OT: New Music Thread

be cocky

Joined Jan 29, 2019 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 21, 2022
Hopefully this doesn't hijack the thread too much, but while we're at it...

Musical artists with ties to USC:

• Darius Rucker (attended undergrad)
  • Hootie and the Blowfish (all members attended undergrad)
  • Amos Lee (undergrad)
  • Toro y Moi (undergrad)
  • Washed Out (grad)

Who else have we had of national significance?
crossfade, had the opportunity to hang out with ed sloan the night after their letterman gig.

mUSiC-man

Jan 20, 2022
As far as I knew they stopped recording music in 1979. Enjoy sampling this new stuff. Thanks.

Creek Snake

Feb 16, 2022
Here are a couple of Hippie groups I've been listening to lately. Dope Lemon, Skin Shape, Angus and Julia Stone(which angus is Dope Lemon);
also revisiting Washed out- Paracosm is a great background, get some admin done listen. My buddy is reading a book called The 1000 Albums You Must Listen To Before You Die. He spotify links me the albums and sends out the origins of the groups and their influences on their sound and previous bands they played with. Pretty interesting stuff. It references many of the albums I listened to in College: King Crimson, Dire Straits, Allman Brothers, New York Dolls, Velvet Underground, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young, etc... But almost always the albums you never heard on radio- first albums or obscure ones that might not have broken through the glass ceiling yet. But it also includes lots international stuff I've never heard before that are amazing: two in particular Hawk Wind (album Space Ritual), and a group called Can (album Tago Mago) Both trippy psychedelic stuff. good to work out to.
More recently I've burned through complete works of the following: Fleet Foxes, Lord Huron, Ben Howard, Andrew Belle, City and Colour, Radio Head, Feist, Stereophonics, and lot of The Grateful Dead. There are two more to mention: Foals (what went Down album) and Khraungbin-The bassist, Laura Lee is a freaking Neutron Star for the eyes.
if you want to see some cool performances Youtube Later with Jools Holland- some all time great performances there and Tiny Desk Concerts- good stuff. enjoy

I love Lord Huron....First heard of them watching Longmire...

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
A little off topic here, we watched Almost Famous again last, what a great movie and incredible soundtrack! So many great parts played in that movie, I just thought the whole time the kid is touring with the band how much fun would that be and even better to be in a band that came from nowhere to making the cover of Rollling Stone in that era! One line that really hit me, Philip Seymore Hoffman talking to the kid about writing about Rock and Roll and saying too bad you missed it, it was 1973, he was pretty much right! Oh, and damn YES was good!

Slim Chickens Gamecock

Feb 2, 2022
I can't find any more recent live videos of it, but this track from Strange Trails is what got me hooked.'

IMHO there isn't a bad track on the album.

A true fan- thanks for sharing the live segment. Love it!! have you listened to any Dope Lemon. Look up Honey Bones or Stone Cutter. good tunes Honey Bones video aint bad either

Slim Chickens Gamecock

Feb 2, 2022
A little off topic here, we watched Almost Famous again last, what a great movie and incredible soundtrack! So many great parts played in that movie, I just thought the whole time the kid is touring with the band how much fun would that be and even better to be in a band that came from nowhere to making the cover of Rollling Stone in that era! One line that really hit me, Philip Seymore Hoffman talking to the kid about writing about Rock and Roll and saying too bad you missed it, it was 1973, he was pretty much right! Oh, and damn YES was good!

Awesome film- how bout Crudup on the roof- "Im a golden God", and "im on drugs" and then he jumps

Reactions: Cackmandu

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login