OT: Portland Oregon

Vermilion

Oct 25, 2021
Hello Friends,

Youngest daughter (22) is relocating to Portland, Oregon from Lancaster, PA. Any suggestions on where she (we) should look for apartments? She will be working remotely in sales

Thanks

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
The cost of living in Vancouver in much less expensive than Portland. She could live just over one of the bridges in a neighborhoods and have a 5 minute uber to downtown Portland. Pick a neighborhood with some bars and restaurants that she could easily walk to as well. Pot laws are a bit more restrictive in Washington but it is legal on private property.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Hello Friends,

Youngest daughter (22) is relocating to Portland, Oregon from Lancaster, PA. Any suggestions on where she (we) should look for apartments? She will be working remotely in sales

Thanks
I've lived in Portland since 1995, so feel free to ask anything.
The City is essentially divided into 4 quadrants. The Willamette River runs south to north and divides the east and west. Burnside St is a major corridor and runs east-west, separating north side from south side. So you have SW (business district, but also a lot of suburb type living outside the CBD), SE, NE, and NW. There is actually one misfit district that is called North Portland, so I lied and there are actually 5 areas.

I would personally steer her toward the inner NE and SE and from the Willamette River to about 65th Ave (the streets go up in number starting at the river). There are a lot of cool neighborhoods in these areas. For someone 22, I would mostly focus in SE Portland from Burnside to Powell Blvd and from 11th Ave to about 50th St. Lots of bars, restaurants, and nightlife. This is where I lived in my 20s and 30s.

If she wants to be closer to downtown, there are two pretty hot areas in NW Portland - the Pearl (little more high end) and NW 23rd (super hipster, but a bit pricey).

Despite what you may hear on certain media outlets, the City is mostly beautiful and livable. The access to outdoor activities and incredible food is second to none. Let me know if you want to chat directly and we'll figure out a way. Feel free to bounce thoughts off me during the search. Oh, and if she needs a place to stay for a few days, we just became empty nesters and have free rooms - seriously.

nittanyfan333

Oct 6, 2021
my ex-wife is from Portand, so stay away from 149th and SE Lincoln in Gresham-ish.....

in all seriousness, i actually really liked Portland. tons of beer, generally good people, beautiful scenery and lots of outdoor stuff to do.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
my ex-wife is from Portand, so stay away from 149th and SE Lincoln in Gresham-ish.....

in all seriousness, i actually really liked Portland. tons of beer, generally good people, beautiful scenery and lots of outdoor stuff to do.
Yeah, that's a rough area.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
we divorced in '08, so my experience there was 15+ years ago. Didnt' feel that bad back then, but i'm sure, as with most things, it's changed
Yeah, gentrification has pushed people out into that area. Combined with the pandemic, that area has grown even more sketchy in the past few years. did you have any favorite spots?

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
She needs to binge watch Portlandia.

Fred Armisen Comedy GIF by IFC

nittanyfan333

Oct 6, 2021
Yeah, gentrification has pushed people out into that area. Combined with the pandemic, that area has grown even more sketchy in the past few years. did you have any favorite spots?

We were married when I was stationed in Alaska and Vegas so we didn’t get there enough for me to really know the area. I remember golfing at glendoveer and her mom and dad had a lake house on the pine hollow reservoir.

Vermilion

Oct 25, 2021
I've lived in Portland since 1995, so feel free to ask anything.
The City is essentially divided into 4 quadrants. The Willamette River runs south to north and divides the east and west. Burnside St is a major corridor and runs east-west, separating north side from south side. So you have SW (business district, but also a lot of suburb type living outside the CBD), SE, NE, and NW. There is actually one misfit district that is called North Portland, so I lied and there are actually 5 areas.

I would personally steer her toward the inner NE and SE and from the Willamette River to about 65th Ave (the streets go up in number starting at the river). There are a lot of cool neighborhoods in these areas. For someone 22, I would mostly focus in SE Portland from Burnside to Powell Blvd and from 11th Ave to about 50th St. Lots of bars, restaurants, and nightlife. This is where I lived in my 20s and 30s.

If she wants to be closer to downtown, there are two pretty hot areas in NW Portland - the Pearl (little more high end) and NW 23rd (super hipster, but a bit pricey).

Despite what you may hear on certain media outlets, the City is mostly beautiful and livable. The access to outdoor activities and incredible food is second to none. Let me know if you want to chat directly and we'll figure out a way. Feel free to bounce thoughts off me during the search. Oh, and if she needs a place to stay for a few days, we just became empty nesters and have free rooms - seriously.
Grant, what are your thoughts on this link?

2024 Best Portland Area Neighborhoods for Young Professionals - Niche

Latest posts