OT: RDJ returning to Marvel as Doctor Doom

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Because he's Tony Stark. Not showing his face would be perfect to let him act another character, but not confuse the normies about Iron Man.
But there's no way they do that. Which is why this makes no sense.

Maybe Doom clones himself into a clone of TS so he can access his tech to use the (reconstituted) infinity stones? See, this is ridiculous. Even for a comic book movie.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I think there has been a fait accompli with the MCU. Everyone is invested with the Avengers fighting bad guys on earth, but the characters just keep getting stronger and stronger. As some point you run out of feasible scenarios for the original cast and setting. What’s next after destroying a being that can snap away all existence? Avengers vs Kingpin and Bullseye? That’s a 30 second movie. The comics get away with it because their consumers can get behind suspension of disbelief but John Q. Public moviegoer has to have some semblance of realism (minus a guy that’s good at shooting arrows and a girl that kicks real good.) That’s why they have to go to different universes and timelines.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I think there has been a fait accompli with the MCU. Everyone is invested with the Avengers fighting bad guys on earth, but the characters just keep getting stronger and stronger. As some point you run out of feasible scenarios for the original cast and setting. What’s next after destroying a being that can snap away all existence? Avengers vs Kingpin and Bullseye? That’s a 30 second movie. The comics get away with it because their consumers can get behind suspension of disbelief but John Q. Public moviegoer has to have some semblance of realism (minus a guy that’s good at shooting arrows and a girl that kicks real good.) That’s why they have to go to different universes and timelines.
Doom and Galactus are high level villains.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Doom and Galactus are high level villains.
Doom is the first thing they have done in a long time that I have been excited about. if they get him right he can carry it for years.

I admittedly was excited about Deadpool and Wolverine, but that was a standalone movie as it should have been

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Doom is the first thing they have done in a long time that I have been excited about. if they get him right he can carry it for years.

I admittedly was excited about Deadpool and Wolverine, but that was a standalone movie as it should have been
I’m willing to bet we will see them again in Secret Wars.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Dr. Strange 2. I think it was just a one off to appease to fans who had been clamoring for him as Reed Richards on social media. Pedro Pascal is playing Reed in the new movie.
That's a good example of what Marvel may do. They took a Doctor Strange #2 movie and made it center on two other characters other than Doctor Strange. All bets are off on how they might use RDJ. It is a crime what they did to Doctor Strange his own movie.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
That's a good example of what Marvel may do. They took a Doctor Strange #2 movie and made it center on two other characters other than Doctor Strange. All bets are off on how they might use RDJ. It is a crime what they did to Doctor Strange his own movie.
That movie just felt like a big misfire.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
So was Antman and the Wasp Quantimania. That was a gigantic whiff.
I honestly bailed circa Summer 2022. Dr. Strange 2 is the most recent Marvel movie I’ve seen. But very little since that point has done well critically and the box office hasn’t been booming as much either.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I honestly bailed circa Summer 2022. Dr. Strange 2 is the most recent Marvel movie I’ve seen. But very little since that point has done well critically and the box office hasn’t been booming as much either.
You had to anticipate the dropoff. You spent 10 years with characters that you have gotten to know through as many as 7 movies, then all of them are going to take a back seat to this new group of characters that were supporting roles or not even on the movies, not to mention less well known superheroes. I’m sure that is what they are trying to do with the D+ series but it doesn’t have the same effect.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
You had to anticipate the dropoff. You spent 10 years with characters that you have gotten to know through as many as 7 movies, then all of them are going to take a back seat to this new group of characters that were supporting roles or not even on the movies, not to mention less well known superheroes. I’m sure that is what they are trying to do with the D+ series but it doesn’t have the same effect.
Disney+ happened. They diluted the stories and the amount of work going into each of them.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Partly, but also many of those movies/series were just of low quality.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Disney+ happened. They diluted the stories and the amount of work going into each of them.
Yeah I’ve gotta say I think Disney+ has maybe done them more harm than good generally speaking. Not all the shows have been bad (some have), but it has just stretched things out too much to keep up with. This was already a complaint by some pre-D+, but now it’s obviously far worse.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login