OT:PSA Camping/Travel Season

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I think I shared this last year, but I couldn't find it if I did. I just got mine yesterday and figured I would share it with the pack.

If you camp, hike, bike, fish, or otherwise recreate at the 2,000+ recreation locations operated by the National Park Service, US Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, US Fish and Wildlife Service, or The Army Corps of Engineers you may be eligible for a free annual or lifetime pass or a discounted lifetime pass. This covers entrance fees for the entire vehicle, but not stuff like campsites or canoe rentals etc. This was a new law passed last year and seems like one of those things that could go away with future budget cuts.. The passes are currently $80 for an annual pass for individuals that don't fit into a category below.

• If you are active military or reserve you get a free annual pass.
  • If you are a veteran or gold star family member you get a free lifetime pass.
  • If you have a child going into the 4th grade, they can get you a free pass valid from September 23'-August 24. If the child is currently in 4th grade it will be from now until August 23'.
  • If you or a child are permanently disabled you get a free access pass which also lets you get discounts on other amenities like campsites etc.
  • If you are an old (over 62) you can get a discounted annual pass for $20 or spend the $80 for a lifetime pass... Which could be a gamble, because at that age do you really have 4 more years left to justify it?***
  • You can also volunteer 250 hours and get a free one, but that's not really free in my book. Seems like a really cheap perk for 6 weeks of volunteering.

If you are close to a park that offers the passes you can pick it up for free, just take your documentation. Can also be ordered off the USGS link below for a $10 processing fee.

Federal Recreation Passes

Now get outside you lazy baśtards.***

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Hey Poo, I have been seeing the info from Wyoming and Utah on the terrible winter kill situation in those States. Shocking mortality on the deer and antelope. Lesser but still significant mortality on elk and moose in some areas. How are you guys making out in Idaho?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login