OT: Possible 1995ish economic outcome (warning, this article presents something potentially positive)

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Those tariffs accelerated Chinas foothold in South America with namely Brazil. They’ve pumped in billions of dollars to improve Brazils infrastructure to getting corn and soybeans out of Motto Grasso quicker to the ports to get it to China.
I remember when Jimmy Carter put Brazil and other South American countries in the soybean business with that ill-founded Russian grain embargo . Two great examples of the president having a hell of a lot more power than he had the sense to know how to use it.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I remember when Jimmy Carter put Brazil and other South American countries in the soybean business with that ill-founded Russian grain embargo . Two great examples of the president having a hell of a lot more power than he had the sense to know how to use it.
I bet Brazil wouldn't have figured out how to farm in the subsequent 50 years. FIRE CARTERS

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Dorn to the rescue!!!!!!!

They would be nowhere near what they are now if it weren’t for the embargo years.
Man I'm just participating in the conversation, why are you making it personal?

Considering Brazil is a borderline G8 economy these days, I thought it a bit odd to blame events from nearly 50 years ago. I guess it happened sooner, but also there were valid reasons to do the embargo on the Rooskies (in hindsight it was overall bad policy) - which obviously had negative effects for some.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
We do not want that. We want goods to have low inflation to allow wages to catch back up. I haven’t heard an example of a country coming out better after deflation.
I just learned this week that the Roaring 20s started with two years of serious deflation. 15% per year.

I do think we saw a shift in the wrong direction when preventing a stock crash went from saving a lot of money for a very few people....to saving the retirements of nearly half the country (and thus half the voters) and a lot more money.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020

Considering Brazil is a borderline G8 economy these days, I thought it a bit odd to blame events from nearly 50 years ago. I guess it happened sooner, but also there were valid reasons to do the embargo on the Rooskies (in hindsight it was overall bad policy) - which obviously had negative effects for some.
It's hard to believe they are doing that well when so much of their population lives in shanty towns.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Those tariffs accelerated Chinas foothold in South America with namely Brazil. They’ve pumped in billions of dollars to improve Brazils infrastructure to getting corn and soybeans out of Motto Grasso quicker to the ports to get it to China.
We sold the country to China for good somewhere around 2008. Putting this wet noodle back in the box isn't going to happen. This society is hell bent addicted to cheap *** Chinese goods and we are watching China buy up farmland everywhere.

I don't believe the answer is to dump more of the same into china's lap though.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007

FOR SOME ????? It had an effect on every grain farmer in this country. His reasoning was no more valid than Trump's tariffs. Both were knee jerk moves.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
FOR SOME ????? It had an effect on every grain farmer in this country. His reasoning was no more valid than Trump's tariffs. Both were knee jerk moves.
It helped cause the worst farm economy since the Great Depression. The 80s were an absolutely horrible time to farm. So many people had to sell and get out and it completely changed the landscape in our area.

Reactions: Chesusdog

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
US average is $3.45 today. In 1995 Europe it was $3.50-$4/gallon; today it is $7-$8/gallon. The US has been paying a pittance for gas, compared to the rest of the world, forever. We see it as an entitlement. It seems like one day that formula has to break, right? I hope it doesn't, but it just seems odd to me that we have such a different idea of what expensive gas looks like than the whole rest of the world.
We have some advantages as far as natural resources, refining capacity, the size of our economy, and the occasional restriction on exports that help make gas cheaper for us, but a lot of the difference is we just don't punch ourselves in the dick as much with policy intended to make gas more expensive. I don't see why that would have to end.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It helped cause the worst farm economy since the Great Depression. The 80s were an absolutely horrible time to farm. So many people had to sell and get out and it completely changed the landscape in our area.
season 20 20x1 GIF by South Park

I do remember how bad it affected the smaller farms in our rural area. Watching those small family farms in my area going under was no fun. In the 1980s there was a lot of economic growth in this country, but it wasn't in the farmland.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
season 20 20x1 GIF by South Park

I do remember how bad it affected the smaller farms in our rural area. Watching those small family farms in my area going under was no fun. In the 1980s there was a lot of economic growth in this country, but it wasn't in the farmland.
Yep, watched family lose everything during those years.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

From a guy who legitimately came from a farming family. Carter is apparently a very good person. Idiot as a president.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
From a guy who legitimately came from a farming family. Carter is apparently a very good person. Idiot as a president.
Carter is probably one the most genuine presidents we’ve ever had. Incredible person. He just had a lot on his plate in his presidency and ended up making some poor decisions.

Reactions: She Mate Me

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006

His name is still a curse among many in Louisiana for how bad he screwed the rice farmers.

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
I remember my dad ranting and raving that when gas hit $1.00 per gallon we would no longer drive. He wasn’t paying it. I was in high school and had a vehicle. He was true to his word. Took my keys and I had to start riding the bus to school. Mom had to ride to work with someone who worked with her. It lasted about a month and he buys a 500 gallon tank and bought gas wholesale. Luckily it was under $1.00 per gallon wholesale but there was a catch. On Saturday morning I had to hand pump all the vehicles full of gas. He was still using that tank when I graduated State.
Hell yeah.

Your dad is a bad ***.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login