OT- Pistol and enhanced carry class recommendations

Jaxdog

Aug 22, 2012
I’m looking to purchase a good carry pistol and get my enhanced carry permit. Anyone have any recommendations for the gun and class? I see Primos Range has classes that are near me. I’ve been around and used shotguns and rifles forever but never really bought a good semiautomatic pistol so looking for good reputation for safety, reliable, and ease of operation. Thanks..

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I’m looking to purchase a good carry pistol and get my enhanced carry permit. Anyone have any recommendations for the gun and class? I see Primos Range has classes that are near me. I’ve been around and used shotguns and rifles forever but never really bought a good semiautomatic pistol so looking for good reputation for safety, reliable, and ease of operation. Thanks..

There have been some good threads on this topic:

https://forums.sixpackspeak.com/sho...oncealed-carry-option&highlight=conceal+carry

https://forums.sixpackspeak.com/showthread.php?215971-Gun-gurus&highlight=conceal+carry

https://forums.sixpackspeak.com/showthread.php?210899-OT-pistol-for-wife&highlight=conceal+carry

https://forums.sixpackspeak.com/sho...at-holster-do-you-use&highlight=conceal+carry

cfree3434

Jan 14, 2021

You sound you're in the same boat I was in. Never used pistols much, but I have always been around rifles and shotguns. I did some research on a few that I thought would be a good fit for me, but what I would recommend is go to a indoor range somewhere and shoot a few different ones. I shot almost everything: M&P, Sig, H&K, etc. and could hardly hit the broadside of a barn with them since I was inexperienced shooter. Then, I rented a Walther ppq m2 and it felt like it was made for my hand. Shot it a few times and had very decent groupings. I felt confident with it, the trigger was awesome compared to others I shot, and it didn't break the bank. Go shoot as many as possible. I also almost bought a Canik. It was really nice shooting pistol as well.

xxxWalkTheDawg

Oct 21, 2005

Sig Sauer P938. Boom done.

now all you have to worry about is the class.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
You sound you're in the same boat I was in. Never used pistols much, but I have always been around rifles and shotguns. I did some research on a few that I thought would be a good fit for me, but what I would recommend is go to a indoor range somewhere and shoot a few different ones. I shot almost everything: M&P, Sig, H&K, etc. and could hardly hit the broadside of a barn with them since I was inexperienced shooter. Then, I rented a Walther ppq m2 and it felt like it was made for my hand. Shot it a few times and had very decent groupings. I felt confident with it, the trigger was awesome compared to others I shot, and it didn't break the bank. Go shoot as many as possible. I also almost bought a Canik. It was really nice shooting pistol as well.

Also really like Walther's.

Charlie Varney

Apr 11, 2016
I've carried a Sig P365 for the last year and a half

Easy to conceal and I've put around 2,000 rounds through it and no problems.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I suggest a revolver over a pistol. 32 or 38 cal. if you can find one. Easy to clean and maintained, easy to handle, will never jam, very reliable. That's my opinion.

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
I have been carrying a Ruger LCP .380 for years. Very dependable, never jams, small lightweight, easy to conceal and carry in your front pocket. Some will criticize the caliber but the bullet is the same size as a 9 mil. I recently bought a Ruger EC9s 9 mil which is just a little bigger but it's a ***** to carry concealed.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Follow cfree3434's advice. Shoot as many pistols as you can find. You never know which one will feel best to you.

cfree3434

Jan 14, 2021
To add, if you're anywhere near Tupelo, Trigger Time is where I went. I haven't been in probably a year or so, but they had a couple guys that worked up there at the time that were very knowledgeable and willing to talk and help out.

BA Dog

Nov 4, 2021
-Russel Gains with Redhawk Tactical Academy in Starkville. Makes you shoot a lot. I think the group I was with shot nearly 300 rounds. If you are not familiar with your handgun before hand you will be afterwards.

-I carry the Springfield Hellcat. Comes with nice stock sights, but the trigger is nothing special.
- Just purchased a Canik but have not fired it. General consensus on it is that you can’t beat it for the money. Stock trigger is really good.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
-Russel Gains with Redhawk Tactical Academy in Starkville. Makes you shoot a lot. I think the group I was with shot nearly 300 rounds. If you are not familiar with your handgun before hand you will be afterwards.

-I carry the Springfield Hellcat. Comes with nice stock sights, but the trigger is nothing special.
- Just purchased a Canik but have not fired it. General consensus on it is that you can’t beat it for the money. Stock trigger is really good.

BadAss Dog, Bachelor of Arts Dog, or Bank of America Dog? Really makes a difference when it comes to this post.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I have 2 Walthers for carry purposes. PPQ M2 with a shoulder holster and PPS M2 with an IWB (Inside the Waist Band) kydex holster. I now need reading glasses so plain sights are an issue when I happen to not have them on. "Oh, excuse mister attacker can I get my glasses on please?" I put a laser sight on the PPQ and just this Christmas added a Holsun Red Dot 507K onto the PPS. I love them both and they shoot great and are accurate. The PPQ is a double stack (holds 15+1) and PPS is a single stack (holds 7+1).

With that said if I was buying now it would be the Sig P365x with the Romeo red dot. You can get one for under $600. Holds 12+1 in the same frame size of the PPS. No idea how they managed that. My Brother got it and it is excellent in a small package.

Last edited:

Indognito

May 27, 2016
My advice is to go to a good range then rent several different types of handguns. After firing them choose the one you feel fits you best and that you feel you will be most comfortable carrying.

You will likely buy one or more additional handguns later on as you become more comfortable carrying a handgun and as you adjust to different types of clothing, etc.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Just my initials.

Welcome to the board Mr Baracus

Dawg1979

Jun 23, 2015

if your around the Hazlehurst or Brookhaven area, and can find a few people, i have a guy that will come to you and teach the class and get you certified. shoot me a PM if needed

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
If you are in the metro area I would check out Boondock Firearms. Go see Chad Winkler, he is very knowledgeable and can get you pointed in the right direction. They offer classes also. I carry a 9 mm M&P Shield and often times I will carry my wife's Glock 42 380. The Glock carries very well as you don't know it is there. I will probably be purchasing a new higher capacity gun in the near future, really looking at the G43x.

AlSwearengen

Aug 22, 2012
Do yourself a favor and save money by skipping all of the “upper end” brands and get a Glock 19 Gen 5. I’ve had Sigs, HK’s, Walthers, Smith, Springfield, Kahr, and who knows what else. Some are nice, some not.

Eventually, I sold everything and own nothing but Glocks now.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Sig P365xl, Springfield hellcat, Smith and Wesson MP shield plus. All good carry guns. However as one guy as was talking to said if you got big enough pants or shirt you can conceal a lot.
Those three are the smallest with a good size capacity for 9 mil. Or you just get a smaller 45 and make sure you hit your target the first time.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Glock snob. Worked with guns for a long time. Lot of people will tell you glocks are superior. Many of them feel like plastic toys. They are durable and reliable though. They are one of the most uncomfortable gripped pistols outside of a high point to me.

ETA. Compared to Glock 19. I would chose sig m17, canik tp9, or the sw mp 2.0. Same size range big capacity.

Last edited:

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
I love my M&P shield. Safe, reliable and easy to shoot - check, check and check. Mine has the crimson trace laser under the barrel just in front of the trigger guard. I like that it helps reduce printing when I'm in a rush and just stick it in my pocket.

BeardoMSU

Jul 9, 2013
I have a SIG .45 P320 Compact with a JM4 Tactical leather magnetic-retention holster. Love 'em.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
I have a Ruger 9mm that was my dad's service sidearm. It has had thousands of rounds and was solid weapon for many many years and never jammed.

I purchased A Ruger LCR 38 revolver for ease of use and a MP Shield 9mm for quick loading.

I can't say either are better but they serve different purposes. I am no expert, just know what I chose and that I am satisfied.

As far as classes. Do them and not just once. Make it a regular routine to keep honing your skills and safety awareness. Always practice so you will be familiar with the weapon and always be safe. My dad grew up with a gun in his hand being born in 1924. He was a WWII Armored Infantry veteran of 3 tours and a Korean War Vet and MP. He was in the army for nearly 20 years and served as a Police officer for another 30-40 years and an avid hunter his whole life. Our diet consisted mostly of wild game and garden veggies.

He had a gun go off while cleaning it with my sister standing next to him. She was knocked to the floor but it missed her and went through the wall and missed my mother by inches. Be careful. period.

tacodawg

Jan 2, 2020
I shot myself with a Springfield Hellcat. 10/10 recommend for stopping power. Just aim at anyone that isn’t you.

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
I love my M&P shield. Safe, reliable and easy to shoot - check, check and check. Mine has the crimson trace laser under the barrel just in front of the trigger guard. I like that it helps reduce printing when I'm in a rush and just stick it in my pocket.
Hey, question for you. A couple of years ago I bought a Shield in .45 acp. It is almost impossible to load the magazines without using one of those loading assist gadgets. I have kept all the mags loaded to capacity all this time and that has helped a little but not much. Have you had this problem? I complained to S&W and they said they would inform their engineers.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The shields are a little harder to load unless you get an ez but they don't make 'em in a 45.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
GloryDawg;[URL="tel:2014864" said:
2014864[/URL]]I suggest a revolver over a pistol. 32 or 38 cal. if you can find one. Easy to clean and maintained, easy to handle, will never jam, very reliable. That's my opinion.
Just throw this advice away… sorry Glory. This is just bad advice.

if someone is trying to kill you, do you want 6 shots in a single action antiquated weapon? Your assailant will most probably have 11 more rounds than you do.

in any case, take a class. I knew I sucked at shooting pistols, but didn’t realize how bad until I took a course.(not concealed specific)

Last edited:

13thEagle

Feb 1, 2016
Just throw this advice away… sorry Glory. This is just bad advice.

if someone is trying to kill you, do you want 6 shots in a single action antiquated weapon? Your assailant will most probably have 11 more rounds than you do.

in any case, take a class. I knew I sucked at shooting pistols, but didn’t realize how bad until I took a course.(not concealed specific)

If your in the Hattiesburg area, Brothers n arms range does a really good job with the classes.
My range gun is a H and K vp 9. it will fit your hand better than any gun you will pick up. But its too large to carry.
I have a kimber micro 9 with the hoke grip.

My wife carries the hell cat. She also has a glock 43 in the mattress holster. My bedside gun is the taurus judge.
I came home a couple years ago and there was a s&w 38 in the kitchen cabinet above the microwave. I asked, where di this come from. i got "i bought it"

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
13thEagle;[URL="tel:2015097" said:
2015097[/URL]]If your in the Hattiesburg area, Brothers n arms range does a really good job with the classes.
My range gun is a H and K vp 9. it will fit your hand better than any gun you will pick up. But its too large to carry.
I have a kimber micro 9 with the hoke grip.

My wife carries the hell cat. She also has a glock 43 in the mattress holster. My bedside gun is the taurus judge.
I came home a couple years ago and there was a s&w 38 in the kitchen cabinet above the microwave. I asked, where di this come from. i got "i bought it"
Not in MS. My pistol is also a VP9. Love it. Much more than my G17.
I don’t have a concealed permit. Keep putting it off.

The class I took was from one of Scott Jedlinksi’s endorsed instructors, focusing on Red Dot pistols.

Most of the 11 in the class were drawing from concealed AIWB, most had full size weapons, and they were all much better than me.

Last edited:

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
Hey, question for you. A couple of years ago I bought a Shield in .45 acp. It is almost impossible to load the magazines without using one of those loading assist gadgets. I have kept all the mags loaded to capacity all this time and that has helped a little but not much. Have you had this problem? I complained to S&W and they said they would inform their engineers.
Mine is a 9mm, and I don't have that issue. The spring is pretty stout, but only the last one is sometimes tough to get in.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
I have a SIG .45 P320 Compact with a JM4 Tactical leather magnetic-retention holster. Love 'em.

I have a P250 .45 cal. Took a little while to get used to the double action but once you do it's a good pistol. Paid $250 for it new years ago.

Jdog.sixpack

May 15, 2013

Look at a Ruger LCP II. It is a pocket pistol .380 . With the proper ammo it would get the job done!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login