OT: Orlando / Disney

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
Going to be in Orlando first week of January and will have my kids with me, both teenagers. Can you just buy a couple tickets to get into Disney World for the day or does it have to be some planned out event? Youngest is 13 so I’m wondering what would be the best way to spend a day or two down there? My oldest will be playing golf the whole week so trying to figure out what we can do while she’s at the course. Doesn’t have to be Disney, just curious what would be fun for someone her age.

msugrad2003

Aug 27, 2013
Going to be in Orlando first week of January and will have my kids with me, both teenagers. Can you just buy a couple tickets to get into Disney World for the day or does it have to be some planned out event? Youngest is 13 so I’m wondering what would be the best way to spend a day or two down there? My oldest will be playing golf the whole week so trying to figure out what we can do while she’s at the course. Doesn’t have to be Disney, just curious what would be fun for someone her age.
Disney springs seems to fit her age. Not exactly a park…more shopping, restaurants, experiences. And you don’t have to pay to get in

msugrad2003

Aug 27, 2013
But, to answer your question…yes. You can just buy a ticket to the park for the day. If she’s more about rides, I recommend magic kingdom. But any of the parks would be good for a day visit…animal kingdom, Epcot, Disney Hollywood studios

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You can buy a ticket for a day. Not sure about managing Disney parks with the new lightning pass system or whatever it’s called. At 13, unless she wants the Disney nostalgia, universal studios might be more her speed if she likes rides. It will probably double the cost, but if you pay for the express pass, you can pretty much knock out one of the universal parks in a day.

Dec 9, 2022
You actually have to buy a ticket and then make a reservation for the park you are planning to attend. Go to the Disney World website and there should be something there to point you in the right direction.

SyonaraStanz

Mar 5, 2010
There’s usually a big marathon there the first week of January that sends big crowds to the parks.

If you’re only doing 1 park, go to Hollywood Studios for the best rides. EPCOT probably has the best ride in the new Guardians of the Galaxy ride, and it’s stepped up its game in recent years.

DogStuckAtUM

Aug 5, 2021
You can buy a ticket for a day. Not sure about managing Disney parks with the new lightning pass system or whatever it’s called. At 13, unless she wants the Disney nostalgia, universal studios might be more her speed if she likes rides. It will probably double the cost, but if you pay for the express pass, you can pretty much knock out one of the universal parks in a day.
Agreed. If she’s more about rides, you are better off doing Universal, Islands of Adventure in particular. You won’t need to plan as much as if you went to Disney.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
We explored combining the bowl trip and Disney, but the Magic Kingdom was sold out every day we could go. Other parks had availability

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Wife and I spent a week there earlier this year. I’d recommend Hollywood Studios for one day, Animal Kingdom second. Magic king is really geared toward little kids, it’s the only parks where they don’t serve beer. I enjoyed Epcot simply because I think it appeals towards adults. Disney can be confusing as heck if you don’t know the system. You’ve got park hopper and lightning pass to deal with to maximize your time. Luckily we went with Disney veterans.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I've never used one but there are a ton of Disney travel agents everywhere that offer their services for free. I guess they are compensated by Disney.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
We looked at the same before we found out we couldn’t make the bowl game. Universal was completely sold out, so I wouldn’t even bother. Depending on the day certain parks were sold out. I wouldn’t even bother with Magic Kingdom or Hollywood Studios if you can get in. The crowds will be insane and those parks already have high traffic. Go ahead and get your tickets now and pick your parks as they could sell out at any time.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I would go to Universal one day and then Hollywood Studios at DW on another day. Those are the best fits for teenagers.

SuspectZero

Mar 3, 2008
Try Sea World. I like it better than Disney. Better crowds. Better roller coasters.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Go to the Irish Pub at Disney Springs. Get the Kilkenny Irish Cream Ale. And another one. And a Guiness. And the food is good. Enjoy the music. Blaze Pizza at DS is good and cheap. Let the wife and kid shop. Epcot is fun. Try the Italian beers. They're good. Get a savory crepe at the La Creperie. Get a Smithwick's (Smitticks) at the English Pub. The fish and chips there are good as well. Go to the Norwegian Pavillion and get an Einstock Porter and and Einstok White Ale along with an Eplekaka (Apple Cake with Caramel). Maybe Germany has better beer now but a year ago the beers were ones I could get at a local grocery store. Oh, and ask your daughter and wife what they'd like to do too, while walking back to the British Pub to get a Harp Lager. Maybe they'll like the fireworks at 9. Don't forget that they stop selling liquor at 9. Buy the wife and kid some ears to wear. Females seem to like that. Get wifey a shirt that says "I wear the ears" while you wear one that says "I buys the beers" only if you want a divorce (That just struck me as bad juju for married folks, but fine for the unmarried). You're welcome.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login