OT: Places to Eat Houston

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Obviously stepping out of character. I know, I know, never break Kayfabe, but the Ole Devil needs some advice for himself and the fellow coaches that will be traveling with me. Will be spending three days in Houston soon for a coaching clinic and was wondering what recommendations the pack would have for your resident Devil in terms of place to get chow?

Reactions: dorndawg

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004

Diner food, pies are incredible. Try the Bayou Goo, it is a pie so good that Putin and Zelenskyy could make peace over it. You might could even get square with the Lord over it.

Reactions: ll Martain ll

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Pinkerton’s BBQ is solid. Nifa’s as well.

Got a specific part of Houston?

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Pinkerton’s BBQ is solid. Nifa’s as well.

Got a specific part of Houston?
Hotel is located on Katy Freeway. I use to live a few months out of the year in Houston with a sick family member receiving care at MD Anderson so I know the medical district pretty well and what use to be called Rice Village. That being said, it has been quite a few years since those experiences so I am open to pretty much anywhere.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Obviously stepping out of character. I know, I know, never break Kayfabe, but the Ole Devil needs some advice for himself and the fellow coaches that will be traveling with me. Will be spending three days in Houston soon for a coaching clinic and was wondering what recommendations the pack would have for your resident Devil in terms of place to get chow?
Asking about places to eat in Houston is like asking about places to eat in a medium size country **

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
There's an outstanding little Irish place I like to hit up as soon as I get to town, they're known for their tasty burgers

1707929175780.gif

ll Martain ll

Oct 5, 2014
Tex Mex - El Tiempo (best fajitas on the planet IMO), the original Ninfas, or Guadalajara
Fast Tex Mex - Fajitas A Go Go
BBQ - Killens, Truth, Pit Room, or Blood Brothers
Burgers - Bubbas Burger Shack (it's under a bridge)
Breakfast - Egghaus, Harrys (diner), also it's a chain, but Black Bear Diner.
Cheese steak - Papa Gino's
Italian - Prima Pasta

If you only go to one of these places, make it El Tiempo.

Perrys is good but it's a chain. If you go, get the pork chop.

Rice Village has gotten more upscale and corporate. A lot of higher end chain bars and restaurants are there now, if that's your vibe. But Little Woodrow's is still there...

I want to also recommend my favorite brewery in the world Buffalo Bayou, but sadly it's closed right now.

ll Martain ll

Oct 5, 2014
I'll also second House of Pies, for either pies or breakfast (or both)

Torchy's is solid if you want something quick, and the trashy trailer park recommendation is a very good one.

Reactions: WrightGuy821

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Tex Mex - El Tiempo (best fajitas on the planet IMO), the original Ninfas, or Guadalajara

If you only go to one of these places, make it El Tiempo.

Perrys is good but it's a chain. If you go, get the pork chop.

Suggest you look at Lupe Tortilla rather than Ninfas or El Tiempo. I've eaten at them all, and Lupe's (multiple locations around the Houston metro) has the best and most consistent fajitas and other Tex-Mex fare. Bring your loan officer or pre-approval letter if you want El Tiempo. It is good, but the food at Lupe is as good or better (and cheaper).

The Perry's porkchop . . . Sinfully delicious enough to make even the dark lord smile.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
If you want some very good and unique food, try Viola & Agnes' in Seabrook, TX. Creole and soul food from a former big oil platform chef. Very, very good stuff there.

Last edited:

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
I'll second Torchy's if you're looking for a quick and less expensive lunch. The trailer park taco is fantastic

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Just wanted to say thank you for all the advice so far from the bottom of my dark evil heart. I already have my fellow coaches looking at the places mentioned.

HouTxBulldog

Jun 9, 2019
Try Goode Co Seafood along I10 West, Ouisie’s on San Felipe, Hugo‘s on Westheimer. Variety here with seafood, southern, and true Mexican food.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Used to live in houston 20+ ago, but Mexican food works the same everywhere....if there are bars on the window, phone cards on the front counter, and the only way to order is in Mexican (not spanish)....you in the right place. If you do torchys, or any of the other white bread spots, well, we know you chickened out.

Used to know a few Chinese restaurants that operated similarly, needed to speak their language and read it too...was always a fun wild guess.

I do miss being able to get some of the restaurants.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Just wanted to say thank you for all the advice so far from the bottom of my dark evil heart. I already have my fellow coaches looking at the places mentioned.
You're welcome. And you might want to check in on your children near Hwy. 59 and Bissonett St. They are wayward.

• Haha
Reactions: BulldogBlitz

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Suggest you look at Lupe Tortilla rather than Ninfas or El Tiempo. I've eaten at them all, and Lupe's (multiple locations around the Houston metro) has the best and most consistent fajitas and other Tex-Mex fare. Bring your loan officer or pre-approval letter if you want El Tiempo. It is good, but the food at Lupe is as good or better (and cheaper).

The Perry's porkchop . . . Sinfully delicious enough to make even the dark lord smile.
agree - even better than pappacitos

Reactions: dawgman42

aspendawg

Sep 10, 2009
Mostly depends on where you're staying but here's a list of some of my favorite staples. For reference, I'm a Houston native for 7 years who lives in the city and not one of the burbs.

In no particular order:

• Cucharra (Midtown/Montrose area) hands down the city's BEST MEXICAN (not Tex-Mex).
  • Best Italian - Vinotecca Poscol (mid-town)
  • Opporto - Tapa's (mid-town and one of my favorites places in Houston)
  • Loro - (Bbq asian fusion) same guy who owns Franklins in Austin which is some of the best BBQ in the country
  • Lupe Tortilla for TexMex
  • Truths BBQ - in the heights and is competition level BBQ.

No offense to other suggestions on here.. but I would avoid any Goode Co, PappaDeauxs and places on Kty Fwy... I work out that way on the energy corridor and the food is meh compared to inside the 610 loop.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
When I’m in Houston, I like to order food from the top 10 rated Mexican places and the top 10 rated BBQ places on Yelp then put it in my electric vehicle and hightail it to the SixPack tent where I sneak it into Lemonis’s kale salad to fatten him up for the conference slate

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I don’t think the one I went to was a chain. It was a butcher shop / restaurant. You could sit right by the refrigerated display case and pick the steak you wanted. I think they owned another location that was a more upscale atmosphere, but they never let me in that one.

Last edited:

Desert Dog

Oct 8, 2022
The Pit Room on Richmond is my favorite BBQ in Texas.

prdubya

Nov 29, 2017
As others have said. Find a Lupe tortilla. It is the best. I miss it after being gone from Houston for ~8 years. Beef Fajitas or beef tacos Al carbon. The tortillas there are magical.

Burgers: becks prime has several locations and really good (but pricey) burgers. Get the lemonade.

My all time favorite burger is Cliff’s Grill on San Felipe and Fountain View. Phenomenal food and the guy that runs it (Mike) is awesome. Still remembers me after many years away each time I visit.

Other sleeper pick is 100% Taquitos on Hwy 59 near Buffalo speedway. Really good Mexican style street tacos. Fun place to watch a soccer game too.

Reactions: dawgman42

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Not sure on food, but if I were you I’d pack all short sleeves and flip flops. Going to be a lot warmer there that what you’re used to.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login