OT - Queen of Classic Rock

Who is the queen of classic rock?

• Total voters

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
If you want a real treat that can literally give you goosebumps, listen to this video. It's one of their live covers of Zeppelin's Rock & Roll (Been A Long Time). The whole band is fantastic, but Ann's voice should just floor you! Listen to the roar of the crowd after they finish. Makes you wish you had been there because it was an unforgettable performance for those who witnessed it live.

I challenge you to find a live performance from any of the ladies on the list that comes close to what this incredible woman can do.

If you liked that, check this out for a "change-of-pace". If you want to skip to Ann's vocals you can go to the 2 minute mark, but you'll miss a kick-*** Mandolin intro from Nancy & Howard Leese.

And this one is probably the softest, sweetest song they ever wrote & sang. No belting out with that huge voice, just sweet, light, airy and clean. Great song to listen to when you're stressed out & in need of some soothing.

Last edited:

skipperDawg

Dec 23, 2023
Ann and Nancy have my Heart. They are incredible. Thanks for all the clips.

Ronstadt is to me what Hoff is to you youngsters.

But that said, while it's doubtful anybody would hit it, this ***** was the Mother 17n Mother of Rock & Roll.

I think too many people hit it..
But I’ll defer to the sixpack speak resident hitter.
You know who you are

skipperDawg

Dec 23, 2023
:ROFLMAO: When I was much. much younger, a teenager, I was deeply into music, both listening and performing. Before reality set in I thought I was going to pursue a career in music...perhaps as a teacher or vocal coach. But when I learned I couldn't make much money doing that, I left that behind me to go in another direction.

But I never lost my strong connection to music, not just enjoying the music/songs I liked, but also having an appreciation for who I considered to be great musicians, especially vocalists. I have always enjoyed listening for the nuances & subtle things I knew were behind these performers & performances. So when I hear one that I know is truly exceptional...even if I may not be a fan of their music, it sticks out to me.

This is cross genre for me. For instance, I'm a huge fan of Ray Price. I do love several of his songs, but I also really get into what I notice about his voice and technique. Within country I could add Eddy Arnold and a couple of others. Of course, Patsy Kline is a slam-dunk for anyone.

And then there is the acoustic guitar-playing of Red Shea, particularly on the Gordon Lightfoot hit, "Sundown". The more subtle parts of what he does backing Lightfoot go beyond what sounds good. There is tremendous skill that contributes a ton to the success of that song. He has a way of perfectly playing what's needed to "connect" the lines sung by Lightfoot. If you didn't already know this, take a listen to Sundown, but this time focus on the acoustic guitar playing rhythm.

Ella Fitzgerald for jazz. Another jazz performer that blows me away is Diana Krall.

Anyway, during those teens years on the rock side besides Heart I got into Boston & ELO. Both of those bands had some serious genius going on. Liked a ton more, but those are the ones that stood out to me beyond just liking the songs and how they sounded.
I like it brother. I grew up n 70’s. One of the top 5 concerts was heart at mud island. Ann was fantastic..slim , belting out sounds, and Nancy was there leading guitar and leg kicks.
The cover of Zeppelin Rock and roll was fantastic
Shame what happened to Ann medically, but she’s still fighting it.

Reactions: blacklistedbully

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
I like every one of the women on this list, but have to agree "Classic Rock" IMO doesn't quite fit all of them. Of the ones that do, IMO, it's Ann Wilson hands down.

Success in 70's 80's & 90's...still going strong today with their recent tour getting high marks. She wrote or co-wrote most of Heart's best songs, and there are a ton of them. Grammys, R&R HOF, plays flute & acoustic guitar in addition to being one of the greatest vocalists of all time, regardless of genre.

She and her sister Nancy ran Heart from the beginning in a time when women weren't really thought able to do so in Hard Rock. She & Nancy also are responsible for changing their industry in a huge way, helping all recording artists by suing Mushroom Records and winning, giving musicians more legal protection of the music they create.

That voice! Absolutely stunning. Tremendous power but with perfect control. Listen closely to how well she "manipulates" her voice in several songs. Can also sing soft and sweet songs. Nobody on the list has near as dynamic a singing voice. None close to her range. And none of them have nearly as many Top 40 hits written or co-written as her.

Here's a video analysis given by Elizabeth Zharoff,an international opera singer and voice coach, with 3 degrees in voice, opera, and music production. She knows a thing or two about the subject.

At age 27:

At age 63:

Truth.

Ann Wilson's voice is incredible.

I wonder what it feels like to be able to sing like that?

If you are not moved when you listen to "Barracuda," then you have no soul.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Truth.

Ann Wilson's voice is incredible.

I wonder what it feels like to be able to sing like that?

If you are not moved when you listen to "Barracuda," then you have no soul.
Saw these girls play last year. Thought, man, that singer reminds me of Ann Wilson. Then they broke out this cover. Takes some guts to cover this song.

Reactions: dog12

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
I like it brother. I grew up n 70’s. One of the top 5 concerts was heart at mud island. Ann was fantastic..slim , belting out sounds, and Nancy was there leading guitar and leg kicks.
The cover of Zeppelin Rock and roll was fantastic
Shame what happened to Ann medically, but she’s still fighting it.
Yeah, cancer is no joke. Surgically removed, but now also on chemo. I've had two close friends and a sister go through that. One friend went into remission for a year, but it came back, and because the chemo was so horrible for her she elected to not do it again, knowing it meant she would be dead in 3-6 months. Thank God my sister has been in remission for several years now.

Though they have canceled their remaining tour, Ann has said she plans to return to touring in 2025. From what I've heard, the tour was going great. They've been in the news a lot for it, all glowing reviews, many saying stuff like they've resurrected themselves yet again.

Man, I'd hate for the world to lose her too soon. Generational talent doesn't go far enough to describe her, IMO.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
If you want a real treat that can literally give you goosebumps, listen to this video. It's one of their live covers of Zeppelin's Rock & Roll (Been A Long Time). The whole band is fantastic, but Ann's voice should just floor you! Listen to the roar of the crowd after they finish. Makes you wish you had been there because it was an unforgettable performance for those who witnessed it live.

I challenge you to find a live performance from any of the ladies on the list that comes close to what this incredible woman can do.

There are very few ladies have ever come close to having a voice like in Nancy Wilson. Within the classic rock world fewpeople who can rival her abilities, male or female.

Reactions: blacklistedbully

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Saw these girls play last year. Thought, man, that singer reminds me of Ann Wilson. Then they broke out this cover. Takes some guts to cover this song.

She's a very good singer. That said, not close to the way AW uses her vocal skills. This one has great range and a similar voice, though. Like I said before, you can be a great vocalist and still not hold a candle to AW.

Something happens in this vid that makes me think they are mixing in some other stuff. At about the 3:33 mark the lead goes back to the drummer for a conversation, then goes to the blonde and tt her. Not entirely sure they are still playing the guitar licks I am hearing during that time. Then about 4:05 the lead singer goes back to the drummer, the blonde follows and there is a sudden and awkward change for a few seconds. It seemed unnatural to me. The transition was off, and it seems to me even the volume seemed like it didn't flow correctly. The timing of the guitar playing also was suspicious, IMO.

Still, very entertaining. But here's the real deal. A live concert from 1977. Lousy videotape tech from that era, but still enough to tell the diff.

Then watch this...I believe from the same 1977 concert. The difference in talent is clear.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
There are very few ladies have ever come close to having a voice like in Nancy Wilson. Within the classic rock world fewpeople who can rival her abilities, male or female.

Agree, but think you meant to say Ann, not Nancy. That said, Nancy is a fantastic singer in her own right. One of my Heart favorites is These Dreams with Nancy's lead vocals. She doesn't have close to the power or versatility of Ann, but there is a warmth and sweetness that is sublime. And she can bring that "gritty" guttural voice out on command, and like her big sis, can flawlessly transition. In another band she might could have been very successful as the lead singer.

And another Nancy took lead vocals on for Heart, a Top 20 single:

If you haven't heard any of the tracks from her album, Nancy Wilson Live at McCabes Guitar Shop, you're in for a treat. Here's a couple. Even It Up is a cover of one of the songs Ann sang leads on originally. All of these are Nancy sitting on a small stage with just her acoustic guitar and just a little backup singing way in the backgroud,

Even It Up

These Dreams

Plenty of performers who can do it in the studio where they can polish it before anybody hears, or these days when auto-voice correction is damn good...even live. But this is just Nancy and her guitar...no processor.

Follow this link if you want to hear you some authentic Nancy, live, acoustic-only, and yet another example of how freakin' amazing she is on guitar! 13 songs total.

Last edited:

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
That whole show was incredible. Seeing Zep and others in the audience like Obama getting into it rocked.
Saw Heart back around '79 when Ann was slim & trim.
The first ones to jump to their feet with a standing ovation were Led Zeppelin. A couple of them were brought to tears during the performance and after. It really was something. Apparently there is a longer version out there making it even better. Supposedly ,more from before the took the stage and after.

I saw Ann & Nancy being interviewed by Dan Rather and they talked about that performance. They were nervous as hell up until they took the stage. Led Zeppelin and The Beatles were their 2 biggest inspirations. They have always been in awe of Zeppelin.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Anon1704414204

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Agree, but think you meant to say Ann, not Nancy. That said, Nancy is a fantastic singer in her own right. One of my Heart favorites is These Dreams with Nancy's lead vocals. She doesn't have close to the power or versatility of Ann, but there is a warmth and sweetness that is sublime. And she can bring that "gritty" guttural voice out on command, and like her big sis, can flawlessly transition. In another band she might could have been very successful as the lead singer.

And another Nancy took lead vocals on for Heart, a Top 20 single:

If you haven't heard any of the tracks from her album, Nancy Wilson Live at McCabes Guitar Shop, you're in for a treat. Here's a couple. Even It Up is a cover of one of the songs Ann sang leads on originally. All of these are Nancy sitting on a small stage with just her acoustic guitar and just a little backup singing way in the backgroud,

Even It Up

These Dreams

Plenty of performers who can do it in the studio where they can polish it before anybody hears, or these days when auto-voice correction is damn good...even live. But this is just Nancy and her guitar...no processor.

Follow this link if you want to hear you some authentic Nancy, live, acoustic-only, and yet another example of how freakin' amazing she is on guitar! 13 songs total.

You are correct. Long day.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Joan Jett is not only the Queen of Rock & Roll, she’s maybe in my top 5 artists of all time. I love Stevie Nicks, but take away Fleetwood Mac and how does she stand on her own? Joan Jett’s career took off after she left The Runaways, but I don’t think Stevie’s improved after she left Fleetwood Mac.

Nick's is in the Rock HOF as a solo act as well as with Fleetwood. So, she stands on her own pretty well.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
I would vote for a singer and musician as a top front person. Ann Wilson certainly fits that bill with a great voice and guitar playing ability. And yes, Freddie Mercury would have certainly been my top vote for the men. He was an unbelievable singer and fabulous musician/songwriter.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
PJ Harvey is my favorite female performer. She's not "classic rock" but she is more alt rock as she became popular in the 90s grunge world scene via the desert sessions (QOTSA).
I've performed a few of her songs (drums) in a former band and the percussion parts are fun as hell. Very underrated.

Digging dog

Aug 22, 2012
Stevie Nicks was/ has been my all time favorite.

I’ve seen her a few times.
1st time was 83 with Joe Walsh
Also with FM

Side note: I remember Joan Jett playing in the Junction (I think before the amphitheater) in 86.
anybody remember if my memory is correct?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login