OT: Obi-wan Kenobi.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
It is absolutely horrible. It makes no sense. It ruins everything in episode 4 that we all grew up with. It was plain stupid.

PuebloDawg

Sep 29, 2021
Agreed. I can’t say one good thing about it. The battle between him and Vader…it obviously needed to end in a death but no…can’t do that because will mess up the story that no longer exists anymore. At least kill Obiwan and spin that Sir Knight was simply a ghost the whole time. Vader obviously has schizophrenia so it would’ve worked well.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I liked it. Someone told me the episodes 1-6 give a nod to the corresponding movie 1-6 and I thought that was pretty cool. I wasn’t a huge fan of episode 3 but that was redeemed later on. The 4th episode felt the closest to the original trilogy since Jedi to me. To each his own.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Oh. let me walk through an Empire base with a kid under my coat and no one will notice. In episode 4 (actually 1) Obi-wan tells Luke I have not gone by Obi-Wan since before you were born. Except for that time about 8 years ago when I could have killed Darth Vader. (Oh, that's right. He DIDN'T say that). They kept putting in scenes like Luke or Leia were in trouble but we knew they weren't. Why is bad chicky going to kill Luke? Made absolutely no sense.

So 17 you.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Oh. let me walk through an Empire base with a kid under my coat and no one will notice. In episode 4 (actually 1) Obi-wan tells Luke I have not gone by Obi-Wan since before you were born. Except for that time about 8 years ago when I could have killed Darth Vader. (Oh, that's right. He DIDN'T say that). They kept putting in scenes like Luke or Leia were in trouble but we knew they weren't. Why is bad chicky going to kill Luke? Made absolutely no sense.

So 17 you.
I always found the idea of witness protection for Obi Wan hilarious. “Hey that guy looks like the most wanted man in the galaxy.” “Nah that’s not him. We are looking for Obi Wan Kenobi. That guys name is Old Ben Kenobi, no relation.”

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I always found the idea of witness protection for Obi Wan hilarious. “Hey that guy looks like the most wanted man in the galaxy.” “Nah that’s not him. We are looking for Obi Wan Kenobi. That guys name is Old Ben Kenobi, no relation.”

I am not the Jedi you are looking for

Move along

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Like all the episodes in the saga, it was never made for grumpy old men.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
It is absolutely horrible. It makes no sense. It ruins everything in episode 4 that we all grew up with. It was plain stupid.

You are wrong, and you should sit there in your wrongness, and feel bad for it.

It completely explains how differing points of view can explain how Vader is both Luke's father and how Vader killed Luke's father at the same time.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020

So 17 you.

So you find it bad that a guy can sneak through a plain old base, but love how he snuck around the Death Star unnoticed while Vader was on the Death Star?

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Star Wars movies and tv shows are chock full of over the top stupidity like what you described. It’s just part of it, even in the original trilogy. Obi Wan was kinda meh but it wasn’t horrible either. It had its moments. I’m looking forward more to Andor.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I didn't need that to tell me that Vader over takes Annikan until Luke saves him and he becomes Annikan in the end.

And yes I know about the logic holes in the original movies. This added more since Luke, Vader, Obi-wan, Owen and his wife would have had to have their memories erased before A New Hope starts.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
In the death star he avoids 4 or 5 troopers. In this he is walking amongst hundreds who have to get out of his way and not a single one thinks a big bump on his right side with two extra legs is suspicious.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Could it be written better? Yes. Did I like it. Yes. It was nostalgic for me. After watching it I wish they’d do a series on Vader. I’d really like to see in action when he destroys an entire rebel squadron.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

So 17 you.

They lost me at Episode Seven. They had the greatest opportunity to have Luke, Han, and Leah on the screen at the same time and blew it. Seven was okay compared to the next two chapters. Ep 8 in which Rey becomes a Jedi master in three easy lessons and Ep 9 where she holds a 17ing spaceship from taking off with just the force? I enjoyed the Mandalorian but the rest of them I haven't been able to make it past the first episode or viewing of any thing made since Disney took over. There's a little bit of a difference between building on a mythos and pissing all over it so that it fits your new story. You think this is bad? Wait until you see the Lord of the Rings "reinterpretation" coming out from Amazon.

Last edited:

Dawg_4_lifes

Sep 17, 2016
I liked most of it. It had some weird moments. Vader not going into the fire, Vader not killing Reva, Vader not killing Reva the 2nd time, and Vader not killing Reva again. I mean the amount of ppl that get stabbed in the stomach and survive is kinda goofy.
It really should have been shorter. There is a 2.5 hr cut of this thing floating around that was created by a fan and it is really good. I do not want to post the link to it, but you can use the googler to find it. I recommend it.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
This whole thread reads like a soap opera i.e. 'All My Children' or 'Days of Our Lives' , only for male geeks. I went to see the very first Star Wars (whatever its called now) in 1977 and walked out because it was so far fetched and unbelievable, this thread reinforces that move for me

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Agreed on Ep 7-9. Episode 7 was decent but 8 and 9 were absolutely terrible. They kill everyone off in 8 and then they have to craft a story of “oh hey look the emperor is back!” Wait….what?

Rouge One is the best newer movie, hands down and Mando/Boba Fett have been solid.

Im ready for them to move somewhere else in the timeline of Star Wars.

dogmatic

Aug 22, 2012
I don't require much in the way of believability from my science fiction, but the toddler-chasing of Leia running around was too unbelievable to tolerate. Couldn't take two steps and grab her? Might as well have been episodes of Blues Clues or The Wiggles.

I've tried to figure out why they did that -- were they expecting to fix it in post or something?

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
In the original they show him avoiding 4 or 5 troopers because it was a low budget movie nobody thought would go anywhere from the 1970's.

drummerdawg

Mar 14, 2013

You won't find a bigger Star Wars fan and critic than me. The 1st season of Mandolorian was ok, nothing special. But the last 4 or 5 episodes of season 2 were damn good. Boba Fett was trash. I wish they kept him in the sarlacc pit. As for Kenobi - I admit, I was pretty disappointed myself. Obi-Wan is my favorite Jedi and I had high expectations due to Ewan McGregor. I'm tired of being let down by Disney. However, with that said, I went back and rewatched all 6 episodes with my wife and came away feeling a little different about it. The second time around was much better for some reason. I do wish they would have killed off Reva though. I don't know if it was the actress or the writing, but the character just wasn't believable to me. Hopefully, season 2 will explain some of the plot holes and inconsistencies. I recommend giving it a second chance.

I think the Ahsoka series has potential to be good.

One of my biggest irritations with Disney is all the equity and inclusion they're putting into the films. Not that there's anything wrong with diversity, but the Empire in the originals was basically European Nazi type characters and now the Empire is one of the most diverse equal opportunity organizations in the galaxy. It just doesn't seem to fit and seems to be in an alternate universe. How, do they go from being so diverse to what we see shortly after in the OT?

Last edited:

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Agreed on Ep 7-9. Episode 7 was decent but 8 and 9 were absolutely terrible. They kill everyone off in 8 and then they have to craft a story of “oh hey look the emperor is back!” Wait….what?

Rouge One is the best newer movie, hands down and Mando/Boba Fett have been solid.

Im ready for them to move somewhere else in the timeline of Star Wars.

I thought Rouge one was better than received and it gave me a glimmer of hope with the Mouse taking over Lucas film. Hate I was wrong. They have too many hats running under one set of mouse ears with Disney, Lucas, Pixar, Marvel, and Nat Geo.

hailmari1

Aug 29, 2017
This whole thread reads like a soap opera i.e. 'All My Children' or 'Days of Our Lives' , only for male geeks. I went to see the very first Star Wars (whatever its called now) in 1977 and walked out because it was so far fetched and unbelievable, this thread reinforces that move for me

Imagine going to what is an obviously science fiction movie and walking out because it wasn’t real enough. Imagination, strong it is not.

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
I don't know what y"all are talking about. There were 3 Star Wars movies. Thats it. They were awesome, except for those little teddy bears in the third movie that were just there to sell toys.

And there is a reason the rebels were able to scurry about the original Death Star without getting caught or shot: Vader wanted them to. He wanted to follow them to the rebel base.

I did appreciate Rogue One explaining why the Death Star had an obvious design flaw.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login