OT: Possible 1995ish economic outcome (warning, this article presents something potentially positive)

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Without reading it let me go ahead and say that anything good in there is 100% because of what my political party did and anything bad in there is 100% because of what the political party that hates America did.

There. I went ahead and made everyone’s argument for them. Now we can have a conversation like the cultured, civilized gentlemen we are.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Without reading it let me go ahead and say that anything good in there is 100% because of what my political party did and anything bad in there is 100% because of what the political party that hates America did.

There. I went ahead and made everyone’s argument for them. Now we can have a conversation like the cultured, civilized gentlemen we are.
1723645311013.gif

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

You left out that Wells Fargo is just a bunch of dubmasses and MSN is the debil.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
None of this bad stuff happened until grown men started vaping….
Man GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Have we recovered from the great crash of August 5th that orange man and his minions fapped over yet? I buried my cash and gold in the backyard and want to know if it's time to buy low yet.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Have we recovered from the great crash of August 5th that orange man and his minions fapped over yet? I buried my cash and gold in the backyard and want to know if it's time to buy low yet.
I don’t care as long as it holds them to their promise to maybe lower interest rates this fall

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Going to likely be two rate drops by end of the year, definitely one next month. Also, it's been expected, so nothing to see really unless the election sends things off the rails or we catch a stray pandemic etc. Maybe WWIII

• Haha
Reactions: DerHntr

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Rate cuts aren’t going to bring prices down. Pain is. Pain is the only thing that will. It isn’t fun. It isn’t fair. But it is what it is.
Not even that is going to bring prices down. On the whole, they are never coming down, they will only go up less quickly.

If you want to have the prices you pay for everyday goods to actually sometimes decrease over time, move to Japan.

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
If you read this article you might want to take a moment and read some of the comments on it. They're pretty interesting actually.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Is this even something the president can remotely control… maybe influence I guess but I hope not too much. I’d hate to see stuff like interest rates in the hands of a politician running for reelection
Promise was poor wording. Just the talk of lowering rates by the Fed. Presidents can’t do anything about that.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Not even that is going to bring prices down. On the whole, they are never coming down, they will only go up less quickly.

If you want to have the prices you pay for everyday goods to actually sometimes decrease over time, move to Japan.
We do not want that. We want goods to have low inflation to allow wages to catch back up. I haven’t heard an example of a country coming out better after deflation.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Is this even something the president can remotely control… maybe influence I guess but I hope not too much. I’d hate to see stuff like interest rates in the hands of a politician running for reelection
A president could stop imposing tariffs. Both Trump and Biden have done so however. Neither one have seemed to do good. Only brings pain to farmers and manufacturers.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
TIL, Alan Greenspan is still alive.

For context, this was the president when he was born:
1723657934440.png

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I think a lot of people are downplaying the effect high energy costs are having on this country . Any conversation about improving our economy that doesn't have a component for reducing energy costs is just kicking the can down the road. IMO

FWIW Gasoline was $1.15/gal in 1995

• Haha
Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
national debt???

"I'm Dolla Bill. Chi town. I pay those country *** ****** nuthin. Nuttin!"
bernie mac GIF

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Call me your crazy uncle, but I have a sneaking suspicion this will matter a bit more every year going forward...

View attachment 627145
The crazy thing is the portion of government spending that goes towards interest on existing debt. We're adding to the debt with a budget deficit, and we're borrowing money to pay interest, which adds to the debt, which adds to the interest, which adds to the...

This is why rate cuts were always inevitable.

Reactions: She Mate Me

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I remember my dad ranting and raving that when gas hit $1.00 per gallon we would no longer drive. He wasn’t paying it. I was in high school and had a vehicle. He was true to his word. Took my keys and I had to start riding the bus to school. Mom had to ride to work with someone who worked with her. It lasted about a month and he buys a 500 gallon tank and bought gas wholesale. Luckily it was under $1.00 per gallon wholesale but there was a catch. On Saturday morning I had to hand pump all the vehicles full of gas. He was still using that tank when I graduated State.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
That’s 2.37 in today’s money
$2.37 would be about 32% less than our current price of where we are today at approx $3.45 . That would make a huge difference.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Only after you took 50% of it and bought survival seeds.**

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
A president could stop imposing tariffs. Both Trump and Biden have done so however. Neither one have seemed to do good. Only brings pain to farmers and manufacturers.
Trump's tariffs were shoot from the hip and pretty high, if I recall. We are in a global economy, so imposing strict tariffs without the national production capabilities to offset it is just dumb. Honestly, pretending like a completely nationalistic policy is going to be the right answer is dumb. Finding some balance between national interests and international economic reality is the best path. If I had the answer for what exactly that looks like I'd write a book and retire.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
That’s 2.37 in today’s money
US average is $3.45 today. In 1995 Europe it was $3.50-$4/gallon; today it is $7-$8/gallon. The US has been paying a pittance for gas, compared to the rest of the world, forever. We see it as an entitlement. It seems like one day that formula has to break, right? I hope it doesn't, but it just seems odd to me that we have such a different idea of what expensive gas looks like than the whole rest of the world.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
$2.37 would be about 32% less than our current price of where we are today at approx $3.45 . That would make a huge difference.
I’m not disagreeing with you, just pointing out what it is in todays money.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Trump's tariffs were shoot from the hip and pretty high, if I recall. We are in a global economy, so imposing strict tariffs without the national production capabilities to offset it is just dumb. Honestly, pretending like a completely nationalistic policy is going to be the right answer is dumb. Finding some balance between national interests and international economic reality is the best path. If I had the answer for what exactly that looks like I'd write a book and retire.
Problem with Trumps tariffs is Biden continued them. Tariffs don’t work.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I remember my dad ranting and raving that when gas hit $1.00 per gallon we would no longer drive. He wasn’t paying it. I was in high school and had a vehicle. He was true to his word. Took my keys and I had to start riding the bus to school. Mom had to ride to work with someone who worked with her. It lasted about a month and he buys a 500 gallon tank and bought gas wholesale. Luckily it was under $1.00 per gallon wholesale but there was a catch. On Saturday morning I had to hand pump all the vehicles full of gas. He was still using that tank when I graduated State.

I absolutely love this story.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
But Trump did it with so much more bravado ****
Those tariffs accelerated Chinas foothold in South America with namely Brazil. They’ve pumped in billions of dollars to improve Brazils infrastructure to getting corn and soybeans out of Motto Grasso quicker to the ports to get it to China.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login