OT: RDJ returning to Marvel as Doctor Doom

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022

Been a frankly rough few years for the MCU, and now with the Jonathan Majors drama they have ditched all the Kang plans and are pivoting to Downey but now as the villain. Wow.

Next Avengers movie will be called Doomsday, before they then do the Secret Wars movie.

Reactions: Anon1704414204

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024

Been a frankly rough few years for the MCU, and now with the Jonathan Majors drama they have ditched all the Kang plans and are pivoting to Downey but now as the villain. Wow.

Next Avengers movie will be called Doomsday, before they then do the Secret Wars movie.

As kids in the mid 70's we obsessed over Marvel Comics and couldn't wait till the new issues showed up at the stores. Surprised Hollywood took so long to capitalize. Looking forward to more

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

Now that is how you make a reveal.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Did not see that one coming. I am in wait and see mode on this. Doom is too important not to get right.

Reactions: mcdawg22

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

Should be good. Probably would have been better with a different, top actor.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Should be good. Probably would have been better with a different, top actor.
That’s my thing. I suspect it’s going to be Tony stark from a different dimension who goes into full dictator mode while in his “shield around the world” phase. It would have been better to get a really first rate European actor with serious gravitas and started from scratch. This unfortunately reeks a little bit of desperation due to how bad the past few years have been

that being said, bring it on

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
That’s my thing. I suspect it’s going to be Tony stark from a different dimension who goes into full dictator mode while in his “shield around the world” phase. It would have been better to get a really first rate European actor with serious gravitas and started from scratch. This unfortunately reeks a little bit of desperation due to how bad the past few years have been

Yeah I’m of the same mind. Interested, but it does feel like a cheap marketing ploy. A la the original cast and Palpatine being in the Star Wars sequels.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

Yeah. I suspect they were desperate to get RDJ to sign back on, and he'd only do it as a villain. Why they didn't go with Giancarlo Esposito for this is a mystery. Maybe this is all misdirection?

Sadly, I think they cop out on it. He has a turn of heart at the end. It will be the Russo brothers though, they haven't let us down yet. I'm guessing this run will put the Avengers to bed, and the MCU will be reborn as an x-men franchise.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Yeah. I suspect they were desperate to get RDJ to sign back on, and he'd only do it as a villain. Why they didn't go with Giancarlo Esposito for this is a mystery. Maybe this is all misdirection?

Sadly, I think they cop out on it. He has a turn of heart at the end. It will be the Russo brothers though, they haven't let us down yet. I'm guessing this run will put the Avengers to bed, and the MCU will be reborn as an x-men franchise.
Esposito is playing a bad guy in the new Captain America film

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

Russo brothers won’t screw this up. Theyre too good at it.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
As kids in the mid 70's we obsessed over Marvel Comics and couldn't wait till the new issues showed up at the stores. Surprised Hollywood took so long to capitalize. Looking forward to more
70s and 80s superhero effects were limited. Technology had to advance enough to make a blade movie badass

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

Yeah after the last year or two of crap I noticed the cast they are putting in these movies goes back to stronger well known popular actors. Ford, Espisito, Mackie, RDJ, and others.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
I prefer the more realistic and less outlandish movies. The one where everybody started turning into dust wasn't my cup of tea. The Thor and Iron Man shows were great. Captain America was great. Avengers great. Wish Hulk had limited communication skills like the comics. Not sure I'll be into all these "different dimensions" and schit or RDJ being Dr Doom. Got too used to him as Iron Man.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I prefer the more realistic and less outlandish movies. The one where everybody started turning into dust wasn't my cup of tea. The Thor and Iron Man shows were great. Captain America was great. Avengers great. Wish Hulk had limited communication skills like the comics. Not sure I'll be into all these "different dimensions" and schit or RDJ being Dr Doom. Got too used to him as Iron Man.
There’s a versions of Hulk in the comics where he communicates like he does now so it’s not like they pulled that out of thin air.

Reactions: Mack Rebennack

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
"Hulk Smash"... "Puny Humans".. *Hulk Not Like"... I musta missed the movie where he says stuff like that.
He calls Loki “Puny god” after he throws him around into the floor in The Avengers. Captain America tells him to smash in that movie as well. He talks pretty primitive like that in Thor: Ragnorok.

Reactions: mcdawg22

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Here’s my big question.

Who are the main Avengers even going to be in the Avengers movie?

There was a clear direction with the previous Avengers movies but it’s so dang spread out now that I don’t have a clue what the plan is.

If the plan is for Falcon/the new Captain America to be the leader I think that’s a big misstep. Spider-Man is the biggest named character but I’m not sure how they get him in the mix based on how his last movie ended. Chadwick Boseman is sadly no longer with us so it probably won’t be Black Panther.

Thor? Strange? But last we saw them they were setting up other things not related to this.

Marvel has a crap ton of things to tie together and not much time to do it.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Yeah, doesn't appear to be a major, recurring role. Hopefully that's misdirection. But I doubt it.
He’s sidewinder. Head of the serpent society. Appears they are going to make it realistic and not have a bunch of guys dress up like snakes. I am really happy and yet somehow also somewhat sad about that at the same time .

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
He’s sidewinder. Head of the serpent society. Appears they are going to make it realistic and not have a bunch of guys dress up like snakes. I am really happy and yet somehow also somewhat sad about that at the same time .
Ugh. What a waste of his talent. I mean, I'm sure he'll carry the movie, but he could have been so much more.

• Haha
Reactions: Mack Rebennack

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Ugh. What a waste of his talent. I mean, I'm sure he'll carry the movie, but he could have been so much more.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I like the Avengers, but you can't have Dr. Doom without the Fantastic Four.
They’ll certainly be involved. But I do think it’s fascinating that they seem to be banking heavily on the F4 and Doom working considering the following:

1. None of those characters have ever appeared in the MCU to date (other than the brief John Krasinski cameo)
2. Marvel has not been doing too hot the last few years in terms of quality
3. There has never been a good adaptation of the Fantastic 4 or Dr. Doom in live action film.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
They’ll certainly be involved. But I do think it’s fascinating that they seem to be banking heavily on the F4 and Doom working considering the following:

1. None of those characters have ever appeared in the MCU to date (other than the brief John Krasinski cameo)
2. Marvel has not been doing too hot the last few years in terms of quality
3. There has never been a good adaptation of the Fantastic 4 or Dr. Doom in live action film.
It's a weird path. I do think the avoidance of a slow burn is an intentional reaction to the poor reception of Phase 4.

Will they recast Doom after this? Seems like you couldn't as you've set TS up as DD. They could have had variant Tony be the villain without being DD. That's a waste of the long term potential of DD, but it makes sense if they aren't dragging the Avengers out past this. And DD has been the villain of all 3 live action movies already. So it makes sense to avoid him for MCU FF sequels.

So, go for broke with 2 more Avengers movies, then reboot via it into an Xmen franchise, with cameos from this era only.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
It's a weird path. I do think the avoidance of a slow burn is an intentional reaction to the poor reception of Phase 4.

Will they recast Doom after this? Seems like you couldn't as you've set TS up as DD. They could have had variant Tony be the villain without being DD. That's a waste of the long term potential of DD, but it makes sense if they aren't dragging the Avengers out past this. And DD has been the villain of all 3 live action movies already. So it makes sense to avoid him for MCU FF sequels.

So, go for broke with 2 more Avengers movies, then reboot via it into an Xmen franchise, with cameos from this era only.
I think that’s where they are going

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

Well, I hear now that RDJ is NOT playing a TS varient. He is playing Victor Von Doom. That makes even less sense.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
It's a bit of a head-scratcher, but if they just entertain me I'm in. I agree, the Russo Bros are a bigger get than RDJ.

Will Doom be masked the entire movie? That may help if they never show RDJ's face. I don't know the comics that well.

Jacknut

Sep 29, 2022
It's a bit of a head-scratcher, but if they just entertain me I'm in. I agree, the Russo Bros are a bigger get than RDJ.

Will Doom be masked the entire movie? That may help if they never show RDJ's face. I don't know the comics that well.
He will be (and should be) unless they show his origin story.

AT4 Dawg

Sep 18, 2012

No he won’t. RDJ, as much as I like him, wouldn’t go an entire movie without showing his face. Do you not remember Iron Man 3 ? He spent 90% of the movie not being Iron Man. Besides-if he doesn’t show his face what’s the point of making him Dr Doom?

Jacknut

Sep 29, 2022
No he won’t. RDJ, as much as I like him, wouldn’t go an entire movie without showing his face. Do you not remember Iron Man 3 ? He spent 90% of the movie not being Iron Man. Besides-if he doesn’t show his face what’s the point of making him Dr Doom?
Because he's Tony Stark. Not showing his face would be perfect to let him act another character, but not confuse the normies about Iron Man.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login