OT - OMAD - A Cheat Code For Life

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think our biggest problems are the processed sugars and grains.
Really, processed foods in general. They are terrible. Cut way back on processed foods and sugar, eat lots of fresh vegetables (frozen is fine, canned is OK if no salt added) & berries, don't overdo fatty meats, and get 20-30 minutes of moderate exercise per day. Do those things and your weight and overall health will greatly improve.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
If you’re in bad shape, it likely took you years to get into the shape you’re in with consistently bad habits. If you want it to stick, you’ll need to take the mindset that it will take consistently good habits over a long period of time. So, do whatever it is that you can reasonably sustain. Some of the things people are doing have scientific data for their efficacy (like fasting and inflammation), but most everything else is marketing.

For me, I run and typically use MyFitnessPal to track my calories. I don’t get too bent out of shape about a bad food day or skipping a run. Over the course of the year, I’m very consistent and that’s the key.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
psyllium husk trend = country Ozempic

If it works and the process is healthy- cool.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Was planning to show my wife this thread, this is exactly what she would say. I've lost a good bit of weight and built muscle, it's really not that difficult.
Welfare checkin for a fellow husband. Do you normally send weight loss info to your wife? If so, carry on. If not, PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

• Haha
Reactions: Darryl Steight

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
You fat bastárds quit acting like you know anything about health and nutrition...

Either shut up about the diets or don't chime in on the quality of gas station BBQ. Going forward know your lane. I sure as hell know mine.

1000014683.jpg

@DesotoCountyDawg please keep a list of these "health experts".

• Haha
Reactions: greenbean.sixpack

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
Welfare checkin for a fellow husband. Do you normally send weight loss info to your wife? If so, carry on. If not, PROCEED WITH CAUTION.
Ha that is good advice! What I meant though is that she has it figured out. She's never taken anything but has done the dieting stuff only to see it come back. She has me on her "plan" now and it works, just eating right and getting exercise consistently. And it takes time, she's been doing it for two years and me about a year and a half after I noticed how well it was working with her.

Reactions: ckDOG

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
"Psyllium Husk"

Did a colon cleanse about 5-6 years ago and one of the drinks you mixed up had psyllium husk in it.....aside from tasting like rotten hell, it does work.....and you will easily lose 5lbs within a week.....but be prepared to stay close to a bathroom at all times.
I take it every night, a nice predictable poop every morning is the reward.

I've been taking it daily since Feb 2020. You probably know it better as Metamucil.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Darryl Steight

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
It all looked good until you got to the part where they said you could drink all the black coffee and seltzer water you wanted.
17 yeah you’ll lose weight
kramer GIF

Reactions: skipperDawg

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Swap the black coffee for water.
Pound the h20.
Eat tons of veggies. Cut back on meat (2-3 times/week)
I'm 6'2", 175lbs, 10% bf.
Yes, I am a competitive cyclist thus train more than the average Joe, but diet is the key. Being married to a vegetarian made me see the light regarding our meat diet and the need for more veggies.
terrible advice for the average joe

Reactions: BA Dog

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
terrible advice for the average joe
...or it's perfect advice for the average Joe.
And that's coming from someone who is moving closer to that average each year. I could stand to eat like my wife- 80% roasted veggies, 10% lean meat, 5% almond butter and unsalted walnuts, 5% home baked desserts.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
And that's coming from someone who is moving closer to that average each year. I could stand to eat like my wife- 80% roasted veggies, 10% lean meat, 5% almond butter and unsalted walnuts, 5% home baked desserts.
man you have bought into the standard american nutrition scam hook line and sinker.

shocked you didn’t say soy milk and beyond meat

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
man you have bought into the standard american nutrition scam hook line and sinker.

Gonna need an explanation here. I want to know how you came to the conclusion that eating 80% vegetables is in any way a scam.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Gonna need an explanation here. I want to know how you came to the conclusion that eating 80% vegetables is in any way a scam.
meat especially fatty meats, organs, and animal products such as butter and raw milk are the most nutrient dense and healthy foods available - it’s how we evolved. lean muscle meat is the least healthy part of the animals - usually left for the vultures after the predators have had their choice. non-night shade veggies should be steamed and not burned at high temp. unsalted??? is this a joke?? intelligent civilizations have been preserving food in salt for thousands of years. desserts should be full fruit eaten and not juiced. natural honey is a bonus. coffee tea and fermented liquids over plain water so you don’t piss out all your electrolytes

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
For you SPSers looking to lose or maintain your weight, read up on OMAD. I do it 2-4 times a week on average, it takes about two weeks to control your appetite (you'll still get hungry at points during the day, but it will become easier to control). I do it to maintain, I'm 6ft 2in and my goal is to stay under 200 (I'm usually in the low 190s). I eat as much as I want for my one meal. Take some Psyllium Husk after your meal and you'll easily control your weight. I do drink black coffee in the AM.

I’m on board with the burn more than you take in. I originally lost all my weight by not drinking calories, watching carbs and alternating every other day between cardio and weights. It took about 9 months to drop 30 lbs, but I was adding muscle at the same time. A normal day for me would be basic choc chip granola bar and milk for breakfast, nabs(or balance bar) and water post workout, microwave popcorn for afternoon snack, low carb meal for supper.

I learned how to keep an eye on overall calories and basically “know” how to stay on track balancing diet with exercise.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

After reading what you claim is the 'standard American nutrition scam', her diet isn't even close to that.
She gets all required nutrients, vitamins, etc. She feels healthy and is objectively healthy.

Criticizing a lack of salt on walnuts is really nurs(ha!) because you ignore whether or not salt is on other food and whether an appropriate amount of salt is being consumed overall, and instead you judge.

It should be bonkers that such a result is criticized and accused of being the result of a scam, but it's you criticizing, so par for the course.

We don't have soy milk in the fridge, we have cow milk and I think some almond milk...but I ignore that part of the fridge so I don't always quite know what's there.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I'd say its terrible advice for the average joe because they aren't going to follow it and they can eat much more fulfilling diet, in particular more protein, and still be as healthy. If that's what someone likes, it's probably plenty healthy (I would think you want more calories from protein than that? But I'm guessing it's probably enough to not be a problem).

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
meat especially fatty meats, organs, and animal products such as butter and raw milk are the most nutrient dense and healthy foods available - it’s how we evolved. lean muscle meat is the least healthy part of the animals - usually left for the vultures after the predators have had their choice. non-night shade veggies should be steamed and not burned at high temp. unsalted??? is this a joke?? intelligent civilizations have been preserving food in salt for thousands of years. desserts should be full fruit eaten and not juiced. natural honey is a bonus. coffee tea and fermented liquids over plain water so you don’t piss out all your electrolytes
I get what you're trying to say, and agree with most of it, but you're getting too extreme. Too much fatty meat is bad.....it's a lot of calories and a lot of cholesterol. Too much salt can cause a variety of things. Drinking water is good. These are pretty much facts.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'd say its terrible advice for the average joe because they aren't going to follow it and they can eat much more fulfilling diet, in particular more protein, and still be as healthy. If that's what someone likes, it's probably plenty healthy (I would think you want more calories from protein than that? But I'm guessing it's probably enough to not be a problem).
Again, I don't see how you can say eating a diet consisting of an 80/20 rule of vegetables to meat is bad advice. Sounds like 'average joe' is the problem.

Unless you're just trying to 17 with glfr, with which I can get on board.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Again, I don't see how you can say eating a diet consisting of an 80/20 rule of vegetables to meat is bad advice. Sounds like 'average joe' is the problem.

Unless you're just trying to 17 with glfr, with which I can get on board.
I actually had typed out a post to 17 with golfer telling him the only way I'd believe that he doesn't have soy milk in his fridge would be if he told me those Iowa 17ers had figured out how to make milk out of corn and were currently lobbying for a federal 10% corn milk mandate for grocery stores, but it seemed unnecessarily mean towards him instead of the farming lobby.

I thinking telling somebody an 80/20 vegetable to meat diet is optimal is bad advice. People obviously have trouble eating healthy and maintaining a healthy weight. Giving people advice that makes that harder than necessary is bad advice to me. You shouldn't aim for 80/20 unless you have a genetic issue that affects how your body breaks down fats or unless you just like vegetables that much more than meat.

Reactions: NTDawg

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I was 220 pounds at age 20, and I am 230 pounds at age 60. I have been 230 to 235 for 20 years now. I buy 38" waist trousers and take them up about two inches. I don't worry about Carbs, sugar or calories. I count total fat in my diet. I keep it 30 grams a day or less. I eat what I want as long as my total fat stays 30 grams or less. I have been doing that for 30 years. My cholesterol was 109 last year on my annual physical. I go to the gym six days a week. You might call ********, but I do not look like a 60-year-old man. I am not built like a 60-year-old man. I lift weights like a 30-year-old man. I am smart about it. If something doesn't feel right while working a body part, I stop and go home. I don't work through injuries anymore. I let a muscle rest until it feels ok. I will add I have never tasted alcohol, tobacco, coffee, tea and the only drugs I have used were prescription drugs.

The bottom line is, do what works for you. You will be happier and be able to stick to it.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I was 220 pounds at age 20, and I am 230 pounds at age 60. I have been 230 to 235 for 20 years now. I buy 38" waist trousers and take them up about two inches. I don't worry about Carbs, sugar or calories. I count total fat in my diet. I keep it 30 grams a day or less. I eat what I want as long as my total fat stays 30 grams or less. I have been doing that for 30 years. My cholesterol was 109 last year on my annual physical. I go to the gym six days a week. You might call ********, but I do not look like a 60-year-old man. I am not built like a 60-year-old man. I lift weights like a 30-year-old man. I am smart about it. If something doesn't feel right while working a body part, I stop and go home. I don't work through injuries anymore. I let a muscle rest until it feels ok. I will add I have never tasted alcohol, tobacco, coffee, tea and the only drugs I have used were prescription drugs.

The bottom line is, do what works for you. You will be happier and be able to stick to it.
Man, sixpackers are a dysfunctional bunch of 17ers. The ones that know how to live life are going to die of a heart attack before 60 and this guy is probably going to continue suffering for another 45 years.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
If I have a plate with 80% veggies, 10% lean meat, 5% almond butter and walnuts, and 5% baked goods- the chicken, almond butter, and walnuts have more than enough protein for an active adult female.
To be clear, I am not saying 80% by weight- just thats is what fills up 80% of a plate or bowl.

And I agree that a diet with more healthy protein can be equally as healthy, or even healthier in the right circumstances.
It was just funny to see a nutritionally balanced diet be called a scam.

Reactions: johnson86-1

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Diet discussion is just as polarizing as politics and religion. If what you are eating is working well for you then eat it. The problem is that when the food pyramid came out it recommended to eat less red meat less saturated fat and eat more carbs. We did that and we got fatter and sicker as a result. Somehow the 4% red meat that the average person eats is the problem.

Reactions: SirBarksalot

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
For those that have done fasting, how are you planning your exercise around it? Avoid exercise on days you fast? Plan exercise shortly after you do eat? Raw dog it and exercise on an empty stomach?
I go to the gym at 5:00 a.m. (drink coffee on the way there) when it opens and am never hungry that early since I ate about 8:00 the night before. About 10:00 is when my gut occasionally checks in to tell me that the coffee and water aren't doing the trick any more but I just ignore it till noon.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
I get what you're trying to say, and agree with most of it, but you're getting too extreme. Too much fatty meat is bad.....it's a lot of calories and a lot of cholesterol. Too much salt can cause a variety of things. Drinking water is good. These are pretty much facts.
cholesterol is not the problem and certainly isn’t affected by fatty meats….dont blame cholesterol for what sugar did

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
cholesterol is not the problem and certainly isn’t affected by fatty meats….dont blame cholesterol for what sugar did
Correct cholesterol is made in the liver, saturated fat has very little to do with it. And we now know that your ldl number by itself is a meaningless number. What is the size of the ldl? Is it oxidized (damaged)? We also know that low hdl is more predictive of coronary disease than high ldl.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
For you SPSers looking to lose or maintain your weight, read up on OMAD. I do it 2-4 times a week on average, it takes about two weeks to control your appetite (you'll still get hungry at points during the day, but it will become easier to control). I do it to maintain, I'm 6ft 2in and my goal is to stay under 200 (I'm usually in the low 190s). I eat as much as I want for my one meal. Take some Psyllium Husk after your meal and you'll easily control your weight. I do drink black coffee in the AM.

Ed: Didn’t read ahead before posting this.

OMAD twice a week? Doesn’t seem like that would move the needle.

Anyway, Ive been doing Carnivore since July 8th. That is, all animal based, no fruit, veggies, bread, etc…. I eat mainly beef, eggs pretty regularly, dairy in the form of some (good) cheese, occasional shrimp/wild salmon. Limit seasonings to mainly salt. It’s like a severe form of Keto. My ‘cheat’, is vodka or seltzer with less than 2g of carbs each.
Key is high fat. No, go ahead, eat more fat…then more. Your body will eliminate what fat it doesn’t use.

I did this, as my wife has AutoImmune issues and I’ve been encouraging her to do an elimination diet. I think she’s doing better, but she is really struggling with the food. I can get in a mindset of food is just fuel…she can’t.

The cool thing about fat as fuel instead of carbs, is the steadiness of It. And yeah, many people do OMAD on carnivore.

Ed: I’ve pretty much made a conscious decision not to preach the benefits or convince others that this is the way. But I would encourage people to do a little research into the “food pyramid” and which industries funded some of those type things. One stat that is certainly true is that a full 1/3 of the country is Diabetic or Pre Diabetic. Ever notice that some of the poorest communities are some of the fattest? Lots of old lies out there.

But, I’m guessing before long the gubment is going to be making us eat bugs.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login