OT: Refrigerators

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Begrudgingly have to replace my old one. Who is making the best and the worst these days.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
This is such a timely topic. All I have heard (from three repairman and two co-workers) is to avoid any LG or Samsung fridges. You might get very lucky and have one that works, but heaven forbid you have a problem with them.

I'm looking at Maytag, Whirlpool, GE, and KitchenAid.

MrKotter

Aug 22, 2012
Stay away from Samsung and you'll be ok. Parts for Whirlpool/Maytag and GE are readily available so your down time won't be very long when it inevitably craps out

Maytag , whirlpool and kitchenaide are all whirlpool. Just a FYI

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Begrudgingly have to replace my old one. Who is making the best and the worst these days.
I couldn’t get a ge or Maytag in a timely fashion that I liked, so I stuck with whirlpool. It’s fine. What I need is an upright deep freeze that doesn’t cost a grand

Reactions: STATEgrad04

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I've had good luck with GE stuff over the years.
We got the GE we have now in 2011 with the house we bought at that time. The damn thing is over 30 years old and runs like a champ. Needs a door gasket and some other odds and ins...about $300 worth. Wife says we'd be crazy to spend that on an appliance that old...repair man says even at it's age it'll probably still out last anything we buy today. I admit it certainly looks dated but the quality of this new crap is just heartbreaking.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017

was21

May 29, 2007
If you do, what you'll see is them recommending about 20 LG models, followed closely by Samsung. CR is not a trustworthy source, at least anymore.
Just checked it. Actually they don't recommend any Samsung, but they do recommend some Whirlpool,
Frigidaire, LG, and GE. It depends on which model you prefer. September 2021 issue. They have a high recommendation for a Whirlpool top-freezer fridge for $590 which is a very good deal. I've followed CR for years and never been burned on anything they recommend. I'll admit that what they make nowadays pales in quality to what they used to make. So CR has to rate whatever is available, maybe they have to grade on the curve.

Last edited:
Reactions: dawgman42

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
These topics always make me laugh because it's crazy how often experiences seem to be on polar opposite ends of the spectrum. I have several LG and Samsung appliances that I've never had the slightest issue with whereas everything Maytag, Whirlpool, or Frigidaire that I've ever owned has either fallen apart or we're in the process of replacing it

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
These topics always make me laugh because it's crazy how often experiences seem to be on polar opposite ends of the spectrum. I have several LG and Samsung appliances that I've never had the slightest issue with whereas everything Maytag, Whirlpool, or Frigidaire that I've ever owned has either fallen apart or we're in the process of replacing it
LOL Wife recently went against all the customer "reviews" claiming Bosch dishwashers were unbearably noisy and bought one anyway. Literally the quietest appliance we've ever owned.

Reactions: Anon1664516582

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
We bought a French door/lower drawer freezer GE (I think it's called Prestige) about 14 years ago and the only issue we've had was with the ice maker. The fix was under warranty and his been fine since then.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I have had a frigidaire gallery for two years and have been happy with it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If you do, what you'll see is them recommending about 20 LG models, followed closely by Samsung. CR is not a trustworthy source, at least anymore.
I don’t care what CR recommends, every LG appliance my sister has owned gave them problems within a couple of years. I’m not buying an appliance made by an electronics company. CR also recommends front load washers even though the residential models are all garbage.

Reactions: was21 and dawgman42

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
I'll second the recommendation for the French doors with freezer on the bottom. We have a Kitchen Aid and have been mostly happy with it. We did run into an issue with the automatic defrost causing a slow ice buildup. It was fixed under warranty.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
LOL Wife recently went against all the customer "reviews" claiming Bosch dishwashers were unbearably noisy and bought one anyway. Literally the quietest appliance we've ever owned.
I love our Bosch dishwasher. If It isn't loading or draining water the only way I know it is running is by the red light it shines on the floor.

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
Don't do like me and buy a really nice, high-end Samsung and find out from SPS that's it's about the worst so pay $195 per year for the extended warranty! And, of course, in 3 years I haven't had a problem with it.

Last edited:

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
I just remodeled my kitchen at the lake property. Samsung one and all: Fridge, Microwave, Dishwasher and Gas Stove. Damn, you guys. You better be freaking wrong.

I got a huge deal on the gas stove as it was discontinued model - retail was $2,200 or so and I got it for $580 after discontinued discount, an employee purchase discount and then my discount for putting it on my card. That won't make up for having tons of issues that can't be fixed.

I will say they look nice.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
The worst rated refrigerator pre Covid is probably better than anything post Covid. Buying any appliances in the last two years is an absolute crapshoot. We have a five year old Maytag, love the refrigerator, hate the ice maker. It has optional cubed or crushed ice, regardless of what it’s set on the first ice out of the dispenser is going to be crushed. I had it replaced under warranty and the new one does the same thing. Service guy told me that all of them do it and you just learn to live with it. I hate crushed ice in my drinks. I keep an old fashioned ice tray in the freezer for any liquor on the rocks.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I bought the American brands my entire life. Had little to no issues with Whirlpool, GE, KitchenAid, etc. Last year I bought a Samsung with the 4 doors. The first Gen of it had some issues they supposedly fixed. So far I haven’t any issues, but it’s only been 12 months. From features perspective, it’s superior to the American brands. I do have concerns of the longevity of it.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
We got the GE we have now in 2011 with the house we bought at that time. The damn thing is over 30 years old and runs like a champ. Needs a door gasket and some other odds and ins...about $300 worth. Wife says we'd be crazy to spend that on an appliance that old...repair man says even at it's age it'll probably still out last anything we buy today. I admit it certainly looks dated but the quality of this new crap is just heartbreaking.
Similar. GE double oven lasted about 15 years, replaced the control board once. Ge fridge lasted about 17 years then the auto-defrost drain line started leaking and i was in a time pinch so i opted for new over repair. Technically it still "worked". GE dishwasher is almost 19 years old and still works fine. It has a new and unusual noise now and again, but it's still kicking. Finally the GE microwave made almost 19 years as well. It technically still worked, but some plastic pieces were breaking and it was just time on that one.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
One of the
Similar. GE double oven lasted about 15 years, replaced the control board once. Ge fridge lasted about 17 years then the auto-defrost drain line started leaking and i was in a time pinch so i opted for new over repair. Technically it still "worked". GE dishwasher is almost 19 years old and still works fine. It has a new and unusual noise now and again, but it's still kicking. Finally the GE microwave made almost 19 years as well. It technically still worked, but some plastic pieces were breaking and it was just time on that one.
Live look at Horshack's kitchen**

outdated_kitchen-ce47aac519be40c0af78287c93f39142.jpg

And here is the washing machine he picked up from Woolworths, still going too.

vintage-washing-machines.jpg

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
it was not that awesome. just bland stainless steel stuff... side note, they really should've matched the formica to the curtains
Looking at that picture, the thing that jumps out to me is some poor ******* put subway tile in like it was going to spruce the place up.

I've said this before, but to all future generations I apologize for the older millennials and all of Gen X... Our women loved subway tile like boomer women loved the color mauve.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Looking at that picture, the thing that jumps out to me is some poor ******* put subway tile in like it was going to spruce the place up.

I've said this before, but to all future generations I apologize for the older millennials and all of Gen X... Our women loved subway tile like boomer women loved the color mauve.
I'm thinking that subway tile is original, not done to spruce it up. Going to be interesting if how popular subway tile is now manages to date it in the future.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I have a Frigidaire gallery that’s about 10 years old. So far I’ve replaced the control board twice, the ice maker tray and components, and the water dispenser stopped working last week. I’ve replaced one part already and it hasn’t fixed it. I may wave the white flag sometime soon and get a new fridge.

Reactions: Jacknut

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Stay away from Samsung and you'll be ok. Parts for Whirlpool/Maytag and GE are readily available so your down time won't be very long when it inevitably craps out

Maytag , whirlpool and kitchenaide are all whirlpool. Just a FYI
As much as people bash Samsung, I've had good luck with them. I'd really like to know what percentage really have problems. If 1 out of a 100 are trash, that's going to sound awful on the internet. But the last fridge I bought I paid I think around $1100 and a comparable GE is apparently $1500.

Save $400 in exchange for a 1% chance that you'll have to pay an extra $1100 doesn't sound like a bad gamble. If it's 10% are trash, then it's still a pretty decent one but you have to account for the hassle of dealing with a broken one.

ETA: I was overstating the differnce in price between them. More like $400 instead of $800.

was21

May 29, 2007
I don’t care what CR recommends, every LG appliance my sister has owned gave them problems within a couple of years. I’m not buying an appliance made by an electronics company. CR also recommends front load washers even though the residential models are all garbage.
Agree about front load residential washers. They all suck by all accounts. We have a Whirlpool top loader that must be at least 20 years old. Recently had to have the water pump replaced and the old repairman told us to hang on to it as long as it could be repaired, that they don't make them like that anymore.

Reactions: dawgman42

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I can vouch for this, the only way I know our Bosch dishwasher is running is the little red light that shines on the floor under it is lit up to let you know it is running because otherwise you can't hear it at all

Reactions: mcdawg22 and Fritz!

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Agree about front load residential washers. They all suck by all accounts. We have a Whirlpool top loader that must be at least 20 years old. Recently had to have the water pump replaced and the old repairman told us to hang on to it as long as it could be repaired, that they don't make them like that anymore.
Exactly what a repairman in Texas told us about our lovely "vintage" 1997 Kenmore top-load washer. He said keep it as long as they make parts for it.

Reactions: was21

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
This is such a timely topic. All I have heard (from three repairman and two co-workers) is to avoid any LG or Samsung fridges. You might get very lucky and have one that works, but heaven forbid you have a problem with them.

I'm looking at Maytag, Whirlpool, GE, and KitchenAid.
My Maytag fridge has done real well. And my GE washer & dryer are hosses too. My only disappointment was a Samsung washer a few years ago. I won't buy another Samsung washer. Don't know about their other appliances.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login