OT - Property Taxes - County vs Starkville

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
We own a condo in the county. Non homestead property taxes are high, but we've always heard property taxes in Starkville proper are even higher. We are currently looking at property inside the city, anyone with any idea on the difference in taxes between the two and any other fees that come with living in the city limits?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Only thing I've got to go by was a couple years ago when city was trying to annex everything from out by the MSU golf course to campus. I asked her about taxes and millage and based on the then property value of my place (at that time about $250,000) out that way she said it would cost me about $1,200 more per year than what I was paying the county then.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Only thing I've got to go by was a couple years ago when city was trying to annex everything from out by the MSU golf course to campus. I asked her about taxes and millage and based on the then property value of my place (at that time about $250,000) out that way she said it would cost me about $1,200 more per year than what I was paying the county then.
That adds up quickly. I'd like to find 5+ acres near town, but in the county, let me know if you see anything like that. I'm also open to a house in town.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
That adds up quickly. I'd like to find 5+ acres near town, but in the county, let me know if you see anything like that. I'm also open to a house in town.
The mayor was asked also what that extra $1200 would get a resident and all she could come up w/ was an extra garbage pick up a week from 1x to twice, "the best police force around" to which the resident replied that he had been out there 8 years and never had to call the sheriffs dept, a sewer system instead of a septic tank which within a year wasn't the case anymore because East Oktibbeha Sewer got a USDA grant and built a system out there, a higher fire rating and lower insurance costs which was not true because it was the same as the city surprisingly after the East OK County Fire Dept had gotten recently upgraded. In other words residents out there weren't going to get anything in return by being in the city limits

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
In other words residents out there weren't going to get anything in return by being in the city limits
I think this is usually the case. I'd be glad to pay lower taxes and go to one day/week garbage pick up. The majority of my life was spent in an area with zero trash pick up, so once a week is plenty for me.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

jwtorch

Jun 15, 2023
We own a condo in the county. Non homestead property taxes are high, but we've always heard property taxes in Starkville proper are even higher. We are currently looking at property inside the city, anyone with any idea on the difference in taxes between the two and any other fees that come with living in the city limits?
Don't know about Oktibbeha, but as you probably know things are considerably higher in Gunader in the city. The county part of my bill is around 70-75% of my total. MS seems to have much higher property taxes than AL where I work. Car tags & car insurance suck, too.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Don't know about Oktibbeha, but as you probably know things are considerably higher in Gunader in the city. The county part of my bill is around 70-75% of my total. MS seems to have much higher property taxes than AL where I work. Car tags & car insurance suck, too.
Our taxes in Carroll County seem reasonable. Of course we get very little in services. There's usually only two or three deputies on duty at one time for the entire county, which i don't have a problem with. My dad, RIP, was always pissed about how may paved roads y'all have in the county vs how many gravel roads there still are in Carroll.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Our taxes in Carroll County seem reasonable. Of course we get very little in services. There's usually only two or three deputies on duty at one time for the entire county, which i don't have a problem with. My dad, RIP, was always pissed about how may paved roads y'all have in the county vs how many gravel roads there still are in Carroll.
I didn't have any complaints when I lived there. Especially car tags compared to Leflore County.

jwtorch

Jun 15, 2023
District 3 was awesome when I was a kid. It sucks now (unless you live near the just voted out supervisor). Actually grew up just across the line in Calhoun & we were always pissed about the roads, too :)

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login