OT: Pellet Grills

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
A miscommunication cost me a pellet grill for Christmas so now I am still in the market. I think I have narrowed it down to between a Z Grill and a Pitboss. I love Traeger but their price points are a little out of my reach. I know Z Grill used to supply parts for Traeger so I would think they're a good product and are slightly cheaper than pitboss, but pitboss seems to give more features such as built in meat probes and wifi on their mid tier models more in my price range...$400-$600 instead of $1,000+. So for those out there which would you prefer, or is there another brand out there I have missed?

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
A miscommunication cost me a pellet grill for Christmas so now I am still in the market. I think I have narrowed it down to between a Z Grill and a Pitboss. I love Traeger but their price points are a little out of my reach. I know Z Grill used to supply parts for Traeger so I would think they're a good product and are slightly cheaper than pitboss, but pitboss seems to give more features such as built in meat probes and wifi on their mid tier models more in my price range...$400-$600 instead of $1,000+. So for those out there which would you prefer, or is there another brand out there I have missed?
At this point I’m not sure pellet grills are OT on SPS***

DesertDawg

Feb 13, 2017
I went from a small Treager to a larger pit boss. If I lived close to you (New Mexico) you could come pickup the pit boss for free. It has a very inconsistent flame. I have tried multiple brand pellets. Just not a fan.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
My pit boss has heat issues. I've changed temp probe tried different pellets cleaned fan. Just not sure why but I can not get to temp but once every few cooks. I ended up buying a masterbuilt as a backup when the pitboss doesn't work

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I was dead set on a rec tec for a couple years, but bought a pit poss to see even I was even if I’d like a pellet grill. While I do like having s pellet grill, I am ready to get something better. As others have said, the heat is inconsistent. Wildly inconsistent. And I don’t mean that it fluctuates, I mean that the temps that it says it’s producing are not accurate. I have to use my digital thermometer with probes to adjust the temperature to get it to what I want
What I have discovered is that royal oak pellets are the only pellets worth buying.

Reactions: ntzdog

ntzdog

Aug 6, 2009
I was dead set on a rec tec for a couple years, but bought a pit poss to see even I was even if I’d like a pellet grill. While I do like having s pellet grill, I am ready to get something better. As others have said, the heat is inconsistent. Wildly inconsistent. And I don’t mean that it fluctuates, I mean that the temps that it says it’s producing are not accurate. I have to use my digital thermometer with probes to adjust the temperature to get it to what I want
What I have discovered is that royal oak pellets are the only pellets worth buying.
Love Rec Tec! Superb temperature control.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
I’ve had a pit boss for about 2 months. Love it so far. I’ve done everything from speckled trout to steaks to ribs. Been great. I thought about Traeger, but went the more economical rout.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I had a green mountain grill for about 3 years. The grill functioned as it was supposed to and if you want a pellet grill is recommend a GMG.

I’ll just add one note about a pellet grill. If you have ever cooked/smoked on charcoal or wood, you will likely not ever be satisfied with the pellet grill. It is nice to just push a button and show back up when the meat is done. However, I just didn’t like the flavor, or lack of flavor I should say. I sold mine and just decided to spring for a Weber summit. Certainly not trying to down a pellet grill it was just not for me.

Reactions: dorndawg

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I had a green mountain grill for about 3 years. The grill functioned as it was supposed to and if you want a pellet grill is recommend a GMG.

I’ll just add one note about a pellet grill. If you have ever cooked/smoked on charcoal or wood, you will likely not ever be satisfied with the pellet grill. It is nice to just push a button and show back up when the meat is done. However, I just didn’t like the flavor, or lack of flavor I should say. I sold mine and just decided to spring for a Weber summit. Certainly not trying to down a pellet grill it was just not for me.
I've always done my offset in my charcoal grill, and get good results, but don't always like babysitting it trying to keep temp in range, adding charcoal, etc. So I decided I'd give a pellet a whirl.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
I can’t stress enough a wifi pellet grill with temp probes, temp setting notifications, and an app that controls it all. If you’re looking for an easier way of cooking then you need to go all the way.

I’m currently cooking a butt, watching Dak, and “checking” on my cook from the couch. Shortly I’m going to bed and will sleep all night with no worries.

C1777D08-F95F-4A1A-AF83-1FE518EDEEF0.jpeg

PK Dawg

Jul 17, 2022
Love my pit boss 850. Had it a little over a year. Used it 75+ times and been great. Neighbors love it too

whodatdawg12

Aug 26, 2012
I have had trouble with my pit boss 1150 overheating and wild temp swings. Doing some research online it looks like it is due to a different design with the larger barrel. Ordering an after market modification that is supposed to stop the hot air from the burn box from getting directly to the temp probe. Other than that when it behaves it has been great.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I can’t stress enough a wifi pellet grill with temp probes, temp setting notifications, and an app that controls it all. If you’re looking for an easier way of cooking then you need to go all the way.

I’m currently cooking a butt, watching Dak, and “checking” on my cook from the couch. Shortly I’m going to bed and will sleep all night with no worries.

View attachment 289659
Yup! Fellow Rec Tec user here. Love it. I laugh at people that call it easy bake. Unless you are cutting wood yourself and cooking the food with those logs on an open pit, you are using technology as well. Mine is pellets, yours was made in a kiln.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
I have a little pit boss. Probably the smallest one they make, with no wifi/Bluetooth or anything. I like it, it’s incredibly easy, but I’m not obsessive about it in any way.
My brother has one of the green mountain models with wi-fi and he absolutely loves his. Cooks on it all the time and wouldn’t trade it for anything I don’t guess. He definitely believes the Wi-Fi adds enough to justify the extra costs.

1 Old Dog

Aug 22, 2012
Recteq RT700. Will not regret it.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Yup! Fellow Rec Tec user here. Love it. I laugh at people that call it easy bake. Unless you are cutting wood yourself and cooking the food with those logs on an open pit, you are using technology as well. Mine is pellets, yours was made in a kiln.
Easy baker.** I do cut my own wood and cook with it in the offset stick burner. Plus, you’ve camped out in high school where I source this wood. I’d bring some to you in Florida but your oven can’t use it.

revereno

Jun 17, 2014
Nothing but good things to say about my Campchef Woodwind!

If you have time to sit around and play all day, by all means, grab a traditional smoker. For the rest of us, we’ll take our easy bake smoker ovens.

Smoke tube & Royal Oak charcoal pellets to mix in and you’ll be thrilled.

DonDon.sixpack

Aug 31, 2012
I have the Pitboss 1150, it's super easy to use. ONLY drawback is the lack of smoke compared to by Big Green Egg. The Egg blows it away, even with a smoke tube added inside the Pitboss. If youre looking for something easy to cook out, get a pellet smoker, If you want the best quality, and versatility, get a Large Big Green Egg. Smoke at 225, grill a steak at 700, cook pizza, char some Oysters, and lots more

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
Regardless which brand you go with, get a smoke tube or two if you really want a smoky taste.

YesIAmAPirate

Oct 3, 2022
I have had a Traeger for a couple of years now and I love it. It was an adjustment at first going to pellet from charcoal but I have gotten used to it. I don't have to watch or babysit it which is great. I use Bear Mountain (?) pellets from Lowes

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I'd avoid the cheaper pellet grills. They are wildly inconsistent. The cheap controllers in them make it a crap shoot.

Wait for a sale or buy a good one used on FB Marketplace.

With that being said, if you have a Webber kettle, I heard this work fairly well and are cheap.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

If you like the charcoal taste and don’t like the hassle of watching the temp the masterbuilt 560 digital smoker might be more your speed.

Jul 5, 2020
I bought the floor model Traeger from my local Ace Hardware right before COVID for about 30% off, so maybe check in at your favorite local hardware store and see if they'll haggle a bit. Love it, never had any issues except for the pellet feeder issue that has a well-known and simple fix on YT. Good luck!

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Pellet grills or the Easy Bake Oven of the outdoor cooking world!
Gold Rush GIF by Discovery

Reactions: PirateBay

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Pellet grills or the Easy Bake Oven of the outdoor cooking world!
Gold Rush GIF by Discovery
I used to be this naive as well. Then I realized its 2022(23) and technology will allow me to multitask.

I can go do whatever I want over the course of a 12-18 hour brisket cook and not be straddled to my grill. I can go fishing. I can go hunting. I can watch tv. I can go to the strip club. The world is my oyster. And when I get back, the brisket will be 98% as good as a stickburners with 5% of the effort involved. It's a beautiful thing.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
I used to be this naive as well. Then I realized its 2022(23) and technology will allow me to multitask.

I can go do whatever I want over the course of a 12-18 hour brisket cook and not be straddled to my grill. I can go fishing. I can go hunting. I can watch tv. I can go to the strip club. The world is my oyster. And when I get back, the brisket will be 98% as good as a stickburners with 5% of the effort involved. It's a beautiful thing.
I went this route as well, still use the Egg for the quick cooks but a brisket is getting the pellet all day.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
And that's what I want it for. I have my grill for everything else but when I want to smoke a pork shoulder, brisket, or ribs, I think I would like the freedom of a pellet grill. Couple years ago I volunteered to do a pork shoulder for a tailgate. Had to start it about midnight and then every 90 minutes or so go out and make sure it was holding temp, didn't need more charcoal, etc. I was dead tired the next day after a night of almost no sleep. Plus I'm thinking if I got one with wifi I could put in a roast one morning before work and then keep an eye on it at work from my phone and it would be ready for supper thst night when I got home.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Easy baker.** I do cut my own wood and cook with it in the offset stick burner. Plus, you’ve camped out in high school where I source this wood. I’d bring some to you in Florida but your oven can’t use it.
I’ve got my own thank you. Florida Palm tree wood is the best kept secret in smoking meat. It gives it that distinctive ocean/cockroach/Bath Salt taste you can’t find anywhere else.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
I got a pit boss for Father's Day. It took me 3 or 4 cookouts figure out temperature settings but once I did it cooks like a boss

DogNSuds

Aug 25, 2014
Love my Z Grill!! A lot easier to clean than the Pit Boss from my research. That is what made me lean to the Z

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
I'd avoid the cheaper pellet grills. They are wildly inconsistent. The cheap controllers in them make it a crap shoot.

Wait for a sale or buy a good one used on FB Marketplace.

With that being said, if you have a Webber kettle, I heard this work fairly well and are cheap.
I looked at this and found they have a temperature control attachment for a Weber as well. You can buy the cheaper Weber and have a temperature controlled smoker/grill for $340. I’m intrigued now.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
My pit boss has heat issues. I've changed temp probe tried different pellets cleaned fan. Just not sure why but I can not get to temp but once every few cooks. I ended up buying a masterbuilt as a backup when the pitboss doesn't work
Tell me more about the masterbuilt. It appears to use briquettes instead of pellets. Is that right? My experience with briquettes is they have a lot of clay binder in them that needs to be cleaned out often. Sometimes during the cook in my offset smoker.

They have one with a griddle top that can go over the grill grates. Like a Blackstone. Do you have that model and if so does it have to be babied to keep it from rusting like a Blackstone?

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011

I looked at this and found they have a temperature control attachment for a Weber as well. You can buy the cheaper Weber and have a temperature controlled smoker/grill for $340. I’m intrigued now.
There is a lot of temperature controllers out there. I personally use a BBQ Guru on my eggs. They make a portable battery powered one called the Party Q, I have one of those in the RV for my mini Akorn. They make adapters for multiple grills so you can make just about any grill a set it and forget it grill.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login