OT New Starkville restaurant

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I believe it was the group that owns Tyler and Bin 612
It was the same and they are 0-2 in that building so far. They ruined a really good City Bagel when they bought it and evidently did the same with Humble Taco.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
City Bagel was great and busy, no idea why they messed with that.
I would imagine because waking up at 4 am to make bagels that earn you terrible return isn't a good business model. They made more money on their pasta night than they did at any other time slot, I would imagine. Either way, City Bagel was always kind of blah to me, before and after Ty and Bryan owned it.

Now Humble, just wasn't that good. Sometimes you just want a regular taco, quick grab food with a good atmosphere.

I am very excited by Blutos though. I will be going there for lunch today as a matter of fact. I hope it pans out, because I need a good lunch spot.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
I will add, Humble and Bagel had terrible unpredictable hours from a person that randomly wants food.
I have a rule. If it is 2 or 6 pm on a random week day and I want food and I drive or walk over to your restaurant and you are randomly closed..... I will never consider your business as an option again. I am sorry, but you have to be open and serving every single day. The Grille and Harvey's understands this.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I would imagine because waking up at 4 am to make bagels that earn you terrible return isn't a good business model. They made more money on their pasta night than they did at any other time slot, I would imagine. Either way, City Bagel was always kind of blah to me, before and after Ty and Bryan owned it.
Idiotic take, Beagle Begel enters the chat. Long-established, very successful eateries in two of the highest-rent places in the 'Sip

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Idiotic take, Beagle Begel enters the chat. Long-established, very successful eateries in two of the highest-rent places in the 'Sip
And City Bagel was fine for years w/out Italian. The biggest mistake TY's group made w/ City Bagel was the manager (heavy set guy w/ glasses) that was a total a*hole and didn't have any damns to give if anybody liked it or not. I heard it over and over again from multiple people, that guy was horrible.
I quit going after a Saturday morning when I had just placed my order and the guy in the kitchen area loudly announced that all new orders would be about 30-40 minutes (sounds like they were unprepared, on a Saturday maybe). I had already placed my to go order, paid, and was looking at my 2 bagels sitting in the display cabinet, already cooked and just needed to be bagged. That manager quit taking orders. I told him my 2 were sitting right there in the display and he said "you heard the man, 30 minutes". That was it, I demanded my money back and never went again.

Reactions: msu4ever

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
The Folks that have Taste opened a Greek restaurant where the city Bagel was.....it was very good , very reasonable, and well worth a try ...they did a nice job.I'll be back .
Prior to this opening there were no Greek or Mediterranean restaurants in Vegas?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Greek selection in Starkville is bleak unless you consider dry white chicken strips to be Greek. You can get a Mediterranean salad, a gyro and some humus at Dave's Dark Horse but that's as close to a greek restaurant there is here until Bluto's.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Now Humble, just wasn't that good. Sometimes you just want a regular taco, quick grab food with a good atmosphere.

I am very excited by Blutos though. I will be going there for lunch today as a matter of fact. I hope it pans out, because I need a good lunch spot.

The greatest benefit of the old City Bagel was going on a Friday night for dinner, finishing your beer, then just being able to go right up and grab another out of their fridge they had in the seating area before paying for them on your way out.

That had to be illegal as hell by every local and state statute associated with alcoholic beverage service, but for some reason no one ever pushed the issue and they just let people keep doing it.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The Gibbes Store in Learned is the same way, go to the old Coke cooler and get your own beer and the server asks you later how many you had.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
The Gibbes Store in Learned is the same way, go to the old Coke cooler and get your own beer and the server asks you later how many you had.
One of my top five favorite restaurants. Such a cool experience out there and my understanding is you can brown bag out there again.

BigDogFan

Oct 12, 2016
There was a Greek place on what is now Old 82 just north of downtown back in the early 80s that as a college student with no idea of good food - Quincy's was upscale - we all thought was good. The guy who ran it was super nice to students too and would give us extra fries.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login