pro-American, Christian, pro-police, etc. is the rebel/anti-establishment position now. Look at all the blowback Aldean has had over his song. It's the same in Hollywood, sports, etc. It took guts for Jonathan Isaac to stand up for the national anthem for example, because there's so much social pressure from the mainstream establishment/team ownership/social media to kneel. It's definitely been interesting.
Justin Timberlake Eye Roll GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Look at all the blowback Aldean has had over his song.
Do you mean the massive amount of singles purchases and the tons of fans he probably gained? He should probably thank the outrage police because he is laughing all the way to the bank.
Media and Twitter aren’t real life. Record sales and concert sales are.
It’s the unfettered access and social media that makes us realize how these people think now. They have always been that way now we know every detail about every song within a week of it coming out.
The Police’s Every Breath You Take was played at every wedding in the 80’s. We didn’t know what the song was about because the internet didn’t exist. 20 years later we find out it’s about a stalker. We would know that in 2 weeks now.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
I agree with you. It's actually been interesting to see the saturation point reached in music and other social areas. One could make the case that just as you indicated above - basically every genre started out as a 'rage against the machine' (the social anarchist theory, not the band) - eventually the genre and artists are so deeply saturated and aligned with each other and the political elites, that there has to be a rebound effect. Hip hop started as an underground street-based music for the people (talking about the plight of the neighborhood, housing, gangs, drugs, F the police, etc.) but it's grown to become the mainstream.

No. That's not what I'm saying at all...

I'm saying that Music has always been like it is now. With Irving Berlin writing and singing "God Bless America" and Woody Guthrie writing " this land is your land". There have always been those saying this is my opinion. you don't notice those you agree with or that you think agree with you.

What has happened now is that many think that those expressing their "Values" that are not Christian, WASP, Patriarchal, are "forcing it on me!!!". When in reality it's the other way now.

As for politics in music, Beethoven's 3rd is political (it's anti Napoleon).

And it's absurd that you think "pro-American, Christian, pro-police, etc. is the rebel/anti-establishment ".... It is the establishment.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

Did you miss these parts?

doesn't slant one way or the other and get shoved down your throat."

companies, musicians, actors, talk show hosts, newscasters, etc. etc. etc. personal views

I don't care if they are Republican or Democrat. I don't care if they are gay or straight, she/her, him/he, what their song is supporting or comdemning. I just DON'T WANT TO KNOW what their personal crap is about, and I don't know why they think we do?

Do you want to know if I'm married or single? If I have a child that identifies as a something other than what you see them as? Do you really want to see my email or Twitter signature with he/him or they/them/their at the end of it? Hell no you don't because you don't care. That is my point, it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with what you said about it "not agreeing with options that are not like mine" It has everything to do with them thinking that I give a damn or shat about their personal life and that I want to hear all of the dirty details. If they want to throw it out there for the world to see then they are more than welcome to, but, they need to be willing to accept the fact that there are people that don't want to hear it and will turn them off, literally for it

Last edited:

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Did you miss these parts?

doesn't slant one way or the other and get shoved down your throat."

companies, musicians, actors, talk show hosts, newscasters, etc. etc. etc. personal views

I don't care if they are Republican or Democrat. I don't care if they are gay or straight, she/her, him/he, what their song is supporting or comdemning. I just DON'T WANT TO KNOW what their personal crap is about, and I don't know why they think we do?

Do you want to know if I'm married or single? If I have a child that identifies as a something other than what you see them as? Do you really want to see my email or Twitter signature with he/him or they/them/their at the end of it? Hell no you don't because you don't care. That is my point, it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with what you said about it "not agreeing with options that are not like mine" It has everything to do with them thinking that I give a damn or shat about their personal life and that I want to hear all of the dirty details. If they want to throw it out there for the world to see then they are more than welcome to, but, they need to be willing to accept the fact that there are people that don't want to hear it and will turn them off, literally for it
I didn't.
I directly addressed that point with examples.
The people i listed all produced popular music with a slant that is a personal view of the artist....

And all of them i listed expressed a slant at is/was unpopular or anti-establishment....

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
much like my stanch with Target and Bud Light, I was already boycotting Country Music (anything past Willie, Waylon and boys).

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
And it's absurd that you think "pro-American, Christian, pro-police, etc. is the rebel/anti-establishment ".... It is the establishment.

right right right.gif

Gosh I must have misunderstood what you were saying and thought the complete opposite and disagree vehemently. My mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login