OT: Nashville

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
I'm planning a family trip to Nashville for spring break the week of March 11. Never been there. It will be 4 adults over 21 years of age.

Looking for SPS recommendations for things to do, places to stay, places to eat, etc. We'll probably do a day trip to Lynchburg for a tour of the Jack Daniel's distillery, but other than that it's wide open.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Check the Ryman’s schedule. Spend a day or evening out in Franklin. Not sure if you’re into guitars, but Carter Vintage, Artisan & Gruhn Guitars are all in town. No telling what you might see in those places.

Restaurants: Butcher & Bee, the Chef and I, Catbird Seat. There’s several good spots out in Franklin too.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
21 and older you will have ZERO issues finding anything to do on or around Broadway. JD is a pretty good hop away from Nashville and honestly it’s very underwhelming. The most amazing thing about the JD Distillary is that it’s so small and simple.

Reactions: SchrodingersDawg

LandArchDawg

Sep 14, 2003
Martin's BBQ and Arnold's Country Kitchen for food. Pegleg Porker is okay. We like visiting Cheekwood when we are there. I think Fort Negley has recently been redesigned as a cool park near the center of town.

5 Points and East End is a cool area with neat local eats. The south side neighborhoods east of Vanderbilt are also neat. Grab breakfast at Pancake Pantry one morning.

Last edited:

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Martin's BBQ and Arnold's Country Kitchen for food. Pegleg Porker is okay. We like visiting Cheekwood when we are there. I think Fort Negley has recently been redesigned as a cool park near the center of town.

5 Points and East End is a cool area with neat local eats. The south side neighborhoods east of Vanderbilt are also neat. Grab breakfast at Pancake Panty one morning.
What kind of syrup do you get with those pancake panties? I’m going to need more information before I try to convince the wife.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Arnold’s is fantastic and reopens today after being closed for a year.

Who knows how long they’ll be at their OG location? Speculation is that they’ll sell the property and relocate someplace.

lowdawg

Sep 3, 2012
Food - east nash has some gems like Pig and Pelican, Once upon a time in France, Hearts for brunch. Fifth and Broadway food hall when near Broadway. I love monells.

music - suggestions above are good. Roberts western world has best musicians on Broadway. Tim andrews band at Rippys is a fun 80s night.

activities- house of cards, lots of speakeasys to find. Country cirque de soliel is coming in June, preds or soccer game, game terminal is a trip back to 80s, Puttshack and pins mechanical

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I'm planning a family trip to Nashville for spring break the week of March 11. Never been there. It will be 4 adults over 21 years of age.

Looking for SPS recommendations for things to do, places to stay, places to eat, etc. We'll probably do a day trip to Lynchburg for a tour of the Jack Daniel's distillery, but other than that it's wide open.
Round 2 - i had a minute to think (I'm in Nashville a lot)

https://www.updownarcadebar.com/nashville/

https://redheadedstrangertacos.com/

https://www.alleytapsnashville.com/ (live music in a small venue on Printer's Alley)

http://www.bourbonstreetblues.com/ (another cool venue on Printer's Alley)

https://smithhousenashville.com/ (upscale dining, cool setting)

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Where is the best area to stay as far as hotels?
That’s a loaded question. I live here. Downtown is going to r@pe your wallet more than other locations especially if the tourney is happening that week. But if you’re determined to stay in that area, go with The Graduate. Cool Springs may be a safer bet if you don’t like the prices downtown or on West End.
-don’t do JD unless you’re just dying to go there. There’s too many other distilleries here in Nashville/Franklin to try.
-don’t do Pancake Pantry/Panty. It’s a tourist trap where you’ll wait for…just pancakes.Do try Loveless though. Try Puckett’s in downtown FRANKLIN not Nashville.
-try Martin’s BBQ. They’re MSU supporters.
-try Ladybird Tacos.
-try anything in downtown Franklin. You won’t feel like a sore thumb like you will in hipster East Nashville. They’ve got great restaurants down there. There’s even a new speakeasy which is really great.
-try the Country Music HoF, Cheekwood, Top Golf, but avoid Broadway unless you like tourist traps. Do see if anyone is playing at the Ryman.
-get seats for The Bluebird Cafe. That’s a piece of old Nashville.
-check out Leipers Fork just outside Franklin off the Natchez Trace. It’s a neat spot especially for the women. There’s a great distillery there as well.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Depends. I always recommend either Green Hill’s or Vandy as option #1, because you can walk around like it’s a big city at semi-reasonable prices. Downtown can be crazy expensive, and there’s always something going on. You won’t be spending a ton of time in your room anyways. So, I’d save some $ for a nicer dinner or Preds Game.

Brentwood / Franklin will offer up plenty of places. The Hilton Brentwood is nice and usually at a decent price. Plenty of places to stay out by the airport for a cheap deal too.

Last edited:

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
We live fairly close to Nashville so go there somewhat regularly. Franklin is a good place to spend the day. We typically go to the Opry and also the General Jackson riverboat (but it may not be operating as early as March 11). If your wife likes shopping, there's the big Opry Mills mall and Cool Springs on the south side. It all depends what you enjoy doing, and if you're young enough to stand the pace.

Unless you want a fancy hotel, we usually stay at the Hilton Gardens/Airport that's just off the Briley Parkway. It's nice and not close enough to the airport that the noise is an issue.

22yardpunt

Dec 20, 2009

if you’re going to JD might as well check out the George Dickel distillery too. It can be on the way to or from JD and has more of the “down in the holler” feel to it.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022

Better get hotel reservations now and be prepared to drop some $$$$ on it.
Downtown is the Ryman, do that tour. Johnny Cash Museum is good.
Bars on Broadway with live music.
Tootsies is an icon, Roberts Western Wear and get a fried bologn sandwich and a PBR.
Honky Tonk Central has some good music as well.
Patterson House - speakeasy around Music Row.
Ellingtons - rooftop bar downtown.
Merchants for dinner on Broadway.
The Southern is fantastic but get reservations.
Skulls Rainbow Room for some fine Prime Rib in Printers Alley
Hattie B’s for some hot chicken at lunch.
If you want some great comfort food for lunch, a great meat and 3 is Wendell Smiths but it’s a bit of a drive just west of Nashville
Peg Leg Porker, Edleys or Martin’s for BBQ
55 South if you’re down in Franklin or Brentwood.
Pucketts in Franklin
For sushi - Sambuca in the Gulch area or Samauri Sushi is also very good out past Music Row and close to West End Avenue

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022

5 Points and East End is a cool area with neat local eats. The south side neighborhoods east of Vanderbilt are also neat. Grab breakfast at Pancake Pantry one morning.
Arnold’s is closed

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I recommend staying downtown to experience Nashville..... if you are on a budget...next best option is Vanderbilt area or Green hills.

Or there is the Gaylord Opry Mills hotel.

The Embassy Suites downtown is awesome. There is a new JW Marriott downtown that is awesome too.

A few things I haven't seen mentioned..........
In Green Hills is the Blue BIrd Cafe. If you like county music, check it out. Tickets go on sale 6 days in advance, youll have to buy on the day they become available because they sell out fast.

I like Country music, so I enjoyed the Country music Hall of Fame, the "new" Grand Ole Opry and the Ryman.

If you are downtown and need a lunch break, Corner Pub is a sports bar but has great blue plate specials.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2012

If you are interested in Distilleries, you might try the George Dickel in Tullahoma. ( Used to be closed on the weekend so you might check) and Pritchards in Kelso 20 miles south of Jack Daniels. Pritchards has the most liberal tasting room. you could make a day of it.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
If you are interested in Distilleries, you might try the George Dickel in Tullahoma. ( Used to be closed on the weekend so you might check) and Pritchards in Kelso 20 miles south of Jack Daniels. Pritchards has the most liberal tasting room. you could make a day of it.
Does JD have a tasting room, other than the one for "Squires"? As a squire, I own 1 square inch of JD property and occasionally get some sort of funny letter from them about my plans for the property, zoning requests, etc.

BigDogFan

Oct 12, 2016
Game Terminal is a great if you want to play some video games and pinball. I think they open at 3 or 4 and it's free for the video games. Pinball is either 50 cents or a dollar per play. They have a bar and have some decent bar food. 21 and older at night. They have a courtyard out back with large TVs and cornhole. Great way to kill a few hours if you played games in the 80s.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
21 and older you will have ZERO issues finding anything to do on or around Broadway. JD is a pretty good hop away from Nashville and honestly it’s very underwhelming. The most amazing thing about the JD Distillary is that it’s so small and simple.
We're looking at a Chattanooga trip for Spring Break and I was just looking into a JD distillery side trip. I've done distillery tours before so less interested in following some guide and looking at sour mash vats, but do they have a tasting tour, good gift shop, i.e. "other stuff" there that make it worth going to?

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
If you want to stay in downtown, look at the Holston House - it's right in the middle of town, walkable to Broadway, Bridgestone, Nissan, etc. It's nice and fairly reasonable. But I would do it soon.

Jrobb

May 26, 2020
We live about 30 minutes out of Nashville but we airbnb about 1-2 times a month in town just to go out to eat and have grown up time. We usually find really nice places to stay in east Nashville and it’s way cheaper than hotels downtown. It’s only a 5-10 minute Uber ride.

Jrobb

May 26, 2020
We're looking at a Chattanooga trip for Spring Break and I was just looking into a JD distillery side trip. I've done distillery tours before so less interested in following some guide and looking at sour mash vats, but do they have a tasting tour, good gift shop, i.e. "other stuff" there that make it worth going to?
Yes they do. It’s worth the trip if you aren’t far away in my opinion. There are a few shops in Lynchburg too.

lazlow

Jul 9, 2009
I avoid broadway like the plague unless I'm attending my annual predz game or SECMT.

Germantown area (not far from downtown) has some cool neighborhood pubs & restraunts (5th & Taylor et al). Also Mockingbird in North Gulch.

honorable mention: PIN mechanical is kinda cool for an hour or two. Lots of construction in that area.

12 South/Belmont area has some cool pubs.

If I'm downtown doing TPAC, usually have drinks / dinner @ Fairlane Hotel (Ellington's). Sinatra B&L was ok.

prdubya

Nov 29, 2017
I live in Nashville, will try not to echo things others have said...

Hotels:
Prepare your wallet... places that are a little bit cheaper could be along West End Ave (There's a few Marriott brands, a Double Tree and a Hilton Garden Inn in Midtown). Still super close to Broadway and a bit quieter for getting some sleep too.
There's an Extended Stay America that may be closer to a residence inn near 440 / West End if you wanted to try that to save some $.
The JW Marriott, Westin or Omni probably the nicest in downtown area if $ grows on your trees.

Activities:
Definitely find a show at the Ryman. Awesome experience.
Had a friend come for work one time and they did a riverboat for a dinner cruise. TBD on if that would be your speed. Food probably forgettable.
The Frist Art Museum usually has some cool rotating exhibits. One time they had a classic car one, and one time there was an Art Deco style / design exhibit that I missed. Close to downtown, so you could be downtown without Broadway-ing
Preds Hockey - someone else mentioned, but it's a lot of fun. You don't have to be a big hockey fan to go, and it's WAY better live than it is on TV
Goo Goo Cluster Factory - candy shop where you can make your own Goo Goo Cluster
Country Music Hall of Fame - If you don't go into the museum itself (lots of "old country", less new "bro country" thank goodness), definitely poke your head in to check out Hatch Show Print. They make a bunch of old letterpress prints that are neat to look at. Make sure you go check out the "art gallery" closer to 4th avenue too, not just the storefront area (art gallery has larger format, more $$$ art that's neat to look at; storefront has smaller, think 11x17" type, prints with things that are more souvenirs)
If wives / GFs coming with, they'll probably enjoy a day shopping the girly boutiques in 12 South area.

Food:
Downtown/close:
mostly forgettable, but there are some places to check out...
Someone mentioned D'Andrews... not far from my office and a very solid breakfast / lunch spot
There's a Puckett's downtown (southern / meat n 3 type)
Arnolds (better meat n 3)
Kayne Prime (if you want to go $$$$ on a steakhouse, this is your spot)
12 South:
Embers Ski Lodge has great wings
Buttermilk Ranch is the "new" pancake pantry and can have a shorter line
Five Daughters bakery has "cronuts" (think a cross between the layers of a croissant and donut; has fillings)
Urban Grub (grill / a touch fancier)
East Nashville:
Others mentioned Butcher and Bee. Really Good.
I also like Red Headed Stranger for tacos (more Tex-mex style... really really good Tortillas)
Joyland is Sean Brock's fast casual burger / diner like concept that's really good and reasonably priced / faster.
People rave about Pharmacy burger and Mas Taco... the food is okay, but the ambiance when the weather is nice are the real sellers.
I personally don't love 5 points pizza, but you'll hear some people suggest. If going for pizza, go to Roberta's at Urban Cowboy Public House in East. Really good pizza and a cool bar. Get the pepperoni rolls with your pizza because they are delish.
Other options:
L&L Market on Charlotte has a little brewery, a conveyor charcuterie belt place for the ladies, and Penne Pazze for some really good Italian food.
Other Italian that's a little off the beaten trail would be Coco's Italian Market on 51st Ave and Pastaria in One City (Charlotte Ave just inside of 440)
If you need a good cheap meal, McDougal's Chicken fingers is just outside of downtown on 12th Ave S and really good.
BBQ ideas:
Others have mentioned Martins, and they are indeed State supporters. Have a '21 Natty banner in the location downtown. Really like their Ribs at Martins
Peg Leg Porker will have a long line, but generally worth the wait. Ribs or Pork sando here.
Shotgun Willie's is on my list as it's a TX style brisket place, but it's only open lunch hours. Everyone raves about it.
Central BBQ has a location near Vandy if you have been in Memphis and want their stuff again. Good, but not a true "Nashville" pick...
Edley's has multiple locations and is your best all-rounder type player. The turkey is phenomenal, the brisket tacos are a hit and my personal favorite is the Kermit pork sandwich (topped with a few fried pickles and some jalapeno ranch). Definitely get the banana pudding as one of your two sides here. Won't regret it!

prdubya

Nov 29, 2017
Forgot music...
Someone else said Listening room cafe and Bluebird Cafe. Both are phenomenal. Be online right as tickets open and try for Bluebird first as that is the best experience. I think it's 8am six days before the show Monday before the weekend shows).
Other option would be Station Inn in the gulch. Always a good time there.

Jrobb

May 26, 2020
I live in Nashville, will try not to echo things others have said...

Hotels:
Prepare your wallet... places that are a little bit cheaper could be along West End Ave (There's a few Marriott brands, a Double Tree and a Hilton Garden Inn in Midtown). Still super close to Broadway and a bit quieter for getting some sleep too.
There's an Extended Stay America that may be closer to a residence inn near 440 / West End if you wanted to try that to save some $.
The JW Marriott, Westin or Omni probably the nicest in downtown area if $ grows on your trees.

Activities:
Definitely find a show at the Ryman. Awesome experience.
Had a friend come for work one time and they did a riverboat for a dinner cruise. TBD on if that would be your speed. Food probably forgettable.
The Frist Art Museum usually has some cool rotating exhibits. One time they had a classic car one, and one time there was an Art Deco style / design exhibit that I missed. Close to downtown, so you could be downtown without Broadway-ing
Preds Hockey - someone else mentioned, but it's a lot of fun. You don't have to be a big hockey fan to go, and it's WAY better live than it is on TV
Goo Goo Cluster Factory - candy shop where you can make your own Goo Goo Cluster
Country Music Hall of Fame - If you don't go into the museum itself (lots of "old country", less new "bro country" thank goodness), definitely poke your head in to check out Hatch Show Print. They make a bunch of old letterpress prints that are neat to look at. Make sure you go check out the "art gallery" closer to 4th avenue too, not just the storefront area (art gallery has larger format, more $$$ art that's neat to look at; storefront has smaller, think 11x17" type, prints with things that are more souvenirs)
If wives / GFs coming with, they'll probably enjoy a day shopping the girly boutiques in 12 South area.

Food:
Downtown/close:
mostly forgettable, but there are some places to check out...
Someone mentioned D'Andrews... not far from my office and a very solid breakfast / lunch spot
There's a Puckett's downtown (southern / meat n 3 type)
Arnolds (better meat n 3)
Kayne Prime (if you want to go $$$$ on a steakhouse, this is your spot)
12 South:
Embers Ski Lodge has great wings
Buttermilk Ranch is the "new" pancake pantry and can have a shorter line
Five Daughters bakery has "cronuts" (think a cross between the layers of a croissant and donut; has fillings)
Urban Grub (grill / a touch fancier)
East Nashville:
Others mentioned Butcher and Bee. Really Good.
I also like Red Headed Stranger for tacos (more Tex-mex style... really really good Tortillas)
Joyland is Sean Brock's fast casual burger / diner like concept that's really good and reasonably priced / faster.
People rave about Pharmacy burger and Mas Taco... the food is okay, but the ambiance when the weather is nice are the real sellers.
I personally don't love 5 points pizza, but you'll hear some people suggest. If going for pizza, go to Roberta's at Urban Cowboy Public House in East. Really good pizza and a cool bar. Get the pepperoni rolls with your pizza because they are delish.
Other options:
L&L Market on Charlotte has a little brewery, a conveyor charcuterie belt place for the ladies, and Penne Pazze for some really good Italian food.
Other Italian that's a little off the beaten trail would be Coco's Italian Market on 51st Ave and Pastaria in One City (Charlotte Ave just inside of 440)
If you need a good cheap meal, McDougal's Chicken fingers is just outside of downtown on 12th Ave S and really good.
BBQ ideas:
Others have mentioned Martins, and they are indeed State supporters. Have a '21 Natty banner in the location downtown. Really like their Ribs at Martins
Peg Leg Porker will have a long line, but generally worth the wait. Ribs or Pork sando here.
Shotgun Willie's is on my list as it's a TX style brisket place, but it's only open lunch hours. Everyone raves about it.
Central BBQ has a location near Vandy if you have been in Memphis and want their stuff again. Good, but not a true "Nashville" pick...
Edley's has multiple locations and is your best all-rounder type player. The turkey is phenomenal, the brisket tacos are a hit and my personal favorite is the Kermit pork sandwich (topped with a few fried pickles and some jalapeno ranch). Definitely get the banana pudding as one of your two sides here. Won't regret it!
There’s stuff on here I didn’t even know about and I have been here for 17 yrs. It’s growing so fast and new restaurants popping up everywhere

Aug 23, 2012
Does JD have a tasting room, other than the one for "Squires"? As a squire, I own 1 square inch of JD property and occasionally get some sort of funny letter from them about my plans for the property, zoning requests, etc.
Yes strictly one shot per customer and I think cost $1. I might be getting this part confused with Woodford.

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012

I'll second Martin's. I end up spending a few hours on the top floor of the downtown location whenever I go.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login